• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annubis

Dang it! Scouring through tech-sites to choose the best configuration and I can't help but read stuff like this.
The 10 Worst Things About Building a New Gaming PC
It hits so many points, urgh! Why did I read it?!

Gonna read this asap.
The 10 Best Things About Building a New Gaming PC

I'm really considering buying an already made rig for my next computer...
I'm not sure I've got it in me to make yet another one. Especially since I made a pretty big mistake building my current one which I managed to fix, but that was really scary at the time.

Is there a company that sells good gaming computer for an acceptable price?
I mean, there's Alienware, but their prices are ridiculous.

EDIT: and ships to Canada

Haha, that was surprisingly funny!
I'm not sure I've got it in me to make yet another one. Especially since I made a pretty big mistake building my current one which I managed to fix, but that was really scary at the time.

I never built a PC on myself and won't probably this time as well - kinda.
I found a reputable store which sells customizable "upgrade-PCs". So I can choose CPU, PSU etc. That will be the base. I will buy a GPU and SSD seperately and plug them in myself.

So I can still say "I build my own PC!"

Please go light Doc.

kennah

I'd do it for you. No extra charge.

Nabs

New SpeedRunners update: New Map, Dunder Reporting, and more.

XpFQk7P.png

Woo! Big update! And not a stupid word puzzle.

New Map

Casper is now in South America and designed a map called "Aztec". I wonder where the inspiration came from :) It features a giant, super-fast downwards slope and a SS Royale-style 8-figure design. Check it out and let us know what you think!

Cheater reporting

You can now report cheaters in the TAB-enabled menu. Please do so as we gear up to combat cheating in SpeedRunners.

No new characters

There are no new secret characters in this build.

Full release log
Added a new Prototype level by Casper
Rearranged the options menu
Added search distance options in the options menu
You can now lock the search distance or set your max search distance
Added cheater and abuse reporting
Added a "Find new match" button in the lobby
Updated the font rendering system, it now supports way more characters!
The level editor menus are now hidden in playtest mode
Updated Silo as suggested here http://steamcommunity.com/app/207140/discussions/2/618459109263738867/
Added some fancy social network links
Did not add a new secret character

Copons

Goddamit I just got randomly pulled over and, because I forgot to do the vehicle inspection on my scooter last year, I was gifted a super cool fine of an amount large enough to kill my next three Steam sales budget. What a time to be alive!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Extremely pleased by my first impressions (~1hour) of Ori and the Blind Forest, you did not let me down Nabs

I want to say that regardless of the quality of the new films and of Battlefront, i truly appreciate Disney and co. in their complete disregard of the prequels. them were some dark times for all.

It's especially weird to consider that i've seen posts in these very forums of folks who grew up on the prequels and have never see the unaltered OG trilogy. Crying shame that their parents would let that happen, they deserve better parents.

Did anyone ever play the old Battlefront games for single player? Afair they were worse than the Battlefield campaings. And yeah, I might have to get it day 1.

I did. It was a lot of fun slowly conquering the galaxy in both, and using heroes in 2 was even better. The AI was useless and some of the maps were poorly balanced, but it still ended up being an enjoyable Star Wars experience.

Making it Battlefield was the absolute worst way to handle Battlefront, but I guess with DICE and EA at the helm I shouldn't be surprised. The era of good Star Wars games ended a long time ago.
This is not

SUPER
HOT

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
And yet no PC version? Seems odd. Maybe there's still hope.

My guess is that there'll be a digital-only PC version at some point and additional characters will be sold as DLC as opposed to figurines, a la the PC version of Infinity 2.0.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Portal gun and mini-figures to be included in LEGO Dimensions game, probably.

The article and it's assumptions may be a bit premature at this point. It's all being based on speculation from the top of the Dimensions box art that's been skewed:

I mean, I hope it's true... but it really could just be someone or something else with a white shirt and orange pants.

Visual in that trailer were crazy. CG-level, I am not even joking.
Would be insane to see them hitting that in the final PC release.
Then again, I saw the Uncharted 4 footage on Gamersyde and when that is possible on consoles... wow. The future where the baseline is currentgen can't come soon enough!
But many watching the trailer will believe this being already final quality for PS4. And once it is released people will say "downgrade!". What a vicious cycle.

-Deimos

it's not even origin hate

there's something about the whole battlelog yadda yadda experience that got old for me and became more of a nuisance by the time I was playing BF4

this is gonna be that

I'm actually one of those filthy battlelog supporters. At first I hated the fact that the game's menu had to be accessed from an internet browser, but it actually worked great.

I'm actually one of those filthy battlelog supporters. At first I hated the fact that the game's menu had to be accessed from an internet browser, but it actually worked great.

as a heathen who plays almost every PC game with a 360 pad, battlelog is such a major turnoff that i went PS4 with BF4.

Lomax

My guess is that there'll be a digital-only PC version at some point and additional characters will be sold as DLC as opposed to figurines, a la the PC version of Infinity 2.0.

Bleh, I don't understand why at this point the companies don't make their figure interface device just a standard USB device, then you could use it with PC or any system you wanted. Would help them sell more figures. Probably best it doesn't come to PC anyway, I'd end up spending a fortune on it.

Salsa

I just really loathe integrating stuff elsewhere or having to deal with yet more platforms

like the GTAV social club stuff

just let me use my fucking steam friends

I dont wanna go through some different website and look at stats and having to invite people through there or whatever the shit

I get it in theory but it's just a fucking bummer

Took me a while to find the transcript for the Gameslice podcast

You'd think that because of their push onto open platforms like Linux that they'd be more inclined to support Android, but nope.

so basically this is how Valve views smartphones

Gabe Newell: It's like trying to look into the future and then you try to have an uncertainty function around that. So here's an example of conversation that we actually have. So you're working on the VR stuff and you say how long is VR going be stable. Because you look at phones and internally we had this argument that the current smartphone is actually a fairly short term platform compared to the keyboard and mouse desktop PC, it's not going to be nearly as robust, and it will transition fairly quickly to what we think VR is going to turn into.

This weird idea of having this little tiny screen at arms length was really cool. It really was an accident of battery technology and an input methodology but that are probably skip ahead. So then we look at the VR and said how long will VR last. So we look at all the research that are going on right now in terms of how you can directly stimulate people's optic nerves.

There's some really great research that's being done around figuring out how to encode signals directly into your brain. And there's all this really clever stuff going into essentially how can you...

(also, while not Android, there's an iOS mention in this recent article)

so basically Valve is skipping smartphones in favor of VR.

And this comes two years after a presentation they did at GTC, saying one the main reasons they started the Linux/OGL project is it's a stepping stone for mobile...

Almost one year later the reason was mostly because of Chinese market.

Salsa

guys the game is confirmed to be 60fps even on PS4. how the fuck would it look like that

don't tell me even on the steam thread I have no safe zone for gullible people that eat up the same ol' all over again

Anteater

Hehehe. Watch how many folks miss this key point and they wonder why it didn't look like the 'reveal' trailer.

People already want to believe so hard in that thread >.>

I mean it's understandable if it's Ubi where they're telling you those are actual in game footage, but if they specifically said engine footage and not gameplay, then there's no reason to think it's actual gameplay...

and that thread is terrible already with people being "hyped" about it being a sony marketed game, what...

dex3108

guys the game is confirmed to be 60fps even on PS4. how the fuck would it look like that

don't tell me even on the steam thread I have no safe zone for gullible people that eat up the same ol' all over again

BF4
PS4 = 900p
X1 = 720p

BF:Hardline
PS4 = 900p
X1 = 720p

Battlefront
PS4 = 900p
X1 = 720p

That is reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.