• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaleinc

Banned
paying 5 bucks will get you a free game of your choice at 5 bucks, talk about value
I received 4 bot invites since the feature was implemented and it could take 200 more years till I finish blocking all previously created shit accounts. More importantly jshackles was working on a tool to ignore requests based on level, the solution is perfect and could have been easily put in motion by volvo ages ago. As well as a ton of other free ways to solve the issue but hey generating an extra buck is better.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
SNOW is pretty chill. I wish it handled better but overall its fun and something to just spend time doing nothing on it. Also I like making the guy suffer. :3

Saw this posted in the GTA V OT and seeing as some of you peeps have got the urge to upgrade this could save you a few quid or more over a couple of grand. Well if you win of course.

"You must enter with a Social Club account"

Well, I didn't really want a new computer anyway.

MadGear

Just playing Dark Souls again after a very long time and already finished the Painted World ... without killing Priscilla. I recalled the one time I killed her on my first ever playthrough where instead of giving me a feeling of accomplishment her line "But why ... what seeketh thee" actually made me feel bad. Ofc many felt bad about killing Sif (his hurt animation ...) but then again fighting him isn't a choice you make because it is designed as a mandatory encounter who attacks on sight, unlike Priscilla who begs you to leave her "prison" and her being dead or alive has no impact on the world or story at all.
Spec Ops: The Line also tried to invoke a feeling of guilt in the player but at least in my case Dark Souls was way more effective at it with one single line.

Stupid video games, making me aware of my emotions (... you know, besides rage).

Yeah it's crazy, It's either Kojima is really a master troll with a lot of data, or it's all HEAVEN'S will.
Haha at first I thought it was just a bizzare coincidence that theyre nearly 1:1 but nah man, after they said it was called HEAVEN im in the "this is kojima" camp
Link?

Also someone can provide me a world map complete with all locations for Pillars? I googled but I can't find one, it seems.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1031440

Dr Dogg

At least Finland is included.

Better learn those maths!

Hahaha. Seriously? That's mental.

Silly law against for-profit gambling, with a loophole that prizes can be awarded for tests of skill.

Ahhhh, that makes sense. Saying that there was a big hohah over here a couple of years back regards to day time tv quizies. Not only are the questions piss easy but selection was being weighted and closing line from entry without notifying the entrants who were still being changed per entry.

Lomax

I will say that my girlfriend has a perfectly legitimate account with dozens of games on it that she plays regularly, but if she hadn't purchased BoI: Rebirth when it came out, she'd fall into the "not a real user" category of this new setup as all her games either came as gifts or keys.

I'm glad they've put some restrictions in, we're all tired of the bot scamming, but I hope over time they'll develop some more organic restrictions based on real play time, specific games attached, or something. After all, there's a huge difference between someone who just started a Steam account by buying a retail copy of Mortal Kombat X for $60 at Walmart and someone who attaches a random bundle key, and there should be a way for the system to recognize the difference.

While it's easy to think that "everyone" has a Steam account these days, plenty of people don't and everyone has to start somewhere. No one likes being treated like a scammer when they obviously aren't. So to maintain growth of those people, there needs to be a balance between limiting abuse and encouraging new users to continue to participate in the ecosystem.

I received 4 bot invites since the feature was implemented and it could take 200 more years till I finish blocking all previously created shit accounts. More importantly jshackles was working on a tool to ignore requests based on level, the solution is perfect and could have been easily put in motion by volvo ages ago. As well as a ton of other free ways to solve the issue but hey generating an extra buck is better.

I will say that my girlfriend has a perfectly legitimate account with dozens of games on it that she plays regularly, but if she hadn't purchased BoI: Rebirth when it came out, she'd fall into the "not a real user" category of this new setup as all her games either came as gifts or keys.

I'm glad they've put some restrictions in, we're all tired of the bot scamming, but I hope over time they'll develop some more organic restrictions based on real play time, specific games attached, or something. After all, there's a huge difference between someone who just started a Steam account by buying a retail copy of Mortal Kombat X for $60 at Walmart and someone who attaches a random bundle key, and there should be a way for the system to recognize the difference.

While it's easy to think that "everyone" has a Steam account these days, plenty of people don't and everyone has to start somewhere. No one likes being treated like a scammer when they obviously aren't. So to maintain growth of those people, there needs to be a balance between limiting abuse and encouraging new users to continue to participate in the ecosystem.

Existing users are not counted in this new rule I think.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Okay, but the issue isn't "who is being restricted", the issue is "what are you being restricted from doing". The mere fact of being restricted is irrelevant. Steam could restrict my account right now, but if the restriction was that "I can't launch games whose titles start with Q on Sunday nights unless I spam a Meat Boy emoticon on my own profile page's wall and buy at least $0.14 worth of animu background images", then that's not a restriction that's actually going to impact me, so unless I'm just yelling because they call my account restricted instead of calling all the non-restricted accounts "Premium" or something, then there's no reason to continue the conversation.

Consider your girlfriend, and imagine she hadn't purchase BoI: Rebirth. The major limitations she'd have would be that she wouldn't be able to add friends, they'd have to add her. Is this a limitation? Well, you clearly have a valid account, so it's not impacting her ability to be friends with you. Does she have a lot of friends on Steam that don't have valid accounts and now they wouldn't be able to add each other? Okay, the next major limitation would be chat limitations. She can still chat via the client. She can no longer chat via mobile or desktop. Well, if she's on desktop, she can run the client. So that's that solved. That leaves mobile. Who does she chat with on Steam that she doesn't know IRL? She could use SMS or other chat programs on her phone. I'm assuming she doesn't primarily talk to you through Steam's awful mobile app, right? What else... she can't sell items on the market. This is a negative impact, I guess, but is it really such a problem for her, rather than buying games on bundles, buy her next game on Steam? The market isn't necessary for anything, it's basically a loyalty discount. Hell she can still use Steam Wallet credit (which would get her account unrestricted) to BUY market items, so it's not even impacting her ability to consume content, just profit off it.

And then, finally, we might imagine that your girlfriend is seriously inconvenienced by this stuff. Is she also unwilling to buy a game? Or at least put down $5 in credit towards buying a game in the future? And you're not willing to give her $5 to buy YOU a game, or do so in the future? It's not like they're charging a $5 fee or anything. They're just asking that at some point in your time on Steam, you spend at least $5 on something, including stuff that's 99% discounted.

This is my issue with the complaining. People seem to be bothered, conceptually, that they or someone they know might be restricted, but unwilling to consider what the restrictions are or what their options are for resolving them.

zkylon

zkylewd
No bad movie by all means, but I remember it being divisive when it came out among fans out of the source material. It had a great trailer, the opening credits is legit, and it was pretty faithful to the comic (on a panel-to-panel basis even), but the visuals and style showed Snyder got the wrong idea. Watchmen was never flashy. But in the end Snyder it mostly a style over substance director. Dawn of the Dead is still his best imo.

eh i dunno

i don't read comics but i thought the movie was pretty effective

Zky, if you want to try them out for good gameplay and an alright story I'd go with 2 and 3,
if you like Tales of Phantasia the first SO will be good too since it's pretty much that (If you play the PSP version it'll be like SO2),
and if you want to hate characters to nice combat you can play 4.
hmm yeah i dunno

i kinda just like a cool cast in my rpgs and that's about it

i don't need amazing combat or anything

like i was telling cheesy yesterday, i just kinda need to get on with persona 4 already :p

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
hmm yeah i dunno

i kinda just like a cool cast in my rpgs and that's about it

i don't need amazing combat or anything

like i was telling cheesy yesterday, i just kinda need to get on with persona 4 already :p

I'm usually a either or type of person so good combat, good story, or good characters. (I'd rather have all but that's extremely rare.)

Dr Dogg

Valve could have been total dicks and restricted access to your content like some mobile phone providers do, but they didn't. Or in a similar vain required a periodic top up, credit or purchase to the account but they didn't. Sadly there will be honest folks who this will effect but I would imagine any level headed person could see the reasons why this has been implemented and that Valve could have been much, much stricter.

Lomax

Okay, but the issue isn't "who is being restricted", the issue is "what are you being restricted from doing". The mere fact of being restricted is irrelevant. Steam could restrict my account right now, but if the restriction was that "I can't launch games whose titles start with Q on Sunday nights unless I spam a Meat Boy emoticon on my own profile page's wall and buy at least $0.14 worth of animu background images", then that's not a restriction that's actually going to impact me, so unless I'm just yelling because they call my account restricted instead of calling all the non-restricted accounts "Premium" or something, then there's no reason to continue the conversation.

Consider your girlfriend, and imagine she hadn't purchase BoI: Rebirth. The major limitations she'd have would be that she wouldn't be able to add friends, they'd have to add her. Is this a limitation? Well, you clearly have a valid account, so it's not impacting her ability to be friends with you. Does she have a lot of friends on Steam that don't have valid accounts and now they wouldn't be able to add each other? Okay, the next major limitation would be chat limitations. She can still chat via the client. She can no longer chat via mobile or desktop. Well, if she's on desktop, she can run the client. So that's that solved. That leaves mobile. Who does she chat with on Steam that she doesn't know IRL? She could use SMS or other chat programs on her phone. I'm assuming she doesn't primarily talk to you through Steam's awful mobile app, right? What else... she can't sell items on the market. This is a negative impact, I guess, but is it really such a problem for her, rather than buying games on bundles, buy her next game on Steam? The market isn't necessary for anything, it's basically a loyalty discount. Hell she can still use Steam Wallet credit (which would get her account unrestricted) to BUY market items, so it's not even impacting her ability to consume content, just profit off it.

And then, finally, we might imagine that your girlfriend is seriously inconvenienced by this stuff. Is she also unwilling to buy a game? Or at least put down $5 in credit towards buying a game in the future? And you're not willing to give her $5 to buy YOU a game, or do so in the future? It's not like they're charging a $5 fee or anything. They're just asking that at some point in your time on Steam, you spend at least $5 on something, including stuff that's 99% discounted.

This is my issue with the complaining. People seem to be bothered, conceptually, that they or someone they know might be restricted, but unwilling to consider what the restrictions are or what their options are for resolving them.

Oh I agree the complaints about the system are dumb, which is why I posted here instead of that thread. My thoughts are just in regards to legitimate new customers or other people in similar situations. The market restriction isn't new, but the inability to get any card drops at all is. But in general the blanket categorization is a new thing and in our modern era of f2p gaming it's easy (as we see in that thread) for people to perceive "non-spenders" as being somehow gimped, even when it isn't true. Marketing after all isn't about reality, it's about perception.

My main concern is that a new customer who bought a mainstream game at retail is considered the same at this point to someone who just created an account with a bundle key. I think that could potentially be alienating for those new customers, and I think it's something Valve should look into. Basically you could have those keys count as purchases. I'd wager if you register a new account with a Valve game like The Orange Box it counts (and if not, it certainly should).

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm usually a either or type of person so good combat, good story, or good characters. (I'd rather have all but that's extremely rare.)
yeah, i mean my favorite jrpgs kind of have of all of those (suikoden 2, vp1, parasite eve 1, xenosaga/gears, ff7, persona 3, nocturne, fm1, etc...).

but to catch my attention i tend to need likable characters or a likable setting from the get go. something like 250 hours of gameplay or a great combo system or whatever is not really the way to hook me :p

so yea i maybe should just play p4 since p3 might be like the best game of all time if u ask me

Valve could have been total dicks and restricted access to your content like some mobile phone providers do, but they didn't. Or in a similar vain required a periodic top up, credit or purchase to the account but they didn't. Sadly there will be honest folks who this will effect but I would imagine any level headed person could see the reasons why this has been implemented and that Valve could have been much, much stricter.
yeah 5 usd isn't so bad

like even if your friend gets fucked by this they can just like buy vvvvvvv and be happy forever

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
yeah, i mean my favorite jrpgs kind of have of all of those (suikoden 2, vp1, parasite eve 1, xenosaga/gears, ff7, persona 3, nocturne, fm1, etc...).

but to catch my attention i tend to need likable characters or a likable setting from the get go. something like 250 hours of gameplay or a great combo system or whatever is not really the way to hook me :p

so yea i maybe should just play p4 since p3 might be like the best game of all time if u ask me

Only recent game I can think of there that fits that is Tales of Vesperia really. :p

Vazra

What game?

Mortal Kombat X. I love them jump scares.

EDIT: Let me go back to Resonance of Fate.
resonanceoffategun_zps80d63ee2.jpg

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
i mean the combat is shit but nier blew my mind <3

I love Nier too despite it not being the best game-wise! I got Drakengard 3 Collector's Edition and soundtrack because of it. lol
It wasn't too story deep like Nier and ran like crap but I enjoyed it still until the final boss. (I spent about 18 hours on the final boss.)
e1Hmn0R.png

Miguel81

Just finishing up Act III of Watch_Dogs Bad Blood DLC. I only wish T-Bone had been the protagonist in the main game. He's a much more likeable character.

zkylon

zkylewd
I love Nier too despite it not being the best game-wise! I got Drakengard 3 Collector's Edition and soundtrack because of it. lol
It wasn't too story deep like Nier and ran like crap but I enjoyed it still until the final boss. (I spent about 18 hours on the final boss.)
e1Hmn0R.png
nice

i actually really liked drakengard 1 in spite of the game trying its darnest to make sure no one ever enjoys anything about it lol. it was just like the perfect storm of freaky that i could actually appreciate. like being pleasantly horrified or something like that

i wanna get to drakengard 3 at one point but yeah that whole thing about it running like crap makes me kind of want to wait for like 8 years until there's a ps3 emulator or something

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
nice

i actually really liked drakengard 1 in spite of the game trying its darnest to make sure no one ever enjoys anything about it lol. it was just like the perfect storm of freaky that i could actually appreciate. like being pleasantly horrified or something like that

i wanna get to drakengard 3 at one point but yeah that whole thing about it running like crap makes me kind of want to wait for like 8 years until there's a ps3 emulator or something

Well there is one but it won't be usable for any big games for a long while. You can play Sonic CD on it though!

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
OT giveaway for the music fans here :)
Got the vinyl yesterday and don't need the Bleep code, good luck!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Squarepusher &#8206;Damogen Furies Bleep MP3 Download Code -- MB-73993AEB7F751CEC - Taken by ExoSoul. 1 entrants total.

t1429395267z1.png

zkylon

zkylewd
Well there is one but it won't be usable for any big games for a long while. You can play Sonic CD on it though!
lol

yeah i might just cave at one point if it never comes

main character having a flower for an eye is just about the perfect kind of stupid that i love

OT giveaway for the music fans here :)
Got the vinyl yesterday and don't need the Bleep code, good luck!

i think i hurt my neck trying to read that

Khronico

Mortal Kombat X. I love them jump scares.

EDIT: Let me go back to Resonance of Fate.
resonanceoffategun_zps80d63ee2.jpg

I bought resonance of fate for like 10 bucks a month back on ps3...
I should really play it...

I played through AC4: Freedom Cry last night, it's a fantastic little piece of DLC. Highly recommend it for those of you who want to play AC but don't want all the content bloat.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I almost gave up on game collecting earlier. I had a statement prepared for Enco and everything (which probably sounds a bit dramatic, but, hey, I've been watching House of Cards).

I need a drink.

Sendou

I almost gave up on game collecting earlier. I had a statement prepared for Enco and everything (which probably sounds a bit dramatic, but, hey, I've been watching House of Cards).

I need a drink.

I wouldn't recommend that. Heard it from a good source that Valve is secretly planning on launching full account (+) that will restrict features from everyone that has under 5000 games on their account. Restricted features include but are not limited to being able to launch one unique game per day.

Vazra

I bought resonance of fate for like 10 bucks a month back on ps3...
I should really play it...

All the damage to be done with those random modifications.

Leanne: Machine Gun + Grenades
Zephyr: Machine Guns
Vashyron: Handguns

Obviously I would switch it up so they would level up evenly but that shit takes time since I dont got time to level every weapons style to 100 (Each character reach 300)

zkylon

zkylewd

I need a drink.

saoirse you don't need to panic!

i'm sure you've spent more than 5 usd on the store!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Oh, it wasn't for personal reasons (well, not precisely for personal reasons). But suffice it to say that as a student who actually forgot to sign up to classes, who stuffs crap into shelves 20-25 hours a week, I can't afford to pay Steam AU prices.

Volvo urgent crisis meeting going on.

That's the amusing thing, actually -- I went from thinking about how I'd spend a, well, fair amount on the Summer Sale to spending it on travel.

I've been playing with fire this long I'd rather not get burnt, but suffice it to say that, when it comes to lower prices, where there's a will, there's a way... only it seemed Valve had closed the latter entirely with the whole account region = store region thing. It's not a path I'd recommend anybody go down, though, least of which because of the trust in other persons it requires. I danced -- and will continue to dance -- the whole "Don't use VPNs!" routine because I didn't want to be indirectly responsible for people being made example of.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
My main concern is that a new customer who bought a mainstream game at retail is considered the same at this point to someone who just created an account with a bundle key. I think that could potentially be alienating for those new customers, and I think it's something Valve should look into.

I'm sympathetic, but I doubt this is a major use-case. PC Retail is dead in the west. Arkham Knight is not getting a wide retail release (although it appears to be getting a custom print-run for pre-orders in some areas). I've seen top ten NPD monthly PC retail figures, and they're ugly. I would suspect that even for Steamworks titles, the retail purchases are a vanishingly small and shrinking component of sales. And in markets where PC retail is big (Germany, Northern Europe), my sense is that mostly it's not been Steamworks titles. To me, Steamworks was a bridge for major publisher titles in North America and the UK from 2008-2012 or so. I suspect Valve could even discontinue Steamworks retail keys for future titles and few people would notice. That's not to say I necessarily disagree with Valve exempting certain classes of retail keys or whatever, I don't really have a strong opinion. I just suspect the actual proportion of new customers that are onboarding through retail, making use of community features, and unwilling/unable to buy anything online is vanishingly small.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom