• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

I saw that and was going to post in there that it's a shame AMD have been kicking their heels for nigh on 2 years getting new cards to the market and over 3 with a new architecture but then reading the 'passionate' responses I thought what's the point. It's not a GAF issue as it's much, much worse on some tech focused sites I kick around but the chances of having a civilised conversation about the state of the gaming GPU sector is a futile endeavour on the vast majority of the interwebs. AMD have made great strides in their drivers the last 6 months and have some great performance now for their line up of cards but they need something new to market and by new I mean new, new not rehashed new. But some folks will freakout that it's a 300w TDP monster that's too hot and too loud without looking at real world data regardless.

Has command and conquer red alert 3 aged well? Thinking of getting it in the next sale, but I see that it had an expansion pack as well?
I had no problem playing a game of C&C 3 the other night so I'd say that it probably does hold up well. Plus, Uprising has Ric Flair. Woooooooo!

dex3108

I saw that and was going to post in there that it's a shame AMD have been kicking their heels for nigh on 2 years getting new cards to the market and over 3 with a new architecture but then reading the 'passionate' responses I thought what's the point. It's not a GAF issue as it's much, much worse on some tech focused sites I kick around but the chances of having a civilised conversation about the state of the gaming GPU sector is a futile endeavour on the vast majority of the interwebs. AMD have made great strides in their drivers the last 6 months and have some great performance now for their line up of cards but they need something new to market and by new I mean new, new not rehashed new. But some folks will freakout that it's a 300w TDP monster that's too hot and too loud without looking at real world data regardless.

There is reason why AMD is in this situation. It took them years to end up in this situation. Biggest mistake they made is blowing their money from BC mining era on wrong things. And blowing money on CPU/APU since Bulldozer. Now they don't have enough money for R&D for GPU and CPU division to battle Intel and Nvidia. And they are only ones to blame for this situation. Monopoly is not good but without significant money injection AMD is in really bad situation.

Tizoc

holy shit ... the head transplant thread has just gone full-on tinfoil-hat-mode .... it's amazing :D

I still have no idea what the fuck is the deal here.
Also Kojima-worship is badonkers on GAF.

I haven't played it in years but can't see why it would suddenly become archaic. Multi might be dead due to GameSpy shutting down but co-op might still be possible via a VPN. The game will still have the whackiest FMV's around and the gameplay was some of the best in the C&C series. The expansion, Uprising I found a little meh but it's more of the same though it didn't have multi but that doesn't really matter now. They'll be 75% off come the Seal and for me definitely worth it if you like your RTS games a little crazy. Both campaigns in the initial title are about 8-10 hours each so easily get your moneys worth.

Speaking of Seal/The Seal/Steam Sales, I wonder if GAF's favourite gif of the moment, Seal turning round in awe on his chair for the NZ Voice, will get some use at some point during Seal time?

Thanks. I have a WEBM of that very person you speak of i'll post it later when i get home.

Dr Dogg

There is reason why AMD is in this situation. It took them years to end up in this situation. Biggest mistake they made is blowing their money from BC mining era on wrong things. And blowing money on CPU/APU since Bulldozer. Now they don't have enough money for R&D for GPU and CPU division to battle Intel and Nvidia. And they are only ones to blame for this situation. Monopoly is not good but without significant money injection AMD is in really bad situation.

Look at how many markets AMD operate in compared to their competitors. It's crazy as their resources are spread so thin and they're playing second fiddle or worse everywhere bar the console space. They need a massive refocus on what their core business is going to be and really tighten everything up. Look at companies that stay competitive and more over profitable in any sector, they run very tight product lines and if a part of their business in haemorrhaging money and marketshare either close it down or sell it off. AMD's goose may be cooked in some sectors as they focused their attention and money in areas and took their eye off the ball in others.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
It's really surprising to see how AMD is held nowadays. When I was getting into pc gaming and making pc's, it was AMD all the way.

I was eyeing a AMD290 pretty hard. For the price it delivers some insane performance. In the end I had to sway to a GTX970 though. It is my first desktop PC and I try to go as least possible-headache.

I do think AMD's driver issues are not that bad as some in that thread make it seem though. They did get a lot better on that front. It's just Nvidia has very good reputation software-wise. Couple that with how fast FLOP-value deteriorates with newer GPUs every season and it makes sense why so many prefer to pay a bit premium.

A big problem is the "name". I mean Nvidia has a lot of good media. But thinking about AMD I get a very bland image in my head.

They need to change a lot. It's a shame. I want AMD to be more successful.

Arthea

I'm not so sure Kojima worship is a gaf thing. I've seen plenty of it outside gaf.
Even I like Kojima trollmode, and I don't consider myself MGS fan.

as for AMD/NVIDIA situation, that's a sad thing, competition is good for us. If anything it keeps prices in check, more or less.

edited: beaten by Warren? What world has come to?

Salsa

im looking forward to Phantom Pain

I never played 4

I kinda know what happens in it? not even gonna read a summary before V. nanomachines

Salsa

fuck it im buying a 1TB WB blue next week or somethin

im not gonna stop playing GTA when the witcher 3 comes out and I dont wanna move it from SSD to a shitty 5400rpm drive

i'll keep this shitty drive for picture storage or whatevs. it sounds like an old lady dying

i'll probably wipe it and reinstall Steam too and just say fuck it to any game I didnt finish and had a local save

dex3108

I was eyeing a AMD290 pretty hard. For the price it delivers some insane performance. In the end I had to sway to a GTX970 though. It is my first desktop PC and I try to go as least possible-headache.

I do think AMD's driver issues are not that bad as some in that thread make it seem though. They did get a lot better on that front. It's just Nvidia has very good reputation software-wise. Couple that with how fast FLOP-value deteriorates with newer GPUs every season and it makes sense why so many prefer to pay a bit premium.

A big problem is the "name". I mean Nvidia has a lot of good media. But thinking about AMD I get a very bland image in my head.

They need to change a lot. It's a shame. I want AMD to be more successful.

Firs thing AMD needs to do is change their marketing approach. When i see this or this i really wonder who is behind these? Yeah they are somewhat funny but they look like two kids arguing who has stronger brother. And their answer for GTX 970 Fail was this

Anteater

Finished Strider, game is overall pretty fun, weapons all play identical but they have different properties to make switching them for different situation interesting, using the normal sword can deflect gunshots and then there are ones with stun/freezing, the kunais end up being pretty cool since you could use them to take out enemies that are out of your range really quick, rarely used the shield thing tho, I just turn it on whenever I could but it doesn't last long, the game controls are good and the game has a pretty fast pace to it, I think it's one of the faster sidescrollers out there so I really appreciate it.

Onto the negatives, I find the camera to be pretty shit at times, because it has to follow your character, say if you're doing aerial combat you can't really tell what's exactly is happening below you and bosses like to do those ground attacks that you have to avoid.

The upside down levels are also kind of crap.

The bosses are ok but I didn't think they're that fun, I generally dislike bosses that like to move off screen, then you have to avoid their attacks and wait for it to pop back up, run to it, and slash it/use special moves, rinse and repeat.

Traveling between maps is a chore with no fast travel especially for a "metroidvania" game that you need to backtrack to unlock rooms, it's one of the things I hate about these type of games "See that room that's right over there? Yeah, you need to back track all the way back here for the health upgrade later, lol", didn't bother picking up shit I missed.

Checkpoints not saving your game also suck, although I guess they don't want you to get stuck and allow you to restart from save point, not sure if it's necessary, but the entire last level has no save point as far as I know, so I was scared that the game would freeze half way through it and making me start over.

The last boss was also poop.

Also you should be putting checkpoints AFTER the cutscene, not before you assholes.

Clocked like 6hrs on it, well worth the 4 bucks.

sprinkles

Yes, I enjoyed the new Strider as well. Not as good as other recent Metroidvanias like Valdis Story or Ori and the Blind Forest, but the presentation was fine and the boss fights were fun (mostly).

zkylon

zkylewd

haha ok guilty....

ok fuck game names

all this "free weekend" time I thought Dungeon of the Endless was Legend of Dungeon

they even look fucking similar

now I realize Dungeon of the Endless is another thing and it looks great and I gotta go to bed so I won't have time to try it and decide if I should buy it
dungeon of the endless is pretty cool

you'll love it salsa

What if all this WAFF going on between zky-zky and Cheesy is just an elaborate ARG advertising the SteamGAF VN?
what's a waff haha

I forbid this international love man

I region-lock it
lol

you want to region lock it cos you're in the same region <3

I guess frosty is not coming back or he would have reacted to all the Strider talk... :(
yeah he told me a few days ago it prolly wasn't gonna happen

:<

#screenshotsaturday

ifOuHKcAuZK9u.gif

Brought a very old friend of mine on board who has been super eager to work on the character designs. We've got a lot of little things planned at the moment. Here's a little sneak peek...

ixt7cGEgBf81G.png

Looking great :)

derExperte

Just noticed that as I started Idlemaster. Adding another hour to the many already awaiting, yay first world problems.

I 'played' Three Fourths Home yesterday, one time through is less than an hour. It's really just clicking and holding one button, nothing too exciting but I liked how the story was told and the atmosphere. Also easy to 100% plus the music is amazing (make sure to turn on the tape deck). Not need to idle that imo.

So Raptr Overlay works with GTA V but Steam Overlay doesn't. I wonder why? Does Steam injects overlay in different way?

Yeah, it's kinda bugged for some people.
Before the 17th April patch, Steam overlay didn't work on my game at all. I thought it's just because the game doesn't support Steam overlay at all. But after that particular patch, I finally saw Steam overlay.

Yeah, it's kinda bugged for some people.
Before the 17th April patch, Steam overlay didn't work on my game at all. I thought it's just because the game doesn't support Steam overlay at all. But after that particular patch, I finally saw Steam overlay.
Mine works from day one, is it because I was using borderless window?

derExperte

And done with Titan Souls, every titan down, 5.1hrs which is more than I expected and you unlock harder modes. Though I feel I played really shitty most of the time, others had far less deaths. Imo it sometimes crosses the 'that's bullshit' border (
last phase of the last boss for example
) but it may have been me being dumb and in the end I can't be mad, the pixely visuals are high quality, music is lovely, controls are perfect. My main beef is probably that we don't learn a lot about the protagonist and the world he lives in. Same could be said about SOTC but that does a lot more storytelling with the environments. 7/10

Ozium

And done with Titan Souls, every titan down, 5.1hrs which is more than I expected and you unlock harder modes. Though I feel I played really shitty most of the time, others had far less deaths. Imo it sometimes crosses the 'that's bullshit' border (
last phase of the last boss for example
) but it may have been me being dumb and in the end I can't be mad, the pixely visuals are high quality, music is lovely, controls are perfect. My main beef is probably that we don't learn a lot about the protagonist and the world he lives in. Same could be said about SOTC but that does a lot more storytelling with the environments. 7/10

seems rather short will wait for 90 percent off sale or bundle

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Most engines will create individual textures for each piece of the level. If creating a texture for an office environment there will be individual files for desk, floor, phone, etc. In Id Tech 5, iD created the megatexture which encompasses all of those objects into a single file.

This is great from a macro perspective, among other advantages, but viewing things close up can leave something to be desired. This really only impacts PC, as you are close to your monitor and running games at higher resolutions.
It impacts TV viewing too at multiple viewing distances. Source: me with a 42 in Panasonic plasma hooked up to my PC and playing the entirety of Rage on it.

Ruruja

Seems like GTA V has cracked my top 5 already.

43 hours and counting after less than a week. What am I doing with my life? Still less than 40% done too.

Hooray for FM11! My most played too. Sadly mine will be knocked from the top spot by FF14 soon, end of an era. :(

t5.jpg

Jawmuncher

Seems like GTA V has cracked my top 5 already.

43 hours and counting after less than a week. What am I doing with my life? Still less than 40% done too.

Going to start GTAV fully today. Finally worked out the settings I wanted. Curious to see how long it takes since even GTAV just for the story was fairly long.

Anteater

speaking of gta 5, kind of weird there isn't a digital foundry article on the pc ver

edit: oh nvm there is, lol, didn't show up on the page when I checked for some reason.

guess they're still working on an article for console/pc comparison

I'm not so sure Kojima worship is a gaf thing. I've seen plenty of it outside gaf.
Even I like Kojima trollmode, and I don't consider myself MGS fan.

as for AMD/NVIDIA situation, that's a sad thing, competition is good for us. If anything it keeps prices in check, more or less.

edited: beaten by Warren? What world has come to?
I have enough money for a GPU upgrade, but I don't know if I would jump to team red even though 300 series might be amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom