• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAT

fuck it they win

ztLBJCf.png

No. You get to play BoI, you win.

Salsa

No. You get to play BoI, you win.

I played hundreds of hours of the original, for some reason it took me this long to grab Rebirth cause I wasnt around when it came out and decided to wait for a sale to $7.5 or $5 since I missed the zeitgeist but fuck it

Paid Mods, eh? Will modders who offer their stuff outside of Steam go Steam-exclusive since it's the place to sell?

I understand people pouring loads of hours into Mods. There are many who rival retail games in quality and quantity! Getting money for those is definitely not undeserved.

But on the other hand, Mods, fan-patches and similar which was almost always free, was one of the biggest factors why I like PC gaming so much. Sure, many Mods will stay free but the beginning will be a bit troubled I think. Like unfinished Mods, color-changes, lazy reskins.. everyone will want to get a piece of the pie.

Things will level out in time though. A very small selection of real quality products will constantly stay on top while +90% will not get good sales.

For me as a gamer this is not good though. Free mods were there for decades. Most did it for free. Most did spare the same time and effort like modders do today. And they still continued to mod.

This will likely lead to scam-y paid mods ala scam-y early-access stuff.

I am not glad but I will survive.
Every single one. They are all shit, but you need them all to have good mod support, which is the thing you need to enjoy Skyrim properly.
Oh, I didn't know that. Huh. Hm. Heh. Have the base game thanks to a greatly hatted buddy. But damn, Dragonborn & Dawnguard are about 15€! The Legendary Edition 10€. What a weird situation. What a shame.
The Legendary edition is a much better deal. You might end up wanting the DLC down the line, and the regular prices for those are absurd.
Totally agree. DLC price is absurd. 15 bucks for DLC? That's several new games for God's sake!
They cannot adjust anything that exists in your computer.
... time to put my broadband under a stress test it seems.
Wow. End of an era. Bought many cheap mice and keyboards over the years. Cheap but good quality.
EDIT: http://www.gamestar.de/hardware/news/3085180/logitech.html German, they contacted Logitech and indeed, only the production of cheap mice (OEM Business) will end. Not their own, not their gaming mice!
Seems you are not an expert at checking the whole story before posting >_>

;)

Remember Riot? Visually it's quite striking.
Finally! Been thinking about the trailer for years it feels. Pretty cool visuals and idea. Hope it won't end up being to "simple".
i saw one once

i rip it out immediately

i've been depressed ever since
Whaaa? Grey hair makes men look awesome.
Especially on the sides. I like mine.
Im 20 years old today. :)

Survived so far. *self high-five*
Happy birthday young one!
Of course we are.
The show is so underrated. So much entertainment value.
I don't even like 99% of the games he's playing, haha.
Congrats on the English!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
no one reads my posts ; _ ;

not even stump ; _ ;
He is not only a mod but an admin.

He has to be a good example for the community.

:p
Straight from the left field. From the past media I was underwhelmed.

But this looks actually pretty awesome!

Here some really cool parts.
cvgspm.gif

Nice that they put so much effort into driving. It's a main focus after all.

jzjifd.gif

Harsh realities of a wasteland.

ufliax.gif
esgkga.gif
rosmfq.gif

Gorgeous vista shots.

It's gif and 65MB. We live in 2015. If you have bandwidth problems, you have images disables already ;)

Jawmuncher

You guys should totally post screenshots of your custom profile themes with Enhanced Steam now (because I could really use the feedback).

Also I created a dedicated thread for that in the official group, if you're so inclined.

I have custom background but no custom theme when i look.

--------

I have to wait on Mad Max. I want a real SP. Not 5 missions and the rest is just filler. Thanks devs messing around on the map is just what I wanted to do for SP content /s

So I started The Witcher 2 and holy fuck is the tutorial terrible. Throws shit in your face way too fast and expects you to grok it after looking at one screen's worth of information, sometimes presenting multiple screens back to back. Maybe it would be slightly better with a controller, IDK.

Does the main game itself introduce things any slower? Cause damn. Probably gonna watch a bit of a let's play now to see if that helps me understand any better. Read the manual too.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
My phone's screen is broken so I haven't been checking GAF during the day and then I miss stuff :( You're in my cool books don't worry!

I am? awww, thanks :)

but yeah - I posted the link to the Canabalt store page earlier today :)

Jawmuncher

So I started The Witcher 2 and holy fuck is the tutorial terrible. Throws shit in your face way too fast and expects you to grok it after looking at one screen's worth of information, sometimes presenting multiple screens back to back. Maybe it would be slightly better with a controller, IDK.

Does the main game itself introduce things any slower? Cause damn. Probably gonna watch a bit of a let's play now to see if that helps me understand any better. Read the manual too.

You pretty much stay kind of loss until you decide to just mess about or look things up.
I wasn't a fan of how it introduced things either. One of the reasons i'm a bit worried about W3 for the new fans on consoles.

titch

I hate you all -__-

Whew let off or on ignore :(

Ending aside, it's not that bad. It has a lot of great moments.
Make sure you check out the dlc, with the exception of Omega they're great. Leviathan is crucial to the story, it's a travesty that such important content isn't in the main game.
Citadel is one of the best pieces of SP dlc ever made.

And it's never on sale either :( Cheers 4 that tho!!

zkylon

zkylewd
Did it really go THAT bad in 3 - no need to elaborate really i will play it and find out for myself lol
i mean, to be honest, yeah

it has a few great moments which i wouldn't downplay because they're really nice conclusions to plot threads that started in me1 but it also shits on so many things and then puts that mindbogglingly stupid ending on top that's hard to forgive it for it

and like they really fucked up the amount of choices you get in conversation, you constantly get the feeling that some of the things shepard says automatically in me3 would've been dialogue options in me2 and 1, and then they really really fucked up side quests by making them that weird ass thing of shepard overhearing people in the street saying something like "oh boy i sure wish someone killed the pirates in potato planet!" and you go and do it and then just stand close to the person that said that and you get rewarded. no cutscene or dialogue or anything, and most of those quests are just walk and shoot something with not much lore or exposition or moral choices or anything

i hear the dlc for me3 is pretty good and i kinda want to try it out because after three games i'm kind of in love with my shep but at the same time it's kind of heartbreaking what a shitty conclusion my shepard got after all the things we've gone through

so yeah, they really fucked it up in 3 and it's specially egregious cos you get invested in these characters after being with them for so many years and after making them your own by making your own choices, which makes it even worse when they automatically make decisions that your own shepard wouldn't ever take (specially bad in me2 arrival dlc)

Well I just got home from the store!
Capcom, Sega both of these should be on Steam.
eAf7jJYl.jpg
yeah, specially resonance of fate

i so wanna play that thing

Whaaa? Grey hair makes men look awesome.
Especially on the sides. I like mine.
gross

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Wow, looks like Steam is issuing 1 week community bans now for people making comments about how user-created mods shouldn't be something they charge for.

MUnited83

For you.
Wow, looks like Steam is issuing 1 week community bans now for people making comments about how user-created mods shouldn't be something they charge for.

0e3.png

Yes, I imagine that's the case. But...that's still a huge chunk of the pie. Giving the modder 25%...I've heard of pimps who were more generous.

Yeah, it should be bigger, but it's a tricky situation, especially with 3 different parts on the deal. Personally I think it should be : 40%creator,40%publisher, 20% Valve.

Buraindo

The introduction is notoriously bad but things will get much better after that.

Saw that yet another old Final Fantasy is coming to PC. Cool.

With SE putting so many of their older titles on PC lately, I think it is only a matter of time until FFXV Demo will come.

They might have taken a bigger workload than planned on them though. So many older games were ported and then there's the new FFs they been working on.

But their new stance towards PC fills me with confidence that FFXV will soon come.

zkylon

zkylewd

IT BEGINS

did you play that other tutorial adventure? i forget how it's called but should be available from the main menu

it's very short but it's a more relaxed way to get into the game's mechanics

try that

When you put it all down - hell yeah thats utter crap!!!

Sounds like they had an endgame and they just crapped out even trying to make it look like you had a choice.
i think they didn't budget well enough to compensate for whatever multiplayer costed and i think the game's quality payed dearly for it

i heard the ending got rewritten a bunch of times in less than ideal situations, but even if the ending was better the whole game is a mess, save for a few sections that are honestly pretty great

Jawmuncher

Saw that yet another old Final Fantasy is coming to PC. Cool.

With SE putting so many of their older titles on PC lately, I think it is only a matter of time until FFXV Demo will come.

They might have taken a bigger workload than planned on them though. So many older games were ported and then there's the new FFs they been working on.

But their new stance towards PC fills me with confidence that FFXV will soon come.

Finish the game and outsource to QLOC to bring to PC. A phenomenal late port is better than no port.

jshackles

Personally, I'm reserving my judgement until the system is completely fleshed out. If the ecosystem that Valve has created for mods ends up being curated (either by Valve themselves or by the paying customers) then I think it's a good move. The mods that are worthy of purchase and offer a good value will be the ones with the highest ratings and it will encourage modders to create wonderful new things and will also encourage developers and publishers to be more forward-thinking in regards to modding support in future games. Free mods will (presumably) still be available, and in that scenario it really doesn't feel like this is a bad move.

The key is whether or not Valve puts in the effort to foster this new paid-mod ecosystem, or if it gets abandoned and ignored quickly like most of their other features. Are they going to actively pursue copyright claims? Probably, given their liability. Are they going to make sure that the mod you're paying for actually works? Probably not. Will they be checking the compatibility of different mods you've purchased, and warn you of any compatibility issues? Almost certainly not.

Either way, as someone with an (admittedly small) amount of experience in dealing with this sort of controversy and unpopular announcements, I'm not sure if Valve is handling the outcry in the correct way.

$60 for base game
$20 for DLC
$30 for mod packs.

PC gaming just got super fun!

Seriously though, I just saw a mod pack for Skyrim for $30!!!! Good grief, it's only been live for a few hours and already this is out of control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom