• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Videogames taught me english.

I got a 10 (perfect score) in a junior-high test back then, the only one in school.
Then the teacher asked me to go forward and asked, "Anyway how do you learn your English?" I said "By playing video games", and everyone in the class was like jaw dropping. Video games are kinda considered as the evil thing back then. That was my peak lol.

Milamber

yeah, same here

I think

I don't quite remember. I feel like I always knew enligsh even tho no one around me has ever spoken it

movies games music?

pretty sure I learned how to read in english almost at the same time as spanish due to having the US version of Pokemon Red or something

What language are you thinking in?

Salsa

I don't know about that... Many games can teach you some bad English, that's true ;)

a couple years ago I decided knowing English without ever studying seemed like some sort of untapped potential so I took this test people study like 7 years for and got A+ on everything except grammar, and I legitimately blame GAF for it

it's the only place where I routinely write on the language and we all kinda use shitty slang

Salsa

What language are you thinking in?

I actually think in english when im browsing here, I think

I mean, I dont think up my posts in spanish and then translate them, if that's what you mean

and i'll be talking to people and suddenly say a word that doesnt exist by translating something from english that doesnt have a spanish equivalent, or does, but sounds completely different

Copons

I actually think in english when im browsing here, I think

I mean, I dont think up my posts in spanish and then translate them, if that's what you mean

and i'll be talking to people and suddenly say a word that doesnt exist by translating something from english that doesnt have a spanish equivalent, or does, but sounds completely different

I hear you.
In the last 10 years or so I've basically used English as my first language, between internet, games, music, movies, tv series, books and most importantly work, as it's not like programming in Italian makes much sense (even tho I get some weird looks when other people see that all my comments are in English).
But it's a mixed blessing, as I'm really seeing my Italian getting worse and worse every day, and even when I write something on my site I usually need wordreference open to look up Italian translations of what I want to write.
Even worse, when I talk I often stop saying like "how do we say this in Italian?" and people always think I'm a smug motherfucker, but I really can't help it. :(

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I remember impressing my first primary teacher by knowing the plot to The Hobbit because I played the Adventure game on a BBC Micro so much. Beyond that? I guess Sonic The Hedgehog taught me what an echidna was. That's good to know.

Now for something that isn't related to learning. As I don't follow them at all these days, what is the best MOBA game for someone to play by themselves with bots so that they can learn the general idea of what they are? Right now I'm just going to give my friend a copy of Warcraft III and a link to DOTA since I know that, but surely since 2005 something better has come out in that regard.

Salsa

Even worse, when I talk I often stop saying like "how do we say this in Italian?" and people always think I'm a smug motherfucker, but I really can't help it. :(

the struggle is real

same thing happens to me

the only bummer about it is that I haven't done anything with it yet. I mean it helped, and it got me some jobs for sure, but I haven't even been to a native english speaking country, and I always thought of this as "oh nice, I know this language so I can travel anywhere!" and proceeded to only go to Chile, Argentina, Colombia, Venezuela, and Peru

bleh

Milamber

*pft* Video games taught me all I need to know in bed.

EDIT: And getting games to play well in the PC taught me all I need to know about getting a great IT job.

EDIT: I'm hoping playing all these management and simulations get me to a cushy managers job though.

Chariot

I slammed english deep inside me (Ah! Ah) while reading with hentai doujinshi, letting the warm vocabulary dripping all over me (Hah~), licken every little edge of grammar I could reach. I didn't went all the way immediately, but worked myself (Ha! Ah!) slowly through the vast library of hentai the internet has hidden and less hidden (Yadaa~!). But you wouldn't notice, right, senpai?

Salsa

Im gonna get Duolingo and learn japanese so I can be cool on the steam thread

I mean that's where we're going with all your creepy shit and it's adapt to survive right

Milamber

I slammed english deep inside me (Ah! Ah) while reading with hentai doujinshi, letting the warm vocabulary dripping all over me (Hah~), licken every little edge of grammar I could reach. I didn't went all the way immediately, but worked myself (Ha! Ah!) slowly through the vast library of hentai the internet has hidden and less hidden (Yadaa~!). But you wouldn't notice, right, senpai?

Iyaaa~! The hentai opened up my bed english degree to masters level.

baterism

kachou-lessons.jpg

Of course we are.

Sarcasm

My wife is Taiwanese. Yet he first response for everything is English.

Sleep talking is where it gets interesting. Mostly English and sometimes Japanese.

Can have conversations with her when she is sleeping.

Milamber

Im gonna get Duolingo and learn japanese so I can be cool on the steam thread

I mean that's where we're going with all your creepy shit and it's adapt to survive right

From where we are going in the future, it is better you learn Cantonese and Mandarin Chinese. Better job opportunities that way.

Salsa

From where we are going in the future, it is better you learn Cantonese and Mandarin Chinese. Better job opportunities that way.

I kinda just mean this thread's demise

you all suck and it keeps gettin worse BUT ping pong the animation is alright tho

I'm still cautious about the fact that CDPR haven't released any console version footage at all.
If they want to impress consoles market, now is the perfect time. The game is golden already, what's wrong?

Arthea

I'm still cautious about the fact that CDPR haven't released any console version footage at all.
If they want to impress consoles market, now is the perfect time. The game is golden already, what's wrong?

I'm pretty sure they finish PC version first then port it? There is not much to show yet except for a PC version?

apologizes = doesnt take it down, adds a tiny bit at the end if you actually expand the description

it's still pretty big, as far as MS practices go.

Console versions are actually downgraded.

nonono, they add that cinematic feel, exclusive to consoles
sorry, I had to

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

They did an alright job of cramming as much of TW2's visual identity onto ancient hardware (XB360), when on the PC space it took a monster rig at the time to really max it out. I've sort of wondered why there hasn't been much direct feed footage of the console versions, but I can't imagine it'd look really bad.

Probably just want to keep their heads away from the sharp objects that will be thrown at them for the usual DOWNGRADE brigade!

Salsa

I regret going for 3 stars on every level of Lovely Planet from the get go cause the mechanic they introduce in world 5 just isnt fun but now I just gotta do it

zkylon

zkylewd
after watching frost's webm (and from what he tells me) i think even if it's really cheap i won't be getting dks2 ripoff edition

i feels like they doubled down on how messed up brighstone cove is and i don't really want to go through the stress of playing that section without knowing by memory where every spider is

dang maybe i should do this

i dunno why or how much it costs

but sounds like something i could do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom