• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsnip

Gosh darnit. Ever since trying out another video codec pack, I can't get Steam broadcasts to work :/

I uninstalled the new codecs and went to my old CCCP which worked fine but no luck.

I am always stuck here. No matter whether friends broadcasts or other people.

Halp. I don't know what else to do.

Who even uses codec packs these days. MPC-HC comes with lav filters, that's all any sane person needs.

zkylon

zkylewd
i don't know the specifics to the lis thing but i can't imagine it being impossible to give the article a very ambiguous name and a random lis image and not spoil anything

i dunno who the writer is but i imagine if it's someone worth reading most people will see "i wanna talk about lis story by ben kuchera" or whatever and just figure out from there if they want to see what spoilers are in the article

i guess it's not as intriguing as something more specific but you know, you have to take some care about things that released a short while ago

I would love to you rub you down enthusiastically, if that's what you're asking.
i'm sure you would but i'm fine thanks :>

Who even uses codec packs these days. MPC-HC comes with lav filters, that's all any sane person needs.
yeah

it's magic

I clicked and I really don't see how they could possibly wrote the feature they wanted to write and not "spoil" Life is Strange episode 2.

If they kept the image and removed the title, they'd alienate readers who are interested in the subject matter of the article (which is more a personal reflection about an event in the game and how it parallels a similar event in the author's life) at the expense of reducing spoiler concerns. If they kept the title and removed the image, they'd alienate readers who are interested in the game but wouldn't necessarily pick it up from the title. A spoiler warning would itself spoil the thing being warned. Like, you can't have an article called "Games where the main character dies in the story. Spoiler: Spoilers for Super Mario Bros 4", because the spoiler warning is the spoiler.

So I'm sort of left with the impression that either no one should write articles that jump off plot events in games but contain a broader reflection on theme and meaning... which I think would make games writing poorer... or people need to accept that occasionally jump-off points for discussions are going to involve pop-culture events, and thus involve "spoiling" things.

And it's not even like you can say "she could have written this article a year from now", because the whole point is that it's emotional, personal writing. Of course she's going to write it when the feelings are fresh, that's what breathes life into the writing itself.

I guess one solution could be a multi-site master list of everything you've ever seen in pop-culture, and then depending on the site you go to, content would automagically be selectively censored by replacing specific references with more general ones depending on what you've seen. I think that's an awful overwhelming amount of technology to solve a problem that isn't really much of a problem at all.

I'm not being a jerk, you can tell from this post that I'm going out of my way to tiptoe around the actual spoiler. I'm just saying that I can't see a solution here that makes sense, so I guess I sort of don't see why people shouldn't simply "deal with it". Not in a condescending, jerk, lol deal with it nublet kind of way, but just in the sense that if the best option is not changing things, then this is going to keep happening and people should sort of adjust their reactions to reflect that.

Yeah, I should be clear: I'm sure the piece itself is well done. I tend to like personal writing about games, and will likely revisit the article once I play the episode. I also agree that people can be too touchy about spoiler culture, but I just think this article could have had another image from the game that wouldn't have the specifics tied to it. It's just the fact that the headline and image are the spoiler, and are presented front and center on the site, before any warning can be given that kind of irks me.

But it's on me for not getting the season pass yet, I guess.

*unfriended*
Haha.

The first one was fun. Nothing groundbreaking but casual fun.
I mean, I am more intrigued by the darker tone of Batman, Watchmen. They left a much longer lasting impression while almost all Marvel movies were good, great even but totally forgettable entertainment.

There's nothing wrong with that on itself and I'm looking forward to Ultron. But there were so, so many Marvel movies in that vein lately. Iron Man 1-3, Thor 1+2, Captain America 1+2, Avengers. They should change up some things. It got a bit stale. Fun but stale.
I'm an old guy doing old things.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
New Starbound update adds pets and teleporters

pig.gif

Galdere

Neo Member
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Beta: This giveaway is a trivia giveaway. In your PM, include BOTH the ModBot code for the game you want AND the answer to the trivia question on the same line separated by a space. Capitalization and punctuation are not important. Here is a visual example of how to format your ModBot PM
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Galdere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

The Maker's Eden -- MB-A2E7E3B12AA6057B - Taken by Twentieth Trivia Question: Which strategy game on Steam concentrates on dealing with the consequences of climate change?
Dustforce -- MB-8CA89336E7067204 - Taken by anastef Trivia Question: Which strategy game on Steam concentrates on dealing with the consequences of climate change?
Capsized -- MB-FA92CD6746A3D680 - Taken by thereisnoif Trivia Question: Which strategy game on Steam concentrates on dealing with the consequences of climate change?
Neocolonialism -- MB-38F77928DD7B2993 - Taken by S1n1st3r Trivia Question: Which strategy game on Steam concentrates on dealing with the consequences of climate change?
t1cxE6r.gif
Dragon Age: Origins -- MB-BD2F829B1949D0AA - Taken by TheLight Trivia Question: Which strategy game on Steam concentrates on dealing with the consequences of climate change?

Locust

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of BernardoOne, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (BernardoOne, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Pillars of Eternity -- MB-9E81FC7EC92F7620 - Taken by The Dear Leader. 63 entrants total.
Pillars of Eternity #5 -- MB-379387C5D3AF9823 - Taken by Khronico. 58 entrants total.
Pillars of Eternity #4 -- MB-D4C528F87BA2FE3D - Taken by Teppic. 65 entrants total.
Pillars of Eternity #7 -- MB-FBDDBC6C23CA38AA - Taken by fspm. 58 entrants total.
Pillars of Eternity #6 -- MB-B4CC7B8C6DDE92B8 - Taken by Backlogger. 64 entrants total.
Pillars of Eternity #3 -- MB-115A83AF23B50CF0 - Taken by Cyberquake. 61 entrants total.

Pillars of Eternity #2 -- MB-3FF8D5656F0B9E65 - Taken by ExoSoul. 62 entrants total.
Pillars of Eternity #8 -- MB-E72FF094652EF7C7 - Taken by trailmix16. 62 entrants total.

t1429674984z1.png

I wouldn't take my comments about being a good single-player MMO as evidence that nobody is teaming up. The game itself scales it's difficulty (think Oblivion) in "group" dungeons based on the number of people in your group. And just like Oblivion, the higher the scale the higher the reward as well. So it's very possible (and seemingly popular) to get a fairly large group or guild put together to do a dungeon raid, even early in the game, so that everyone gets good treasure and rewards in XP and such. I appreciate that though because I tend to be fairly anti-social when it comes to multiplayer gaming, so I may not be getting the best rewards, but I can still complete the group dungeons on my own if I want to.

The server is set up in such a way that absolutely everyone is in the same instance (world). The only private instances in the game are group dungeons like I described above. There isn't really a problem of competing for mobs, because the boss mobs spawn at certain points in your quest line - if one is already spawned you simply jump in and join the fight. If one isn't already spawned, it spawns. Everyone gets their own loot from these bosses so it's generally not an issue and it encourages really organic makeshift teamwork which I think is fantastic.

As for resource harvest points - this is something that the latest version of ESO improves upon GREATLY from the early beta. So now, everyone has their own dedicated stuff scattered throughout the world. Think of something like Skyrim - you go to steal a cool looking sword from the shop at night after they've closed. You can do that now in ESO also. You pick up the sword, and it's in your inventory and you can do whatever with it. But if your buddy comes in behind you, he's got his own copy of that sword that he can also steal, so you taking it doesn't really affect anyone else. The only difference here is that this "sword" you just picked up is like a random sword with random abilities that may or may not actually look anything like the one you picked up (unlike Skyrim). So two people can pick up the same weapon in a cave for example and it can be a different weapon (which, to a large extent, also seems to be based on your character's level). It's actually a really good system. For contrast, the beta had treasure boxes that could be looted and would take (I think) about 15 minutes to re-fill with random treasure, meaning it was super rare to find a non-raided treasure box. Also in the beta, nothing in the world could be picked up which was pretty jarring considering that's been a bit of a staple aspect in the Elder Scrolls series.

Anyway if you have any other questions I'll happily answer them to the best of my ability. Someone else with more experience than me might be able to give a bit more insight into the end-game content that I probably won't be able to get to for a few more months.

Everyone being in the same world instance, unless you do dungeons (or raids I guess) sounds super, super appealing. I only recently tried WoW out with Warlords of Draenor, and one thing I've done is chase RL friends across servers, most of whom have un-subbed at this point. So I've got characters scattered across 4 different servers and I'm only playing on one. So much scattered progress. There being no content bottle necks also sounds super appealing, especially being able to jump in and fight mobs without partying up first. You can do that in later parts of WoW but not early on in the vanilla and Burning Crusade content. I think once my WoW sub runs out I'll probably give the Elderscrolls online a shot IF I can become a member of the Dark Brotherhood. That's always the best part of an Elderscrolls.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Everyone being in the same world instance, unless you do dungeons (or raids I guess) sounds super, super appealing. I only recently tried WoW out with Warlords of Draenor, and one thing I've done is chase RL friends across servers, most of whom have un-subbed at this point. So I've got characters scattered across 4 different servers and I'm only playing on one. So much scattered progress. There being no content bottle necks also sounds super appealing, especially being able to jump in and fight mobs without partying up first. You can do that in later parts of WoW but not early on in the vanilla and Burning Crusade content. I think once my WoW sub runs out I'll probably give the Elderscrolls online a shot IF I can become a member of the Dark Brotherhood. That's always the best part of an Elderscrolls.

Well, unfortunately they haven't added in the Dark Brotherhood yet :(

I was also pretty disappointed.

MUnited83

For you.
And once again, this is why we can't have nice things.

Abuse mistakes if it is Ubisoft or some other crap designed to exploit the simple of mind. But surely we can draw a line at somebody who makes a great game?

I received the keys on my Nuuvem accounts that I had purchased the game on previously. Can't really say that's abuse, and might as well give them to people who will enjoy the game even if there's chances that it's for a short while. And if the keys keep being valid, then Nuuvem is the one eating the loss anyways.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Tizoc, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away an item. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tizoc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

PGP3OVL.png
Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim GOG Key -- MB-04845322D4DE451F - Taken by Intel. 28 entrants total.

t1429717765z1.png

Dsyndrome

Just beat Blackwell Epiphany, sad
and happy?
end to the series, I guess. Thoroughly enjoyed all of them. Did Wadjet say if they're making any more of these?

Just beat Blackwell Epiphany, sad
and happy?
end to the series, I guess. Thoroughly enjoyed all of them. Did Wadjet say if they're making any more of these?

More Blackwell games? I doubt it. The game reached a satisfying conclusion, something few game series can say. Their website even calls Epiphany "the last game in the Blackwell series."

I'm not even sure if they're going to develop any more games at all or just focus on publishing.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I'm really regretting not sending a fake "You win Pillars of Eternity!" PM to Dear Leader now that he's actually won it.

I hope his key works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom