• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagemusha

Gog.com is nice and all, love DRM free, but I don't see anyone bothering to pre-order with them more than once.

1) Developers can't upload patches on their own. Patches are usually two days or even weeks late.
2) No pre-load
3) Did you miss a patch that was only available for a day? You have to Re-download the entire game because old patches aren't available.

The Galaxy client is still in closed alpha, and the only thing it did for me was re-download 700 installers, unbundled everything and dumped 1,000 shortcuts on my desktop. It's getting better, but Gog is a few years behind where they need to be if they want to distribute new games.

Man, the Elder Scrolls Online has an insane amount of content if you're one of those people that must do absolutely everything in the game:

I've played for 6 hours on Steam, and probably about 25 hours not-on-Steam (during the free weekend) So about 30 hours in, my character is level 15 and I've unlocked like.... 0.1% of the in-game achievements.

In reality I've cleared a few of the small starter levels and probably about 85% of the content that's in the Stonefalls which is kinda like the first "big" area. For reference, this is the area I'm talking about as compared to the rest of the in-game map that's available so far:

There are also a crazy number of skill trees for things like crafting, factions, weapon types, race, class, and more.

It felt really weird paying $60 for a game on Steam, but I think I'll get my money's worth out of this one.

Your post has sealed the deal for me. I'd long been curious about this game, but I didn't know if my computer could run it, or at least, I didn't know if I could stand it not looking as beautiful as it could. I'd been hanging out for the console version, but the delay dampened my expectations and I forgot about it. Since the B2P announcement, I've been keen again. Honestly pretty excited. I'll probably be alternating between Batman: Arkham Knight, Elder Scrolls Online and the Witcher 3 though, given I'll be on placement through June.

chronomac

A couple more from Humble. We get new BTA games today.
ModBot said:
Instructions for chronomac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (chronomac, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Dead Space 2 -- MB-E21454E675120F36 - Taken by bluechox2. 7 entrants total.
Bejeweled 3 -- MB-92CD3D2154B84DDA - Taken by Mengy. 2 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Dragon Age: Origins -- MB-87189C4F8CD59912 - Taken by Zeeman. 5 entrants total.

t1429632805z1.png

Man reading jshackles' posts about TESO makes me want to buy it too. I was always peripherally interested in it and I did find some things to like in the beta, but the subscription fee was the deal breaker. And now it's back up to $60 which is difficult to justify when there are so many great games releasing these days.

Also really wish KF2 had a 2 pack. Kind of met one of my oldest friends on Steam through Killing Floor and I was hoping to buy us both a copy today, even though he doesn't really play a whole lot anymore.

It'd be nice to be able to just read in general on trips. Music doesn't do too well for me long term and I just end up staring out the window looking for animals.

you could take dramamine and instead of staring out the window you could read or game, just with a slight feeling of drunkeness to go with it.

Man reading jshackles' posts about TESO makes me want to buy it too. I was always peripherally interested in it and I did find some things to like in the beta, but the subscription fee was the deal breaker. And now it's back up to $60 which is difficult to justify when there are so many great games releasing these days.

Also really wish KF2 had a 2 pack. Kind of met one of my oldest friends on Steam through Killing Floor and I was hoping to buy us both a copy today, even though he doesn't really play a whole lot anymore.

Out of curiousity, what did you appreciate about the beta? I know the game has changed a lot since then, but impressions are always interesting.

Shadownet

Banned
-
ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Shadownet, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

The Novelist -- MB-6BCABD4E08723505 - Taken by Blu(e)
Eldritch -- MB-7C2D08096F58A46A - Taken by Spirited
Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack -- MB-D5B086A36ECE000D - Taken by ebongrey23

I may have missed it, but did we really get through 4/20 (sorry, 20/4) without anyone posting the Stump gif?

With Modbot acting up and everything?

Out of curiousity, what did you appreciate about the beta? I know the game has changed a lot since then, but impressions are always interesting.

Well for starters, it actually ran pretty well, which seemed like a minor miracle for Hero engine MMOs. You start off the game in a tutorial cave/dungeon but after a while you go out into the open world and that looked really beautiful. It had some fantastic art in the few areas I visited. It kind of felt like a game world that I would actually like to explore, which is one of the biggest draws of the Elder Scrolls series for me.

On the whole, I had a fairly negative impression of the game (like most others). The standard theme park quests and a bunch of other bad design choices or flaws put me off. But credit where it's due... I did, and still do, want to check out the game world they built.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Your post has sealed the deal for me. I'd long been curious about this game, but I didn't know if my computer could run it, or at least, I didn't know if I could stand it not looking as beautiful as it could. I'd been hanging out for the console version, but the delay dampened my expectations and I forgot about it. Since the B2P announcement, I've been keen again. Honestly pretty excited. I'll probably be alternating between Batman: Arkham Knight, Elder Scrolls Online and the Witcher 3 though, given I'll be on placement through June.

Performance wise, the game runs great on my aging hardware (FX-8120, Radeon HD 7850) and I pretty consistently get 100FPS that will occasionally dip down as low as 50FPS when there are a lot of other players or monsters on the screen. And this is with the highest detail level at 1080P. So it's very playable. The game also looks gorgeous and I'm really loving all of the different architecture styles and lighting effects.

Anyway, I'll try not to hype the game so much because I know it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. I'm just sharing my impressions and I'm genuinely excited to continue playing it, because without the monthly fee this really is "the next Elder Scrolls game".

Performance wise, the game runs great on my aging hardware (FX-8120, Radeon HD 7850) and I pretty consistently get 100FPS that will occasionally dip down as low as 50FPS when there are a lot of other players or monsters on the screen. And this is with the highest detail level at 1080P. So it's very playable. The game also looks gorgeous and I'm really loving all of the different architecture styles and lighting effects.

Anyway, I'll try not to hype the game so much because I know it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. I'm just sharing my impressions and I'm genuinely excited to continue playing it, because without the monthly fee this really is "the next Elder Scrolls game".

You're failing miserably at that :p

Especially considering your first paragraph basically mirrors everything I liked about the game and posted above.

r3n4ud

Good lord man, stop! I was about to pull the trigger yesterday but desperately trying to hold off until the summer sell. Really need to clear some of the newer games that came out recently first.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of MakeshiftChef, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (MakeshiftChef, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Fight the Dragon -- MB-70E0508D4CAF38CE - Taken by topyy. 16 entrants total.

t1429628050z1.png

Well for starters, it actually ran pretty well, which seemed like a minor miracle for Hero engine MMOs. You start off the game in a tutorial cave/dungeon but after a while you go out into the open world and that looked really beautiful. It had some fantastic art in the few areas I visited. It kind of felt like a game world that I would actually like to explore, which is one of the biggest draws of the Elder Scrolls series for me.

On the whole, I had a fairly negative impression of the game (like most others). The standard theme park quests and a bunch of other bad design choices or flaws put me off. But credit where it's due... I did, and still do, want to check out the game world they built.

Thank-you. I think that the selling point for me, the world and the lore, so it's good to hear that was something that stood out even in the beginning. I'm excited to see how far it has come.

dex3108

Today i have found out this awesome Screenshot tool called ShareX. Not only it is powerful screenshot maker but you can record gameplay, automaticly make GIFs, upload screens after taking them to service you want, create custom tasks and much more.

This is what I want to hear. The draw of the lore and the expansive world is what sells Elder Scrolls to me. I was completely taken with Skyrim and the depth of the content sounds completely satisfying. I am typically slow to progress, mostly because I'm time poor due to uni and work commitments. The fact that I can now enjoy it without subscription fees just adds so much to the value of the game. I won't feel so much pressure to rush through content to make the most of my money and the subscription time.

Disclaimer: Key from the duplicate bug on Nuuvem. Might already be used or revoked by Paradox in the future, so play it as soon as possible.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (PandaPedinte, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:

t1cxE6r.gif
Pillars of Eternity -- MB-90C28424DC4EF407 - Taken by Kirosia. 39 entrants total.
Disclaimer: Key from the duplicate bug on Nuuvem. Might already be used or revoked by Paradox in the future, so play it as soon as possible.

t1429636115z1.png

Woah. There's something off here. Your stamina is enough to block but shouldn't your poise deplete after a couple of those heavy strikes? Even with greatshield and stamina.
coming soon(ish)

This looks cool.
Pfffffff. What are you, an amateur?

Here, let me show how it's done!
That is mighty nice of you! Hats off, sir.

And they even get a Witcher 3 code. Oh, the injustice.
I feel you -_-'
It costs 354,28€ (378.98$) here in Europe compared to the 294.46€ (314,99$) in US.

That's 59,82€ or 63,99$ difference!

IzJt9fd.gif

Today i have found out this awesome Screenshot tool called ShareX. Not only it is powerful screenshot maker but you can record gameplay, automaticly make GIFs, upload screens after taking them to service you want, create custom tasks and much more.
It really is! Such a useful and great program.

I never could manage to capture video or gif though. Is it difficult?

Dsyndrome

Well importing the best version of Steins;Gate now. RIP Steam version.
Wasn't there something where the developers or the publisher said they'd never go STEAM or something like that?

I've got it on PC and only went a couple of hours into it,
enough that TUTURU!!! was going through my head for a week,
but saw a shiny object or something. I plan to get the Vita retail when it comes out, as I tend to finish VN's there the most.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Wasn't there something where the developers or the publisher said they'd never go STEAM or something like that?

I've got it on PC and only went a couple of hours into it,
enough that TUTURU!!! was going through my head for a week,
but saw a shiny object or something. I plan to get the Vita retail when it comes out, as I tend to finish VN's there the most.

The people who released the US PC version said it wasn't part of their contract so it's not possible till that contract is expired. :p

Tizoc

Gog.com is nice and all, love DRM free, but I don't see anyone bothering to pre-order with them more than once.

1) Developers can't upload patches on their own. Patches are usually two days or even weeks late.
2) No pre-load
3) Did you miss a patch that was only available for a day? You have to Re-download the entire game because old patches aren't available.

The Galaxy client is still in closed alpha, and the only thing it did for me was re-download 700 installers, unbundled everything and dumped 1,000 shortcuts on my desktop. It's getting better, but Gog is a few years behind where they need to be if they want to distribute new games.

Pre-order or no, it's the DRM-free aspect that attracts people. I do agree that manual patch updating is a pain and Galaxy is far from being complete etc., but some games are already fully patched to their latest ver. or are in a state that they are ready for playing.

there is waiting, and there is waiting for years to no end.

Well this is the former then in this case.
Besides I'm still waiting for METAL WOLF CHAOS HD, and I shall wait til the end of tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime if I must~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom