• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

If something I'm interested in talking about gets me banned on GAF then really I think I would need to reevaluate why it interests me and is it really fit for here. Worked good so far with a spotless record.

I can't comprehend this, I have 7zip and rar, it was like this for really long time now and I can't see it any other way, rar is just too good and universal.

Well short of the few packages that are archived that you end up downloading via the 'tinterwebs for various uses I've not needed much else. Put it this way, this is how I deal with backing up stuff for work. Install HDD, fill up HDD (faster than you'd imagine), encrypt contents of HDD, uninstall HDD, put into anti-static bag, hand to inventory guy at work, install new HDD, and the cycle continues.

For this post, I assume. The thread as a whole is a graveyard.

Ah, I missed this post. I was in a meeting earlier.
That thread is really something, isn't it? I don't even dare to post anything there.

My usually go to set of tools to download for a fresh Windows install are:-

And even then I consider that too much most of the time. If I need an FTP client I'll usually drop Filezilla on there and web browsers are usually all over the place. For text editing Notepad++ still does the trick as does Vim.

I actually have most of those programs installed right now.
CCleaner is a must, as well as CPU/GPU-Z, Fraps, MPC-HC, and of course an anti-virus. :D

Arthea

So these showed up a little while ago. One for me and the rest for you guys.

Figured I'd raffle one every few hours so every time zone gets a chance, but maybe that gets a little too spammy? Let me know.

Anyway here's the first one

Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman! What did we do to deserve this?
I'll even enter, for numbers.

derExperte

Samorost 3 is coming later this year

http://www.pcgamer.com/samorost-3-is-coming-later-this-year/

Glad they still exist, Botanicula was three (!) years ago and afair didn't do that well.

This is why I only talk about the game on GAF. Afraid anything i'll say outside of that will get me banned.

Not posting silly nonsense before educating oneself helps to minimize the chances. Looking through that thread every ban was well deserved and predictable.

Also #team7zip is best team, no need for anything else.

Dr Dogg

Reading the GTA V PC Perf thread I get the feeling that some folks are only convinced by a set of numbers with no context that actually looking at what's in front of them. Then again it's not that I didn't get that feeling flipping decades ago.

I actually have most of those programs installed right now.
CCleaner is a must, as well as CPU/GPU-Z, Fraps, MPC-HC, and of course an anti-virus. :D

Most of what I listed is personal preference but they've done the trick for me for a while. Though no application is guaranteed not to fall behind the times or make missteps so I'm always looking at what's new or does things better.
Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman! What did we do to deserve this?
I'll even enter, for numbers.

I've got that unopened on PSP.

Arthea

I've got that unopened on PSP.

That might be my favourite game name ever, I bought this and very first Devil May Cry based only on their names.
You should open it and maybe even play some, tho.
Actually you should play some every God game, there aren't that many
I'm still not sure why western press dislikes it so much.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
For some reason I had 2016 in my head even though I've lamented the 2015 release in the past. I sincerely hope Machinarium 2 is next on the agenda.
You're in the future but by a few hours not a year.

Don't worry saucy will get her Oscar.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Wow, these are amazing.
He's been a huge uh, fan of the Nixon tapes and he has a weekly radio show/podcast called le show, and he paid tribute to the scholar and historian who brought those tapes to public archives.

If you ever want to understand why all political scandals are -gate suffix Stanley Kutler's "The Wars of Watergate" is a must read.

Some of this is mentioned in several mgs games, which is why I became aware of it.

Holy krapable, I become a nerd of everything I come in contact with.

Shh, don't jinx it.
She jinxed herself in all of The Host interviews. Poor Saoirse.

derExperte

Okay, I held hope that Evolve would stabilize around the 2000-3000 players mark but it hasn't even been in the top 100 during the last few days and is right now well below 1000 players. I've seen games recover but they need to do something, anything. Maybe a free weekend or drop the base price.

Also while I was down there I noticed Civ Beyond Earth with barely 2000 players while Civ5 is still in the top 10. Is it really that bad? Are they trying to patch it? When are addons coming?

Though it's obvious that GTAV is dragging players away from other games so the numbers aren't 100% representative right now.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Okay, I held hope that Evolve would stabilize around the 2000-3000 players mark but it hasn't even been in the top 100 during the last few days and is right now well below 1000 players. I've seen games recover but they need to do something, anything. Maybe a free weekend or drop the base price.

Letting existing owners upgrade to the higher editions instead of forcing them to pay for the game again would help a little.

Dr Dogg

So I just got a call from 'Microsoft' telling me my computer was under attack right now and that they were calling to help me. Funny thing is that I'm at work, and sat in front of a Mac. Told the guy to jog on and then low and behold the phone on the desk next me rung, same type of call, probably same guy. Now I know this is as old as the hills and one reason we don't have a phone connected at home but I didn't expect these folks to be that determined to go through sequential numbers to infinity.

Also while I was down there I noticed Civ Beyond Earth with barely 2000 players while Civ5 is still in the top 10. Is it really that bad? Are they trying to patch it? When are addons coming?

I've seen Evolve for £18 on PC and about £30 for consoles, brand new. One game I'd be really interested to see a port mortem for.

As for Beyond Earth I wouldn't put it in the same vain as a main line Civ title. It's more of a side expansion for V than a continuation of. I highly doubt there will be any expansions short of maybe some DLC. VI will likely be around the corner very, very soon.

Good day nice people of Gafverse!

I saw hekk getting banned again.
TCrFO0D.png

Shame. He was just banned a couple weeks ago. Hope these bans in short intervals don't mean a perm this time.
I have a bad habit of not wanting to start a game where I don't own all essential DLC. Fallout New Vegas was a pretty out-of-nowhere surprise gift but after checking the DLC for it, I learned that they do add a lot to the vanilla game as well.
So I never started the game :(

This is not a bad price but I will wait for a DLC-only bundle for about 2€.
It is an old game after all.

Also, I couldn't find any info on the page saying it activates on Steam or is Fallout:NV a Steamworks game?
So these showed up a little while ago. One for me and the rest for you guys.
Figured I'd raffle one every few hours so every time zone gets a chance, but maybe that gets a little too spammy? Let me know.
Anyway here's the first one
Woah. That must have cost you quite a bit. So many copies! Very nice of you, thanks.
I won't enter since I never played a LEGO game and getting a third entry into a series seems much nicer for LEGO veterans.

Good luck people.

Arthea

Though it's obvious that GTAV is dragging players away from other games so the numbers aren't 100% representative right now.

after I was told that victories are even more disappointing than in Civ5, I think they need to rethink their strategy altogether, for future games I mean, BE is lost.
I'm only partly kidding, but seriously, how can they think that short sentence informing you won is OK for a game that took a week let's say, on huge map and was really hard to win, you just made it barely. Of course they have statistics if you want them. That's not what I'm talking about, those little touches they started loosing with Civ5, like spectacular victories, throne rooms, spectacular finishing of Wonders, all little things take their tall.

On more serious note, a game being not particularly fun to play until years and 3 expansions later may have something to do, as punishing early adopters. As I understand a game isn't bad, not exceptionally good either.

JaseC

So I just got a call from 'Microsoft' telling me my computer was under attack right now and that they were calling to help me. Funny thing is that I'm at work, and sat in front of a Mac. Told the guy to jog on and then low and behold the phone on the desk next me rung, same type of call, probably same guy. Now I know this is as old as the hills and one reason we don't have a phone connected at home but I didn't expect these folks to be that determined to go through sequential numbers to infinity.

There was a lengthy period last year where my parents couldn't go a week without at least one call like that. The main reason they want fibre is so they no longer need to have an active phone service (a requirement for ADSL if, like most folks, you're stuck on an exchange that houses only Telstra Wholesale hardware), but they refuse to just unplug the phone and tell everybody to call their mobiles instead until the switch happens. I've tried telling them a million times now that the sooner they do it, the sooner it's out the way and absolutely everybody is aware that the home number is essentially disconnected, but the words just fall on deaf ears.

You reap what you sow.

I wouldn't have stopped idling if it weren't for Styx. This is all Focus' fault!

(P.S. Where is the expansion?)

With their express interest in DLC, the model is in place for them to go F2P.

Introduce a currency for use purchasing monsters, hunters, cosmetics, whatever that people can skirt by using real $ and wah-lah! Instant playerbase.

As for F2P games in general, I don't know why every single one doesn't take advantage of Steam trading. When you introduce a mechanic that can also mean real $ for the players, not only do you get the boost in playerbase, but it becomes more longstanding. You get your share of bots, but that's the trade off, I guess.

Arthea

http://abload.de/img/az26z8xspue2.gif[/IMG[/QUOTE]
that's a lot of money for new games, just think about it

[quote="Milamber, post: 160340365"]You reap what you sow.[/QUOTE]
you quoted the wrong post, this should have been about Civ BE

Copons

HC? pfft.

MPC-BE master race represent

Y U NO VLC?

(seriously, I'm always in search of a new player, just for the sake of changing, but apparently VLC is the only one with an aesthetically pleasant / easy to setup remote Android app)

And even then I consider that too much most of the time. If I need an FTP client I'll usually drop Filezilla on there and web browsers are usually all over the place. For text editing Notepad++ still does the trick as does Vim.

Damn, I was talking with a friend about text editors after this survey, and we were super creeped by the fact that 15% of devs still use Vim in 2015! :D

(also thanks for listing Bitdefender, I was using - and hating for its annoying ads and the huge amount of false positives - AVG, so you got me to fuck that off my rig and install Bitdefender instead!)

JaseC

that's a lot of money for new games, just think about it

Sort of. I use Steam Wallet funds for badge crafting (when I need to level up since I virtually never remove friends) and poorly-priced MAGIX software.

Uzzy

Civ Beyond Earth was very disappointing, for a myriad of reasons. The game had very little character throughout, trade was frustrating but vitally important, tech became a rush for whichever affinity you had to go for, as that was the only way to upgrade units. There is an update being worked on, so maybe that'll improve things.

Y U NO VLC?

(seriously, I'm always in search of a new player, just for the sake of changing, but apparently VLC is the only one with an aesthetically pleasant / easy to setup remote Android app)

VLC has nothing on MPC-BE + madVR + LAV + ReClock + XySubFilter!

Prefect playback.

giphy8ouvm.gif

And who cares about remote!?

Arthea

you just reminded me about those "business" calls from Hong Kong, or wherever that gang is located, they call and speak really fast especially introduction part that you never are able to hear or decipher. I always wonder, how can anybody fall for that? And if not, who pays for those calls, and how on earth they get so much info about companies.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
All this Windows version talk is funny.
My current Windows 8.1 install is an upgraded Win 7 install that I did back in January 2010... on a different hard drive... in a different laptop. Works rock solid!
I'm not joking

still waiting for a good sale on TNO

my wallet is ready

surprisingly it's $40 on Nuuvem
It has been quite cheap already, I got it from GMG for like $16* last year
actually like $1 thanks to Playfire.

HC? pfft.

MPC-BE master race represent
I hadn't heard about BE, any substantial difference with HC?
(I mostly use HC because I use CCCP)

Y U NO VLC?

Damn, I was talking with a friend about text editors after this survey, and we were super creeped by the fact that 15% of devs still use Vim in 2015! :D

(also thanks for listing Bitdefender, I was using - and hating for its annoying ads and the huge amount of false positives - AVG, so you got me to fuck that off my rig and install Bitdefender instead!)
VLC sucks.

He's been a huge uh, fan of the Nixon tapes and he has a weekly radio show/podcast called le show, and he paid tribute to the scholar and historian who brought those tapes to public archives.

If you ever want to understand why all political scandals are -gate suffix Stanley Kutler's "The Wars of Watergate" is a must read.

I knew of the legendary tapes and the topics discussed within, but man oh man hearing the actual words, from a world leader who knew he was being taped.

What a fascinating man.

Arthea

Civ Beyond Earth was very disappointing, for a myriad of reasons. The game had very little character throughout, trade was frustrating but vitally important, tech became a rush for whichever affinity you had to go for, as that was the only way to upgrade units. There is an update being worked on, so maybe that'll improve things.

I'm not sure how that is very different from Civ V. Even if I like the game, they made so many bad choices in that one, especially in vanilla version.
I especially dislike what they did to scores, they made multiplay into schematics. As basically all score comes from wonders (money from golden ages), you keep repeating the same thing over and over again, there is no strategy in it, no thought, there is a chance, as you can get bad or good starting point, but that's it. Stupid idea, let's be honest.
And even now, after so many updates and expansions, Civ V is still a flawed game, more than previous were, I mean.

madjoki

It has been quite cheap already, I got it from GMG for like $16* last year
actually like $1 thanks to Playfire.

Shame they nerfed rewards. Was to be expected, since you could earn a lot from it with large backlog and big rewards for new games.

VLC sucks.

+1. I just never liked it, can't explain it but that's how it is. Only use it when MPC-HC doesn't work (streaming like once or twice a year).

MPC-HC is my number 1 choice.

VLC has nothing on MPC-BE + madVR + LAV + ReClock + XySubFilter!

Prefect playback.

giphy8ouvm.gif

And who cares about remote!?

I can never tell what effect changing this stuff has.

As a MPC + K lite mega codec pack pleb I just pick lots of stuff install option and everything runs.

And thanks to the community who makes this stuff for that, because I remember the dauys of the proprietary format wars and it was shit.

I hadn't heard about BE, any substantial difference with HC?
(I mostly use HC because I use CCCP)

Not really, but I prefer it because of the better compatibility with XySubFilter, more options and better looking toolbar ;)

Maybe they fixed it but I can't set up subtitle delay with F1/F2 in MPC-HC with XySubFilter.

Gonna try that combo like right now. :)

You should :) There are a lot of good guides out there, but with varying age. reddit has a good, pretty recent one but it's pretty slim. You can replace XyVsFilter with XySubFilter if you want.

Here are some others you can take a look at:

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=516729
http://husmensblog.blogspot.se/2013/10/howto-mpc-advanced-setup-guide.html
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/1357375-advanced-mpc-hc-setup-guide.html

As I said, with varying age so they can be somewhat outdated - you can probably find a better one with more searching. If something's confusing I'm happy to assist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom