• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadownet

Banned
WHITE TEXT.

BLACK OUTLINE.

UTTERLY READABLE.

GAWD.

d0b2_dark_side_apron.jpg

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
First, I want to thank everyone who helped make our game the number one bestseller on Steam, and to all our players who helped welcome new Commanders into the community. We’re working hard on the game, and it’s great for the team to see so much passion from players.

For those of you who already own Elite: Dangerous from our store and asked about getting the game in your Steam collection: we hear you and we’re looking into it. We can’t speak for other cases where the same question has come up, but turning EliteDangerous.com customers into Steam customers unfortunately isn't 100 percent our decision and isn’t free for us in the context of the game’s ongoing growth and development. It could take a few weeks to work through, but we hear your feedback and addressing it is a priority for all of us.

what a load of ....

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
More spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 12 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Dodge -- MB-EE57D949A1E761B5 - Taken by drakaenae
Cooking Academy: Fire & Knives -- MB-C802A43CC2A7CAF1 - Taken by Shadownet
Guncraft -- MB-147AA5429F68BDD1 - Taken by Chreznor
Bret Airborne -- MB-03AB598318261DCB - Taken by Kifimbo
Elements: Soul of Fire -- MB-262E0F4DC4023E47 - Taken by nightstorm
Foresight -- MB-DB39F8DEB9C3335A - Taken by TheMadMan007
ThreadSpace: Hyperbol -- MB-1A46A65E2F40FF25 - Taken by SSPssp
Alien Breed Trilogy -- MB-E4C1CADD716C7340 - Taken by anastef
Qora -- MB-4539682E0FD5329F - Taken by GaussTek
Sentinel -- MB-CF1E36FCCD135AA7 - Taken by Mavromatis
Stuntmania Reloaded -- MB-05CA2871B9F49A83 - Taken by dot
Fall of the New Age: Premium Edition -- MB-EE38165EFD084414 - Taken by Henry Swanson

Like the idiot that I am, I bought Indie Gala's Friday bundle (the $1 tier) even though I checked my library and realised I didn't need it. I've no idea what I was thinking.

New Daedalic adventure released today:

header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/325520

I was hoping Daedalic would eventually throw in the OST as a pre-order bonus, but alas.

zkylon

zkylewd
that's so bad

why wouldn't they give people steam keys

what could they possibly get from that outside a huge amount of negative rep

I did it again... I had Small world 2, but accidentally redeemed it again. I wonder why steam keeps letting me do that and why I keep doing that (._.)

You probably got it from the last Humble Bundle that had it, which only included the KickStarter bonus content DLC. This bundle has the Complete Edition, which has all of the DLC, and that's why Steam let you redeem it.

Arthea

that's so bad

not saying I agree with their position, but trying to see from position of devs that try to stay away from steam as long as possible, maybe being dependent on Valve and their client has something to do with it. We all love freedom, we can understand that much.
Only... when you already succumbed to temptation, it's too late to play freedom card and it's even more naive to think that people will want to pay for a game second time for no reason.

lashman

that's so bad

and more importantly - what the hell does "isn't 100 percent our decision and isn’t free for us in the context of the game’s ongoing growth and development" even mean?!?

if it looks like bullshit PR damage control ... and it sounds like bullshit PR damage control .... well ....

zkylon

zkylewd
not saying I agree with their position, but trying to see from position of devs that try to stay away from steam as long as possible, maybe being dependent on Valve and their client has something to do with it. We all love freedom, we can understand that much.
Only... when you already succumbed to temptation, it's too late to play freedom card and it's even more naive to think that people will want to pay for a game second time for no reason.

i mean i haven't been following but i'm guessing there was a miscommunication and people ended up expecting steam keys?

like i'm guessing people asked and instead of saying "no, but maybe" they just said "maybe" and no it's just "no" and everyone's pissed

and more importantly - what the hell does "isn't 100 percent our decision and isn’t free for us in the context of the game’s ongoing growth and development" even mean?!?

if it looks like bullshit PR damage control ... and it sounds like bullshit PR damage control .... well ....
i mean iirc wasn't it said steam keys were free for devs?

can't remember the exact context or whatever but i believe that was the case?

lashman

i mean iirc wasn't it said steam keys were free for devs?

can't remember the exact context or whatever but i believe that was the case?

they are ... devs can generate as many keys as they want ... completely free

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell

yeah, I really don't get frontier. I mean I will live should I not get a steam key but even the smallest indie game devs can provide keys after a game got greenlit, but a big(ger) studio like this struggles? I don't buy it...

JaseC

I think what they want to say it's basically this: "Provide Steam keys isn't free for use because we need to use one employee for two days or three until all keys are dispatched, so it costs us money (the employee paycheck for those days)".

Because it's the only way this can cost them money, honestly.

"... isn’t free for us in the context of the game’s ongoing growth and development" = "We lose sales if we provide existing owners with Steam keys". The devs are counting on people to double-dip.

lashman

"... isn’t free for us in the context of the game’s ongoing growth and development" = "We lose sales if we provide existing owners with Steam keys". The devs are counting on people to double-dip.

at that price - yeah, good luck with that ....

Dr Dogg

I don't know if it's Stockholm syndrome from many a holiday shacked up in a relatives cottage in the back of beyond in Gallway with nothing but board games for entertainment but I'm quite partial to them.

Hawaii.

Super long flight, long wait times at the terminal, perfect opportunity to make that dent in a 3DS game when I can't be playing Killing Floor.

Oooh nice. Yeah I imagine that's a pretty long trek for you.

zkylon

zkylewd
that's so very strange then

i wonder if they have some kind of deal with a publisher or something that maybe has some outside plans? something like that...

i can't imagine double-dipping for a game like that to be a meaningful % of sales

like, i can see it on a console/pc thing but on two different pc stores for a game that's still on early access or whatever it sounds a bit far fetched to imagine that it would actually be worth making everyone mad like this

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
I think what they want to say it's basically this: "Provide Steam keys isn't free for use because we need to use one employee for two days or three until all keys are dispatched, so it costs us money (the employee paycheck for those days)".

Because it's the only way this can cost them money, honestly.

You're probably right...

I just think it's sad, without backers, alpha and beta players/buyers this game wouldn't even exist, and now we have to beg for something almost every other game that came to steam after it first release delivers without problems...

Arthea

yeah, that's how I see it too.
That could work if they weren't so adamant about a game not being on steam before, part of those sales they had, they had for this reason alone. Some people would have certainly waited for a game on steam if they knew. And they can't know how many people are like this, maybe all.
Let's say for the sake of argument that they won't give steam keys for existing owners. Part of those will buy the game again, we know some will, we don't need to look for examples far, a mirror could do (><). But! part will be so pissed that they not only won't rebuy it, they stop playing it and won't buy their games in the future. And even those who will double dip will be bitter.
So question is, is it really worth? Who knows.

edited: I'm actually glad I haven't bought it before, I was tempted on several occasions. I probably will end up buying it on steam some day tho.

dex3108

I got answer from Nuuvem and R* haven't told them anything about GTA V region lock. That probably means there is no any kind of Region Lock. I am still waiting response from R* Support :D

And R* Twitter Support gave me this answer

We have not released any info about that. Stay tuned to the Rockstar Newswire for official updates: http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire

Hmmm what to think after this XD

Arthea

Unfinished: Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/unfinished-tom-clancy-s-rainbow-six-siege-04-08-20/2300-10089/

Me neither but how did you remember then that I'm in it too?

I checked my library do I really have it and noticed that you have it too. Isn't that obvious?

I got answer from Nuuvem and R* haven't told them anything about GTA V region lock. That probably means there is no any kind of Region Lock. I am still waiting response from R* Support :D

And R* Twitter Support gave me this answer

Hmmm what to think after this XD

Well, it's obvious they don't wanna anybody to know it's not region locked and take advantage of it.
oh man, are you clueless or what? (><)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Humble Fans!

Here's how the charity works now:
"Humble Bundle will donate the amount you select — less, pro rata, applicable sales taxes, VAT, and payment processor fees (which typically average 5 to 6% across all transactions) — to the PayPal Giving Fund, with the direction that PayPal Giving Fund pay the funds to the charitable organizations as indicated by you."
So Humble will claw back costs, then they give the charity money to a middleman, then the middleman donates to charity, possibly clawing back more? How efficient!

Hope you bought the $32 swag box and gave to charity, because:
"To cover costs for physical merchandise a deduction of $23 plus taxes will be made for qualifying bundles. "
Your charity just got $9/$32 = 28% of your original donation, oh yeah and then there's the sales taxes and payment processor fees and Paypal's cut to deduct as well

It's like the corporate embodiment of the turd emoji.

It seems that I haven't been to my Steam inventory for a while.
Was there an "Item Rewards" category there forever and I forgot about it or is that slightly new?
Like the idiot that I am, I bought Indie Gala's Friday bundle (the $1 tier) even though I checked my library and realised I didn't need it. I've no idea what I was thinking.

It is obvious that you were thinking about gifting Sentinel to me and the rest to others.

zkylon

zkylewd

it's an alpha i guess but that looks kind of boring

Humble Fans!

"Humble Bundle will donate the amount you select &#8212; less, pro rata, applicable sales taxes, VAT, and payment processor fees (which typically average 5 to 6% across all transactions) &#8212; to the PayPal Giving Fund, with the direction that PayPal Giving Fund pay the funds to the charitable organizations as indicated by you."
So Humble will claw back costs, then they give the charity money to a middleman, then the middleman donates to charity, possibly clawing back more? How efficient!

"To cover costs for physical merchandise a deduction of $23 plus taxes will be made for qualifying bundles. "
Your charity just got $9/$32 = 28% of your original donation, oh yeah and then there's the sales taxes and payment processor fees and Paypal's cut to deduct as well

that's pretty terrible

Humble Fans!

"Humble Bundle will donate the amount you select — less, pro rata, applicable sales taxes, VAT, and payment processor fees (which typically average 5 to 6% across all transactions) — to the PayPal Giving Fund, with the direction that PayPal Giving Fund pay the funds to the charitable organizations as indicated by you."

remember when 'Humble' bundle was actually Humble?

JaseC

It seems that I haven't been to my Steam inventory for a while.
Was there an "Item Rewards" category there forever and I forgot about it or is that slightly new?

It's for Summer/Winter Sale items pertaining to games that don't have their own section and was created circa the 2013 Winter Sale. Previously the items resided under the Community section.

It's for Summer/Winter Sale items pertaining to games that don't have their own section and was created circa the 2013 Winter Sale. Previously the items resided under the Community section.
Thanks.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Mavromatis, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic -- MB-D9D0917CD2C1C77D - Taken by DmAc2k6. 6 entrants total.

t1428610251z1.png

Knurek

Humble Fans!

Capital investment at work, people.
Anyone really expected anything else ever since they got $4.7M in 'free' money?

Amzin

I don't really see the complaints? The best way to support a charity is... to donate to that charity. Directly. Humble Bundle lets me buy cheap games while ALSO supporting a charity. As long as they still do that they can claw whatever they need to keep running as far as I'm concerned. Any money for charity > no money for charity.

I don't shop on smile.amazon because I think I'm doing some great service to that charity, I do it because it supports the charity a little bit while doing something I already was going to do. Same with Humble Bundle.

Edit: The PayPal thing is shady I guess... is that the new part? I was assuming the whole thing was new. But everything PayPal does and every partnership involving them gets shady at some point. They basically have the monopoly on easy secure online payments right now, even with the advent of Google Wallet and Amazon payments, so they have been abusing that for years.

I don't shop on smile.amazon because I think I'm doing some great service to that charity, I do it because it supports the charity a little bit while doing something I already was going to do. Same with Humble Bundle.

But you were already buying from amazon when they added smile, were you already buying bundles when humble started?
I don't really remember a bundle before it except the steam 4 packs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom