• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messiah

Anyway, what do you guys do with your steam cards?
Do you sell them or collect them for badges?

Ou9YY7e.png

I don't even want to know how much money I put into badges and emotes

Also I am a little salty that all previous Neptunia badges are superior to the level 5 one.

Anteater

I'm a "go to whichever platform that has the games i want as long as I have money" kind of guy.

I like tweaking and shit but I actually don't like building computers so I've been on consoles mostly up until this gen. I'm that guy who argue about some games should be 60fps and some games should aim for native resolution/graphicz and shit, so having the option to choose whichever is nice for a change.

abracadaver

from yesterdays bundle:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

realMyst: Masterpiece Edition -- MB-B040038009F167CA - Taken by ExoSoul. 12 entrants total.

t1428758760z1.png

derExperte

While people who never have played Half-Life (2) weird me out I myself have never played any Myst despite becoming a PC gamer right when the series started and got big.

And I craft badges for games I liked as soon as the card prices drop towards 10c. Before that I sell or sometimes gamble on getting an expensive wallpaper/emoticon.

baterism

I see.
Pretty varied responses.

This is me right now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My rule of thumb on badge: never pay more than 50 cents for a steam badge.

--------

Speaking of laptop, having a rather decent laptop is amazing. You can just bring it on you bag and connect it to tv on friends house for local co-op goodness.

I create a LVL1 badge or trade/sell the cards if they're spares.

Haven't completely fallen down the rabbit hole of leveling up badges, even for the games I love love. Pretty happy with collecting LVL1 ones all round so far really.

r3n4ud

While people who never have played Half-Life (2) weird me out I myself have never played any Myst despite becoming a PC gamer right when the series started and got big.
I started playing Half-life for the first time yesterday and had to stop an hour in. Like Shadow Warrior, I was really nauseous even with the fov fix. Have to play those games in small doses :/

Purkake4

Banned
Hey, there's still a perfectly good Sinister City here, with cards and everything

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Sinister City -- MB-548E466188CDB984 - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 1 entrants total.

t1428714777z1.png

I've kept all of them and can't decide whether I want to sell or create badges ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My rule of thumb on badge: never pay more than 50 cents for a steam badge.

--------

Speaking of laptop, having a rather decent laptop is amazing. You can just bring it on you bag and connect it to tv on friends house for local co-op goodness.

50 cents? Fair enough.
I'll keep that in mind, thanks! :D

I put an hour into Words for Evil. Some quick impressions:

The graphics: Big Pixels!(tm) I'll admit some of it is done well, like the backgrounds. But in some cases I'm looking at the enemy, reading the name and I'm thinking, "Oh, is THAT what that's supposed to be?" I know some indie developers are still in love with the big pixel and THAT'S FINE, but if you're going to do that, at least make sure that every pixel counts and you're not sacrificing conveyance for it.

The gameplay: Control up to three characters at a time, each with various powers. Fight enemies by spelling words from a board of letter tiles. You do damage to the enemy if your words contain the coloured tiles corresponding to your characters. The bigger your word, the more surrounding tiles get used so you can activate higher powers and/or have more than one character attack simultaneously. So far, not bad. It's real-time, not turn-based, so you can either spend time tanking a few hits to find a good word, or you can churn out a few smaller words, so it's a bit of strategy. One big sticking point is that the vocabulary is limited to words of seven letters or smaller, so if you're really giddy that you've found an eight-letter word, tough luck, chum.

The game does mix it up sometimes with two other mini-games: traps (clear all the letters from a board or take damage) and loot chests (spell a five-letter word given two choices of letter for each of the five positions.) Traps were a pretty good challenge: oftentimes I could clear the board or leave one tile but I had to do some thinking. Loot chests were mostly too easy: I could see it improved by adding a third letter to each column. Also, if a character drops to zero health it has a chance to revive itself with an anagram: seven letters. If you can find the seven-letter word you get full health. Find a six-letter word for half health. Five and below will do nothing. My first word? "Envyned," a word that's apparently archaic and not even found in some dictionaries. Needless to say, that character died.

The story: If there is one I haven't found it. It's just advance, spell words, level up, repeat. Checking the forums, apparently there isn't even an ending. There are six worlds, but the sixth one is endless. So I can only assume that the metric for success is the amount of gold you get. Which in a sense is okay, but it would have been better served with a tangible goal.

The verdict: This game isn't bad, but it feels like a discount alternative to PopCap's "Bookworm Adventures," which in my opinion was a superior game in pretty much every respect. At least in that one you could spell up to twelve-letter words and feel pro for finding one. In fact, all Words for Evil did was serve as a reminder of how fun Bookworm Adventures was, and I put the sequel on my wishlist. But WFE is cheaper and it has cards, so if those are important to you and you still want a spelling experience, I won't tell you to avoid it or anything.

ExoSoul

Banned
I put an hour into Words for Evil. Some quick impressions:

The graphics: Big Pixels!(tm) I'll admit some of it is done well, like the backgrounds. But in some cases I'm looking at the enemy, reading the name and I'm thinking, "Oh, is THAT what that's supposed to be?" I know some indie developers are still in love with the big pixel and THAT'S FINE, but if you're going to do that, at least make sure that every pixel counts and you're not sacrificing conveyance for it.

The gameplay: Control up to three characters at a time, each with various powers. Fight enemies by spelling words from a board of letter tiles. You do damage to the enemy if your words contain the coloured tiles corresponding to your characters. The bigger your word, the more surrounding tiles get used so you can activate higher powers and/or have more than one character attack simultaneously. So far, not bad. It's real-time, not turn-based, so you can either spend time tanking a few hits to find a good word, or you can churn out a few smaller words, so it's a bit of strategy. One big sticking point is that the vocabulary is limited to words of seven letters or smaller, so if you're really giddy that you've found an eight-letter word, tough luck, chum.

The game does mix it up sometimes with two other mini-games: traps (clear all the letters from a board or take damage) and loot chests (spell a five-letter word given two choices of letter for each of the five positions.) Traps were a pretty good challenge: oftentimes I could clear the board or leave one tile but I had to do some thinking. Loot chests were mostly too easy: I could see it improved by adding a third letter to each column. Also, if a character drops to zero health it has a chance to revive itself with an anagram: seven letters. If you can find the seven-letter word you get full health. Find a six-letter word for half health. Five and below will do nothing. My first word? "Envyned," a word that's apparently archaic and not even found in some dictionaries. Needless to say, that character died.

The story: If there is one I haven't found it. It's just advance, spell words, level up, repeat. Checking the forums, apparently there isn't even an ending. There are six worlds, but the sixth one is endless. So I can only assume that the metric for success is the amount of gold you get. Which in a sense is okay, but it would have been better served with a tangible goal.

The verdict: This game isn't bad, but it feels like a discount alternative to PopCap's "Bookworm Adventures," which in my opinion was a superior game in pretty much every respect. At least in that one you could spell up to twelve-letter words and feel pro for finding one. In fact, all Words for Evil did was serve as a reminder of how fun Bookworm Adventures was, and I put the sequel on my wishlist. But WFE is cheaper and it has cards, so if those are important to you and you still want a spelling experience, I won't tell you to avoid it or anything.

My only gripe with that game is I'm not 100% sure on the vocabulary, some stuff I didn't expect to be a thing were and things that should had been weren't. Also, sadly, idioms.

I have every main system, and I play them all. Games are fun!

Suppose the nice thing about growing up with your father playing PC games is that you get a taste for it and consoles. Have never not had both in my life so I didn't develop any sort of fanboyism about coding to the metal. If I only had to choose one it'd be PC of course given the endless library and customization but luckily we don't live in such a binary world.

For a moment it reminded me of Power Rangers merging, haha.
You do live! Welcome. Guess your exams took a toll on your leisure time?

PS4 (X1 too) gives pretty solid visuals and performance so far for the price but as usual with consoles, things will get very much worse as time passes. Especially multiplatform games. Exclusives usually handle better with performance. Consoles are for me only desirable because of their exclusives.
Even if I had a console, I would get multiplats only on PC, since you basically buy a future HD-remaster all the time. Just wait a couple years until you upgrade your PC or some parts at least and bam! You get a new game with so drastic changes, if those would exist between a PS4 and X1 version Gaf would literally go 404.
I am not even joking. Sometimes when I'm bored I go Gaming Side and read some console stuff and boy, threads blow up over the littlest of visual discrepancies. But a comparison to PC version yields in almost no thread activity.
crappy laptop :highfive:
sad-high-five ;_;
PC + PS3 + 360 + Wii + WiiU + NDS XL + NDS + NDS Lite + 2DS + PSTV + Lenovo Miix 3 Tablet + Dell Tablet + iPad Mini + iPad + GBA SP.

I think that is all of them. Almost all of them have been boxed up. PC and 2DS is usually my mainstay.
Do you ever plan on selling old & unused consoles or do you keep them all?
A PS3 would be cool. Had such great times with Killzone and Uncharted when I had my cousin's borrowed for a while.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I have every main system, and I play them all. Games are fun!

Suppose the nice thing about growing up with your father playing PC games is that you get a taste for it and consoles. Have never not had both in my life so I didn't develop any sort of fanboyism about coding to the metal. If I only had to choose one it'd be PC of course given the endless library and customization but luckily we don't live in such a binary world.

I'm really impressed you managed to type up that whole response without having to fall back on using shitty terminology like "master race." Most people can't seem to get past two sentences without falling back on it when it comes to this topic.

_hekk05

Banned
I'm really impressed you managed to type up that whole response without having to fall back on using shitty terminology like "master race." Most people can't seem to get past two sentences without falling back on it when it comes to this topic.

if you're taking the "master race" posts seriously, it's time to re-evaluate your life decisions.

fantomena

Gonna play the GTA prologue on my Xbone so I get those exlusives in game stuff or whatever it was.

Will most likely be someone modding them into the game anyhow, but fuck it, the Xbone version isn't as crap as the PS3 version.

_hekk05

Banned
a) it's not particularly funny anymore
b) go read some threads in Gaming and tell me again those people are joking

a) Me and ningen were just joking about the crappy laptop master race. Clearly I'm not alone.

b) Why are you taking them seriously instead of pointing and laughing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom