• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Season 1 with St Albans is done. Now I need to decide whether to jump ship and or try and take them further. Season ended well, finished 13th and considered I joined in the middle of a terrible loss streak and rock bottom, I'll take it.

Table
7oi9yao.png

Position History

Results

Team

Zafir

Well that's silly. I downloaded Mortal Kombat earlier in the week but didn't get chance to play it between Uni and GTAV coming out on PC. I finally go to play it now to find out it hadn't actually downloaded it all. So I can't actually play it now. :I

As much as I like the idea of being able to play while it downloads, I wish you didn't have to launch it to initiate the downloads. >.>

And that doesn't touch the other disturbing things that would happen in the game.
29a2aefede.gif

Ergh.

I still can't believe I even finished the game. By the end I just wanted to skip every cutscene no thanks to Meracle, Lymle and Serah.
What about this?
de34b4a33c.gif
If only she did shoot him, maybe we wouldn't have had to listen to his whiny ass for most of the game!

The only people angry about this new Steam policy are those that do not use Steam or those that make cheating smurfs for CSGO.

CS:GO never goes under 5 bucks anyway, so it's just the former.

Also, someone pointed out how ridiculous it is that people are concern trolling by saying that Steam is screwing their customers... customers who are never going to be paying 5 bucks to the service, ever.

baterism

For the daily "crappy Steam thread" award this one is a good contender:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1031137

I am pretty sure that it's mostly concern trolls, but people are flipping tables because Steam now demands a "single pay subscription" (their words, not mine).

Threads like that make me feel smart. But, also sad...

GAF should add reading comprehension and basic logic for accepting member. j/k but not j/k actually.

I am pretty sure that it's mostly concern trolls, but people are flipping tables because Steam now demands a "single pay subscription" (their words, not mine).

Who on earth gets a digital distribution service and doesn't even buy five bucks worth of...

*looks over at Desura account with three games he got free and nothing else*

...I retract the question.

MUnited83

For you.

Best thing is the guy claiming that the 5$ cost won't stop spambots because they make more than 5$ per account. Now that's a smart one.

Sendou

Best thing is the guy claiming that the 5$ cost won't stop spambots because they make more than 5$ per account. Now that's a smart one.

If they did I would quit my day job and start doing some spam bot action instead. No second thoughts even. Probably around a million other would too though, lol.

Mr. Doop

This thread is so hilarious. I'm sure the overlap between people who don't spend any money on Steam and people who use it for all of the features that will be blocked is extremely high.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Part of me feels glad SO3 wasn't around PS3 era lol

Also SH2 had SO4's shenanigans yet Shadow Hearts 2 did it pretty hilariously.

Kiru

For Wintersports Enthusiasts, powered by CryEngine.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kiru, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

SNOW Beta -- MB-37ACAB3F14FE8A71 - Taken by Naked Snake. 10 entrants total.

t1429381526z1.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Does this mean that jshackles' Steam Invite Spam Filter is no longer needed? Or will the spammers still get through these restrictions somehow?

I'm still in a bit of a holding pattern to see if the new restrictions actually stem the tide of bots or not, or whether or not the new restrictions get lifted as people complain about them. I mean, the new system kinda sucks for people in the category of "Oh man, this new multiplayer-only retail game just came out, let's all buy a copy and play! Steam, what the hell is that? Okay I'll sign up for an account. Oh, I guess we'll all have to spend at least $5 on this Steam thing if we want to add each other as friends..."

Hopefully they stick to their guns though and hopefully it helps cut down on bots in the long run.

I'm still in a bit of a holding pattern to see if the new restrictions actually stem the tide of bots or not, or whether or not the new restrictions get lifted as people complain about them. I mean, the new system kinda sucks for people in the category of "Oh man, this new multiplayer-only retail game just came out, let's all buy a copy and play! Steam, what the hell is that? Okay I'll sign up for an account. Oh, I guess we'll all have to spend at least $5 on this Steam thing if we want to add each other as friends..."

Hopefully they stick to their guns though and hopefully it helps cut down on bots in the long run.

Do you think this will also effect the active user numbers in the long run?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Do you think this will also effect the active user numbers in the long run?

Well, the existing accounts created by scam bots get to stay but are limited. It will really be a good measuring stick to see if Valve is being truthful when they mention "active users" in the future. Sadly, nothing really "makes" them report the number of active users on Steam.

In reality, if these new restrictions work the way they're supposed to and the scam bot accounts get neglected (not logged into) then in a few months time Steam's number of active users should drop dramatically. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to learn that in 8-12 months Steam had once again reached 125m active users, not that they would report that number. If they continue to post articles at regular intervals about their numbers increasing, I'd say something very fishy is going on.

Dr Dogg

Has or does anyone keep data on a daily basis of current Steam logged in users? that could be an interesting stat to look at over a period of time.

GTA5 on PC is really great....when it doesn't crash. Which is does quite often.

Haven't made it past Franklin's first mission yet.

34 hours and counting and not one crash or any problems at all really. I mean you're not alone and some folks couldn't even get past Rockstar's launcher but it does seem either issues with address space (doubt it being 64bit) or folks are going over their commit limits. Then again I've never had more than 5gb usage for the process, 7gb in system memory and 12gb as commit charge and that's with no page file at all on 16gb physical RAM.

jshackles

Has or does anyone keep data on a daily basis of current Steam logged in users? that could be an interesting stat to look at over a period of time.

That will definitely be interesting to see over time. The thing is, the bot accounts can still log in and appear online, they'll just be prevented from sending invites out. It'll probably take a couple of weeks for the bot operators to realize that those bots aren't doing anything and eventually shut them down. Of course if the bots themselves are being run through malware or something along those lines, those accounts may just continue logging in all the same.

The really interesting number in this equation, not that Valve would ever share it, is the number of those 125m "active" users that had spent less than $5 and are thus now restricted. If I had to guess I'd say it was probably between 15-20 million.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
"Immortal or not, we'll keep killing you till you're dead!"
2c4f9498ca.gif

I want to meet the writers for some reason.

Tizoc

Why the hell does this game
header.jpg

End with a metal song for the credits?
...and how the fuck was I judged 'evil' and my sins being greater when the game itself told me I did more good choices than bad?

baterism

The really interesting number in this equation, not that Valve would ever share it, is the number of those 125m "active" users that had spent less than $5 and are thus now restricted. If I had to guess I'd say it was probably between 15-20 million.

I was thinking about the same thing. A lot of my friends already bought some games, but they never actually add steam wallet. They all buy through me or seller who will then send the game in exchange of cash or bank transfer. It is possible to buy steam wallet from local convenience store, but man, walking is tiring. Some seller also started selling steam wallet cards, so I think it will work out.

If those kind of users think steam community is such convenient and don't mind putting $5, I guess Steam will see quite big influx of money into the system.

I hope those money can somewhat goes into some quality titles like VC, not just to dota2 vase.
Bad Rats, Bad Rats everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom