• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
meanwhile at the nexus:
* hosting for a pretty much infinite amount of mods
* more easy to browse site than valve's thing
* good ways to give the best mods and the recent mods exposure with "mod of the month" voting and "top recent mods" and highlight videos and interviews to modders and stuff
* you can donate to modders and 100% of the money goes ot them
* they have game-specific forums that allow a modding community to thrive
* easy-to-use client for the big games like new vegas and skyrim so installing mods is really easy
* modding wikis to help people make mods
* probably more stuff i don't know of

and it's 100% free with non-intrusive ads

sadly the only thing that valve provides to justify their 25% cut is the monopoly they have over pc gaming

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
meanwhile at the nexus:
* good ways to give the best mods and the recent mods exposure with "mod of the month" voting and "top recent mods" and highlight videos and interviews to modders and stuff
* they have game-specific forums that allow a modding community to exist
* easy-to-use client for the big games like new vegas and skyrim so installing mods is really easy
* modding wikis to help people out

sadly the only thing that valve provides to justify their 25% cut is the monopoly they have over pc gaming

Almost like every implementation for steam ever then.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The Valve Heel turn has been a longtime coming.

seth-rollins-turns-heel-o.gif

Someone with more talent than me shop Valve on Rollins, Skyrim on Reigns and Neogaf on Ambrose :p

Actually I guess Neogaf is Reigns and Skyrim is the confused Ambrose, it's not Skyrim's fault I guess ^_^

meanwhile at the nexus:
* they have game-specific forums that allow a modding community to exist
* modding wikis to help people out

The Nexus' ascent has been fantastic, especially since it's more than just Bethesda titles now.

It'll be really interesting to see how/whether the modding communities split.

The transformation of the canyon in Wasteland 2 if you let the monks
accidentally set off the nuclear bomb
is really neat. Excited to get to the second major area of the game now that the wonkiness of Act 2 has been ironed out.

Laughed at one of the other options where you can also
disarm the bomb
and when you get to the camp all of the monks have been slaughtered by bandits because they lost their ace. Their leader's reaction "You fucking suck"

And Nexus is more fucked than anything when / if Bethesda decides to start throwing C&D letters around and / or demanding a 50% cut of their advertising fees

The transformation of the canyon in Wasteland 2 if you let the monks
accidentally set off the nuclear bomb
is really neat. Excited to get to the second major area of the game now that the wonkiness of Act 2 has been ironed out.

Laughed at one of the other options where you can also
disarm the bomb
and when you get to the camp all of the monks have been slaughtered by bandits because they lost their ace. Their leader's reaction "You fucking suck"

My face all outcomes: :/ | :)

They could also, you know, tripple their income by putting 3rd party ads on the client / site.

And Nexus is more fucked than anything when / if Bethesda decides to start throwing C&D letters around and / or demanding a 50% cut of their advertising fees.

If Bethesda is half as stupid as everyone thinks they are, they'll do just that.

....and then wonder why their next game sells a few million less copies than Skyrim.

The Nexus is the #1 reason why Skyrim has the legs that it does.

Besides, even if Beth manages to kill Nexus, it'll lead to absolute chaos. It's like that gif where the guy squashes the spider, which causes thousands of its babies to escape. Have fun trying to sort that mess out.

Dr Dogg

Where Doogie at, I need his expertise

At 6:30 in the morning, in bed. Give me a couple of hours and I'll hit you up on Steam.

Battlefield Hardline on PC gets a 40% price cut on Origin

holy shit ... that game must've bombed HARD!!!

£29.94, so the price PC games used to be before EA jacked their prices up. Of course the price for the Premium version is still too much for me by a long way. Funnily this has been the only Battlefield other than 2142 that I haven't been there day 1. Campaign looked interesting compared to 3 & 4 but the meat and potatoes, the multi, really didn't do it for me in both of the betas I played.

If Bethesda is half as stupid as everyone thinks they are, they'll do just that.

....and then wonder why their next game sells a few million less copies than Skyrim.

Besides, even if Beth manages to kill Nexus, it'll lead to absolute chaos. It's like that gif where the guy squashes the spider, which causes thousands of its babies to escape. Have fun trying to sort that mess out.

I think it's well established that ZeniMax is chaotic evil spawn of satan, so I can already see it happening. It's sad really.

zkylon

zkylewd
so now that i think about it

is valve personally curating which mods can be sold?

so like

greenlight still exists for games

and valve is putting people to personally curate mods

the more you think about it lol...

Almost like every implementation for steam ever then.
sadly seems to be the case

i want to give valve the benefit of the doubt but this is pretty darned irredeemable

The Nexus' ascent has been fantastic, especially since it's more than just Bethesda titles now.

It'll be really interesting to see how/whether the modding communities split.
probably not, we'll see

why would valve open the floodgates to yet another issue of lack of curation is beyond me but i guess whether people buy these things or not will say if it's a success or a disaster

They could also, you know, tripple their income by putting 3rd party ads on the client / site.
i mean i really wish the nexus put ads on their client so they could have even more money and maybe upgrade the site a bit

i doubt they'll do that

beth is not dumb

omg keeps getting better and better

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Could someone fill me in real quick about the mod valve thing?

They're going to start charging for some/all/???

yuraya

I can already see Fallout 4 coming next year. Day of release having hundreds of mods costing hundreds of dollars. + Season pass + bonuses. Pay $300 in order to fully enjoy the game. pay another $100 couple months later when new mods come out.

Dark times ahead D:

dex3108

PhysX intensive games are coming and i was thinking to use my old GTX260 as dedicated PhysX card but then i realised that i only have 500W PSU :(

And regarding paid mods on Steam. Do Valve need to have contract or something with publisher/developer before implementing payed mods on Workshop? If developer/publisher refuses this deal can Valve still implement new system?

Another thing I find amusing about this whole debacle.
The Nexus community frowns on pirates, and will not assist anyone attempting to use mods on a pirated copy of skyrim (or any other game). Hell, most Nexus mods probably don't even work on illegally-downloaded games.

I can't believe that there wasn't a single person at Bethesda and/or Valve that said "Um...this is a bad idea."

So far all they've managed to accomplish is turn the modder/consumer communities against each other for a hot second.

meanwhile at the nexus:
* they have game-specific forums that allow a modding community to thrive
* modding wikis to help people make mods
* probably more stuff i don't know of

What if the modders at nexus went "fuck this, I'm going to steamworks"?
I mean, why create mods for free if you can get paid for those?

I can already see Fallout 4 coming next year. Day of release having hundreds of mods costing hundreds of dollars. + Season pass + bonuses. Pay $300 in order to fully enjoy the game. pay another $100 couple months later when new mods come out.

Dark times ahead D:

This is the only outcome I can imagine at this rate. :(
Valve have opened the pandora box.

Dr Dogg

PhysX intensive games are coming and i was thinking to use my old GTX260 as dedicated PhysX card but then i realised that i only have 500W PSU :(

And regarding paid mods on Steam. Do Valve need to have contract or something with publisher/developer before implementing payed mods on Workshop? If developer/publisher refuses this deal can Valve still implement new system?

Chances are a 260 as a dedicated PhysX card would make things worse that doing calculations on a single, fast GPU. It's a bit long in the tooth and I've found for the best results you need the cards to be close together or really good at compute tasks like a 580. Funnily Arkham Origins ran better for me using one card to render and one card to calculate than SLI if they're both matched. In the room where you fight Deathstroke using either a single GPU or SLI I would get 40-50fps where as using one to render and one to calculate got me 60-70fps on the same setting. Lost a lot of grunt in non PhysX situations but stopped the wild framerate fluctuations.

Catshade

Guys, I have some ideas for Valve's next business ventures: Paid community guides. Paid artworks. Paid broadcasts. Now everyone can get that sweet 25% cut!

zkylon

zkylewd
What if the modders at nexus went "fuck this, I'm going to steamworks"?
I mean, why create mods for free if you can get paid for those?
why create mods in the first place?

not everything in life is about money, unfortunately valve comes in and abuses its monopoly to force it to be the way they want it, but obviously do it sloppily like usual and unfortunately in a way that screws the people that are actually doing any work here

Sajjaja

not everything in life is about money, unfortunately valve comes in and abuses its monopoly to force it to be the way they want it, but obviously do it sloppily like usual and unfortunately in a way that screws the people that are actually doing any work here

Maybe we should move to Origin and Uplay ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I actually wondered who decided this shit. I mean actually from what I recall Gaben said something along the lines that free maps and mods by gamers are whats keeping games afloat after a while.

This move seems totally like everything what Valve once stood for.

You have a point, people are modding for the community in the first place.However, it's different now, they have a choice.
I guess all we can do now is to trust that the modders on nexus will be willing to continue to do what they've been doing all these years, for pc gamers.

I still don't see what has changed. Non-free mods have been around for ages. The Valve cut is the same. Zenimax gonna Zenimax. Only thing I could imagine that's grey area is removing the donation links, but even that is most likely Zenimax pulling the strings.

zkylon

zkylewd
Maybe we should move to Origin and Uplay ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
unfortunately we're kind of screwed at this point

imagine a world in which ea and ubi weren't so shit as to actually try to compete with steam rather than just steal sales from them

lol so good

I actually wondered who decided this shit. I mean actually from what I recall Gaben said something along the lines that free maps and mods by gamers are whats keeping games afloat after a while.

This move seems totally like everything what Valve once stood for.
i mean, i'm not necessarily against charging for mods but there's just too much questionable stuff around it

be it the 25% thing, how the mods are reviewed, whether valve will fail again to stop scammers to ruin their store, how this divides teh community, etc.

and like how it feels like it goes against the whole idea of what modding is

we'll see how it goes, i would love for mods to get the recognition and money they deserve for their hard work

unfortunately all that money's going to bethesda right now

You have a point, people are modding for the community in the first place.However, it's different now, they have a choice.
I guess all we can do now is to trust that the modders on nexus will be willing to continue to do what they've been doing all these years, for pc gamers.
there'll be a bit of a divide, i guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom