• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmarg

People are really worried how Gaf in general is perceiving the next big exclusive especially after the blow that was The Order.

I don't know if you can say that's all of it, there are a ton of threads about all of From's releases. It's certainly the first console exclusive this gen that I'm actually upset about missing.

People are really worried how Gaf in general is perceiving the next big exclusive especially after the blow that was The Order.

I think the problem with all the Bloodborne threads that some of these threads are threads that dont really make sense other than talk about one topic about the game outside the OT.
The same happened to Destiny though.

"How does your character look like."
"What does a first time Soul player like about Bloodborne."
"Bloodborne is good. Lets praise the game with another topic."
"How many gave up on Bloodborne."
etc

_hekk05

Banned
Ehh bloodborne isn't really a mainstream AAA me thinks. The fanbase is just really REALLY dedicated.

Anyway witcher 3 is multiplat innit? So there's going to be at least 1 OT, 1 muhframerates thread, 1 newcomers to witcher thread, 1 spoilers-free thread, 1 lore thread, 2 lttps for the previous games.

7 threads. Nt bad

tmarg

I think the problem with all the Bloodborne threads that some of these threads are threads that dont really make sense other than talk about one topic about the game outside the OT.

I think half the time people just think their opinion is too important to get buried on page 189 of the OT, so they make a new thread just to give themselves a soapbox.

I can feel a Witcher 3 backlash a brewin' deep in my bones. It won't make Skyrim players happy, it won't do anything Dragon Age fans, it doesn't hoist any banners for console warriors, won't be the be all and end all of PC performance, and there'll no small amount of previous Witcher fans who'll be disappointed in something.

This is where you disregard my warnings and call me a crazy old man.
No need to pander to Skyrim fans, because they are the lowest open world denominator. If you are a fan of DA:O, well, Witcher series always had better writing, gameplay is dead since the first DA anyway. If you are a fan of DA:I, I don't know why you won't like Witcher if you could stomach Inquisition. We all know most console players love anything pretty and open world (see Inquisition), and PC gamers weren't asking for another Crysis.

how come

feel free to participate in the discussion by writing a bit more if you want

I'm currently playing through it now and I'm really enjoying it. The scale is huge and it feels like one of the biggest games that I've played. This does make completing some quests a bit slow as you have to traverse huge plains but the quick travel does help out with that. Of course, there are so many to do that I've stopped doing them to avoid being overpowered. I think that it would have worked better if there were fewer sidequests but with deeper stories. I'm just doing quests that involve something more than collecting items or killing monsters, for example finding lost people.

I enjoy the combat because it reminds me of KOTOR but it's a bit more tactical as the position of your character is important when using different attacks. This is accompanied by some excellent music and amazing voice acting that really brings the team together. The quick time events are done well and make stringing combos together a welcome challenge. I feel that the Monado could be used a bit more because changing the future of the battle is a cool idea that I'd like to do more often.

For me, the story takes a back seat in games so if it doesn't shock me like Game of Thrones, I don't mind. So far though, it's kept me interested in journey of Shulk and Co so I'm interested to learn more about the world's history and ultimate fate. The Mechon are a looming threat and, now that I'm in Alcamoth,
a new story seems to be showing itself (the plot against Melia)

I can feel a Witcher 3 backlash a brewin' deep in my bones. It won't make Skyrim players happy, it won't do anything Dragon Age fans, it doesn't hoist any banners for console warriors, won't be the be all and end all of PC performance, and there'll no small amount of previous Witcher fans who'll be disappointed in something.

This is where you disregard my warnings and call me a crazy old man.

Don't worry, there are gamers who are easy to be pleased, such as me.
I love RPGs ranging from the hardcore & deep ones such as BG series and PoE, but I also love "shallow" RPGs such as DA:Inquisition. Can't wait for the Witcher 3.
Am I the only one?

zkylon

zkylewd
Lair is a masterpiece that I have finished three times and enjoyed every second of. I'm not crazy I swear ;-;
lol

now tell me you hate persona and we will forever sworn enemies <3

I'm currently playing through it now and I'm really enjoying it. The scale is huge and it feels like one of the biggest games that I've played. This does make completing some quests a bit slow as you have to traverse huge plains but the quick travel does help out with that. Of course, there are so many to do that I've stopped doing them to avoid being overpowered. I think that it would have worked better if there were fewer sidequests but with deeper stories. I'm just doing quests that involve something more than collecting items or killing monsters, for example finding lost people.

I enjoy the combat because it reminds me of KOTOR but it's a bit more tactical as the position of your character is important when using different attacks. This is accompanied by some excellent music and amazing voice acting that really brings the team together. The quick time events are done well and make stringing combos together a welcome challenge. I feel that the Monado could be used a bit more because changing the future of the battle is a cool idea that I'd like to do more often.

For me, the story takes a back seat in games so if it doesn't shock me like Game of Thrones, I don't mind. So far though, it's kept me interested in journey of Shulk and Co so I'm interested to learn more about the world's history and ultimate fate. The Mechon are a looming threat and, now that I'm in Alcamoth,
a new story seems to be showing itself (the plot against Melia)
i don't think the game had to be badshit insane like xenosaga to be interesting story wise, but it should've managed to at least build a few likable characters

and like i think the only character i like is the eye patch guy, everyone else is just uninteresting, specially shulk.

to me a lot of what you're saying just felt shallow and underdeveloped. preventing your teammates from getting killed sounds like such an awesome concept but then it's executed so simply that usually just amounts to using a different attack

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
that's quite the naughty attitude for you to have before a game release

have some faith in cdpr

No need to pander to Skyrim fans, because they are the lowest open world denominator. If you are a fan of DA:O, well, Witcher series always had better writing, gameplay is dead since the first DA anyway. If you are a fan of DA:I, I don't know why you won't like Witcher if you could stomach Inquisition. We all know most console players love anything pretty and open world (see Inquisition), and PC gamers weren't asking for another Crysis.

My 'premonition' really isn't about CDPR or even the game itself, actually. It's mostly a hunch based on the amount of hype the game has gotten and how long it's been hyped. My expectation is that there's a large amount of people with unrealistically high expectations for the game. Maybe a lot like Watch_Dogs. I see a lot of people asking if they have to have played Witcher 1 and 2 to play 3, and the question always makes me wonder what it is about 3 that's piqued their interest if they've never bothered with the first two---If you're hard up for a 'serious' fantasy setting with lots ambiguity, you're not exactly drowning in choice.

Maybe I'm imagining a large non-existent group of folks who expect Witcher 3 to be Grand Theft Horse meets Elder Scrolls: All Your Frustrated Fantasies About Consequence, with a dash of Crysis: The Objectively Best Graphics Ever.

I probably am, and it's not like you can actually measure things like hype or backlash so it'd be silly to insist on how right or wrong I'll end up being.

lol

now tell me you hate persona and we will forever sworn enemies <3

i don't think the game had to be badshit insane like xenosaga to be interesting story wise, but it should've managed to at least build a few likable characters

and like i think the only character i like is the eye patch guy, everyone else is just uninteresting, specially shulk.

to me a lot of what you're saying just felt shallow and underdeveloped. preventing your teammates from getting killed sounds like such an awesome concept but then it's executed so simply that usually just amounts to using a different attack

The voice acting really helped me like a lot of the characters. Dunban, the eye patch guy, is one of my favourites but I also really like Shulk and Reyn. Especially Reyn because of some of his phrases. I might have initially placed a lot in their voices but, as a result, I like following their stories.

I feel that I'm still getting to grips with the Monado so even something as simple as using a different attack keeps my attention because I have to work out the right attack in battle before the enemy attacks which can happen quite quickly if I'm not thinking right.

HoosTrax

I kind of want to buy Injustice and MK because my friends all seem to play it when we get together. But I'm clueless when it comes to fighting games in general. (I never got beyond the "spam Hadouken" step when I was a kid playing SF)

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

UFO AFTERMATH -- MB-90FD4B08C8A3A146
YELAXOT -- MB-FA19F07A990C59F9 - Taken by rainking187

Jawmuncher

lol

sorry

i don't mean to hate on the game as i find it generally harmless but yeah... it's not great

i dunno about these reasons as i played it much later but it did nail some of the same things that skyrim did of scale and exploring and all that, and that seems to get people happy, sometimes overlooking some other issues

it's nowhere near as bad as skyrim tho

i mean, yeah, but xenoblade is not a terrible game like those, and it's a much more significant game than like fucking lair haha

I don't like Skyrim but at least it has actual side quests and places to explore. Xenoblade was basically just grand pulse from ff13 in that regard. You get some cool locales from the story but not really much to do.

The actual side quests are the ones in the cities where you help people find love, save children, and so on. You aren't supposed to finish every monster quest 23 in the game, you just pick them up and complete them naturally on the way to the next area.

Seeing how all of the NPCs in a city relate to one another was great, especially as their relations shifted as you completed other missions. There's a lot of personality to the game.

Jawmuncher

My 'premonition' really isn't about CDPR or even the game itself, actually. It's mostly a hunch based on the amount of hype the game has gotten and how long it's been hyped. My expectation is that there's a large amount of people with unrealistically high expectations for the game. Maybe a lot like Watch_Dogs. I see a lot of people asking if they have to have played Witcher 1 and 2 to play 3, and the question always makes me wonder what it is about 3 that's piqued their interest if they've never bothered with the first two---If you're hard up for a 'serious' fantasy setting with lots ambiguity, you're not exactly drowning in choice.

Maybe I'm imagining a large non-existent group of folks who expect Witcher 3 to be Grand Theft Horse meets Elder Scrolls: All Your Frustrated Fantasies About Consequence, with a dash of Crysis: The Objectively Best Graphics Ever.

I probably am, and it's not like you can actually measure things like hype or backlash so it'd be silly to insist on how right or wrong I'll end up being.

I completely agree. Disregarding my enjoyment of watcher 2 which I just found alright. I've been wondering the same thing as well. 3rd game in a series a lot of excited people have never even played in any capacity or know its roots. Granted a good game can get past those things, but it really does put it in a odd place on the console side. I don't see it being a massive failure or badly reviewed, but the backlash is almost assured in some regard one way or another.

The actual side quests are the ones in the cities where you help people find love, save children, and so on. You aren't supposed to finish every monster quest 23 in the game, you just pick them up and complete them naturally on the way to the next area.

Seeing how all of the NPCs in a city relate to one another was great, especially as their relations shifted as you completed other missions. There's a lot of personality to the game.

I did those missions as well and found them bland. Neat these characters that have no bearing or lasting impression on me got what they want. Neat. So I don't come off as highly negative I enjoyed the main cast and characters and the story itself worked pretty well. I would still tell many to play it, but with far more reasonable expectations. Maybe I'm just salty that I imported it.

zkylon

zkylewd
The voice acting really helped me like a lot of the characters. Dunban, the eye patch guy, is one of my favourites but I also really like Shulk and Reyn. Especially Reyn because of some of his phrases. I might have initially placed a lot in their voices but, as a result, I like following their stories.

I feel that I'm still getting to grips with the Monado so even something as simple as using a different attack keeps my attention because I have to work out the right attack in battle before the enemy attacks which can happen quite quickly if I'm not thinking right.
yea if you liked the characters it's fair, i think a big part of why xenoblade was so disappointing for me is that i was hot off the heels of xenosaga and i was like THIS IS THE BEST SHIT EVER OMG ITS LIKE NGEVANGELION IN VIDEOGAMES so going back to shulk and friends having their village attacked by robots and having to save the world was kind of super lame in comparison

but to be fair everything is super lame in comparison to xenosaga

I don't like Skyrim but at least it has actual side quests and places to explore. Xenoblade was basically just grand pulse from ff13 in that regard. You get some cool locales from the story but not really much to do.

both skyrim and xenoblade have the same issue for me

they're sprawling, massive worlds with a shit ton of places to go and explore

but then all you can do is kill stuff

in xenoblade you can go on dates with people and build a town but none of those are really deep enough to offset all the combat focus

and in skyrim every time someone opens their mouth you feel like punching them in the face. i think you can do other things but i never get past the first town because of how boring i find it...

so i end up preferring more intimate smaller scale rpgs like the witcher (since we're talking witcha here) that just focus on having very good character interactions and consistently interesting quests with different endings and fun twist and turns

nothing is better than zkyrim
no

Skyrim was crap. Once mods appeared and it turned into zkyrim tho...

10/10 waifus goty

no

gross

EDF is a lot of mindless fun. Very surprised. I was expecting a mess tbh.

Sure the visuals are not that hot and PC settings are almost non-existent but once you get in the groove of insect-murderspree, the joy knows no bounds!

I like ants usually but seeing dozens of truck-sized ones rushing towards and spitting juices on you made it a fun romp exterminating them. So squishy.

The classes themselves feel very distinct and play very different as well. I tried the Jet and the Heavy classes. Both were fun.
You have to play each class to unlock its special new weapons and perks so there is good reason to change up playstyles and even replay missions.

All in all I am enjoying it.
9A110D09CE922DBD7867454AEB6A060B506A9D6E
6E8D733C006CFA70A27EFC651A65683F3F862CA0

7E09A513C96ED74BD369E272265588AC5B640949
CC5A1DAD80C54FBEA85AB5B29A510C683D4B1E2D

r3n4ud

EDF is a lot of mindless fun. Very surprised. I was expecting a mess tbh.

Sure the visuals are not that hot and PC settings are almost non-existent but once you get in the groove of insect-murderspree, the joy knows no bounds!

I like ants usually but seeing dozens of truck-sized ones rushing towards and spitting juices on you made it a fun romp exterminating them. So squishy.

The classes themselves feel very distinct and play very different as well. I tried the Jet and the Heavy classes. Both were fun.
You have to play each class to unlock its special new weapons and perks so there is good reason to change up playstyles and even replay missions.

All in all I am enjoying it.
Wanted to pick it up during the winter sale, but didn't receive a discount :/

Jawmuncher

Still wondering if I should play watcher 2 again or bother with 1 maybe. Did
roaches
side and was pretty indifferent by the end of it. Don't know if maybe I just missed something or what. Might expectations might have been too high. Then again I've read some of the books as well and it just hasn't stuck all that much. Maybe its just one of those things I just can't like no matter how much I try to fool myself. Already bought watcher 3 though, so ill be playing that regardless.

I couldn't finish Outlast, first person games where you're being constantly chased are too much for my heart. At least in Alien you have some tools to help you survive. Outlast is just relentless in the chases.

I did get through both Amnesia games for the writing, although I didn't finish the first game until a cousin was visiting.

I played Outlast for nearly 2 hours, IIRC.

Couldn't tolerate it. It wasn't fun.

As soon as I got my trading cards I closed it and don't regret it at all.

Turfster

It's all it has going for it. The AI is really poor and the whole game is easily forgettable. It had some pretty effects here and there, but wasn't a particularly great horror game.
I like its sense of "self" (mostly), which is something I'd like to replicate in my own project, but yeah, as soon as it started basically going "Boo! Got you!" at me for no reason, I was out. Jump scares aren't scary, they're just annoying.

Don't post spiders brah!
Don't you worry. So far only ants and ticks. Don't like ticks. Was bitten twice irl but nothing bad happened.

Spiders will come though. And by the looks of the greatly/grossly detailed ants, I am expecting a treat!
Wanted to pick it up during the winter sale, but didn't receive a discount :/
Oh, sorry to hear buddy. I got it in Summer '14 for less than 5€ with all DLC. Don't remember if it was Russia.
Wait, it was freshVeggie's birthday the other day? How did I miss that? Happy (belated) Birthday Veggie!
Thank you buddy!

I think jump scares are effective in small doses. If you're afraid of something popping out you definitely take a more methodical approach to roaming about, or at least I do. I played a few hours of Outlast and there were only two jump scares that I remember. It's not the focus.

Turfster

I think jump scares are effective in small doses. If you're afraid of something popping out you definitely take a more methodical approach to roaming about, or at least I do.

The first one was basically
grabbing the FPS camera (big no-no), dropping a corpse and 'screaming' at me for added 'effect'. It's beyond juvenile, and the literal equivalent of grabbing someone and just yelling 'boo' in their face to 'scare' them. Without the camera grab and the stupid scream, it might even have been effective
It undid everything the effective stuff before it
shadow in front of a window, door being closed when you approach, etc
had done to create a sense of tension and creeping horror.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
ozVJk6E.png

Today I turn 26, man I've wasted my life, anyway here is a give-away, obviously you will get the gift when it gets announced.next year.

Happy birthday, mrorange!

Also late happy birthday to the freshest veggie around :)

Happy late birthday to you, veggie.

The camera. Everything about it.
The super finnicky pickup/use prompting, which is related to point 1.
The "stealth".
The arbitrary collision meshing. "This plant is exactly the same as that other one, but you can't walk through this one."
Worst idTech pop-in ever.

Do you have the fov fix? Have you disabled the letterboxing? Have you made it past chapter 3 yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom