• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Anyone get the feel that EA is going to shut down Origin soon?

The constant closing of studios and games from them is starting to be very consistent. The one big killer app they had for Origin (Battlefield) is kind of bomba. Hardline is peaking at 7k according to stats. The once killer app they had (Sims) is nowhere near of significance anymore imo. There is really no point at all for them to keep Origin around. If anything they are losing $ in comparison to what they could be making if they released some of these games on steam. Nonexistent indie support and nonexistent platform support is just awful. I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

This is not brought up very much, but The Old Republic has actually been a massive earner for EA post-F2P conversion. Start contrast to the massive abandonment of the player base just after the initial launch due to shear mediocrity.

Hardline flopped, DA:I didn't do well on console, but I get the impression the PC version sold the most copies. EA has some massive titles coming down the pipe though, Battlefront, BF5, inevitable Mass Effect 4. I think people should think twice before buying EA games at this point, but these will be huge sellers for Origin.

Dr Dogg

Reminds people to buy Life is Strange.

qllP8IZ.png

Fake edit: Wait! That resizes to avatar size really well.

pMrfaw4.png

Who dares sport a smacked up Warren avatar?

Don't forget the ACF files, too.

Okay, I got it.

Welp Witcher 3 went Gold and i still have to finish Far Cry 4 and i barely started GTA V :(

All of these backlogs, and here I am replaying Witcher 2. The hype is real lol.
I'm in the middle of act 2, I think I'll finish it by next week, or even this weekend if nothing comes up.
I think I won't play GTA V intensely before I finish it.

madjoki

Welp Witcher 3 went Gold and i still have to finish Far Cry 4 and i barely started GTA V :(

How long till it leaks? It's DRM-Free, so there's no zero-day protection like on Steam. Sucks for legit customers thought.

I still need to get new a GPU before it's released :(

dex3108

How long till it leaks? It's DRM-Free, so there's no zero-day protection like on Steam. Sucks for legit customers thought.

I still need to get new a GPU before it's released :(

I think that retail copies will be in stores week before release. So if somebody breaks street day that will be close to release, and CDPR can always release game early on GOG/Steam if they want.

derExperte

Neat Westerado OT: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1030024

Launch day stream: http://www.twitch.tv/adultswimgames

Short Enter the Gungeon preview: http://venturebeat.com/2015/04/16/e...ats-an-alien-ant-face-and-barfs-poison-slime/

Halo: Spartan Strike should be hitting Steam today. It's the follow-up to Spartan Assault.

$6 on the Windows Store so probably the same on Steam.

edit: Looks like there will be a Spartan Bundle that contains both games.

I really enjoyed the first one so why not?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Because why not. ;)

Since CDPR is self-publishing the digital versions I hope Scamco and WB give it the all-clear to unlock the game early if (well, when) the retail version leaks. If the game leaks days or potentially even weeks ahead of release, I don't think I'll be able to resist.

Dr Dogg

There is no way Bamco will release a DRM free retail copy. Expect it to be loaded up to the eyeballs with SecuROM, Devuno, Solid Shield, you name it. Realistically though I'd say that unless it's a standalone launcher all retail copies will probably be Steam redeemable.

I'll do it.

Hahahaha. Fair play.

Dsyndrome

All of these backlogs, and here I am replaying Witcher 2. The hype is real lol.
I'm in the middle of act 2, I think I'll finish it by next week, or even this weekend if nothing comes up.
I think I won't play GTA V intensely before I finish it.
I'm about to cross over the mist in that part; got straight up thumped by the crazy ghost lady with the dead girls and started playing Bloodborne soon after. Probably take another crack at her tonight.

Khronico

Unfortunately due to the issues with my bedroom TV I'm limited to only 720p on my new PC -_-

There's still a huge visual and performance difference between my laptop and this Alpha. Ground Zeroes runs at a locked 60 maxed out (both at 720 and 1080p, which I tested on my living room TV) even without the 8gb ram upgrade, whereas it runs at half the framerate with medium settings on my laptop. Everything else I've tested has about the same performance and visual upgrades. Overall it's a fantastic upgrade from my laptop even on the base 4gb model, can't wait to get a 1080p monitor and some extra RAM so I can really take advantage of this thing.

Also as an aside, after using a 360 controller for an extended period of time, I don't think I can go back to the ps3 controller as my PC go-to controller. It's so much more comfortable in my hands, the sticks and triggers are way better. Shame about the d-pad though, that's the only criticism I have of the controller.

JaseC

There is no way Bamco will release a DRM free retail copy. Expect it to be loaded up to the eyeballs with SecuROM, Devuno, Solid Shield, you name it. Realistically though I'd say that unless it's a standalone launcher all retail copies will probably be Steam redeemable.

CDPR and Scamco had a bit of a tiff when SecuROM was patched out of the retail version of The Witcher 2, so I would imagine CDPR required that it have control of said version this time around.

I did like the bat for lashes vid she was on for hiln.

I didn't like the song at first, but it's grown on me.

Dr Dogg

CDPR and Scamco had a bit of a tiff when SecuROM was patched out of the retail version of The Witcher 2, so I would imagine CDPR required that it have control of said version this time around.

Well funnily it did actually increase performance for me :p

Reason I say retail copies might be Steam redeemable is from this little snippet on Amazons product page.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I9WUZEM/

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Free DLC Bonus
All orders of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, both before and after release, are eligible to receive 16 free DLCs, to be released periodically following the release of the game. The first 2 DLCs will be available for direct download on PlayStation Network (PS4), Xbox Live (Xbox One) and Steam (PC) shortly after the game's release.

Though it's Amazon so I tend to err on the side of caution with what they say but I guess we'll see if that's the case in a months time.

Unfortunately due to the issues with my bedroom TV I'm limited to only 720p on my new PC -_-

There's still a huge visual and performance difference between my laptop and this Alpha. Ground Zeroes runs at a locked 60 maxed out (both at 720 and 1080p, which I tested on my living room TV) even without the 8gb ram upgrade, whereas it runs at half the framerate with medium settings on my laptop. Everything else I've tested has about the same performance and visual upgrades. Overall it's a fantastic upgrade from my laptop even on the base 4gb model, can't wait to get a 1080p monitor and some extra RAM so I can really take advantage of this thing.

Also as an aside, after using a 360 controller for an extended period of time, I don't think I can go back to the ps3 controller as my PC go-to controller. It's so much more comfortable in my hands, the sticks and triggers are way better. Shame about the d-pad though, that's the only criticism I have of the controller.

well, at least you have excellent downsampling options!

Tizoc

Anyone know if Klei's new game will have Steam achievements this time :p

For that matter, any of these newly added Halo games worth getting?

Miguel81

So many glitches in Typing of the Dead. Mostly just transparent body parts on the zo..I'm sorry, mutants. Also, the splash screen makes it sound like the game supports surround sound, but it only plays in stereo. Currently going through The House of Dead portion and it is infinitely easier then the main game so I'll just be grabbing a bunch of cheevos with no problems.

Edit: Project CARS on the 12th of May for US is sweet news. Hope it turns out pretty great.

ghostlight_ross

Ghostlight
I mentioned Flame Over, Laughing Jackal's firefighting action roguelike (pyroguelike), was going to be coming to Steam in a previous Steam thread, so I thought I'd let you know that we're now looking for beta testers for the Steam release.

If any if you fancy applying for the Flame Over Steam closed beta you can find more details below. You can also find out more about the game here http://flameovergame.com/

From http://www.laughingjackal.co.uk/post/apply-now-for-the-flame-over-pc-closed-beta

"If you’d like to help us out then please send an email to: beta@laughingjackal.co.uk with your name, date of birth and the technical specifications of your PC.

Applications will close on the 22nd April, so please make sure to get them in before then. As with previous closed betas, we will not be picking people on a random or first-come-first-served basis, so please do bear that in mind. What a ‘yes’ decision actually comes down to depends on a number of factors, including how representative we feel the range of PC specs we’ve assembled for the beta is."

I know some of you have been in Ghostlight's previous betas, so if you have you might want to mention it in the email to remind me :).

Arthea

Is it possible to buy that MGS bundle as a gift, I don't see an option, but then again I'm not known for my good eyesight.

derExperte

I mentioned Flame Over, Laughing Jackal's firefighting action roguelike (pyroguelike), was going to be coming to Steam in a previous Steam thread, so I thought I'd let you know that we're now looking for beta testers for the Steam release.

If any if you fancy applying for the Flame Over Steam closed beta you can find more details below. You can also find out more about the game here http://flameovergame.com/

From http://www.laughingjackal.co.uk/post/apply-now-for-the-flame-over-pc-closed-beta

"If you’d like to help us out then please send an email to: beta@laughingjackal.co.uk with your name, date of birth and the technical specifications of your PC.

Applications will close on the 22nd April, so please make sure to get them in before then. As with previous closed betas, we will not be picking people on a random or first-come-first-served basis, so please do bear that in mind. What a ‘yes’ decision actually comes down to depends on a number of factors, including how representative we feel the range of PC specs we’ve assembled for the beta is."

I know some of you have been in Ghostlight's previous betas, so if you have you might want to mention it in the email to remind me :).

Thanks for the heads up, I'll certainly apply. Was in the OMG Zombies beta and that game turned out to be very entertaining.

JaseC

Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Paranormal State -- MB-FAE657F4C51EDC8F - Taken by spindoctor
DarkBase 01 -- MB-0A3BB4FF62F95EC1 - Taken by 7Sins
Vortex Attack -- MB-B826CE095F6AE5A1 - Taken by BernardoOne

Backlogger

So I got a small form factor PC given to me (HP 8200 Elite) and I plan on throwing it behind my TV stand and using it pretty much solely for Steam in Home Streaming.

This machine has an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 2000 with no HDMI (has DisplayPort instead). I want to pick up a low profile video card with HDMI because I don't think the onboard graphics are going to cut it, even for streaming and I want HDMI.

Here is my question for anyone that might know:

I've been looking at cards the last two days and can't decide between a card with a fan or a card with just a heat sink. If I am just using this solely for Streaming do I need a card with a fan?

Turfster

I've been looking at cards the last two days and can't decide between a card with a fan or a card with just a heat sink. If I am just using this solely for Streaming do I need a card with a fan?
Go fanless if you can.
Streaming really shouldn't tax it all that much.

Killing Floor 2 or this...
Killing Floor 2 is the obvious choice here. For as much as I liked 'em, the Trine games are a "one and done" kind of ordeal, whereas KF2 is very replayable with a ton of extra free content in the pipeline over the next few years if the original is any indication. It also helps that the sequel is a much better game than its predecessor in my eyes.

Kiru

Anyone tried to buy from Gamesplanet by using bitcoins ? I have no idea how it should work, I still have around $13 in my wallet somewhere on my Hive. Gamesplanet accepts payment via Bitpay, but they won't allow me to actually do shit unless I'm some corporation or business, so wtf...

Dr Dogg

if it's good, I'll be OK with this;)
no, still not buying anything till summer sale, don't get your hopes up, adultswimgames

To be honest with you I am too. I've played RDR through 3 times now and even with the lure of all the fancy things I could do on PC I don't think I have a 4th playthrough in me without jacking it in early. Unless it gets a console remaster I doubt it will happen anyway. Fingers crossed GTA V's PC numbers might have pulled Rockstars head out their arse regards to PC in the future. That or they know they can get away with an 18 month delay.

I hope not. But with GTAV being the new release I fear RDR coming earliest in two years. Only after DLC is done for GTAV :(

Ye of little faith!

Hey, a pessimist in never disappointed :p

JaseC

I hope not. But with GTAV being the new release I fear RDR coming earliest in two years. Only after DLC is done for GTAV :(

I don't think R* San Diego had anything to do with GTAV so an RDRedemption sequel is probably quite far along at this point.

madjoki

Anyone tried to buy from Gamesplanet by using bitcoins ? I have no idea how it should work, I still have around $13 in my wallet somewhere on my Hive webwallet. Gamesplanet accepts payment via Bitpay, but they won't allow me to actually do shit unless I'm some corporation or business, so wtf...

You just send bitcoins from hive / whatever to address provided on Bitpay page.
Just make sure you copy amount & address correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom