• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

derExperte

Speaking of Gaming Mice. I bought a Roccat Kone Pure, great feel but the mouse wheel started making some bump sound after a while (maybe defective) and the side buttons make some noise when you hit them on the wrong angle with a sweaty thumb. So I also bought a Logitech G502 Proteus Core to see what they have to offer, and oh my god is that scroll wheel loud and annoying, you lose grip everytime you try to middleclick. Also this mouse feels so cheap for the 80€ MSRP, makes some noise at times while clicking. Crazy what cheaply built mice you get if you want to buy some "gaming" mice... Going to send both back to amazon and will ask for a non-defective Roccat Kone Pure again.

I'm on team Roccat Kone Pure too. :) The scrollwheel has become my 1st priority when choosing a mouse because I use that all the time. And I hate loud peripherals, my old Logitech G9 had the nicest scrolling sound but eventually it had to go. So far, so good and no strange noises from the Kone but the rubber coating is supposedly not built to last and Roccat doesn't have the best track record in general. Still better than Razer.

Dr Dogg

Oh, i see what you mean. I get a similar feeling with franklin. The game always auto loads the clothes i don't like :(

Franklin did do alright on the amount of different hairstyles though. Although I don't think different is quite the right word.

Finally was able to get GTA5 to NOT crash after a few minutes, just had to bump my page file up to 10gigs.

That seems....a bit excessive.

Not really, depends on your system and how much memory you have installed. If you let Windows manage your pagefile I think it defaults to 16gb tops. Virtual memory is essentially how Windows works and either if you have a pagefile enabled to local storage or not it's always going to page applications that are open but not in use. Actually how much physical RAM do you have installed? The process has never gone over 5gb for me and system ram usage has topped out at 7gb while the total committed memory has got to 13gb tops and that's while lots of shit is open. Unless this is a crazy AMD driver efficiency thing.

Kiru

I'm on team Roccat Kone Pure too. :) The scrollwheel has become my 1st priority when choosing a mouse because I use that all the time. And I hate loud peripherals, my old Logitech G9 had the nicest scrolling sound but eventually it had to go. So far, so good and no strange noises from the Kone but the rubber coating of the Kone is supposedly not built to last.
Showing signs of coming off for you ? That's not good to hear if I want to use it for years to come. I like that rubber coating. Maybe you can prevent this from happening if you wash your hands in between a few hours of playing lol. And yeah the scroll wheel is so damn silent compared to the G502 and my old regular Logitech mouse.

<3

(I didn't even remember I already posted here - although, the fact it was on imgur was kind of a huge hint - but I blame the wine, lots of)
Oh you did. :p

derExperte

Showing signs of coming off for you ? That's not good to hear if I want to use it for years to come. I like that rubber coating. And yeah the scroll wheel is so damn silent compared to the G502 and my old regular Logitech mouse.

Not yet, no (been using it for a year now).

autoduelist

Did you get it to work? It did something similar to me but win 8.1 came up with use compat settings i clicked yes and it loaded

No, I'm still struggling. I will try this.

Thanks, although this didn't solve the issue. It did change what happens though.
After deleting the file, and running The Bard's Tale from my library.

This pops up a window asking me to:

The Bard's Tale - Steam
[ ] Play Bard's Tale
[ ] Language / Graphics Settings
[Play] / [Cancel]

No matter which option I choose, I am first asked if I want to allow Steam to make changes on my computer, click yes, and am again taken into:

---------------
The Bard's Tale - Steam
Performing First Time Setup
Installing: Step [blank] of [blank]
----------------

So I end up at the same issue no matter what I do.
Again, I'm at a total loss. Any help greatly appreciated.

I'm dumb and misremembered. You (also?) want to go into the folders containing the executable's Steam is failing to run and delete the installscript.vdf files therein. In the case of Bard, that's:

I deleted both folders and tried again, and still get the [blank] of [blank].
I also told steam to delete it, and did a complete re-download and still no progress.

So frustrating. I have such limited time to game per day (toddler!) and so when stuff like getting a game up and running takes hours it's really disheartening.

I will try titch's suggestion to make sure any 'compatibility' settings are correct, though i'm not entirely sure how to do that. If anyone has any more tips/advice i'd really love to hear it... anything to get this up and running.

My Wireless Steelseries Sensi is pretty great, and I find it impossible to tell the difference between the wired and wireless modes. Not playing Counter Strike at the pro level though.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm almost done with the interface for this:

1t3qo9d.png

When you're choosing a profile style, you get to see a preview of what it would look like on your my profile.

titch

If anyone has any more tips/advice i'd really love to hear it... anything to get this up and running.

What o/s are you running i'm on 8.1 64bit

It's running under compatibility mode win98/me for me (go to the bards tale.exe right click on it and set the compat settings there) - worth a go i guess

zkylon

zkylewd
TB pretty much discloses when something is subjective, like when critiquing art direction, and when something is objective, like performance. I don't agree with some of his subjective points of view, but I find his reviews incredibly useful.

For example, he loves DOTA while I hate PvP MOBAs. He recently did a pretty fair review Bloodsports TV, which is a PVE MOBA and focus on objective things like strategy depth in the number of characters and specializations, bang per buck, time to finish, difficulty, variety amongst others. Those aspects can be quantified and evaluated and I appreciate his effort on doing that, since my money is not infinite.

I didn't take into account his subjective points of view though, and I wouldn't like a purely subjective review from him anyway.
i mean

tbh i don't really care about reviews, so the objective part is completely uninteresting to me and is the reason i unsubbed from his channel a lot before i heard about the gg stuff

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Pakkidis, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Pakkidis, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Capsized -- MB-B7BE7BDA7126B835 - Taken by Purkake4. 2 entrants total.

t1429745850z1.png

Teggy

I tried playing Dustforce with keyboard controls. That lasted through the tutorial.

I can't play platformers with keyboard controls. I put my fingers on x and z and 5 seconds later they are on d or e or whatever. I'll have to give it a try with a controller.

I did play through the entire of Gothic 1 with keyboard controls.

ExoSoul

Banned
Unrelated but I figure I'd ask you guys

IqCMJXs.jpg

Should I?

"Just" plus this and that, oh don't forget the other thing too.

I tried playing Dustforce with keyboard controls. That lasted through the tutorial.

I can't play platformers with keyboard controls. I put my fingers on x and z and 5 seconds later they are on d or e or whatever. I'll have to give it a try with a controller.

I did play through the entire of Gothic 1 with keyboard controls.

If ever I've seen a game that needs controller support it would be Dustforce
, it broke my heart =<

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (lashman, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Racer 8 -- MB-ACF7CF4F8527F616 - Taken by Akuosa
Truffle Saga -- MB-52474DC4670648B9 - Taken by texhnolyze

autoduelist

It's running under compatibility mode win98/me for me (go to the bards tale.exe right click on it and set the compat settings there) - worth a go i guess

I have completely deleted it from my system (again) and have it 70% downloaded.

I have a high end dell laptop with 8.1 installed, 64 bit. 16g ram.

So to be clear you're suggesting, after it is finished downloading, I should go to the folder and right click the exe and set 'compatibility' to win98/me.

Then double click from the Steam library to install, and cross my fingers?

BigAT

Friends, any thoughts on the PC issue below?

I've been having some problems with my audio input/microphone for a while now. Basically whenever I'm speaking, there is a high pitched buzzing in the background. I've heard it described as being like a dentist's drill, although the intensity isn't quite that loud.

I've gotten it when using two different headsets, so I don't think it is my mic. I have gotten it in multiple VOIP programs, so I don't think it's the software. I have tried both the front and back mic ports on my PC. Do I just need to buy a new soundcard or something? I currently just use the onboard sound on my MB.

Parsnip

So Risky's Revenge that is on Steam is the second game that was originally on DSiWare.
Pirate's Curse is the third game that was originally on 3DS and WiiU.
And Half-Genie Hero is the 4th game, is the one they kickstarted and that's still in development.

Trying to keep Shantae games straight in my head is proving more difficult than I expected, all the subtitles are so unmemorable.

Jawmuncher

Friends, any thoughts on the PC issue below?

I've been having some problems with my audio input/microphone for a while now. Basically whenever I'm speaking, there is a high pitched buzzing in the background. I've heard it described as being like a dentist's drill, although the intensity isn't quite that loud.

I've gotten it when using two different headsets, so I don't think it is my mic. I have gotten it in multiple VOIP programs, so I don't think it's the software. I have tried both the front and back mic ports on my PC. Do I just need to buy a new soundcard or something? I currently just use the onboard sound on my MB.

Could be due to a lack of shielding on both ports.

autoduelist

re-download complete. going to properties / compatibility, it is already set to win98/me. hrm.

going to try again. wish me luck.

Parsnip

Hmm. Patrice Desilets is probably announcing some details of his new project tomorrow.

I hope it doesn't get bought by Ubisoft.

autoduelist

re-download complete. going to properties / compatibility, it is already set to win98/me. hrm.

going to try again. wish me luck.

It worked! 3rd time I had re-download. Didn't change anything, though it matched titch's suggestion. I guess I should be happy it's working, though wish it didn't take 2 hours. But now I get to play Bard's Tale 1-3 again so I'm happy.

Thank you all who offered suggestions, it was really appreciated.

Is there any word on the BT4 kickstarter?

And any feedback on Convoy yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom