• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

chronomac

I was going to reply and then Stump stepped in.

And correct me if I'm wrong but has anyone explicitly stated that if you've already downloaded and used a mod you'll have to pay to keep using it? I thought this was for future downloads and updates.

Grief.exe

Darn getting some emulation issues with DMC3:SE in PCSX2. Capcom re-port DMC3:SE to PC and have it not be an awful port this time.

The issues with the pc port have largely been fixed by modders.

And correct me if I'm wrong but has anyone explicitly stated that if you've already downloaded and used a mod you'll have to pay to keep using it? I thought this was for future downloads and updates.

They cannot adjust anything that exists in your computer.

So there's a roguelike sale right now and, um, it seems I really like roguelikes:
i5I0KydZkQuSO.jpg

Anyone has any particular recommendations from the ones I don't own?

So, I completed RE Revelations 2 (actually I miss the two bonus episodes).

Well, the game is a mess.

-First, graphics are just horrible. Even maxed out, the game is on par with Dreadout. All locations are flat and uninspired, excluding the very last one in which you stay something like ten minutes.

-The game is boring. You repeat the same actions again, and again, and again. And then, you travel among the same locations with both characters groups. It's kinda a backtracking, even if it's not backtracking.

-All is useless. Collectibles are useless, there are not achievements nor bonus related to them (like I grab all of them, the game gives me 10000 points...no, nothing). Same applies to difficulty settings, even if you get a bonus points when you clear all episodes, but it's not such a grat bonus worth the effort.

-The plot is just...useless? Revelations? Uhu, nope. The game gives you some useless info that die with the game, excluding one thing that can or can't have a development in the future. The rest is kinda pointless.

Only things I liked were cutscenes. Honestly I would prefer a CGI movie like Degeneration instead of this, at least it would be entertaining, because see the return of Barry Burton in a game like this is just a missed opportunity.
Did you play RER1? If so, how does it compare?

I liked RER for what it was even if it was pretty uneven at times.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Maniac mentioned that some of the mods he's been using got pulled and transitioned to the new subscription model. Even if this sort of thing weren't automated on Valve's end, it would be trivially easy to remove an existing mod and add a "new" one (the same one) with a subscription cost.

I mean if you still have the files saved that's one thing, but I think the Skyrim launcher will look at your existing workshop subscriptions and (maybe?) even delete the ones you're no longer subscribed to.

chronomac

They cannot adjust anything that exists in your computer.

Right (and I sound dumb after re-reading my question). I guess I don't have a lot of energy to hate this, since you can just keep using the mods you've had downloaded already. If you really love those 456 Skyrim graphics mods that make it look different/better/colorful, keep using them. If someone releases a better one, read the reviews to see if it's decent and make an educated purchase, knowing you can get a refund if it's not up to snuff.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So there's a roguelike sale right now and, um, it seems I really like roguelikes:
i5I0KydZkQuSO.jpg

Anyone has any particular recommendations from the ones I don't own?

Isaac Redux and Sunless Sea are both held in high regard, although it'd probably be worth holding out on the latter given the Summer Sale is only a couple of months or so away.

Backlogger

I am of the free market point of view. If the cost of the mod exceeds the value of enjoyment I think I might get from it I won't buy it. Simple as that. No offense taken. If they want to charge for their work then they will need to create mods that people want and are willing to pay for.

I might be too old but what is Rogue-Like game?

I am of the free market point of view. If the cost of the mod exceeds the value of enjoyment I think I might get from it I won't buy it. Simple as that. No offense taken. If they want to charge for their work then they will need to create mods that people want and are willing to pay for.

You are right of course

Turfster

Uplay got an update, guys!
They separated chat windows from the friends window!
And it now tells you when a friend comes online or starts a game!

I'm... kinda shocked those weren't in yet?

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah i don't necessarily think it's wrong for modders to be payed for this, it just feels bad because modding is something that didn't use to be a business and businesses kind of ruin everything :T

Just googling Gone Home Life is Strange brings up what I'm talking about. One of the trailers pushed this with press comments citing this as well.
i suppose you mean they compared the two?

i think they have many points in common in how they're predominantly "girly", story-driven games with very light gameplay and both very hipsterish styles

i dunno what's so hard to see about comparing the two

I might be too old but what is Rogue-Like game?
a roguelike's commonly referred to as a permadeath game in which you traverse procedurally generated dungeons or situations

they're usually challenging, somewhat rng driven and have some rpg elements tied to them, tho that's not always the case

examples: spelunky, binding of isaac, ftl, dungeons of dredmore, dungeon of the endless

MUnited83

For you.
I infrequently use mods, making them paid is only going to deter me from using them at all. I get that they're trying to be inclusive with modders the way they are with TF2 and Dota 2, and maybe this will be great for people making stuff like that Skyrim total conversion Enderal, or the up-port of Morrowind to Skyrim but I don't see how this will work with the fan patches or smaller items. It will probably blow up and be huge. Bethesda will turn Skyrim into a service without even trying. I mean if horse armor made Bethesda a shitton of money, why wouldn't this work?
Stop with the doomsday scenarios. This won't kill modding and it won't stop free mods from existing.

Maniac mentioned that some of the mods he's been using got pulled and transitioned to the new subscription model. Even if this sort of thing weren't automated on Valve's end, it would be trivially easy to remove an existing mod and add a "new" one (the same one) with a subscription cost.

I mean if you still have the files saved that's one thing, but I think the Skyrim launcher will look at your existing workshop subscriptions and (maybe?) even delete the ones you're no longer subscribed to.

Well if the modder wants you to buy the paid one s/he can just make the free one an empty file. When the free mod is updated yours will too and voila you now got a brand new nothing, or maybe a link to the paid mod explaining that you now gotta pay.

garath

Uplay got an update, guys!
They separated chat windows from the friends window!
And it now tells you when a friend comes online or starts a game!

I'm... kinda shocked those weren't in yet?

The only thing Uplay needs to do for me right now is allow you to move games to different drives. Having to re-download Farcry 4 for the 4th time is encouraging me to just not play it.

Jawmuncher

yeah i don't necessarily think it's wrong for modders to be payed for this, it just feels bad because modding is something that didn't use to be a business and businesses kind of ruin everything :T

i suppose you mean they compared the two?

i think they have many points in common in how they're predominantly "girly", story-driven games with very light gameplay and both very hipsterish styles

i dunno what's so hard to see about comparing the two

a roguelike's commonly referred to as a permadeath game in which you traverse procedurally generated dungeons or situations

they're usually challenging, somewhat rng driven and have some rpg elements tied to them, tho that's not always the case

examples: spelunky, binding of isaac, ftl, dungeons of dredmore, dungeon of the endless

I guess I just don't see them as being that similar at all.

If you're an artist and you can make money making cosmetic mods or dota hats or a designer/programmer that can make a conversion mod or whatever versus working in a "proper" game studio, like good money, I'd say make mods or hats. If you can work at your own pace, not have to do crunch for months on end, be able to see your friends, family and loved ones and make decent money, then why in the fuck would you ever want to work at a studio? I say this having worked in the game industry at a proper studio on a game many people here have enjoyed and continue to talk fondly of.

At a proper game studio you are going to be a contractor, and in some cases you are a contractor even though your position is full-time. You will be let go at the end of the project, maybe kept around for a bit longer if there's planned DLC, but you constantly have to be aware of your contract end date and what the studios plans are for the near future and if those involve you. Do they like you and the work you do? Do they have another project lined up with space for you possibly in it? If they don't have another job for you lined up, but they're more than willing to hire you back when they do, what do you do in the interim? Take some time off because you're feeling crazy burned out from a year of crunch time? If not, what other studios in town are hiring? If there are no other studios in town, what nearby ones are? No studios in or around the city you are in, what about another state or province? Another country? You constantly have to be hustling, and moving quite possibly, to make sure you stay employed. And you can get hired into crunch after just heavily crunching on your last project.

Or you can make doto hats and earn a good living off of that. I say this being ignorant of what the constraints and process is like beyond some people seem to be making a decent living at it.

Stop with the doomsday scenarios. This won't kill modding and it won't stop free mods from existing.

I just stated I expected paid mods to succeed, but I only see it making sense for larger scale projects like Skywind but then people bought horse armor so they'll probably buy whatever. That Bethesda would be profiting by doing nothing, nothing about free mods ceasing to exist and that I personally would not be likely to pay for a mod since I barely use them. Thar be no Doomsday there.

Dr Dogg

If a Workshop subscription is deleted but you're still subscribed to it then it will still work (providing it's compatible) but you more than likely will have Steam stuck in an update loop due to the content not matching up or more over existing their end. SkyUI was like that for me and I just put up with a failed download whilst I had Skyrim installed.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years is now available on GreenManGaming.

Includes a Steam key, and comes to $11.52 after coupon 20OFFM-ATTHEW-HATTON.

pahamrick

The only thing Uplay needs to do for me right now is allow you to move games to different drives. Having to re-download Farcry 4 for the 4th time is encouraging me to just not play it.

You can kind of sort of do that now, its just a bit of a pain. I did it earlier for Watch_Dogs, and I had to copy the files to the new drive, uninstall the game in uPlay, set the new default drive location in uPlay preferences then go to re-download.

It will discover the existing files and you'll be good to go, but they still need to implement a system like Steam has.

Jawmuncher

well i don't know what to tell you

you seem really stubborn about not accepting the similarities the two games have for some reason

Well you didn't exactly explain what Girly and hipster is for both of these games.
Only thing I understand is story driven light gameplay but that's a broad comparison. Evident when there were comparisons to Walking Dead as well.

zkylon

zkylewd
Well you didn't exactly explain what Girly and hipster is for both of these games.
Only thing I understand is story driven light gameplay but that's a broad comparison. Evident when there were comparisons to Walking Dead as well.
well both games are coming-of-age stories about teenager girls. gone home deals more with sexuality and lis seems to be more about accepting yourself, confidence and such, tho i felt the first episode hinted a relationship between chloe and her other friend

i've heard people call both games hipsterish a lot, because of its subject matter and their art styles with like folksky friday night lights americana thing or its 90s throwback casette tape stuff in gone home's case

also that doesn't mean lis isn't also very much like twd since both games play so similarly, it's why most people's immediate reaction was to think of both twd and gone home, they're not mutually exclusive!

cool

don't know that one tho

Still seems to be interest in ME4 though

At least you wont have to look far for your next avatar
i mean, as someone that really liked mass effect's universe i'd definitely be interested in a new game

tho i don't have much trust in bioware being able to replicate what made me1 great, i would like to see what they come up with for the series and how they figure out what the next step is after shepard

also shut up

Centipede Demon. Was I doing something wrong or was that kind of a shitty fight? Like, low point of the game shitty?

It is indeed the worst fight of the game if you don't count Bed of Chaos. You can cut off centipede's arm that he impales with from long range and get the orange ring during the fight so you can walk on the lava, but how the fuck is someone going to know that.

Sunless Sea, Heavy Bullets and Isaac.

Isaac Redux and Sunless Sea are both held in high regard, although it'd probably be worth holding out on the latter given the Summer Sale is only a couple of months or so away.

Eldritch, Heavy Bullets, Tower of Guns and Abyss Odyssey

Thanks for the recommendations. I own Isaac Reborn and Tower of Guns from PS+ already, will check the others.

I might be too old but what is Rogue-Like game

Rogue and the term roguelike are from the early 80s, so it's more likely you're too young to know about them. Also a Google or Wikipedia search would have taken you less keypresses that writing that post. :D

You say all these names, I don't know any of them.
I am old.
But I got it

Don't know why you keep waving the age card, I'm 38 and I've played all of those. Missing out on Spelunky and FTL is a huge disservice you're doing to yourself, those are my most played non-MMO PC games of the last decade.

You know what an MMO is, right? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom