• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deitus

It's just kind of surprising considering the PS4's massive install base, relative to other current-grn consoles, while being the only worthwhile game on the platform currently. The latter being my subjective opinion, but metacritic could be pulled in to back that up.

I'm just surprised it didn't sell more.

Run that up against a game that is 2 years old and has been selling on just about every possible platform.

I mean if you want to talk about how much games should be selling, of course Bloodborne should be selling more copies than it is, and GTA less. For one thing, Bloodborne is actually a good game, while GTA is a shallow rehash of the same games they've been selling for 15 years, but set in a fantastically crafted sandbox.

But I think Bloodborne's reputation for being "too hard" (however inaccurate that might be) is going to prevent the game from ever reaching the mainstream audience at large. I was just in a Best Buy the other day, and an employee walked up to me while I happened to be standing near a Bloodborne display case, and waxed on and on about how hard the game is and how many times he died in it (he was saying it in a positive way, but it would still be a turnoff for many people).

And GTA has the name Grand Theft Auto on the box, so it's going to sell millions of copies, no matter how many times they re-release it.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Eh, I have similar setup actually. A HD 7870 Ghz edition.
Have you updated your amd driver? There is a new beta version specialized for GTA V.

I totally forgot to check for a driver update :p

I installed the new one played around with the settings a bit and the game runs much better now, but still no way near constant 60fps, at least not in populated areas, runs butter smooth in the middle of nowhere ;)

Crisis averted for now, but I still should save for a new CPU and Mainboard... Witcher 3 is also around the corner...

Grief.exe

Well, Bloodborne seems to be the best selling "Souls" game and Sony and FormSoft has already a good relationship.

I assume Namco will fund a Dark Souls 3 for Xbone, PS4 and PC, but if Miyazaki and his A-team has had a good relationshop with Sony, I'll believe they'll continue it.

The PC versions of Dark Souls 1 and 2 were very successful with both sitting around two million and one million respectively.

Which is surprising considering how gimped both versions were. Dark Souls 1 released extremely late and with many issues, the second title launched late.

I totally forgot to check for a driver update :p

I installed the new one played around with the settings a bit and the game runs much better now, but still no way near constant 60fps, at least not in populated areas, runs butter smooth in the middle of nowhere ;)

Crisis averted for now, but I still should save for a new CPU and Mainboard... Witcher 3 is also around the corner...

The beta drivers were a massive improvement.

I mean if you want to talk about how much games should be selling, of course Bloodborne should be selling more copies than it is, and GTA less. For one thing, Bloodborne is actually a good game, while GTA is a shallow rehash of the same games they've been selling for 15 years, but set in a fantastically crafted sandbox.

But I think Bloodborne's reputation for being "too hard" (however inaccurate that might be) is going to prevent the game from ever reaching the mainstream audience at large. I was just in a Best Buy the other day, and an employee walked up to me while I happened to be standing near a Bloodborne display case, and waxed on and on about how hard the game is and how many times he died in it (he was saying it in a positive way, but it would still be a turnoff for many people).

And GTA has the name Grand Theft Auto on the box, so it's going to sell millions of copies, no matter how many times they re-release it.

I would have bought Bloodborne over GTA any day of the week, I just can't justify a PS4 for that one game.

Okay guys, quick question. I'm thinking about a new monitor because this one has pale lines running down the sides. And no, it's not a graphics card issue cause I replaced it and the issue is persisting.

So I just wanted to throw out there: For a 750 Ti, is a 1920x1080 the reasonable resolution to go for? What are the trusted names (I currently have an LG, it lasted me a good long time, is it still good, or is it overpriced for what you get?) Are there any brands to avoid? Thanks.

Ah I thought we were talking about a possible multiplat spinoff though! Yeah if it's a sequel they might go that way or give it a cool subtitle.

Oh, I missed that. I don't think that Bloodborne 2 will be multiformat because I think that Sony will want to keep the Bloodborne IP on PlayStation as it approached From for a new IP. I just hope that Miyazaki and co. leave the console exclusive stuff at Bloodborne and go back to multiformat (read PC) for their next game, whether it's a whole new IP or Dark Souls 3.

Dr Dogg

Here's a way to make this sound much greater than it really is. The last time I had an AMD CPU was in the last millennium. Granted it is only 16 years ago.

Okay guys, quick question. I'm thinking about a new monitor because this one has pale lines running down the sides. And no, it's not a graphics card issue cause I replaced it and the issue is persisting.

So I just wanted to throw out there: For a 750 Ti, is a 1920x1080 the reasonable resolution to go for? What are the trusted names (I currently have an LG, it lasted me a good long time, is it still good, or is it overpriced for what you get?) Are there any brands to avoid? Thanks.

I'd say if you're planning on playing recent titles, a 750Ti is pushing it a bit for 1920x1080. Just about got the memory but lacking a bit in omph. Should be alright for stuff from a year or 2 ago and cross gen stuff. Regards to monitors, your best bet is to read, read and read some more. Work out what your use case is (pure media consumption and gaming, maybe work use and so on) then find out what type of panel works for you. TFTCentral and Prad are 2 great sites. If you want a recommendation for a cheap but great catch all 1920x1080@60hz monitor (not that there is one but some have less compromises than others) I'd say have a look out for either a BenQ BL2410PT or an Iiyama XB2483HSU. Both are VA panels but have really, really good viewing angles and really reign in off centre contrast shift which VA's are notrious for. Also both, when using overdrive, have very little signal processing and have fast pixel response times. Plus a 3000:1 static contrast ratio knocks the socks of any TN or IPS panel.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Oh, I missed that. I don't think that Bloodborne 2 will be multiformat because I think that Sony will want to keep the Bloodborne IP on PlayStation as it approached From for a new IP. I just hope that Miyazaki and co. leave the console exclusive stuff at Bloodborne and go back to multiformat (read PC) for their next game, whether it's a whole new IP or Dark Souls 3.

Well I was talking if it did the Demon's->Dark Souls thing really and it'd retain the central focus of the previous game while technically not being part of it so it could appear on other platforms.

fantomena

The PC versions of Dark Souls 1 and 2 were very successful with both sitting around two million and one million respectively.

Which is surprising considering how gimped both versions were. Dark Souls 1 released extremely late and with many issues, the second title launched late.

Sure, but DS has been on a shitload of 5$ sales and DS2 released the same time as the other plattforms.

But who knows that Miyazaki will do.

We can always hope, but remember that Playstation has always been FromSoft and Miyazakis home since their first game released.

Grief.exe

Yeah, checked up, 1 month later.

But that's not much at all though.

Sure, but it still cannibalizes sales for that platform, and gimps the game. You could even argue that the downgrade was apart of this issue as well.

Dark Souls 2 didn't have as hard a time as the first title, but it still was held back.

fantomena

Sure, but it still cannibalizes sales for that platform, and gimps the game. You could even argue that the downgrade was apart of this issue as well.

Dark Souls 2 didn't have as hard a time as the first title, but it still was held back.

The downgrade was a part of all plattforms.

Grief.exe

The downgrade was a part of all plattforms.

Last-gen consoles wouldn't have been able to run with those visuals regardless. Original trailer was at 1080p with a large amount of particle effects and AA.

The point being, the version was still largely gimped as I clearly remember many people felt deceived and turned off from the title.

HoosTrax

Not sure if this is a PC question, but what game is this screenshot from, and is that supposed to be Kevin Spacey, or does it just look a lot like him:

call-of-duty.jpg

1 million sold is amazing for a game like Bloodborne, come on guys.
Ain't never heard of it. (will acknowledge its existence if it makes it to PC)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
That's CoD: Advanced Warfare and yes it's Kevin Spacey.

The point being, the version was still largely gimped as I clearly remember many people felt deceived and turned off from the title.

Yeah I didn't care too much about the downgrade but I didn't like being jerked around so much which caused me to cancel in the first place.

Grief.exe

1 million sold is amazing for a game like Bloodborne, come on guys.

I'm just surprised it wasn't more considering the relatively large install base and otherwise lack of exclusives.

Some people just don't like knowing Miyazakis new masterpiece is on a potato. ;)

It is unfortunate that we have more From games trapped on inevitability dead consoles. At least you can emulate Kings Field, can't say the same for Demon Souls, Otogi, and, when we move on from this generation, Bloodborne.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I'm just surprised it wasn't more considering the relatively large install base and otherwise lack of exclusives.

Well it's not too casual friendly really so I'm not surprised at all, but I did let someone try it out while traveling and watched them get to Father G which convinced him he needed a PS4 for it so maybe people just need to be able to try it somehow? The people I let try it at the clinic hadn't played Souls games or even heard of Bloodborne but they were really into it and taking turns with stuff after a while so maybe a demo would be beneficial?

Arthea

All righty, someone kindly explain me this.
Virtua Tennis 4 get pulled from steam and it is a GFWL game, meaning all owners soonish won't be able to play a game. Removal means it won't have GFWL removed, shouldn't a store page actually mention this very minor detail? Isn't that a fraud?

derExperte

So is this just the original game with all of the DLCs?

Delivered in beautifully remastered 1080p, along with improved lighting, textures, animations, and combat mechanics, State of Decay: Year-One pulls you even deeper into the post-outbreak world.

Certainly not something I'm going to preorder.

Virtua Tennis 4 get pulled from steam and it is a GFWL game, meaning all owners soonish won't be able to play a game. Removal means it won't have GFWL removed, shouldn't a store page actually mention this very minor detail? Isn't that a fraud?

VT4 will work with an offline profile and you can play local multiplayer. They mention online in the description but good luck suing.

Dr Dogg

Well from what I understand the way you generated keys for GFWL titles as a publisher was via the Marketplace. That shutdown yonks ago so maybe Sega is close to running out with no way of generating any more so fire sale it is. Functionally VT4 doesn't even need GFWL bar the Online Modes, it's a bit fucked anyway in terms of achievements unlocking but not sticking to your profile.

MUnited83

For you.

Game will still work fine with a offline profile.

SSPssp

It is unfortunate that we have more From games trapped on inevitability dead consoles. At least you can emulate Kings Field, can't say the same for Demon Souls, Otogi, and, when we move on from this generation, Bloodborne.

Well, like Jarod McChicken pointed out, DS II only shipped 1.2 million over 3 platforms over 3 weeks, so 1 million on only 1 platform is a ton for this type of game.

Also, I think everything on ps4 will be able to be emulated in a few years right? I didn't realize that PS3 emulation was that hard though.

Uzzy

Is ARMA III largely CPU dependant? I'm thinking of getting back into it, but last I remember I was in Act 2 of the campaign and my framerate with shit no matter how hard I tweaked it. I've got a 760 2GB and an i5-3570k at stock.

Edit: Now that I think of it, maybe it had to do with V-sync. I usually have to turn it on because I get terrible tearing all the time, but I never tried forcing adaptive V-sync on ARMA III.

It's more CPU dependent then GPU dependent. There's some optimisation guides out there that should help you out a bit. Try this one, this one and this one.

Now, I have to recommend the Pilgrimage SP scenario for ARMA3. I think it's the best one out there, personally.

As for Virtua Tennis, I do wish we'd get a new tennis game at some point soon. I want to take Sabine Lisicki to Wimbledon glory already.

Arthea

Game will still work fine with a offline profile.

no it won't for all, as GFWL is not available everywhere, and "those" parts of the world, I mean GFWL free countries even if even are extremely insignificant in MS eyes still exist and people there have some rights, you know ;)
I'm actually even more shocked it's sold in GFWL free zone, when other GFWL games are not.

MUnited83

For you.
no it won't for all, as GFWL is not available everywhere, and "those" parts of the world, I mean GFWL free countries even if even are extremely insignificant in MS eyes still exist and people there have some rights, you know ;)
I'm actually even more shocked it's sold in GFWL free zone, when other GFWL games are not.

It will still work. GFWL is not locked by IP. And either way, you can download xliveless and
it's fixed anyways.

Dr Dogg

As for Virtua Tennis, I do wish we'd get a new tennis game at some point soon. I want to take Sabine Lisicki to Wimbledon glory already.

I believe you mean English Tennis Classic :p.

How bloody hard must it be to get a licensed tennis game? Who do you go to? The LTA? The ATP or WTA? Top Spin seems to have died of death too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom