• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiru

I make nothing anyways! So if they do anything what they gonna take my steam account?

Also anybody got a witcher 1 save? I am not going to play that - cause I can't sit through it. Think I can do W2 though.
You could just start W2 from scratch then, or do you just want the extra weapon & stuff ? Worthless anyway after a while. I could upload my endgame save if you really want it.

Sendou

great, so people get to pay for an unfinished version of a game that will almost certainly not use early access for feedback or development

Hmm yeah it's a bit confusing to say at the least but maybe we are missing a piece of the puzzle? Or they just want to start making money as quickly as possible.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Why won't Steam detect my game backup folder?
I've tried different folder and renaming the folder but it still doesn't work.
Program backups found : none.

The backup feature only detects games that were backed up using said feature as they are packed away into compressed archives. It's not supposed to work with individual game installation folders -- if you have those, it's just a matter of sticking them into steamapps\common and reinstalling the games through the client (the latter of which you can avoid in the future by also backing up the ACF files as they're what tells the client the games are installed).

Sarcasm

You could just start W2 from scratch then, or do you just want the extra weapon & stuff ? Worthless anyway after a while. I could upload my endgame save if you really want it.

Thought it changed some dialogue choices?

Renounce your US citizenship and live free!

Neveeeerrr!

Obama is coming to get you.

Screw the police.

For W2 how do I edit the graphics settings? All I get is some launcher options..low to ultra nothing else. Ingame its just gamma and something else.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (spindoctor, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Lego Batman 3 Beyond Gotham -- MB-42FE1519F27D2F3D - Taken by Milamber. 48 entrants total.

t1429204279z1.png

The backup feature only detects games that were backed up using said feature as they are packed away into compressed archives. It's not supposed to work with individual game installation folders -- if you have those, it's just a matter of sticking them into steamapps\common and reinstalling the games through the client (the latter of which you can avoid in the future by also backing up the ACF files as they're what tells the client the games are installed).

I actually used the backup feature and ended up with 14 disc folders.

yuraya

Anyone get the feel that EA is going to shut down Origin soon?

The constant closing of studios and games from them is starting to be very consistent. The one big killer app they had for Origin (Battlefield) is kind of bomba. Hardline is peaking at 7k according to stats. The once killer app they had (Sims) is nowhere near of significance anymore imo. There is really no point at all for them to keep Origin around. If anything they are losing $ in comparison to what they could be making if they released some of these games on steam. Nonexistent indie support and nonexistent platform support is just awful. I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

The constant closing of studios and games from them is starting to be very consistent. The one big killer app they had for Origin (Battlefield) is kind of bomba. Hardline is peaking at 7k according to stats. The once killer app they had (Sims) is nowhere near of significance anymore imo. There is really no point at all for them to keep Origin around. If anything they are losing $ in comparison to what they could be making if they released some of these games on steam. Nonexistent indie support and nonexistent platform support is just awful. I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

i wonder what happens to my command and conquer collection if origin closes down :(

No dude, they're not shutting down Origin. And they're making bank with the application having all EA PC games exclusive to it. I even know folks who have started buying 3rd party games on the service. Whatever pushback there was to Origin when it was released/rebranded... it's definitely fading away now.

No dude, they're not shutting down Origin. And they're making bank with the application having all EA PC games exclusive to it. I even know folks who have started buying 3rd party games on the service. Whatever pushback there was to Origin when it was released/rebranded... it's definitely fading away now.

and good! steam needs competition, it shouldn't have the market all to itself.

If Origin is missing anything is that it needs its equivalent of a Big Picture mode, something to let you navigate the program with solely a controller. Even uplay has some limited controller stuff in its menus.

derExperte

I don't think they'll kill it but non-EA games? Those are hidden more than ever in the store, you have to scroll a minute through every list before something like Witcher appears and I don't see many other recent releases.

Jawmuncher

If Origin is missing anything is that it needs its equivalent of a Big Picture mode, something to let you navigate the program with solely a controller. Even uplay has some limited controller stuff in its menus.

Problem with both Uplay and Origin is the game selection. Especially when buying games from one service can still end up being a steam key.

Knurek

I'm guessing that we won't see the games on Steam.
Executives don't really like eating crow, so EA will just stop selling the games digitally on PC.

JaseC

I actually used the backup feature and ended up with 14 disc folders.

Ah. It should be working, then, obviously. Some bloke maintained a CSD unpacker for a few years, but it hasn't been updated since 2012 and requires GCF files, which Steam no longer uses, so I think you're stuck with useless data. The only suggestion I have is to try switching to the beta client (or opting out of the beta if you're already using it).

If you don't get anywhere, then just consider it a harsh lesson learned: don't bother with Steam's backup feature and instead just back up the folder and corresponding ACF file (appmanifest_appIDhere.acf) yourself.

Problem with both Uplay and Origin is the game selection. Especially when buying games from one service can still end up being a steam key.

It does seem like neither allows for independent publishers, which is a huge blow to their libraries. It just seems like they only allow the big boys club of AAA publishers and that's it.

They would need to correct that to be competitive, if that's what they really want. Wouldn't be surprised if their main goal is just to bring in as much income as possible for their own products though and that being an online distributor is more of an afterthought.

Dr Dogg

Well I already knew there was another DrDogg on GAF (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/member.php?u=728) but now I've stumbled across another Doogie Howser (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/member.php?u=491023). I feel strangely violated. Maybe I should take up MRORANGE's offer, join the Joe Cabot crew and change my name and avi to MRPINK :(

HC? pfft.

MPC-BE master race represent

I'm just a creature of habit. That and HC has been pretty rock solid for me and my use case for ages. But hey nothing lasts forever.

Y U NO VLC?

(seriously, I'm always in search of a new player, just for the sake of changing, but apparently VLC is the only one with an aesthetically pleasant / easy to setup remote Android app)

Damn, I was talking with a friend about text editors after this survey, and we were super creeped by the fact that 15% of devs still use Vim in 2015! :D

(also thanks for listing Bitdefender, I was using - and hating for its annoying ads and the huge amount of false positives - AVG, so you got me to fuck that off my rig and install Bitdefender instead!)

VLC had it's day in the sun but it's been really bad for the last 5 or so years.

Vim just works, though Notepad++ is generally what I use on Windows and TextMate on Mac but always go straight for Vim if I'm on a Linux box.

On a Win 8/8.1 machine I just use the built in Windows Defender (it's seriously upgraded t include MSE among other things) but either Avast or Bitdefender do the trick on any other Windows OS. Avast does need some menu diving to hide the ads and annoying notifications though.

There was a lengthy period last year where my parents couldn't go a week without at least one call like that. The main reason they want fibre is so they no longer need to have an active phone service (a requirement for ADSL if, like most folks, you're stuck on an exchange that houses only Telstra Wholesale hardware), but they refuse to just unplug the phone and tell everybody to call their mobiles instead until the switch happens. I've tried telling them a million times now that the sooner they do it, the sooner it's out the way and absolutely everybody is aware that the home number is essentially disconnected, but the words just fall on deaf ears.

you just reminded me about those "business" calls from Hong Kong, or wherever that gang is located, they call and speak really fast especially introduction part that you never are able to hear or decipher. I always wonder, how can anybody fall for that? And if not, who pays for those calls, and how on earth they get so much info about companies.

We get them at home too. 100% of the time it's someone from India. I tend to screw around with them, either playing really dumb ("Oops! I accidentally googled the site you wanted me to go to, and I have a bunch of page listings now saying that it's a scam! What's going on?") or calling them out on their bullshit ("Where are you calling from, "Peter?" Canada, huh? What city? Vancou City, huh? What time is it there? A quarter to six, you say? (it should be 12:30 there) How fascinating!") It's amazing, though: even when caught in a contradiction, they don't give up. There's no Phoenix Wright-esque "Nooooo!" but simply "I'm not a liar, I really am Peter from a city I can't properly identify in a time zone that's not only impossible where I should be, but anywhere in the world, and your computer has problems." Unless you tell them that you're in IT or you're a cop (in which case they'll hang up immediately) they will ALWAYS assume that they're smarter than you, even though they seem to employ the dumbest people on the planet.

It's one of those things you wonder why after years and years of rogue callers doing the same scams are still at it, surely most people must be clued up by now but it's obviously still has a success rate that is profitable for them. Then again cheap telecoms via VoIP has just exploded this shitty practice.

That list looks nearly identical to mine. Spooky.

Great minds think alike :p

Spares:

ModBot said:
Instructions for Kurt Russell:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

QUEST FOR INFAMY -- MB-B068EFE71C68F712 - Taken by Driw3r
PRETENTIOUS GAME -- MB-4F6C7A76BB3AAB82 - Taken by Sendou
xheRJRF.gif
ONE DAY FOR CHED -- MB-72810087AF8546B3 - Taken by Purkake4
DARK SCAVENGER -- MB-C4D1A88370692D45 - Taken by Darth Kupi
THE LAST DOOR - COLLECTOR'S EDITION -- MB-AA9DAA3EEBC5EBE2 - Taken by S1n1st3r

baterism

Nah. EA will start money hatting pubs before they give up. Throw $10mil to SEGA, P5 PC is Origin exclusive! Yeah!!!

Honestly, I don't mind if that means more games to PC. Not like that going to happen, though. ( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

Origin is barely a competition to Steam though. The library just doesn't cut it.
They are going anywhere at this point, they should've just follow Ubisoft and start distributing EA games back on Steam.

In the other hand, I think general crowds aren't really thinking about "games should be on Steam" anyway. I mean, I made lots of new friends on Origin from my local gaming community only due to DA: Inquisition alone. People will buy games that interest them, nevemind the platform.

Ah. It should be working, then, obviously. Some bloke maintained a CSD unpacker for a few years, but it hasn't been updated since 2012 and requires GCF files, which Steam no longer uses, so I think you're stuck with useless data. The only suggestion I have is to try switching to the beta client (or opting out of the beta if you're already using it).

If you don't get anywhere, then just consider it a harsh lesson learned: don't bother with Steam's backup feature and instead just back up the folder and corresponding ACF file (appmanifest_appIDhere.acf) yourself.

Ugh, lesson well learned then. 2 hours of backuping and copying the files wasted lol.
Thanks JaseC

derExperte

The Uplay client still has not reintegrated the Uplay store. Or even a direct link. I just clicked on the AssCreed Chronicles banner and guess where I ended up? On Steam. Why isn't there a 'Buy games' tab? If this and the stagnant Origin client is the best the 'competition' can up with I don't think they deserve to be called that. Valve is so slow with improving their stuff and yet still no one can catch up.

Oh hey, Uplay has a spring sale going on: http://shop.ubi.com/store/ubiemea/html/pbPage.generic-15-spring-landing-DE I had to click on multiple links to get there and it isn't announced anywhere in the client. Sadly no Grow Home discount.

Can't see EA shutting down Origin at all. The almighty Dollar is just too intriguing for execs.
Going Ubi-style would be the most realistic option to expect.
Getting EA's games on Steam would be cool. I am not holding my breath for this to happen anytime soon though.

I don't think they'll kill it but non-EA games? Those are hidden more than ever in the store, you have to scroll a minute through every list before something like Witcher appears and I don't see many other recent releases.

Origin has some benefits. They have localized pricing in my country whereas Steam still operates in US dollars. Which means much better prices (Watch_Dogs was available for ~$30 on Origin but it was $60 on Steam). And then Origin actually offers better download speeds for some folks.

I personally wouldn't buy a non EA game on the service but people do. And we should stop looking at it like it's some strange phenomena :p

JaseC

Origin has some benefits. They have localized pricing in my country whereas Steam still operates in US dollars. Which means much better prices (Watch_Dogs was available for ~$30 on Origin but it was $60 on Steam). And then Origin actually offers better download speeds for some folks.

I'd be willing to bet that those who claim Origin offers notably better download speeds -- perhaps not all but certainly most -- aren't aware of the intentionally stupid way it calculates download speed.

yuraya

Competition is great but they haven't shown an ounce of effort for competing. Valve has announced and done a lot over the past year. Controller, VR, steam machines, link, broadcasting and other things like linux support etc. Valve is actually communicating with people and setting timelines for release dates/updates. EA just seems like it doesn't care. The only thing they did in the past year was give away free games and free game time. And if anything that shows they don't care.

I am sure they took an L a while back internally and know they can't compete with steam. But its just strange for them to do absolutely nothing when it comes supporting a platform people log in to everyday. Especially when you consider how big the company is and how many employees they have. They have the resources to do so much but they don't anything. Like at all. Its really sad.

BigAT

I'd be willing to bet that those who claim Origin offers notably better download speeds -- perhaps not all but certainly most -- aren't aware of the intentionally stupid way it calculates download speed.

Haven't heard about this before, what exactly does it do?

I'd be willing to bet that those who claim Origin offers better download speeds -- perhaps not all but certainly most -- aren't aware of the intentionally stupid way it calculates download speed.

While this is possible, I know of at least one friend who does get crazy high speeds on his connection. Faster than it's even rated to go. I think EA might have some sort of peering agreement with his ISP or something. He ended up downloading Dead Space 3 (~10GB game) in about five minutes. And all the files were on his hard disk, so it wasn't some EA download speed reporting hi-jinx.

Steam on the other hand can get slow sometimes and require download region changes and stuff. Placebo or otherwise, some folks do think favorably about the download speeds they get from Origin.

Turfster

Oh hey, Uplay has a spring sale going on: http://shop.ubi.com/store/ubiemea/html/pbPage.generic-15-spring-landing-DE I had to click on multiple links to get there and it isn't announced anywhere in the client. Sadly no Grow Home discount.

God, I "love" their site.
Oh, you went to a link on the site that's in another region?
Well fuck you go back through the whole WHAT LANGUAGE DO YOU WANT HERE IS THE FRONT PAGE FIND IT YOURSELF FUCKER site!
And then I have to click the sale banner, to get to a page where I have to click the sale banner again, and ten I finally get there.

And you wonder why nobody wants to buy from you, Ubi.

Gamersgate are having their own spring sale. Always check DRM and equivalent prices on other sites first, though.

Last day for theMGS Pay What You Want bundle.

99 Waves to Die keys now available for IR Debut 11

JaseC

Haven't heard about this before, what exactly does it do?

Origin periodically updates the reported speed based on unpacked file size, which inflates the figure. For example, if you downloaded a 50MB chunk in 25 seconds and that expanded to 100MB, Origin would say you're downloading at 4MBps rather than 2MBps.

While this is possible, I know of at least one friend who does get crazy high speeds on his connection. Faster than it's even rated to go. I think EA might have some sort of peering agreement with his ISP or something. He ended up downloading Dead Space 3 (~10GB game) in about five minutes. And all the files were on his hard disk, so it wasn't some EA download speed reporting hi-jinx.

It didn't actually download 10GB, though, just 10GB worth of compressed data.

Annubis

Damn, I was talking with a friend about text editors after this survey, and we were super creeped by the fact that 15% of devs still use Vim in 2015! :D

You guys do know that most text editors have a file size limit under 1 gig, right?
VIM is useful because it stores the entirety of the file in the memory.
This allows you to open server log files in the 10+ gigs and browse it without any lag.

MUnited83

For you.

Steam on the other hand can get slow sometimes and require download region changes and stuff. Placebo or otherwise, some folks do think favorably about the download speeds they get from Origin.

Yep, your friend got fooled by the terrible EA way of counting download speed.

Turfster

Vortex Attack keys now available for Groupees BAGB18
DarkBase 01 keys now available for Groupees BAGB18
Escape Machines keys now available for Groupees BAGB22

NepNep is 50% off on Bundlestars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom