• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find Total Biscuit's decision not to cover the game very rational. He goes out of his way to maintain his objectivity and if he realizes that he can not, it's better to not do it, because he really doesn't enjoy the genre. I don't like romance movies so I would be a very bad reviewer of Romance Movies. The dev is pretty stupid reacting that way, since I do not see the attack at him or his game. TB didn't say "this game is bad" he kind of said "I don't like even the best of these genre" which is fair.

TB's videos get hundreds of thousands of views, and I am sure he is getting demand for this specific review. By not publishing his review, he is losing serious ad money on that.

The article that described this situation is really sad too. Paraphrasing, they something along the lines of "If we were all objective, maybe you would not have reviews in the first place".

I wonder if we really do care about game journalists and their reviews after they get tired of being "objective" in order to pump out content. Maybe we don't need more reviews, but better ones for sure.

zkylon

zkylewd
Say what you want about Total B, at least he's not this guy:
tumblr_nc46mhXJwI1rfvv0oo1_540.png

i mean he may have undeserved amounts of money but at least what he does doesn't end up hurting anyone that i know of

Hahaha the irony if you asked the thread 'What do you think of PewDiePie?' would probably evoke a negative reaction but when offered a choice between the lesser of 2 'evils' dude comes up smelling of roses.
i mean, yeah

i don't really understand why people hate so much on pewdiepie unless it's just envy which i can appreciate even if i don't agree

he probably has pretty shitty deals with publishers to promote their shit which doesn't sound too cool for me but i never really payed attention to him to have like an informed opinion on that

but when put into perspective of gamergater vs non-gamergater then it's a pretty choice

I find Total Biscuit's decision not to cover the game very rational. He goes out of his way to maintain his objectivity and if he realizes that he can not, it's better to not do it, because he really doesn't enjoy the genre. I don't like romance movies so I would be a very bad reviewer of Romance Movies. The dev is pretty stupid reacting that way, since I do not see the attack at him or his game. TB didn't say "this game is bad" he kind of said "I don't like even the best of these genre" which is fair.

TB's videos get hundreds of thousands of views, and I am sure he is getting demand for this specific review. By not publishing his review, he is losing serious ad money on that.

The article that described this situation is really sad too. Paraphrasing, they something along the lines of "If we were all objective, maybe you would not have reviews in the first place".

I wonder if we really do care about game journalists and their reviews after they get tired of being "objective" in order to pump out content. Maybe we don't need more reviews, but better ones for sure.
i very much enjoy reviews better when i know i'm reading the reviewer's opinion rather than some sort of generic appraisal that doesn't really work for videogames or anything that has room for subjective interpretation in anyway

I like TB :-/
I think it's a matter of separating his persona and himself.
For example: i love his podcast and his Heartstone Gimmick videos, but i think he's absurdly full of himself; has one of the most toxic fanbases ever, and the way he supports the voldemort group(or at all, as a matter of fact), or at least puts himself as a mediator is disgusting.

i very much enjoy reviews better when i know i'm reading the reviewer's opinion rather than some sort of generic appraisal that doesn't really work for videogames or anything that has room for subjective interpretation in anyway

TB pretty much discloses when something is subjective, like when critiquing art direction, and when something is objective, like performance. I don't agree with some of his subjective points of view, but I find his reviews incredibly useful.

For example, he loves DOTA while I hate PvP MOBAs. He recently did a pretty fair review Bloodsports TV, which is a PVE MOBA and focus on objective things like strategy depth in the number of characters and specializations, bang per buck, time to finish, difficulty, variety amongst others. Those aspects can be quantified and evaluated and I appreciate his effort on doing that, since my money is not infinite.

I didn't take into account his subjective points of view though, and I wouldn't like a purely subjective review from him anyway.

I drank some milk today. I would also like 200,000 thumbs up on Facebook.
Never going to happen, LOL

I also had to do some job agency assessment tests today. Been killing it, so I'm happy and looking forward to job opportunities coming soon. Get more money for a better rig and more Steam games, LOL!

I appreciate that TB is a very rational person, which can and does come as being "full of himself" which I personally don't care about.

I also am a little bit skeptical of his involvement in Gamer Gate, which I don't think has any bearing on why he is or isn't reviewing Titan Souls.

EDIT: Instead of skeptical, I wanted to write disappointed. Although I believe he sides with the pro-consumer part of the "agenda" but haven't had the time or energy to delve into that subject yet.

EDIT: Dogg's right twice. About this thing, and about how unappealing Michael tends to be. The cosmetic changes just felt like minor drab tweaks.

Dr Dogg

Hoookay since the topic that shall not be named has been brought up let's see if I can try and change the subject (you know because when it get's mentioned even in its designated thread people start to go missing ie. banned).

No matter how you dress of style Michael he always looks bland. Where as Trevor, unstable as he is, has some preeety out their fashion choices. Plusseeing as you generally keep your wacky clothing combos when off or inbetween missions, when a character you haven't played as for a while shows up in a cutscene out of place I can't help but chuckle.

Shadownet

Banned
Hoookay since the topic that shall not be named has been brought up let's see if I can try and change the subject (you know because when it get's mentioned even in its designated thread people start to go missing ie. banned).

No matter how you dress of style Michael he always looks bland. Where as Trevor, unstable as he is, has some preeety out their fashion choices. Plusseeing as you generally keep your wacky clothing combos when off or inbetween missions, when a character you haven't played as for a while shows up in a cutscene out of place I can't help but chuckle.
Michael is a middle age dad. This is about as good as he'll look for now on.

Dr Dogg

Michael is a middle age dad. This is about as good as he'll look for now on.

Might be the fact that Michael's only other form of dress is mainly polo shirts and jeans which is what I always bloody end up wearing myself that it feels a bit samey. Saying that I'm at the point now where I can dress the three leads up all in suits fitting to their own unique tastes so it's kind of like acting out a slightly off kilter Michael Mann film.

Might be the fact that Michael's only other form of dress is mainly polo shirts and jeans which is what I always bloody end up wearing myself that it feels a bit samey. Saying that I'm at the point now where I can dress the three leads up all in suits fitting to their own unique tastes so it's kind of like acting out a slightly off kilter Michael Mann film.
well, some guys in the screenshots thread are able to give michael some different looks, at least... And hell, if you want, you can make him look like walter white.

derExperte

I don't see full beards on those two so you've been playing it wrong to begin with.

No, this would be like you announcing that you don't like Romance movies. Then, the director of some popular string of those that I don't know the name of says in a manner, "I don't like you." In response to that, you announce that you won't review Romance movies.

A quite different scenario. Much more reactionary and emotional. You know, 2 things in glaring contrast with the notion of objectivity

I see, but correct if I am wrong:

1. TB says that TS is not for him, but he has reviewed games that were not for him before, as the example that I gave with Bloodsports TV. He is not saying that he will not cover it YET.
2. TS Dev responds in a snarky way.
3. TB now feels that he has a little too much skin in the game to review it properly so he decants. Whatever his opinion is, it might be put in the light of "His thinks the game is BAD because he hates the dev" or "He thinks that the game is good because he overcompensating his issue with the dev"
4. Kotaku publishes the event, with a whole lot of editorial, understandable from past differences.

TO ME, Kotaku's reaction ed inserts in the actual reporting is the worst of all. I understand the emotional reaction from the Dev. He has worked very hard in this game and it must difficult to see other people blast it for real, imaginary or even personal reasons. Just a simple "Thanks for giving our game a chance" would have been a much better answer IMO

But maybe he can send some strongly worded e-mails and get this guy fired like he did for Shawn Elliott?

I think TB has come a long way since that incident. He has acknowledge and apologized for this incident before. I also fail to see what this has to do with TS's

Zafir

I think it's a matter of separating his persona and himself.
For example: i love his podcast and his Heartstone Gimmick videos, but i think he's absurdly full of himself; has one of the most toxic fanbases ever, and the way he supports the voldemort group(or at all, as a matter of fact), or at least puts himself as a mediator is disgusting.

Pretty much my thoughts. I don't hate his content, but I just can't tolerate him as a person.

Michaels dress sense may be bland, but personality and story wise I'd argue Franklin still takes the cake as the most dull character.

(Note: I never got further than about 1/2 or 2/3, maybe he becomes more interesting later, I dunno...)

Dr Dogg

well, some guys in the screenshots thread are able to give michael some different looks, at least... And hell, if you want, you can make him look like walter white.

Oh I've bought loads of clobber for Michael and that outfit got swapped to him at the start of that mission but everything to me feels a little too catalog shopping chic.

I don't see full beards on those two so you've been playing it wrong to begin with.

Eh they're a bit rough compared to last gens implementation. One thing I didn't notice until someone pointed it out was when you get in a car Michael's hair gets a lot shorter.

Parsnip

I played some Super Dark Souls 2 today.
Made my way to Dragon Aerie.

PewDiePie sharing that he was drinking milk is pretty funny and harmless. The comments aren't great but I have no reason to blame him for that.
I'm not sure why it's funny, but it's certainly harmless.

Dr Dogg

Michaels dress sense may be bland, but personality and story wise I'd argue Franklin still takes the cake as the most dull character.

(Note: I never got further than about 1/2 or 2/3, maybe he becomes more interesting later, I dunno...)

While the interplay between characters is great they all play up to typical archetypes we've seen and read for years. Franklin does get a bit better in the third act, especial his interactions with Michael. I'm sure players all tend to gravitate to one of the leads based on their personality they identify with the most.

I have a beard, am I allowed in this thread?

Of course!

Phawx

TB doesn't need defending. Additionally TB being popular isn't going to be regressive.

I think the main problem I've seen from the whole hashtag nonsense is this crazy false dichotomy that is so amazingly superficial that everyone is just kind of clamouring to point at any academic observation as fact.

Oh I've bought loads of clobber for Michael and that outfit got swapped to him at the start of that mission but everything to me feels a little too catalog shopping chic.
Oh, i see what you mean. I get a similar feeling with franklin. The game always auto loads the clothes i don't like :(

KarmaCow

Not A Hero seems pretty cool from the demo. The cover system is kinda sticky but it still has that fluid Hotline Miami or arcadey aspect of getting into a groove, figuring out how to keep up the momentum in a puzzle-y sort of way.

Now I got to decide between KF2, Not A Hero, or Axiom Verge though.

derExperte

Now I got to decide between KF2, Not A Hero, or Axiom Verge though.

I really liked Hero and AV is unquestionably great but if you want the most playtime out of your purchase get KF2.

Finally was able to get GTA5 to NOT crash after a few minutes, just had to bump my page file up to 10gigs.

That seems....a bit excessive.

Let the OS handle the pagefile. I know limiting it was one of the big performance tips back in the day but it didn't do a lot and is completely irrelevant today.

I've got a Pillars of Eternity code. I can't open steam right now because public wifi...

Such torture

I wish my job would let me grow a beard. Closest I can get will be when I move later next month... until I'm back in school and have to shave again.

My job requires me to put on pants on the morning, so yeah, it could be better

fantomena

From Pewds vlogs and his Skavlan interview he seems like a very nice guy.

TB on the other hand...ugh..really dislike him due to his "elitism" and gamergate stuff.

Kiru

Gaming mouse myths busted

Sensational title but some good info.

Speaking of Gaming Mice. I bought a Roccat Kone Pure, great feel but the mouse wheel started making some bump sound after a while (maybe defective) and the side buttons make some noise when you hit them on the wrong angle with a sweaty thumb. So I also bought a Logitech G502 Proteus Core to see what they have to offer, and oh my god is that scroll wheel loud and annoying, you lose grip everytime you try to middleclick. Also this mouse feels so cheap for the 80€ MSRP, makes some noise at times while clicking. Crazy what cheaply built mice you get if you want to buy some "gaming" mice... Going to send both back to amazon and will ask for a non-defective Roccat Kone Pure again.

I like TB :-/

I liked TB too before I made the mistake of looking at his activities outside of youtube. Pussyfooting around with GG and talking his arse out of various topics he knows nothing about really dented my viewing experience. In a way it is kindof like Jeremy Clarkson, except way less funny. I still hold his opinions like menus with some regard, everything else can be a wash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom