• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

Pfft! Look at you acting all high and mighty. I struggled through 21 hours of GTA V with a measly 1gb of VRAM just fine. Actually that's a load of cobblers as every now and then rendering stalls, especially when getting out to the desert, while it tries to swap out memory. Not too much I can do to lower anything as bar a few CPU dependent settings I can't go any lower. Dev's should really be considerate and include a 640x480 VGA resolution for us less fortunate souls :p

wait... why do you have 1GB of VRAM, was it experiment to run GTA on ancient PC or something? (¬‿¬)

So my Steam account is bound to my current region, Europe1.

Is it possible to use FlyVPN, set my region there as USA, log in Steam, go to an otherwise unavailable gamepage and put it on my wishlist?

yeah, it should be possible, but why would you use VPN for this?

Is it possible to use FlyVPN, set my region there as USA, log in Steam, go to an otherwise unavailable gamepage and put it on my wishlist?
yeah, it should be possible, but why would you use VPN for this?
Steam apparently changed something and doing the old method with /?cc=us doesn't work anymore :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

The only way to change your default store region is to have somebody in that region buy you something. I should probably clarify that this does not change your Steam Wallet currency type -- it's not a "full" region change.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Well i think i saw that you won't be able to use your CC if you are outside of your region now. But again there is chance that i misread that.

Yeah if you want to buy something on other store you need CC with local address. I don't see any reason why i can't buy something on US/Russian/AU store if i am there. If i can go to physical store and buy games without any issues why would Valve lock me from buying those games digitally? I am in that country at that time no matter if that is permanent or temporary. But again with recent Region Locks shenanigans from Valve they need to cover their ass and reduce Support Tickets like "I bought game when i was traveling now i can't play it at home".
I don't think you could ever do what you're saying. Whenever you traveled abroad, you had to use the "?cc=XX" trick in order to make Steam access your home region instead of the country you're currently in. This new change seems to avoid that step, always putting you in your home store no matter where you are. At a quick glance sounds shady (region locking and stuff), but if it works like this then it is probably a positive thing.

Remember that you weren't allowed to purchase games from other regions before. Region lock was always there, so in that sense things will stay the same as before.

The only way to change your default store region is to have somebody in that region buy you something. I should probably clarify that this does not change your Steam Wallet currency type -- it's not a "full" region change.
So when I give a friend from USA my steam account and he buys something on my account, I will have permanent access to US steam store?

This stuff gets too complicated -_-'

derExperte

what? Tron2 and some other Disney games had cards from day one, Tron cards were ones of most expensive (as animu cards expensive) on the market, that's why I remember, I couldn't resist and sold them all.

edited: talking about that Fractured Space promotion, does it mean you have to play it, to own it after. For how long? 10 minutes is enough? (><)

It appeared on Recently added and there were very cards on the market. And no price history. So I figured they're new.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
So when I give a friend from USA my steam account and he buys something on my account, I will have permanent access to US steam store?

that is correct ... although - you will have to still use his payment method if you ever want to buy something from the US store ;)

Yes, although since in doing so you'd technically be partaking in cross-region purchasing, it's inherently risky.

also - that, yes

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Yes, although since in doing so you'd technically be partaking in cross-region purchasing, it's inherently risky.

that is correct ... although - you will have to still use his payment method if you ever want to buy something from the US store ;)

PayPal would still work, at least... but I wouldn't recommend it.

Kaleinc

Banned
and what use those purchases will be when they move to other region again?
Please don't do this, there is nothing good in locking, never was and never will be.
Not to mention the hassle when you permanently change places of residence. One step closer to a locked refugee camp.

Dr Dogg

wait... why do you have 1GB of VRAM, was it experiment to run GTA on ancient PC or something? (¬&#8255;¬)

Long story short, caught the 'Upgrade' bug (well technically more of a Sidegrade) and paid the cost when the cooler fan decided not to flipping work. Of course I had already sold my previous cards to part finance my splurging so was kind of left with strip down my work PC (not happening), or use what I had laying about which was either a 9800GT or a 8400GS (I used to be up to my eyes in GPU's at one point) while I RMA'd my new card (which didn't go as expected either). Thankfully it's a 1GB model or I would be screwed for pretty much anything in the last 3 years. So I'm kicking it old school for a few weeks.

derExperte

When you change your main region and buy something the wallet currency changes now.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6627-QSNM-5276

How do I change my wallet currency?
Your wallet currency reflects your store country, which you can select from the Account Details page using the above instructions.

I've changed my store country and now I'm unable to use my wallet funds
Once you've selected your new country of residence, you'll need to verify that you do in fact live there by using a local payment method tied to a local address for your next purchase.

madjoki

Well i think i saw that you won't be able to use your CC if you are outside of your region now. But again there is chance that i misread that.

Your country is now part of your Account Details, making it easy to purchase games and apps on Steam from anywhere. When you're signed in to Steam you'll be able to see prices and make purchases in your country's currency.

How do I make a purchase while travelling?

Your country is now part of your Steam account, so no matter where you travel, you'll see the store in your country's prices and be able to make purchases as you would normally.

and what use those purchases will be when they move to other region again?
Please don't do this, there is nothing good in locking, never was and never will be.

Only cheap regions are locked. This does not affect your games or playability.

So, can I use again my eurogabens if I switch my region back to Euro2 instead of the UK? I missed out on Killer is Dead because I couldn't use them ;_; Or are UK prices generally lower than euro ones?
just kidding, I know there's nothing cheap in the UK

I don't want to buy to be honest. Just put stuff on my wishlist which is not available here. Valve shouldn't care, right?
PayPal would still work, at least... but I wouldn't recommend it.
Even if it is a SteamGaffer?

derExperte

So, can I use again my eurogabens if I switch my region back to Euro2 instead of the UK? I missed out on Killer is Dead because I couldn't use them ;_; Or are UK prices generally lower than euro ones?

If you switch and do one purchase in the new region with a local payment method your wallet will get converted to that currency.

The new system is pretty neat imo and a clear improvement for many. It also should reduce the work of the Steam support.

madjoki

lemme guess, that makes it right? People that live in cheap regions don't travel, have friends or move to other regions ever.
Are you serious?

I'm talking about this change, it does not affect playability, region locks are earlier and separate system.

Dr Dogg

Depends, GTA is as are the Total War titles and WB and Bethesda titles for the last couple of years have ended up being cheaper here. Since about late 2013 most EU1 & EU2 prices started to move to be cheaper than the UK ones but most of the time it's a mixed bag (sometimes Capcom stuff is cheaper here other times it's better for EU1/2).

I'm talking about this change, it does not affect playability, region locks are earlier and separate system.
So someone who lives in Europe but also sometimes in Russia can have access to both stores. Buy for cheap russian prices and still play while in Europe?

That is not a bad change by Valve. Still don't like that they disabled viewing other stores.

Arthea

I don't care for this change, personally, it doesn't affect how steam works now. I was responding to your post that it's better this way because people can buy games in regions they travel to. And I mean it's not better.

So someone who lives in Europe but also sometimes in Russia can have access to both stores. Buy for cheap russian prices and still play while in Europe?

That is not a bad change by Valve. Still don't like that they disabled viewing other stores.

no, that's not how it is, games bought in Russia, won't be playable in Europe without resorting to VPN.
There is nothing good in this change, as fundamentally it changes nothing.

derExperte

You still have to pay attention, if you buy any of Ubisofts new titles in Russia you not only get an ip-locked game, you also only get the Russian language. That doesn't change.

Agreed, at least ES will still be able to help, yesterday it stopped displaying all the prices but now it works again.

no, that's not how it is, games bought in Russia, won't be playable in Europe without resorting to VPN.

Not every game, actually fewer and fewer are using hard ip-locks since the complete trade ban last year. Ubisoft is one of the exceptions. And the changes make it easier to change regions and its the first time the wallet gets converted without involving support.

madjoki

You don't need to contact support to change region, but can do it manually. It's good, for those who move or travel a lot.

I don't understand why everyone is going like this is worst change ever.

Arthea

Not every game, actually fewer and fewer are using hard ip-locks since the complete trade ban last year. Ubisoft is one of the exceptions. And the changes make it easier to change regions and its the first time the wallet gets converted without involving support.
How do you know this? I mean that less games are locked on run level. I thought that's default now for steam apps.

Parsnip

Such confusion around this store region change thing.

original_24086599.jpg

Skylake and GPU dieshrinks coming this year.

There's always something new right around the corner. Can't hold forever.

derExperte

How do you know this? I mean that less games are locked on run level. I thought that's default now for steam apps.

I still regularly check SteamDB. Before the trade lock more and more games used ip lock for Russian version but since Valve started to implement a bunch of trade restriction that has gone down significantly. And indie games usually didn't use them anyway. It of course still happens and the situation is far from ideal.

Arthea

I still regularly check SteamDB. Before the trade lock more and more games used ip lock for Russian version but since Valve started to implement more and more trade restriction that has gone down significantly. And indie games didn't use them anyway in general. It of course still happens and it's certainly not ideal.

Well, that's good news, indeed. I stopped checking steamDB, as there was no need for it anymore.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't care for this change, personally, it doesn't affect how steam works now. I was responding to your post that it's better this way because people can buy games in regions they travel to. And I mean it's not better.

It changes having to mess with the URL in order to buy games when you're in another country. It streamlines the experience for the user, and that's good enough for me.

Region locked games bought in Russia were never playable anywhere else, it's got nothing to do with the new system.

Sarcasm

Tying to country would actually let me use my American bank to buy stuff.

Whereas now I can't really. I have to move money around and stuff.

I live in Taiwan btw. My account is American since I am American.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Yeah still not getting Dark Souls 2 till it's cheap. The stuff around that game has been a lot of jerking around so it makes me lose confidence in it's quality.

Arthea

It changes having to mess with the URL in order to buy games when you're in another country. It streamlines the experience for the user, and that's good enough for me.

Region locked games bought in Russia were never playable anywhere else, it's got nothing to do with the new system.
Before most games were not region locked on run level, at least none that I know of, so I'm not sure what are you even talking about.

Where is Chariot? I have amazing news for him.
One more Sakura game is on greenlight (><)
the link is NSFW, you've been warned
Sakura Beach

also as its a beach game, I think I need to put Milamber's alert on it too.

edited: also all three Lilly and Sasha games are now on greenlight.
Lilly and Sasha: Guardian Angels
Lilly and Sasha: Nexus of Souls
Lilly and Sasha: Curse of the Immortals is already greenlit.

These Sakura games must sell well to them keep making new entries in the series.

derExperte

Tying to country would actually let me use my American bank to buy stuff.

Whereas now I can't really. I have to move money around and stuff.

I live in Taiwan btw. My account is American since I am American.

In theory you should now be able to buy from the US store using your US payment method.

Or you could change your whole Steam store to Taiwan and use local payment.

Arthea

In theory you should now be able to buy from the US store using your US payment method.

wait... so how is that better than before? you have to change to other store if you are travelling, but you no longer can do that because there is no cc trick or what?
Maybe I misunderstood what you mean by change all store, does buying a game in other country automatically changes your store to that country? That's horrible if true and it comes with forced currency change no less?
Kindly elaborate on this, in case I want to buy some games while travelling.

original_24086599.jpg

Skylake and GPU dieshrinks coming this year.

Where are you getting this from? Every rumor and report is pointing towards it being next year. And a drastic one at that. From 28nm straight to 16nm FF. TSMC and GloFo are having problems with 20nm and mobile chips have the priority.

derExperte

wait... so how is that better than before? you have to change to other store if you are travelling

No. Say you're an American. Say you're traveling to Germany. While in Germany you now still can buy games in the US store using your usual payment methods like if you are still in the US. OR you can say 'hey I'm staying longer in Germany, let's change my account over'. Then you can buy in the German store and as soon as you complete a purchase with a German payment method your Steam wallet gets changed to &#8364;. Want to buy from the US? Change it back, the option will still be there.

I've been playing GTA V since yesterday, but only after the latest patch today I finally saw steam overlay working with the game. I thought the game didn't support it.
It's not because of the patch, right? Or is it?

Where is Chariot? I have amazing news for him.
One more Sakura game is on greenlight (><)
the link is NSFW, you've been warned
Sakura Beach

also as its a beach game, I think I need to put Milamber's alert on it too.

why they have to go through greenlight anyway considering that they have released 3 other games already?

Arthea

No. Say you're an American. Say you're traveling to Germany. While in Germany you now still can buy games in the US store using your usual payment methods like if you are still in the US. OR you can say 'hey I'm staying longer in Germany, let's change my account over'. Then you can buy in the German store and as soon as you complete a purchase with a German payment method your Steam wallet gets changed to &#8364;. Want to buy from the US? Change it back, the option will still be there.

got it, that does sound much better

I still don't understand why everything is done in so convoluted manner tho.
Why there are regions and why can't you pick currency you want to pay in freely. Wouldn't it be much more logical and user friendly if steam store had fixed prices of games for all planet, only had permanent "discounts" for regions that need it, if your IP and bank account is in that region. So if you move to more prosperous region, you lose your discounts, if you move to not so prosperous they increase.
If you wanna buy a gift in cheaper region you get lesser discount on it or not at all.
Why locks, multiple locks, gifting locks, run level locks, nonsensical locks by publishers, etc. Would having one fair strategy work better and annoy noone? Why chaos when we can have order?

why they have to go through greenlight anyway considering that they have released 3 other games already?

I don't know, lots of devs, much better than Sakura devs had to go through greenlight multiple times. Who knows why? Valve never tell us anything. But you can bet your steam library on, Volvo does have agenda (><)

I guess the pre-order bonus cash in GTA V doesn't split evenly between characters. Kinda funny that Franklin is rolling around with half a million while Michael's doing bong rips in front of his son's gigantic flat screen with only 7 grand in his pocket.
But he gets to shoot aliens so it's ok.

Sarcasm

wait... so how is that better than before? you have to change to other store if you are travelling, but you no longer can do that because there is no cc trick or what?
Maybe I misunderstood what you mean by change all store, does buying a game in other country automatically changes your store to that country? That's horrible if true and it comes with forced currency change no less?
Kindly elaborate on this, in case I want to buy some games while travelling.

Only if you guys know how many times I get blocked. Taiwan seems to get blanket blocked using GMG. Sega games? lol yea can't buy it here! I had to buy from Amazon and VPN activate my VC copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom