• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sajjaja

don't get too excited it's not the iOS redesign. It's just some Steamguard stuff and bug fixes

took them 3 years to do an update and that's it

You'd think that because of their push onto open platforms like Linux that they'd be more inclined to support Android, but nope.

Arthea

Tron 2.0 and a few other Disney titles got cards. http://www.steamcardexchange.net/index.php?showcase-filter-recadded (too lazy to link to them individually)

what? Tron2 and some other Disney games had cards from day one, Tron cards were ones of most expensive (as animu cards expensive) on the market, that's why I remember, I couldn't resist and sold them all.

edited: talking about that Fractured Space promotion, does it mean you have to play it, to own it after. For how long? 10 minutes is enough? (><)

Anteater

strider unlocks skills at a pretty consistent pace, so not bad so far, but bosses are a bit meh

so many locked threads in the gaming side, lol.

Chariot

NO! NOOO!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

7wcPk9y.gif

Arthea

and one moar VN-dating sim (not kickstarted yet)

Downvoted but how futile of an effort is that?

extremely futile, it'll get enough votes in a blink of an eye, if previous games is anything to judge by

Sölf;160482070 said:
I know you all are just playing them until Higurashi finally comes out.

I await Higurashi, yes, but also I'm still extremely salty we didn't get Steins Gate, I basically could supply half of world demands in salt.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Sölf;160482070 said:
I know you all are just playing them until Higurashi finally comes out.

Nah I'm not playing that poop. I got the PS3 version of Steins;Gate on order though since it's 1080p unlike the other versions.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
now I can supply salt for all world
traitor! We should demand it on steam and be united!

I'd be more willing to campaign if they used the HD assets for the US PC version, but I do think it should be on Steam. (I do think it will come after MAGES contract expires with JastUSA.)

Arthea

I'd be more willing to campaign if they used the HD assets for the US PC version, but I do think it should be on Steam. (I do think it will come after MAGES contract expires with JastUSA.)

I agree with you here.
it's just... waiting sucks so much when I thought it's already in my grasp

Tizoc

GTA ONline can't seem to decide on the FPS; sometimes it'll stay at 30 FPS, and other times it'll spike to 60 FPS. Feels quite jarring. What are the heavy hitters on the FPS in this game?

Where is Chariot? I have amazing news for him.
One more Sakura game is on greenlight (><)
the link is NSFW, you've been warned
Sakura Beach

also as its a beach game, I think I need to put Milamber's alert on it too.

edited: also all three Lilly and Sasha games are now on greenlight.
Lilly and Sasha: Guardian Angels
Lilly and Sasha: Nexus of Souls
Lilly and Sasha: Curse of the Immortals is already greenlit.

Sakura, the gift that keeps on giving, I guess they must sell pretty well since they keep doing and doing... >_<

original_24086599.jpg

Skylake and GPU dieshrinks coming this year.
Do you think it would be a very bad idea to splunge 900-1000&#8364; in the next weeks on a i5/970 setup?
Because an oppotunity arose and I am about to do that. Can't upgrade steadily so that PC has to last me at least 4-5 years.
don't get too excited it's not the iOS redesign. It's just some Steamguard stuff and bug fixes

took them 3 years to do an update and that's it
There is a difference between iOS and android Steam apps?

EDIT: LAST POST :(

Dr Dogg

http://charts.stocktwits.com/production/original_24086599.jpg?1403639573[IMG]

Skylake and GPU dieshrinks coming this year.[/QUOTE]

Honest question. What do you think Skylake will bring to the table that will make you want to upgrade? Since Sandy, Intel has delivered a slight increase in IPC every time with at a higher temperature and as a result lower clocks 3 times on the bounce. Granted moving voltage regulation back to the motherboard (where is should have been for a desktop part) will more than likely sort most of the temperature limits Ivy, Haswell and the Devil's Canyon refresh faced (and Broadwell will if it gets a S part) but the new instruction sets will mean fuck all to gaming for a very long time if at all. DDR4 is a marginal increase in speed for gaming, very often nonexistant, to the point the increase in cost over DDR3 isn't worth it at all unless you have applications in a work sense that would benefit same goes with PCI-e 4.0 (although there's very little data at present).

Do you find you have any limits where your CPU is holding you back for games you want to play right now? If not then why upgrade? There's always something better around the corner, who knows Cannonlake might even expand on Skylake. That's also not taking into account legacy applications that rely on sequential performance, which is why you still see high clocked, older architecture CPU's keeping up or beating more efficient, newer models due to possible higher clocks than make up for the IPC loss with similar or greater IPS. For me the rule of upgrading has stayed the same for donkeys years. If there is a game you want to play right now but won't be able to achieve the performance you want at the fidelity you target on your current hardware and there is something that will achieve that for the budget you are willing to spend then upgrade. I sat on my Q6600 for 7 years and it still puts in a shift now, even on new big budget stuff, but I was hampered by memory limitations on the motherboard I had and 775 socket mobo's are rare as rocking horse shit.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a slave to the new shiny toys to play with urge but making a stance to upgrade on something that engineering samples, let alone consumer released versions, aren't out yet or even hypothetical products is just crazy. Work with what's in front of you for the time being, either that you own or is available, and leave the stuff that's in the future for just that, the future. You could get physical 6 core CPU in a 5820k for a little over the cost of a 4790k setup that will last you a lot longer and those 2 extra physical cores will actually work in a well threaded application with good parallel performance where as Hyperthreading has really poor support for the vast majority of applications, games even worse, and those extra cycles regained are moot compared to extra physical cores. That's right in front us now.

[quote="A Fish Aficionado, post: 160469152"]For the few F1 fans here
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CCwh-kFVEAA5fvO.jpg[IMG]

From the F1 community thread.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha, poor Crashtor can't catch a break.

[quote="Anteater, post: 160480471"]strider unlocks skills at a pretty consistent pace, so not bad so far, but bosses are a bit meh

so many locked threads in the gaming side, lol.[/QUOTE]

Here's a fun thing to do. Read gaming backwards, as in start at the last page and work forwards. You catch all the locked threads then.

Being last post, I hope I'll get more answers this way.
original_24086599.jpg

Skylake and GPU dieshrinks coming this year.
Do you think it would be a very bad idea to splunge 900-1000&#8364; in the next weeks on a i5/970 setup?
Because an oppotunity arose and I am about to do that. Can't upgrade steadily so that PC has to last me at least 4-5 years.
Honest question. What do you think Skylake will bring to the table that will make you want to upgrade? Since Sandy, Intel has delivered a slight increase in IPC every time with at a higher temperature and as a result lower clocks 3 times on the bounce. Granted moving voltage regulation back to the motherboard (where is should have been for a desktop part) will more than likely sort most of the temperature limits Ivy, Haswell and the Devil's Canyon refresh faced (and Broadwell will if it gets a S part) but the new instruction sets will mean fuck all to gaming for a very long time if at all. DDR4 is a marginal increase in speed for gaming, very often nonexistant, to the point the increase in cost over DDR3 isn't worth it at all unless you have applications in a work sense that would benefit same goes with PCI-e 4.0 (although there's very little data at present).

Do you find you have any limits where your CPU is holding you back for games you want to play right now? If not then why upgrade? There's always something better around the corner, who knows Cannonlake might even expand on Skylake. That's also not taking into account legacy applications that rely on sequential performance, which is why you still see high clocked, older architecture CPU's keeping up or beating more efficient, newer models due to possible higher clocks than make up for the IPC loss with similar or greater IPS. For me the rule of upgrading has stayed the same for donkeys years. If there is a game you want to play right now but won't be able to achieve the performance you want at the fidelity you target on your current hardware and there is something that will achieve that for the budget you are willing to spend then upgrade. I sat on my Q6600 for 7 years and it still puts in a shift now, even on new big budget stuff, but I was hampered by memory limitations on the motherboard I had and 775 socket mobo's are rare as rocking horse shit.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a slave to the new shiny toys to play with urge but making a stance to upgrade on something that engineering samples, let alone consumer released versions, aren't out yet or even hypothetical products is just crazy. Work with what's in front of you for the time being, either that you own or is available, and leave the stuff that's in the future for just that, the future. You could get physical 6 core CPU in a 5820k for a little over the cost of a 4790k setup that will last you a lot longer and those 2 extra physical cores will actually work in a well threaded application with good parallel performance where as Hyperthreading has really poor support for the vast majority of applications, games even worse, and those extra cycles regained are moot compared to extra physical cores. That's right in front us now.
That was exactly what I needed. Thanks Doc! You came to the rescue!

didamangi

GTA ONline can't seem to decide on the FPS; sometimes it'll stay at 30 FPS, and other times it'll spike to 60 FPS. Feels quite jarring. What are the heavy hitters on the FPS in this game?

You can try playing in borderless window mode. It forces triple buffering but might introduce a little bit of input lag. Otherwise, MSAA and Shadow Quality is the biggest hit for me so far.

Sounds like a vsync issue. Try disabling that and going borderless window.

no one reads my posts ; _ ;
Hey, you know I read your posts! Recently I had some stuff so I had to skim. Sorry yo! Bros for life! :)
Also thanks for your tips regarding GPU. I think the extra 50€ will be worth it.
Sorry Phawx :(
It only works when you're logged out. So use private browser mode.
Yesh. I can't understand Valve sometimes. Don't they have better stuff to change.
Thanks madjoki!

dex3108

Steam is slowly becoming very limited service. Tying accounts to country is ridiculous move and it is very bad for users who are traveling a lot.

Arthea

I even forgot to mention I already have a new PC: i7 this time, but I still remain in 2GB VRAM camp with 750 what pains me to no end, only 8GB RAM too, but I'll survive this too, less multitasking should help, only how to adjust to that.

madjoki

Steam is slowly becoming very limited service. Tying accounts to country is ridiculous move and it is very bad for users who are traveling a lot.

Quite fact the opposite, it's better for those who travel since they can purchase when traveling without resorting to cc trick.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Hey, you know I read your posts! Recently I had some stuff so I had to skim. Sorry yo! Bros for life! :)
Also thanks for your tips regarding GPU. I think the extra 50€ will be worth it.
Sorry Phawx :(

Yesh. I can't understand Valve sometimes. Don't they have better stuff to change.
Thanks madjoki!

no problem :) it WILL be worth it :)

as for volvo - read this

that's the exact opposite of what they've actually done ;) read the link above

Arthea

yeah, it might bite valve in the ass at the end. You can't be good to everybody. I understand that they need to have good relations with publishers, but not at the cost of users, because users pay for it all.

Quite fact the opposite, it's better for those who travel since they can purchase when traveling without resorting to cc trick.

and what use those purchases will be when they move to other region again?
Please don't do this, there is nothing good in locking, never was and never will be.

dex3108

Well i think i saw that you won't be able to use your CC if you are outside of your region now. But again there is chance that i misread that.

Yeah if you want to buy something on other store you need CC with local address. I don't see any reason why i can't buy something on US/Russian/AU store if i am there. If i can go to physical store and buy games without any issues why would Valve lock me from buying those games digitally? I am in that country at that time no matter if that is permanent or temporary. But again with recent Region Locks shenanigans from Valve they need to cover their ass and reduce Support Tickets like "I bought game when i was traveling now i can't play it at home".

Dr Dogg

I even forgot to mention I already have a new PC: i7 this time, but I still remain in 2GB VRAM camp with 750 what pains me to no end, only 8GB RAM too, but I'll survive this too, less multitasking should help, only how to adjust to that.

Pfft! Look at you acting all high and mighty. I struggled through 21 hours of GTA V with a measly 1gb of VRAM just fine. Actually that's a load of cobblers as every now and then rendering stalls, especially when getting out to the desert, while it tries to swap out memory. Not too much I can do to lower anything as bar a few CPU dependent settings I can't go any lower. Dev's should really be considerate and include a 640x480 VGA resolution for us less fortunate souls :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom