• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattyG

Banned
If you play a lot of Monster Hunter 4 or want to pick up Xenoblade I think the New 3DS XL is worth upgrading to. Just don't expect it to be a massive upgrade for most games unless you keep the 3D cranked up.

GPU is the better pick if you can only get one though just because it'll make such a massive difference in your day to day gaming for an unlimited amount of games.
I actually just got MH4 and wanted to finally play Xenoblade. Your point about the GPU is good though, it would probably be a better investment in the long run, especially with all the probably demanding games releasing later this year.

I'd probably go with an EVGA one (what my 760 is, I really like it) which is about $560, so I'd probably only have to wait a month or two longer to get it. How much of an upgrade would you say the 980 is from a 760? I'd assume it's really substantial?

_hekk05

Banned
Isn't it generally a bad time to upgrade gpus with new ones releasing soon? Might as well save that for future use.

An upgrade from 3ds xl to new 3ds xl just doesn't seem worth it either.

You don't have to spend your money NOW.

xenoblade is kinda crap tho :<
ibjNTGFtD2MiJw.gif

I actually just got MH4 and wanted to finally play Xenoblade. Your point about the GPU is good though, it would probably be a better investment in the long run, especially with all the probably demanding games releasing later this year.

I'd probably go with an EVGA one (what my 760 is, I really like it) which is about $560, so I'd probably only have to wait a month or two longer to get it. How much of an upgrade would you say the 980 is from a 760? I'd assume it's really substantial?
I'm not familiar with the card but going by benchmarks it was less powerful than a 670 which I had before my 780Ti and it was a massive difference there in terms of maintaining high framerates.

I'm at the point now where I have a 1440P monitor and 4K TV so my 780Ti is practically nothing. Really looking forward to the release of the 980Ti later this year if the rumors had any truth to them. Hopefully I can last that long ;-;

MattyG

Banned
Isn't it generally a bad time to upgrade gpus with new ones releasing soon? Might as well save that for future use.

An upgrade from 3ds xl to new 3ds xl just doesn't seem worth it either.

You don't have to spend your money NOW.
When is a good time to upgrade? Fall? Winter?

I know I don't have to, I've just been thinking of doing one of there two things for a while. Might not even end up doing either, but I'd like to.
I'm not familiar with the card but going by benchmarks it was less powerful than a 670 which I had before my 780Ti and it was a massive difference there in terms of maintaining high framerates.

I'm at the point now where I have a 1440P monitor and 4K TV so my 780Ti is practically nothing now. Really looking forward to the release of the 980Ti later this year if the rumors had any truth to them. Hopefully I can last that long ;-;
Huh. Maybe I should just hold out for the Ti then.

louiedog

Nuuvem has Dead Rising 2 for $5.23 (it's been $5) and DR2:Off the Record for $3.26 (historical low). They're GFWL keys which now redeem on Steam after the GFWL > Steamworks transition.

Dead Rising 3 is $21.19.

MattyG

Banned
Whatever you do, buy an SSD asap. Life without isn't worth living.
I'm definitely going to do that as soon as Windows 10 releases, regardless of if I upgrade my GPU.

T... The Evil Within only gets worse.
How is this possible?
I don't know, but it is. I actually never finished it because I got to a point in chapter 11 where all the floors disappeared half the time and events wouldn't trigger the other half of the time. I literally couldn't progress at all. It still pisses me off, because I was really liking it up until chapter 9 or 10. Then I hit a wall of shit and game breaking bugs.

Forgive me MD. I still love you.. I just can't love Sebastian.

are you killing me in that picture or just crying

hard to tell
Both. I'm crying because I can't believe such words were typed.

I've had no technical issues with the Evil Within. Need to get back to the Assignment, played for an hour or so and got scared enough to where I haven't gone back. I've found it harder and harder to play horror games over the years. Not really sure why but I still love them.

Turfster

I don't know, but it is. I actually never finished it because I got to a point in chapter 11 where all the floors disappeared half the time and events wouldn't trigger the other half of the time. I literally couldn't progress at all. It still pisses me off, because I was really liking it up until chapter 9 or 10. Then I hit a wall of shit and game breaking bugs.

I'm like 3 chapters in and my seething hatred for the broken systems - which appear to be ALL of them - only continues to grow.

I'm like 3 chapters in and my seething hatred for the broken systems - which appear to be ALL of them - only continues to grow.
What's broken exactly?

And I really dislike the remember prompts in the genre now. I'd rather say something and not have it made obvious that it'll have repercussions.

zkylon

zkylewd
Both. I'm crying because I can't believe such words were typed.

i mean i thought it was really boring and didn't care for the story or the characters and while it had some pretty wowing moments in regards to the scale of the world and the size of some enemies and towns and everything, your actual interaction with all of them was limited to a simplified mmo-esque combat and nothing else. things like building the town sounded great but amounted to a lot of grinding and fetch-questing. the combat was fun initially and i liked the diversity between characters but shulk was broken as hell and sadly also one of the most boring characters to play with

and considering the pedigree of xenosaga and xenogears it was disappointingly safe with its story

it wasn't like terrible but it was pretty lame

Turfster

What's broken exactly?
The camera. Everything about it.
The super finnicky pickup/use prompting, which is related to point 1.
The "stealth".
The arbitrary collision meshing. "This plant is exactly the same as that other one, but you can't walk through this one."
Worst idTech pop-in ever.

_hekk05

Banned
When is a good time to upgrade? Fall? Winter?

I know I don't have to, I've just been thinking of doing one of there two things for a while. Might not even end up doing either, but I'd like to.

Huh. Maybe I should just hold out for the Ti then.

At least wait for AMD's new line to come out, in hopes of a lower price. Or wait a bit more for Nvidia's new line.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
ozVJk6E.png

Today I turn 26, man I've wasted my life, anyway here is a give-away, obviously you will get the gift when it gets announced.next year.
Happy birthday Orange!

Guys, checkout my thread about an upcoming indie game called Rocketboat.

I think it's really cool. And I believe it will come to Steam eventually.
I don't know whether this screen reminds me of Sonic 1 or Super Mario Bros 2.

i mean i thought it was really boring and didn't care for the story or the characters and while it had some pretty wowing moments in regards to the scale of the world and the size of some enemies and towns and everything, your actual interaction with all of them was limited to a simplified mmo-esque combat and nothing else. things like building the town sounded great but amounted to a lot of grinding and fetch-questing. the combat was fun initially and i liked the diversity between characters but shulk was broken as hell and sadly also one of the most boring characters to play with

and considering the pedigree of xenosaga and xenogears it was disappointingly safe with its story

I thought the combat was great and I was consistently involved in the battles given how important positioning is. Creating chains was also a lot of fun as you got to use all of the character's abilities at once.

And I didn't really mind the town quests being somewhat simple. The dialogue tended to be pretty engaging and reactive as you interacted with more and more of the townfolk. Probably one of my favorite parts of the game, especially as certain NPCs would move from town to town and depending on how you completed their quest the dialogue would change a bit. Seeing all the threads connect really made the towns feel alive in a way they usually don't in jrpgs.

The story was definitely the most disappointing aspect in terms of feeling safe given the pedigree of its successors but the stellar voice actor made it engaging enough. I do hope X is more ambitious in that regard.

It's the most fun I had with a JRPG last generation and certainly the first of the 3D era to actually replicate the sense of scale you got with the earliest 2D jrpgs in a modern way.

The camera. Everything about it.
The super finnicky pickup/use prompting, which is related to point 1.
The "stealth".
The arbitrary collision meshing. "This plant is exactly the same as that other one, but you can't walk through this one."
Worst idTech pop-in ever.

What's wrong with the stealth? I thought it had a great flow to it and there's a good variety in the ways you can create distractions, What video card are you using? I actually remember thinking that the game didn't suffer from any of the pop in issues that I'd come to expect from Rage.

I can't really comment on the camera, it didn't bother me at all but I seem to think that about most games where people complain about it. The 3D Ninja Gaiden games are the only ones that I can think of that are actively frustrating.

tmarg

So I have a couple hundred bucks from my birthday, and some more money coming my way soon. I'm debating between getting a New 3DS XL next week, or waiting a month or two and getting a GTX 980 (I'd probably have to upgrade my PSU and get an SSD and new case at the same time though).

Asking whether you should get a $200 console or about $800 worth of PC parts is kinda an unfair question.

I will say that I haven't really felt any need to upgrade from my standard XL, MH actually plays just fine using the lock on system, and if I was going to play Xenoblade I'd much rather play the Wii version. I know that 3DS games usually look better in person, but the screen shots look really rough.

Turfster

What's wrong with the stealth? I thought it had a great flow to it and there's a good variety in the ways you can create distractions, What video card are you using? I actually remember thinking that the game didn't suffer from any of the pop in issues that I'd come to expect from Rage.

The stealth is pretty much a joke. Half the time, you're sneaking and they can see you, somehow, despite being in dark shadows... but then other times, you're running away from one of them, crouch, and suddenly boom, you're invisible and they run up against you a few times searching for you and then give up.

Also, a GTX970, so... yeah.

Xenoblade looks like garbage on the Wi(it has the opposite program of games looking far worse on a TV)i so if that's your only option I think the 3DS version is comparable enough. The existence of dolphin makes it hard for me to think about spending too much time with the port though, it just looks so good with AA and higher resolutions. Not to mention the high resolution texture/ui mod.

The stealth is pretty much a joke. Half the time, you're sneaking and they can see you... and then you're running away from one of them, crouch, and suddenly boom, you're invisible and they run up against you a few times searching for you and then give up.

Also, a GTX970, so... yeah.
There are a lot of enemies in the game so often times you just miss one who happens to spot you and subsequently alerts the rest of the group. And it's hard to do proper alert states without letting them chase you indefinitely and becoming frustrating. I remember enemies becoming pretty aggressive later on, chapter 3 is very early on in the game.

zkylon

zkylewd
I thought the combat was great and I was consistently involved in the battles given how important positioning is. Creating chains was also a lot of fun as you got to use all of the character's abilities at once.

And I didn't really mind the town quests being somewhat simple. The dialogue tended to be pretty engaging and reactive as you interacted with more and more of the townfolk. Probably one of my favorite parts of the game, especially as certain NPCs would move from town to town and depending on how you completed their quest the dialogue would change a bit. Seeing all the threads connect really made the towns feel alive in a way they usually don't in jrpgs.

The story was definitely the most disappointing aspect in terms of feeling safe given the pedigree of its successors but the stellar voice actor made it engaging enough. I do hope X is more ambitious in that regard.

It's the most fun I had with a JRPG last generation and certainly the first of the 3D era to actually replicate the sense of scale you got with the earliest 2D jrpgs in a modern way.
you know what i would've really enjoyed? being able to swap characters in the middle combat

but i duno, i had a very different experience with the combat being super repetitive thorough. i constantly swapped characters to keep things fresh but clearly the more aggressive characters were much more fun, but tbh i got tired of them as well

i did a lot of questing until i gave up a bunch of hours in because i couldn't stand any more of it. i enjoyed very few of them, at least the actual questing part, and when i grew tired of the combat i stopped doing anymore. there's a few fun ones but most of them felt a slog to go through, in no small part because everything is so gigantic and it's not always clear when people's around or whatever (and in any case you have to memorize where they are).

i don't disagree with the whole "sense of scale" thing and it's the one element that it's an absolute triumph about the game but other than that it was exactly what you'd expect of a single-player mmo, very repetitive and grindy with a pretty by-the-numbers story

specially in direct comparison to xenosaga that i had played a few months earlier it felt like a million steps backwards in ambition, specially in story, but also combat.

Xenoblade looks like garbage on the Wi(it has the opposite program of games looking far worse on a TV)i so if that's your only option I think the 3DS version is comparable enough. The existence of dolphin makes it hard for me to think about spending too much time with the port though, it just looks so good with AA and higher resolutions. Not to mention the high resolution texture/ui mod.
yea i didn't bother with the mods or anything and had some serious sound issues at first but fixed them somehow and cruised through it at a decent-ish framerate (i think it's capped at 30?) and game looked pretty great

lots and lots of lovely grass

MattyG

Banned
Asking whether you should get a $200 console or about $800 worth of PC parts is kinda an unfair question.

I will say that I haven't really felt any need to upgrade from my standard XL, MH actually plays just fine using the lock on system, and if I was going to play Xenoblade I'd much rather play the Wii version. I know that 3DS games usually look better in person, but the screen shots look really rough.
True. It was more "get this smaller purchase now or wait to get a more expensive item" thing, but I know what you mean.

MH4 does work well on the normal XL. It's definitely playable and enjoyable, but I can see the c-stick being a massive help.

daredevil tomorrow yeahhhh
I'm ready to binge the shit out of it.

very funny

edited: talking about funny, what's with steam folk not getting over mobile games making to steam. As if everybody and their grandma plays on their bloody phones.

Horrible ports are my main problem with them. The games themselves being insipid trash would be my second complaint. Beyond that... eugh, mobile.

zkylon where's the /s?! I CAN'T FIND IT!

Jawmuncher

zkylon is right about Xenoblade. its not bad but hardly the greatness a lot of people claim. Freedom = 1.05 pretty much summed it up awhile back. paraphrasing from memory but right place right time, exclusive, and being a tad different from the jrpgs of late around its release did a lot for it. like i said its not a bad game, but some people seem to go pretty overboard about just how good it is.

Salsa

im not one to call foul on the mods or threads here ever really but good lord there were 6 Bloodborne threads on the first page of gaming 1 minute ago

"bloodborne players, does it remind you of X?"

"players who havent played souls before, how you holding up?"

"players who have played it, how you holding up?"

"am I crazy for bloodborne making me think of x?"

what do they even discuss in the OT then?

im all for big releases getting discussed but you guys better be up for 10 witcher 3 threads then

Salsa

I wish there was a thread to talk about stuff we don't like here.

:p

this is it

stump likes us too much to ban us

im not even saying close the threads im just saying this will generate problems if games start getting 5 threads at the same time and mods decide to close em

"hey you let 10 bloodborne threads going at the same time but not this? GAF sony shills!"

zkylon

zkylewd
zkylon where's the /s?! I CAN'T FIND IT!
lol

sorry

i don't mean to hate on the game as i find it generally harmless but yeah... it's not great

zkylon is right about Xenoblade. its not bad but hardly the greatness a lot of people claim. Freedom = 1.05 pretty much summed it up awhile back. paraphrasing from memory but right place right time, exclusive, and being a tad different from the jrpgs of late around its release did a lot for it. like i said its not a bad game, but some people seem to go pretty overboard about just how good it is.
i dunno about these reasons as i played it much later but it did nail some of the same things that skyrim did of scale and exploring and all that, and that seems to get people happy, sometimes overlooking some other issues

it's nowhere near as bad as skyrim tho

The exclusive argument tends to be really silly given the reception of games like Lair, Ryse The Order, and so on.
i mean, yeah, but xenoblade is not a terrible game like those, and it's a much more significant game than like fucking lair haha

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
im all for big releases getting discussed but you guys better be up for 10 witcher 3 threads then

I can feel a Witcher 3 backlash a brewin' deep in my bones. It won't make Skyrim players happy, it won't do anything Dragon Age fans, it doesn't hoist any banners for console warriors, won't be the be all and end all of PC performance, and there'll no small amount of previous Witcher fans who'll be disappointed in something.

This is where you disregard my warnings and call me a crazy old man.

Anteater

I can feel a Witcher 3 backlash a brewin' deep in my bones. It won't make Skyrim players happy, it won't do anything Dragon Age fans, it doesn't hoist any banners for console warriors, won't be the be all and end all of PC performance, and there'll no small amount of previous Witcher fans who'll be disappointed in something.

giphybvj10.gif

tmarg

im not one to call foul on the mods or threads here ever really but good lord there were 6 Bloodborne threads on the first page of gaming 1 minute ago

Moving all the good threads to community has kind of made gaming a cesspool.

I'm sure there will be plenty of Witcher threads in any event.

tmarg

This is where you disregard my warnings and call me a crazy old man.

I don't actually like the Witcher series anyway, I find all the love it gets rather confusing, except for the fact that people like the way CDP operate.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

People are really worried how Gaf in general is perceiving the next big exclusive especially after the blow that was The Order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom