• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lomax

I'm probably very late (news is from 24h ago) but I still think it is interesting news.

2K Australia, developer of Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, closes down

One is of course much newer and didn't have same prices but I still think sequels are doing very often much worse than expected.

In this case I especially find it alarming since the pre-sequel is not a bad game but apparently more-of-the-same ain't cutting it anymore.

I'm still inclined to think development costs on Pre-Sequel had to have been a lot lower (or at least that was the intent). I think the biggest mistake they made was pricing it full price, I know I'd have probably jumped if the base price had been $40 instead of $60 but not buying it then just makes me wait for the inevitable 75% off "GotY" version.

700k just on the PC for a game that was basically an overpriced expansion pack is pretty great, actually. I don't see a scenario where they didn't make money off of that game, but i can see how developing in Australia can be a costly thing. I hope those who were affected bounce back asap.

As I've said before my biggest issue was the story for tomb raider. Would have enjoyed the game far more had it not been so bad.

Yeah but the story in all of the TR games are pretty bad, though. I don't remember what happened in Legends except that i fought some sort of zombie lady nemesis at the end?

I mean, i dont really remember the story in TR2013 either but I enjoyed it much more than any other TR game i've played.

Dark Souls 2 farts all over Demon Souls.

Bought Day 0. It's not as great as DS1, but it's still a fantastic game.

Yup

The hate against DS2 is completely reactionary, hyperbolic, boring sentiment, in my opinion. That it doesn't live up to the instant classic that is Dark Souls (one) speaks more about the greatness of Dark Souls than it does about DS2.

That being said, Demon's Souls is clearly the better game, so feel free to stop clowning. A PC remake would light the world on fire.

The hate against DS2 is completely reactionary, hyperbolic, boring sentiment, in my opinion. That it doesn't live up to the instant classic that is Dark Souls (one) speaks more about the greatness of Dark Souls than it does about DS2.

Couldn't agree with you mor....

That being said, Demon's Souls is clearly the better game, so feel free to stop clowning. A PC remake would light the world on fire.

...oh. nm

Demon Souls is good, fore sure. But better than Dark? eh

Arthea

This can't be real... 800K sales are considered bad now? How much it could cost to develop? I thought it's basically Borderlands 2 expansion, a short one and a price wasn't exactly low.

It's complete they're doing engine improvements though and inserting a new translation when thats done. The first two have been translated and have been free for ages pretty much.

They are doing a new translation? Why not fix existing one?

Sendou

Played and dropped "It came from space, and ate our brains" but figured I might as well write impressions in the form of a few pointers since I saw few people had it wishlisted.

• Gameplay is pretty inoffensive or you could even say bland. You just walk around and shoot waves of purple aliens while collecting money to upgrade your weapons.
  • Speaking of upgrading the way they implemented it includes a cumbersome menu that disturbs the flow of the game. I'm sure there could have been a way to do it without having to pause in the middle of a wave in progress.
  • There's only one color for the environment which coupled with the fact that it's dark everywhere makes getting around more hard than is necessary. At times it feels like navigating a maze with invisible walls. Be prepared to hit a couple of dead-ends when trying out a level for the first time.
  • Had troubles finding the right difficulty. Medium feels too easy, hard too hard.
  • Seems to be pretty light on content for the asking price of 10€. Although it seems like more levels are coming. Not that it became a problem because I had no desire to play the game for longer than 45 minutes.
  • No option for anti-aliasing which is pretty weird.
  • They advertise Jim Sterling's review of the game in the main menu. I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing just something I never saw before. Is there really need to refer people who already bought the game to reviews?
  • Didn't try multiplayer but it's hard to see how it would save this game. Although it's fair to say it's probably a better experience than the singleplayer mode.
  • Summa summarum: feels like an Early Access game but isn't marked as such.

This can't be real... 800K sales are considered bad now? How much it could cost to develop? I thought it's basically Borderlands 2 expansion, a short one and a price wasn't exactly low.
700k just on the PC for a game that was basically an overpriced expansion pack is oretty great, actually. I don't see a scenario where they didn't make money off of that game, but i can see how developing in Australia can be a costly thing. I hope those who were affected bounce back asap.
Yeah, 700-800k is a big number even more so considering the price!
From the videos I saw there seems to be a lot of reused textures, models etc. which could have sped up dev time as well. But a traditional big studio still must cost a little fortune.

I am reading that Australia must be expensive from some posts here. I don't quite understand. There are many US and Canada based studios doing well. Shouldn't that be around the same costs?

fantomena

Dark Souls 2 is not a very bad game, but it's not a very good game imo.

For me:

Demon's Souls -> Bloodborne -> Dark Souls ->->->->->->->->->Dark Souls 2

Dark Souls 2 just didn't feel right. The enemies and bosses were unfascinating, the environments didn't feel connected at all etc.

Dr Dogg

Where are peeps getting The Presequel's numbers from? If it's SteamSpy bear in mind it was bundled with pretty much every Nvidia card for about 2 months.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Dark Souls 2 is not a very bad game, but it's not a very good game imo.

For me:

Demon's Souls -> Bloodborne -> Dark Souls ->->->->->->->->->Dark Souls 2

Dark Souls 2 just didn't feel right. The enemies and bosses were unfascinating, the environments didn't feel connected at all etc.

I figure that some of it might be because of engine changes but I can't be sure without playing it. So far it looks like Demon's, Dark 1, and Bloodborne all use the Phryengine.

Where are peeps getting The Presequel's numbers from? If it's SteamSpy bear in mind it was bundled with pretty much every Nvidia card for about 2 months.
Yep, it was Steamspy. I didn't know about the promo. Really a shame to not have good, reliable numbers.

Which models did get a bundle code? I am guessing but can't imagine more than 100k being based on those?

Turfster

New GOG deals, final day:
  • Divinity Original Sin 40% off
  • Mount & Blade Pack 75% off (Mount & Blade+warband+fire & sword+napoleon wars)
  • Gothic Trilogy 60% off (1, 2, 3)
  • Spatial Awareness Pack 75% off (Space Colony HD, Master of Orion 1+2, GalCiv I)
  • Cyberpunk Pack 75% off (Deus Ex, Deus Ex IW, Omikron, Anachronox)

Also, you people seem to be forgetting Presequel sales for consoles, which are probably a multitude of the PC sales.

Kiru

I'm probably very late (news is from 24h ago) but I still think it is interesting news.

2K Australia, developer of Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, closes down

One is of course much newer and didn't have same prices but I still think sequels are doing very often much worse than expected.

In this case I especially find it alarming since the pre-sequel is not a bad game but apparently more-of-the-same ain't cutting it anymore.

"The Pre-Sequel" as a name was already stupid.

Dr Dogg

Yep, it was Steamspy. I didn't know about the promo. Really a shame to not have good, reliable numbers.

Which models did get a bundle code? I am guessing but can't imagine more than 100k being based on those?

Pretty much everything bar a Titan Z from what I saw at the time, which was right around 970 fever and when 780Ti's, 780's, 770's and 760's were EOL as well which were going for dirt cheap. As to how many are promo copies? Who knows bar Valve, 2K and Nvidia.

"The Pre-Sequel" as a name was already stupid.

Borderlands isn't exactly known for its high brow insightful comedy

Pretty much everything bar a Titan Z from what I saw at the time, which was right around 970 fever and when 780Ti's, 780's, 770's and 760's were EOL as well which were going for dirt cheap. As to how many are promo copies? Who knows bar Valve, 2K and Nvidia.

sure, but they're getting paid for each one of those vouchers. Probably not full retail price, but they're getting something per copy.

Turfster

Getgames Mac sale. Most of these are steam keys, and ALL BUT BLACK OPS should be steamplay.

Getgames F1 sale. 60-75% off F1 games

GMG has Squenix and SEGA deals.
Highlights include Valkyria for 66% off, Deus Ex collection 75% off.
Note that not all the telltale games on that page are steam keys.
Voucher: SAVE20-APRILD-EALSON

Parsnip

I figure that some of it might be because of engine changes but I can't be sure without playing it. So far it looks like Demon's, Dark 1, and Bloodborne all use the Phryengine.

Bloodborne as well? I always figured that their "next-gen" engine that they developed for DkS2 was used in Bloodborne too.

Knurek

I know why Chronicles of Dark Lord II is so ginormous.

Look into Graphics/Overlay folder. See that ~1500 huge-ass PNG files?
That's all of the backgrounds the game uses.
Instead of using tilesets (like every other RPG Maker game), they have these. Including several variations of each background (for animated tiles). Also including 1.0 GB of duplicate (bytewise identical) data.

Seriously... What the eff?

dex3108

Getgames Mac sale. Most of these are steam keys, and ALL BUT BLACK OPS should be steamplay.

Tnx i bought DE:HR Missing Link finally :D

Couldn't agree with you mor....

...oh. nm

Better than Dark 2.

Now that I'm nearing the end of the game that shall not be mentioned in Steam thread, I can comfortably say Dark 1 is the best in the series.

Demon's tops it with the emotional aspect, the constant forlorn feeling that permeates from everyone. Maiden Astrea is all-time god-tier of bosses, not only for how you can approach her, but because she truly feels that what she was doing was right in the face of what she found out. The religion, the politics, the morals are so gray in that game, it's beautiful. I think the world changes caused by your actions in Demon's were also the best in the series.

Dark Souls just had it all.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Bloodborne as well? I always figured that their "next-gen" engine that they developed for DkS2 was used in Bloodborne too.

I think with the amount of detail in Bloodborne it's probably safe to bet it's development predates DkS2's development and there is also the possibly that Bandai owns the new engine but maybe we'll hear more on that later.

Dr Dogg

sure, but they're getting paid for each one of those vouchers. Probably not full retail price, but they're getting something per copy.

And you can be sure those were accounted for by 2K into how much revenue the game had to generate to be profitable but no one knows that outside of them. What was the budget on The Pre-sequel? How many copies were sold through at full price? What did the game generate in revenue across all platforms? No one bar 2K knows but that doesn't stop folks taking one set of incomplete data with no analytical bearing and drawing their own conclusions.

So, what is a good proxy to view Game Informer and its videos? Want to view what they have about Deus Ex so far, but the vids don't work. Only used proxies that google listed on the first page so far.

Why is that stupid site region blocked in the first place? Has been such a pain in the ass.

rtcn63

So, what is a good proxy to view Game Informer and its videos? Want to view what they have about Deus Ex so far, but the vids don't work. Only used proxies that google listed on the first page so far.

Why is that stupid site region blocked in the first place? Has been such a pain in the ass.

Can you access their Youtube page?

EDIT: Unless the coverage is exclusive to the website

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

tumblr_lqrrjo8pW21qbw7q9o1_500.gif

F1 2014, of course.

Also, fuck Bernie.

Kiru

Give me a link as an example.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Played and dropped "It came from space, and ate our brains" but figured I might as well write impressions in the form of a few pointers since I saw few people had it wishlisted.

• They advertise Jim Sterling's review of the game in the main menu. I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing just something I never saw before. Is there really need to refer people who already bought the game to reviews?
Hahaha, this is so silly I can't help but love it! If I ever made a joke game, I would totally do this.

Uraizen

Banned

I still can't believe that's a separate product on Steam.

So are any of these calladuty games good except for 4? That was my last one and I enjoyed it.

Spares:

ModBot said:
Instructions for Kurt Russell:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Dead Space 2 -- MB-AF685E864C065817 - Taken by eyeless
House of 1,000 Doors: The Palm of Zoroaster -- MB-B414DC6F68FC5F2E - Taken by Baron_Calamity
Skulls of the Shogun -- MB-B2848A4485B08680 - Taken by nightstorm

derExperte

GMG got some cheap Sega games like Condemned for 2€£ or Typing of the Dead for 3 when using SAVE20-APRILD-EALSON. Valkyria Chronicles too.

Try this Proxy 97.77.104.22:3128 response time is not perfect, but it works for me when using YouTube
Found a better French one: 94.23.205.32:3128

EDIT: nvm, both not working for GameInformer. Crazy world we live in, lol.

lol

I recall a gaffer saying he tweeted their editor about the situation, but he didn't respond

not sure what's going on. Has been like this for at least 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom