• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised Galaxy isn't already out in the open given The Witcher 3 is mere weeks away.

I'm loving the preview (leaked?).

speaking of galaxy stuff

how much stuff is on gog anyways?

everything but big names?

i feel like using gog for indies and stuff while using steam for the aaa shit would be a nice balance.

It's the best place to get old games, hence the name, good ol' games.

gabbo

speaking of galaxy stuff

i feel like using gog for indies and stuff while using steam for the aaa shit would be a nice balance
From their catalogue page: 1031 DRM-FREE GAMES
I've been trying to get more from gog using this very same idea, but i've also grabbed fewer AAA titles anyway, so it's actually gotten more mind share of late.

lol I was making a thread on this as we speak

GTA V was 60+ GB

Holy shit. Between the increasing sizes of games and how shitty NA ISP's can be, I definitely think I need a back up drive for my games. Or to buy them on physical media. I'm having to stop and start Shadows of Mordor download since yesterday because I'm not the only person using it or I want to use it for something else (like WoW). I love the savings but I bought the game two days ago and still haven't fully downloaded the game yet. Got a Pali to level up.

I'm just that awesome.

Standard blue ray size? Not too surprising but uncompressed audio/video could explain some of it.

Well, assuming they don't set aside a certain amount of space aside for encryption--DVD9's had 9GB capacity but typically 2GB was set aside for encryption purposes--a Blu-ray layer can hold up to 50GB of data. I can't remember how many layers a single BR disc can hold somewhere between 4-6? It feels weird to say but I almost want to start buying physical media again, not that that's really an option for 75% of PC games in NA.

zkylon

zkylewd
Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: China is probably the most fun I've had with an Assassin's Creed game since Brotherhood. No joke.

is it like mark of the ninja or something?

I expected terrible things but then Mexico was totally alright. Don't know what people are going on about.

And Warriors is great if you love the movie, one of the best movie-> game games.
to me it was more of the story being absurdly ignorant and offensive as well as the whole section being pretty pointless and basically just filler

just like the most egregious display of rockstar's ugly misanthropic writing

I was bored...

bvjlly.png

Feel free to use it Ningen!
nice

It's the best place to get old games, hence the name, good ol' games.
hmm well i don't really care about old games at this point since i pretty much have all the ones i want

thinking more about indie games and stuff

From their catalogue page: 1031 DRM-FREE GAMES
I've been trying to get more from gog using this very same idea, but i've also grabbed fewer AAA titles anyway, so it's actually gotten more mind share of late.
yeah, that's what i'm thinking

i'm barely buying any aaa's, i can launch gog games if i want to through steam and i would feel a lot better about where my money's going

i kind of wish you could just launch steam games from gog's client since i bet it will be much better

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

"GOG" stands for "Good Old Games". As the name suggests, it initially offered old games exclusively before branching out to indies and further still allowing AAA publishers to sell their relatively old games (e.g. Ubisoft sells a DRM-free[?] version of Far Cry 2).

Mr. Doop

"GOG" stands for "Good Old Games". As the name suggests, it initially offered old games exclusively before branching out to indies and further still allowing AAA publishers to sell their relatively old games (e.g. Ubisoft sells a DRM-free[?] version of Far Cry 2).

No, I know what GOG is, I just didn't know it stood for anything.

Ventara

So I haven't visited SteamGaf for a while, but I'm curious to know how you guys feel about paid mods. Do you guys think it's a good idea, or a bad one?

Also, what's the story behind the thread title? Is he still asking for codes to pay for his cable bill? Edit: I just noticed mornigbus made the thread! Where is the Orange guy?

Holy shit. Between the increasing sizes of games and how shitty NA ISP's can be, I definitely think I need a back up drive for my games. Or to buy them on physical media. I'm having to stop and start Shadows of Mordor download since yesterday because I'm not the only person using it or I want to use it for something else (like WoW). I love the savings but I bought the game two days ago and still haven't fully downloaded the game yet. Got a Pali to level up.

Well, assuming they don't set aside a certain amount of space aside for encryption--DVD9's had 9GB capacity but typically 2GB was set aside for encryption purposes--a Blu-ray layer can hold up to 50GB of data. I can't remember how many layers a single BR disc can hold somewhere between 4-6? It feels weird to say but I almost want to start buying physical media again, not that that's really an option for 75% of PC games in NA.

You'll have to download a hefty 5gb patch after installing the physical discs of GTA V though. Seems like they updated the game further after they shipped the dvds worldwide.
Physical discs aren't dependable either.

No, I know what GOG is, I just didn't know it stood for anything.

Haha yeah. I've just recently learned it as well.

Jawmuncher

So I haven't visited SteamGaf for a while, but I'm curious to know how you guys feel about paid mods. Do you guys think it's a good idea, or a bad one?

Also, what's the story behind the thread title? Is he still asking for codes to pay for his cable bill? Edit: I just noticed mornigbus made the thread! Where is the Orange guy?

Majority don't like the paid mods, some think it's ok and a few others want to see how it plays out. MrOrange has had a lot going on so stepped down from doing the steam thread. MMBostones made the first one after he left while we waited on what exactly what was going on and morningbus made the april thread because it would be "funny". Jshackles as of now will be the maker of steam threads unless something changes.

MUnited83

For you.
dude im embarrased for everyone with the shit that's going on

Highlights being so far:

People praising Tripwire for a piece of EULA present since 2006. Yet they did the whole paid mods way before this whole debacle. They released mods as dlc. But people are damn blind and don't remember that.

People dismissing Durante's opinion while chanting the praises of PC Gaming, while they won't ever contribute even 1% of what he does on their entire life.

Highlights being so far:

People praising Tripwire for a piece of EULA present since 2006. Yet they did the whole paid mods way before this whole debacle. They released mods as dlc. But people are damn blind and don't remember that.

People dismissing Durante's opinion while chanting the praises of PC Gaming, while they won't ever contribute even 1% of what he does on their entire life.

Wow, that Tripwire thread is interesting.
I think I missed that Durante part. Can I have a link?

Khronico

As the concept is currently implemented? No.
As a concept in general? I think it could be a positive change if implemented well.

Personally, I can't see myself ever paying for mods at all, even with stuff I really like.

And I highly doubt this was done out of any goodwill towards the mod scene, but that's just my opinion.

MUnited83

For you.

They don't. That's been debunked. That part of the EULA was been there since 2006. It doesn't even mean that they don't allow paid mods. It means they don't allow paid mods without their consent. The Skyrim paid mods have the consent in the first place. That's how the system works.

Let's not forget that they Tripwire launched paid mods themselves for KF1.

And look how similar the darn reactions it were!

Ventara

Majority don't like the paid mods, some think it's ok and a few others want to see how it plays out. MrOrange has had a lot going on so stepped down from doing the steam thread. MMBostones made the first one after he left while we waited on what exactly what was going on and morningbus made the april thread because it would be "funny". Jshackles as of now will be the maker of steam threads unless something changes.

As the concept is currently implemented? No.
As a concept in general? I think it could be a positive change if implemented well.

Personally, I can't see myself ever paying for mods at all, even with stuff I really like.

And I highly doubt this was done out of any goodwill towards the mod scene, but that's just my opinion.

Thanks for the info, guys. I'm not too hot about the idea of paid mods, either. Although the idea of mod creators being paid is nice, it'll just turn to a mess and bring the modding community down, imo.

Kagemusha

I'm surprised Galaxy isn't already out in the open given The Witcher 3 is mere weeks away.

speaking of galaxy stuff

i feel like using gog for indies and stuff while using steam for the aaa shit would be a nice balance

GOG Galaxy right now is just an installation client with no social features. It works, but it doesn't do anything. Desura may have more features at this point. In fact, I'm not sure why GOG didn't purchase Desura, take their technology, kill everyone and start over.

Y's VI and Not A Hero release next month on GOG. I"m getting those. Crawl, Worlds of Magic, Armello, Nekro and Satellite Reign will release once they come out of early access.

Warner, Paradox and Xseed joined the club this month. You can find Lego games, Transistor, Fear, Y's and Europa Universalis II for sale.

2K, Konami, Sega, Capcom, and Bethesda are the main holdouts. At a glance it looks like EA and Ubisoft haven't released anything on GOG in over a year.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I was bored...

bvjlly.png

Feel free to use it Ningen!

Oh wow, you didn't have to cut it out like that! I won't be making everyone's available until after the game comes out, but the original files will be available in some way if people want to make them their avatars (which would be so cool :3). Here's a downscale of the original art:

ilK0NvMI0gf7l.png

That's your freebie~

Jawmuncher

Oh wow, you didn't have to cut it out like that! I won't be making everyone's available until after the game comes out, but the original files will be available in some way if people want to make them their avatars (which would be so cool :3). Here's a downscale of the original art:

ilK0NvMI0gf7l.png

That's your freebie~

I'll def be using mine.

iosefe

ilK0NvMI0gf7l.png

That's your freebie~

are you saying we all have one?

Jawmuncher

ilK0NvMI0gf7l.png

That's your freebie~

How did you handle all the red heads anyway? Or did you just decide to go with it?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Before my tenure hosting the thread is up, I promise I'll update you all on my cable bill.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
are you saying we all have one?

Not everyone. I had to be realistic after I had 100 submissions for characters to the spreadsheet and I already had 3-5 people I'd picked out already when I started writing. There will be 25 GAFers with portraits/speaking roles, even if they're minor. I've tried to work in names of others just to get more people in, but that's going to be tricky to have make much sense when I start changing names. How will I know everyone will get who someone is supposed to be without an avatar?

Just a matter of how much I could feasibly write and how much I wanted to expect out of my artist.

How did you handle all the red heads anyway? Or did you just decide to go with it?

I'm not sure what you mean! Though, I think there are only two redheads on the cast in total.

I imagine my character submission was one of the pruned ones because I'm not anime enough, so I won't be using a VN avatar. :p

I pruned a lot of submissions that were anime-as-fuck, simply because I had no idea what to do with that stereotype/trope or I didn't think it would fit.

Anime people are weird~

Nzyme32

I wasn't trying to insult your intelligence; just explaining why the name is no longer an entirely accurate representation of what the service is.

They actually changed the name. They used to operate as Good Old Games and have now actually changed to GOG LTD so technically GOG no longer stands for Good Old Games in any way at all as it used to

iosefe

Not everyone. I had to be realistic after I had 100 submissions for characters to the spreadsheet and I already had 3-5 people I'd picked out already when I started writing. There will be 25 GAFers with portraits/speaking roles, even if they're minor. I've tried to work in names of others just to get more people in, but that's going to be tricky to have make much sense when I start changing names. How will I know everyone will get who someone is supposed to be without an avatar?

Just a matter of how much I could feasibly write and how much I wanted to expect out of my artist.

fair enough. i'm not begging though. i still appreciate my Tence-made avatar

>_>

i'm serious though

Fox318

A steam achievement didn't unlock for me.

Should I use Steam Achievement manager or are they still VAC banning people for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom