• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deitus

Has somebody put together a changelog yet?

The only real change I've seen so far (outside of them updating the icon to be blue) is there is now a big button for Steam Guard in the main menu. Going to this menu leads to some text that suggests you can use the Steam app as a mobile authenticator, but when I try to enable it the only option it gives me is to use email for 2 factor authentication (or to disable it). Not sure if the mobile authenticator functionality hasn't been enabled yet, or if I'm just missing something.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The only real change I've seen so far (outside of them updating the icon to be blue) is there is now a big button for Steam Guard in the main menu. Going to this menu leads to some text that suggests you can use the Steam app as a mobile authenticator, but when I try to enable it the only option it gives me is to use email for 2 factor authentication (or to disable it). Not sure if the mobile authenticator functionality hasn't been enabled yet, or if I'm just missing something.

Ah, yeah, I remember reading about the app acting as an alternative 2FA option.

iosefe

Seems like I had extreme luck/misfortune and won two Modbot giveaways for Bejeweled 3...
Should I contact the giver and then give one of them away by myself?
Or contact one of the original giver and let them handle it?

i know Bejeweled is great, but 2? tsk tsk

Knurek

Fuck, I spend the better part of two hours trying to beat Ys 1 final boss.
On Normal.
It just seems impossible, even with the Silver equips, framerate locked to 60 fps and all the other known helpers...
I'd just hack the savegame to switch to Easy mode for this fight, but for some reason the local folder for the game doesn't have any saves, while the Steam Cloud folder has only the BMP images...
FML, I'm not replying the whole game on Easy just to beat a frigging last boss...

Benedict

Nuke the key as per the instructions here and then give it away yourself.

Thanks.
I made a new giveaway but forgot to add the title of the game.
Anyway this giveaway is for Bejeweled 3, originally given away by SpyGuy239.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Benedict:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Benedict, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

cmWEPrK.png

Mystery Game #1 -- MB-EB470CB18F0803E4 - Taken by Coldsun

Tizoc

Fuck, I spend the better part of two hours trying to beat Ys 1 final boss.
On Normal.
It just seems impossible, even with the Silver equips, framerate locked to 60 fps and all the other known helpers...
I'd just hack the savegame to switch to Easy mode for this fight, but for some reason the local folder for the game doesn't have any saves, while the Steam Cloud folder has only the BMP images...
FML, I'm not replying the whole game on Easy just to beat a frigging last boss...

I beat him on the Vita ver. which is likely 30 FPS.
the trick is to memorize his move patterns and just chase him and hope you can kill him before he can kill you.

Dark Fact is prob. the hardest final boss in an Ys game, all other bosses are do-able but were for the most part a fun challenge.

z2vLeEZ.png

This was a pleasant surprise. Last year something was wrong with ES, and it was a couple days later I noticed I hadn't gotten the little birthday notice, which was kind of sad.

I'm just glad I made it over to PC gaming, it's good stuff. Only just finished my first real gaming rig a couple months ago, so it feels like I only just made the switch. Everything before that had been on my dinky little laptop, and I'm surprised it had lasted that long.

I feel like I should treat myself to a new game, but I don't know what...

Dr Dogg

Speaking of mobile, some of the stuff uploaded to RSC with the in game Snapmatic thingy are pretty sweet.

Even one of mine is near the top of the all time trending picks. Then again it is NSFW, for dogs at least.

No high res textures for me in GTA V, not enough VRAM :(

Reflections look kinda crappy for some reason even though I have it on very high. It actually distracted me on the bike repo mission.

Arthea

Suikoden 3 is coming to EU PSN, yeah you've read it right EU
How is that steam related? Well... Suikoden is life, universe and everything ;)

abracadaver

I had to delete the Steam app from my phone after yesterdays update. I could not exit the app at all. Steam was always online. I hope it doesn't take another 3 years for the next update. This was on android 5.1

JaseC

I had to delete the Steam app from my phone after yesterdays update. I could not exit the app at all. Steam was always online. I hope it doesn't take another 3 years for the next update. This was on android 5.1

I haven't used the app since 2012 or so. It killed the battery life of my poor ol' S1 (I've since moved up slightly and now have an S3) and had an incredibly annoying habit of starting itself.

Arthea

wait what? That's weirdest region lock I've seen so far

Dieses Spiel hat regionale Beschränkungen. Es kann nicht aktiviert werden aus den folgenden Ländern: Russland, Armenien, Aserbaidschan, Weißrussland, Estonia, Georgien, Kasachstan, Kirgisistan, Lettland, Litauen, Moldawien, Tadschikistan, Turkmenistan, Usbekistan, Ukraine, Polen, Tschechien, Slowakei, Ungarn, Rumänien

the hell?
edited: keep in mind it can't be activated in any of those countries, not other way around.
so again, the hell?

Salsa

No high res textures for me in GTA V, not enough VRAM :(.

try it anyway. don't be afraid of the red bar

also, try lowering the population variety slider to make up for it

seriously; normal textures are god awful. Im playing with high on a 2gig card. It certainly makes for a slight performance hit (instead of low 50s when driving fast I get high 40s) but it's more than worth it.

just wait till you get close to a rock on normal textures and get ready to barf

or heck, just aim the camera at the floor

im assuming it's the PS360 textures

JaseC

wait what? That's weirdest region lock I've seen so far

the hell?
edited: keep in mind it can't be activated in any of those countries, not other way around.
so again, the hell?

I think that list is a little off. It's consistent with a couple of the subs tied to the Eastern European-specific app, but one is a specifically a store sub and the other is the Complete Edition, which includes Fo3 GOTY.

Edit: Oh, and on that note it's probably worth mentioning that you won't get the ROW version of the game if you buy it, however the "Eastern" version does support English:
fonveasternxmuft.jpg

Edit: Never mind, misunderstood the situation.

Arthea

In case nobody noticed, Sunrider Academy was released yesterday, many here have played previous game - Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, which is a free game with somewhat interesting gameplay. A new one is a VN which we upvoted on greenlight some time ago.

I'm not sure why they decided on such a dramatic change, unfortunately it's not exactly cheap, so I won't know for some time too.

I think that list is a little off. It's consistent with a couple of the subs tied to the Eastern European-specific app, but one is a specifically a store sub and the other is the Complete Edition, which includes Fo3 GOTY.

my head hurts now. You were trying to say that it can be activated in those countries? Because if that lock is real, it makes 0 sense whatsoever, even delusional one that publishers have.

you do realise that it's a game sold on gamesplanet? just checking

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
anyone happen to have a ps4 controller plugged in (using ds4windows or whatever) while still having a 360 controller and knows how to make the ps4 the "primary"?

besides the obvious "plus the ps4 one first"

edit: nvm they both randomly work now /shrug

JaseC

Wow, two Jase-avatars within half an hour? The Seahorse blesses us all tonight

Haha, the other one was one I made recently and I got the nagging feeling that I used it back then, so I changed to an old one I hadn't donned in a quite a long while.

my head hurts now. You were trying to say that it can be activated in those countries? Because if that lock is real, it makes 0 sense whatsoever, even delusional one that publishers have.

I'm saying the region-lock is real but doesn't apply to the Ultimate Edition. Plus it's just an activation-level restriction, anyway, not a runtime one.

you do realise that it's a game sold on gamesplanet? just checking

Just because the site is named Gamesplanet doesn't mean it's obliged to sell games that activate worldwide. ;)

Shantom

Edit: Oh, and on that note it's probably worth mentioning that you won't get the ROW version of the game if you buy it, however the "Eastern" version does support English:
fonveasternxmuft.jpg

That's odd- I bought it and got this:

Perhaps its because I already had the game and just bought this for the DLC?

Arthea

Haha, the other one was one I made recently and I got the nagging feeling that I used it back then, so I changed to an old one I hadn't donned in a quite a long while.

I'm saying the region-lock is real but doesn't apply to the Ultimate Edition. Plus it's just an activation-level restriction, anyway, not a runtime one.

Just because the site is named Gamesplanet doesn't mean it's obliged to sell games that activate worldwide. ;)

It actually is obligated!
What I had in mind, I can't comprehend why even there is sub with such a region lock, the only reason would be censorship, but this is not the case. That's just... stupid and nonsensical lock? Like you know: we lock it in mindboggling way because we can, for kicks or whatever? (><)

No, it's fine, the game is locked for those countries in the list, not other way around.
I know it's impossible to comprehend :)

JaseC

That's odd- I bought it and got this:

If the sub activated just fine for you then it's the region-free ROW version after all as the DLC isn't cross-compatible, plus the Eastern version doesn't support any languages outside of those listed in the screenshot.

If you check your account history, I'm guessing you'll see "Fallout New Vegas: Ultimate Edition (Digital WW Retail)".

Arthea

If the sub activated then it's the ROW version after all as the DLC isn't cross-compatible. The Eastern version doesn't support any languages outside of those listed in the screenshot.

you didn't read my post, did you? (><)
It's not ROW, because according to gamesplanet, it's locked for all countries in that list. That's why I even started this talk, how stupid and incomprehensible that lock is.
Or is it a lie?

Shantom

If the sub activated just fine for you then it's the region-free ROW version after all as the DLC isn't cross-compatible, plus the Eastern version doesn't support any languages outside of those listed in the screenshot.

If you check your account history, I'm guessing you'll see "Fallout New Vegas: Ultimate Edition (Digital WW Retail)".

SsKqknT.png

Well, as long as it works :)

JaseC

you didn't read my post, did you? (><)
It's not ROW, because according to gamesplanet, it's locked for all countries in that list. That's why I even started this talk, how stupid and incomprehensible that lock is.
Or is it a lie?

Yes. It's not the Eastern version of the game.

Arthea

http://i.imgur.com/SsKqknT.png[/IMG
Well, as long as it works :)[/QUOTE]

Jasec just loves to confuse people, of course it works if you aren't located in one of listed countries.

[quote="JaseC, post: 160330408"]Yes. It's not the Eastern version of the game.[/QUOTE]

read again, kindly

Knurek

It actually is obligated!
What I had in mind, I can't comprehend why even there is sub with such a region lock, the only reason would be censorship, but this is not the case. That's just... stupid and nonsensical lock? Like you know: we lock it in mindboggling way because we can, for kicks or whatever? (><)

I know that this (and most other Bethesda games) are locked for Poland (and most probably rest of Central Europe) due to the fact that they are distributed here by Cenega and not Bethesda.

now my head hurts even more.
Let's start from the beginning. Is there a ROW sub for this game? There is.
For what unearthly reason half of Europe can't buy a game wherever they wish again and what Poland has to do with it?

Cenega (which is a Polish company, distributes to Poland/Czech Rep/Slovakia, and is also a part of 1C group) has an exclusivity deal with Bethesda to distribute their games in Central/Eastern Europe.
So we all get special subs for Steamworks games, which makes JaseC happy.

Arthea

I know that this (and most other Bethesda games) are locked for Poland (and most probably rest of Central Europe) due to the fact that they are distributed here by Cenega and not Bethesda.

now my head hurts even more.
Let's start from the beginning. Is there a ROW sub for this game? There is.
For what unearthly reason half of Europe can't buy a game wherever they wish again and what Poland has to do with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom