• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, it wasn't for personal reasons (well, not precisely for personal reasons). But suffice it to say that as a student who actually forgot to sign up to classes, who stuffs crap into shelves 20-25 hours a week, I can't afford to pay Steam AU prices.

That's the amusing thing, actually -- I went from thinking about how I'd spend a, well, fair amount on the Summer Sale to spending it on travel.

I've been playing for fire this long I'd rather not get burnt, but suffice it to say that, when it comes to lower prices, where there's a will, there's a way... only it seemed Valve had closed the latter entirely with the whole account region = store region thing.
Ooh you should travel instead, that would be more fun than buying games youre not gonna play cause it doesnt have assassin's creed in the title :p

Oh, it wasn't for personal reasons (well, not precisely for personal reasons). But suffice it to say that as a student who actually forgot to sign up to classes, who stuffs crap into shelves 20-25 hours a week, I can't afford to pay Steam AU prices.

That's the amusing thing, actually -- I went from thinking about how I'd spend a, well, fair amount on the Summer Sale to spending it on travel.

I've been playing for fire this long I'd rather not get burnt, but suffice it to say that, when it comes to lower prices, where there's a will, there's a way... only it seemed Valve had closed the latter entirely with the whole account region = store region thing.

well FWIW I think 4.4k is an amazing milestone. That's a lot of games you've managed to collect, there is no harm in slowing down.

I'm pretty sure I was on the verge of tears after beating the Final Boss in Drakengard 3. I've never been able to progress far in the Rhythm Heaven games so it was a real challenge. Framerate was something else, entire levels at sub 15 FPS. Game will never come to PC, but it needs to although one imagines it would still have issues with the coding to ever run like that.

The gun diagrams for Resonance of Fate annoyed me because the customization wasn't actually reflected on the weapon. I wanted to see my pistol with 8 silencers!

titch

Jump in.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 12 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (titch, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Deep Dungeons Of Doom -- MB-7D6D9ECE89AE4EDB - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 6 entrants total.
Battlepaths -- MB-9F47FB97B789C362 - Taken by Sendou. 2 entrants total.
Nihilumbra -- MB-0D9F9E1E2E52E547 - Taken by S1n1st3r. 8 entrants total.
Muffin Knight -- MB-867A7530B26EB1D8 - Taken by texhnolyze. 2 entrants total.
Revenge of the Titans -- MB-68307DFD76B39B5D - Taken by TheMadMan007. 1 entrants total.
ibb & obb -- MB-91CE9AE203692F76 - Taken by thereisnoif. 1 entrants total.
Lilly Looking Through -- MB-BDA9DFEE84B5D433 - Taken by texhnolyze. 1 entrants total.
Battleplan: American Civil War -- MB-2451A72287537BB6 - Taken by drakaenae. 2 entrants total.
X-note -- MB-D8A9652B88BBBBC2 - Taken by Blu(e). 2 entrants total.
Solar Struggle -- MB-ACE01968AC32C86C - Taken by rainking187. 1 entrants total.
RADical ROACH Deluxe Edition -- MB-D9AF85B8FF1AB8BE - Taken by kurahador. 5 entrants total.
Space Salvager -- MB-618D93C92F6E6D0F - Taken by Purkake4. 2 entrants total.

t1429397427z1.png

Miguel81

Sunsets, Sunrises and Night time in GTA V is just beautiful. Mid day is not that good it depends on weather and location.

You mostly listening to the game tracks or your own tunes, or both? I'll be riding into the sunset with 80s/90s tunes on play, as usual.

Lomax

I'm sympathetic, but I doubt this is a major use-case. PC Retail is dead in the west. Arkham Knight is not getting a wide retail release (although it appears to be getting a custom print-run for pre-orders in some areas). I've seen top ten NPD monthly PC retail figures, and they're ugly. I would suspect that even for Steamworks titles, the retail purchases are a vanishingly small and shrinking component of sales. And in markets where PC retail is big (Germany, Northern Europe), my sense is that mostly it's not been Steamworks titles. To me, Steamworks was a bridge for major publisher titles in North America and the UK from 2008-2012 or so. I suspect Valve could even discontinue Steamworks retail keys for future titles and few people would notice. That's not to say I necessarily disagree with Valve exempting certain classes of retail keys or whatever, I don't really have a strong opinion. I just suspect the actual proportion of new customers that are onboarding through retail, making use of community features, and unwilling/unable to buy anything online is vanishingly small.

That's fair, and it may well be why they are willing to make this restriction now when they hadn't in the past. I guess I just still have a glimmering hope that somewhere down the line people will be buying Steam Machine game PCs at Walmart. Of course, I'm sure those machines will probably come with steam wallet codes to get you started or something anyway.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
well FWIW I think 4.4k is an amazing milestone. That's a lot of games you've managed to collect, there is no harm in slowing down.

Even if I did stop I'd probably force myself to leave it at 4567, haha. I'm counting down the posts until I hit 56789 on GAF!

Ooh you should travel instead, that would be more fun than buying games youre not gonna play cause it doesnt have assassin's creed in the title :p

I've said before that I'd like to attend TIFF one year and it's still something I'd like to do. Maybe not this year, but definitely in the not-too-distant future. Money permitting I'd like to spend a week or two in the US beforehand, doing, well, whatever.

dex3108

You mostly listening to the game tracks or your own tunes, or both? I'll be riding into the sunset with 80s/90s tunes on play, as usual.

I mix them. I like Space FM and few other stations and for now i put only Phil Collins on Self FM. He is good enough for sunsets :D

MUnited83

For you.
I've said before that I'd like to attend TIFF one year and it's still something I'd like to do. Maybe not this year, but definitely in the not-too-distant future. Money permitting I'd like to spend a week or two in the US beforehand, doing, well, whatever.
Traveling is absolutely one of the best things one can do. With couchsurfing and low cost flights is no even pricey to do so :)

zkylon

zkylewd
I've been playing with fire this long I'd rather not get burnt, but suffice it to say that, when it comes to lower prices, where there's a will, there's a way... only it seemed Valve had closed the latter entirely with the whole account region = store region thing. It's not a path I'd recommend anybody go down, though, least of which because of the trust in other persons it requires. I danced -- and will continue to dance -- the whole "Don't use VPNs!" routine because I didn't want to be indirectly responsible for people being made example of.
there's something kind of sad of hearing you giving up on your whole insanity thing but at the same time it's nice to know that you can like take a step back if you need to

you'll be ok, saoirse!

I'm pretty sure I was on the verge of tears after beating the Final Boss in Drakengard 3. I've never been able to progress far in the Rhythm Heaven games so it was a real challenge. Framerate was something else, entire levels at sub 15 FPS. Game will never come to PC, but it needs to although one imagines it would still have issues with the coding to ever run like that.

The gun diagrams for Resonance of Fate annoyed me because the customization wasn't actually reflected on the weapon. I wanted to see my pistol with 8 silencers!
is it like the crazy end boss in drakengard 1?

that one i ended up like doing like quicksave-pause-try-fail-reload for like two hours until i finally got it right lol

I only listen to the pop station so I can hear Cara Delevingne talk
is it like the crazy end boss in drakengard 1?

that one i ended up like doing like quicksave-pause-try-fail-reload for like two hours until i finally got it right lol
Yes but longer and harder because at times the screen actually goes black so you have to go purely by sound for long periods of time. There's also a troll moment where it throws out a last note like 10 seconds after the song ends. I think that was the angriest I've ever gotten at a game.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yes but longer and harder because at times the screen actually goes black so you have to go purely by sound for long periods of time. There's also a troll moment where it throws out a last note like 10 seconds after the song ends. I think that was the angriest I've ever gotten at a game.
lol wtf

i love how cavia tries so hard to torture their players

Only 35 hours in your first ever playthrough? Wow. Did you rush it?

Not my first ever, my first complete. Played on PS3 a few years ago. I knew exactly where to go up to the bow knights in Anor Londo, and by that point I had super awesome gear with high poise. That made every end game boss except Seath trivial just because they couldn't knock me down, so I really blazed through the ending. It also helped that all the end game areas are each about 10ft long.

I even spent lots of time doing the sidequests for Siegmeyer and Sieglinde, saving Solaire, going after Kalameet, the Painted World, weapon upgrades for the achievements, etc. Good length for a playthrough.

Asgaro

What do people think is the chance of GTA V getting discounted by 10% or more in the Summer Sale?

I think we won't see any discount but I hope I'm wrong. Maybe if the game gets out of the Top 10 Sellers list by the time the Summer Sale starts, I guess Rockstar would consider it...

(Can't bring myself to paying full price. Only 10% off would already do it for me though. It's the principle that counts for me: never buy a game full price.)

MUnited83

For you.
What do people think is the chance of GTA V getting discounted by 10% or more in the Summer Sale?

I think we won't see any discount but I hope I'm wrong. Maybe if the game gets out of the Top 10 Sellers list by the time the Summer Sale starts, I guess Rockstar would consider it...

(Can't bring myself to paying full price. Only 10% off would already do it for me though. It's the principle that counts for me: never buy a game full price.)
sounds like you should get a Vietname se copy then ;). (50$)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Oh, looks like the new Valve system actually makes it so that you do not need to contact support to get a region change, and confirms that you don't need to contact them when traveling. That's handy. So now purchasing will be entirely driven by having a local payment method, and the "verification" is on financial providers, not Valve.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Damn dude, forgetting to sign up for classes entirely? You should probably quit buying games if it's brought you to that kind of place.

JaseC

Oh, looks like the new Valve system actually makes it so that you do not need to contact support to get a region change, and confirms that you don't need to contact them when traveling. That's handy. So now purchasing will be entirely driven by having a local payment method, and the "verification" is on financial providers, not Valve.

Yeah, I was initially under the impression that the list was permanent and based upon recent purchase history, but that's only true of the first region change; afterwards, you're locked to your region of purchase unless you access your account page from another region and change it. Ironically this actually makes cross-region purchasing a little easier since your Wallet balance is automatically converted, but to reiterate, despite my own history I do not recommend anybody else attempt to game the system as it's technically against the SSA.

Damn dude, forgetting to sign up for classes entirely? You should probably quit buying games if it's brought you to that kind of place.

It was because of work, and actual work, not +1 work. ;) It's no great loss as I can work extra hours and put more pennies away. I mean, I'd rather be in class, but there is a bit of an upside.

JaseC

So where's the best place to get GTAV right now? Looks like Nuuvem is out of stock :/ Wanted to help a friend get a copy.

GMG + code (assuming there is one) if you don't want to wait; Nuuvem if you can keep your friend occupied.

Sendou

How hard does Astebreed get? Started on normal and already getting my ass kicked by chapter 4. I'm a complete shump newbie.

Kanokare

GMG + code (assuming there is one) if you don't want to wait; Nuuvem if you can keep your friend occupied.

Thanks! I see it for 48 with the 20 percent code. I'll let him know if he wants to wait on chance for Nuuvem's or get it now on GMG. Else, full price on Steam.

Arthea

That's good for you Jasec if you can leave collecting for good. I'm not being sarcastic or anything, collecting is an addictive thing. It's amazing that you could afford that while being a student too.
may the force be with you

still feels like an end of era (><)
who I will blame now for my bad purchasing habits?!

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Project Night -- MB-68998682D91D3478 - Taken by lukiluk. 2 entrants total.
Cahors Sunset -- MB-6C2415C62A7BFACE - Taken by xGreg. 2 entrants total.
Sorry in advance if any of these are taken
GunWorld -- MB-6AD3A7F885D3E800 - Taken by Loptous. 1 entrants total.

t1429391247z1.png

derExperte

Yeah, I was initially under the impression that the list was permanent and based upon recent purchase history, but that's only true of the first region change; afterwards, you're locked to your region of purchase unless you access your account page from another region and change it.

I think that's not 100% correct. You still can change to another region you have bought from recently but you need a payment method from that country.

FAQ:

Why is my country not shown?
Steam will attempt to show you your past and current locations.

Dr Dogg

I am too. :/

I just need to open up bank accounts next time I travel!

I only have one nationality, unless activating keys with regionlocks count.

I'm sure Valve will reward us right? -10% Good Steamer discount? Or maybe a commemorative hat.

*goes to steam, sees Jasec just bought 17 games*

I think we might have been slightly too fast with this, you and me (><)

The devil is in the detail dummy. 'I almost gave up...' with the emphasis on the almost might be a big hint :p

Arthea

I'm sure Valve will reward us right? -10% Good Steamer discount? Or maybe a commemorative hat.

how is that being a good steamer? That's being a sedentary steamer.
A good steamer is Jasec who doesn't discriminate regions and buy every game in every region ;)

The devil is in the detail dummy. 'I almost gave up...' with the emphasis on the almost might being a big hint :p

My mistake, from later posts I assumed he is giving it up
naive, I know

It was because of work, and actual work, not +1 work. ;) It's no great loss as I can work extra hours and put more pennies away. I mean, I'd rather be in class, but there is a bit of an upside.

I'm going to say this to you, brother to brother. It is never worth spending money on disposable entertainment if it's going to affect your personal achievements, education or finances. I've already spent way too much on games that I'll probably never play.

JaseC

I think that's not 100% correct. You still can change to another region you have bought from recently but you need a payment method from that country.

FAQ:

That I couldn't change back to RU is what had me believing my game collecting days had come to an end. At first:

wRX7tzb.png

But then:

nfiaccuhuvk.jpg

The top is what you see at first and is presumably that which the FAQ is -- and very poorly, I might add -- referring to.

I'm going to say this to you, brother to brother. It is never worth spending money on disposable entertainment if it's going to affect your personal achievements, education or finances. I've already spent way too much on games that I'll probably never play.

I have a savings account that my mum oversees. I've no idea how much is in there, since she doesn't let me touch it (for the most part), but for the past god-knows-how-long $100 has been deposited into it each week, with me doing my own contributions here and there.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of The_Super_Inframan, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Squarepusher &#8206;Damogen Furies Bleep MP3 Download Code -- MB-73993AEB7F751CEC - Taken by ExoSoul. 1 entrants total.

t1429395267z1.png

Dr Dogg

I'll take a special badge that I can put on my profile that no one ever looks at anyway.

how is that being a good steamer? That's being a sedentary steamer.
A good steamer is Jasec who doesn't discriminate regions and buy every game in every region ;)

My mistake, from later posts I assumed he is giving it up
naive, I know

I'll happily take that 10% discount. My dual nationality is useless on Steam. >_>

Knowing Valve anything as a way of a gift would be a copy of the Valve Complete Pack. Which by now I assume most people already own.

stock market in GTAV is kinda addictive

maybe I should invest irl

Yeah but you might struggle being able to manipulate it like you can in GTA vs real life.

inm8num2

It's been a few months since I played through F.E.A.R. and I'm thinking about playing one or both of the expansions before playing F.E.A.R. 2. Any strong recommendations one way or the other on Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate? Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom