• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i just read about this whole GTX 970 lawsuit. does the 0.5 gigabyte running 80% slower really make that big of a difference?

I've been thinking about buying one.. but now..
It still performs at a high-end niveau. Very high even.
You could do lot worse.

Hm, lawsuit huh? If it ends with some excuse-freebie games then I'm all for it!

Purkake4

Banned
No love for their best work?

gfs_28782_1_2.jpg

Didn't think one of the first words I'll see in a new CoD announcement thread is "MOBA".

For those who have yet to read it only means unique characters with unique weapons and powers in MP. But that IGN journo probably scared a lot of people for a few seconds lol

Lomax

so i just read about this whole GTX 970 lawsuit. does the 0.5 gigabyte running 80% slower really make that big of a difference?

None of the benchmarks were suddenly made wrong by the revelation. That said, personally I feel like the time to buy a 970 was last fall, now it seems like waiting for a price cut or the next generation of cards is the smarter move.

Purkake4

Banned
Don't worry, when I'm rich I'll personally fund Heretic 3.

Take the new Wolfenstein(s) as a starting point and I'm right there with you.

Never managed to get around it. Played Hexen II but got nauseous.
Those 2D/3D shooters did that to me constantly :(
Hexen II is a different beast entirely, Heretic is built on the Doom engine and very motion sickness friendly. It's on steam, go check it out.

Ruruja

I must be the millionth user asking but it should be sufficient to copy-paste game-folder from "common" and appmanifest-files to another PC so that Steam recognizes? No need for using a dedicated program that way?

I remember doing something similar. Then you click Install and it'll find all the files and that should be it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

The way people post about the 970, you would think that that .5gb isn't even there at all.

*insert smug remark about 970 actually being a 3.5gb card here*

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
And once again I find myself at odds with the general reception in the Steam thread as BLOP III certainly tickles my fancy.

Also you know Treyarch are back in charge when you read this...

Hey, there are at least a few of us here you can keep company with. We're excited for another Treyarch COD because we've actually played them and not gleaned nondescript derisiveness off reddit.

Momentary

Banned
Holy crap. First time steppimg into a Gamestop in years. I finally LOOKED at the PS4 and it is huge from what i imagined. The RVZ02 isn't much bigger. PC form factor is really coming a long ways.

Went with a X1 controlled charge and play bundle.

Shadownet

Banned
The way people post about the 970, you would think that that .5gb isn't even there at all.

*insert smug remark about 970 actually being a 3.5gb card here*

So I got nothing to worry about? I should just get the 970?

Do you plan on using up all the 4GB of vram? If you're concrete on always running ultra settings or playing on a 1440p or higher monitor, it could turn out to be an issue.

I only have a 1080p monitor. I might one day upgrade to a 144hz monitor but I don't see myself going to 1440p, and I'm willing to compromise with some games on High settings at 60fps. I know even Ultra at 60 fps is hard to achieve.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

A 970 is still a solid choice for a single-GPU setup. If you intend to go the SLI route in the future, though, you're better off waiting a little while longer for the supposed 980 Ti or, if you must upgrade sooner rather than later, the 980.

It is a very powerful card and while having much value, still a bit pricey.

You also get The Witcher 3 for free.

I remember you having a 760. That is also a good card and should be able to carry you a while. Maybe that would be wiser. This fall new Nvidia cards should come out.

Turfster

Hey, there are at least a few of us here you can keep company with. We're excited for another Treyarch COD because we've actually played them and not gleaned nondescript derisiveness off reddit.

I played some BLOPS2 after having to try and get the fucking thing to work for hours on any PC in this building... and then the game basically played itself.
Nothx.

It is a very powerful card and while having much value, still a bit pricey.

You also get The Witcher 3 for free.

I got Far Cry 4.
Sadness.

Dr Dogg

Why did I look in that Return Character in Arkham Knight thread. 23rd June is ages away and I want it now!

Don't worry, when I'm rich I'll personally fund Heretic 3.

I struggle to think what long since dead title I'd resurrect if I came into a large windfall. Something horrid from the Specy days knowing me.

Well if that company is you, Stall and Nabs that's more than decent company to keep.

Shadownet

Banned
Yeah I have a GTX 760. What are we expecting in term of the new fall lineup? A revision of the GTX 970 and 980? or something completely major?

Grief.exe

From a theoretical standpoint, it is still a very good problem. In practice, not so much. The problem is whenever the card goes over that 3.5 GB line, the gameplay stutters.

None of the benchmarks were suddenly made wrong by the revelation. That said, personally I feel like the time to buy a 970 was last fall, now it seems like waiting for a price cut or the next generation of cards is the smarter move.

I would agree.

pahamrick

I'm finally going to be ordering a 970 tomorrow, 3.5 issue be damned. I'm looking forward to getting off this laptop and being able to game on my desktop again.

KingKong

is the 980TI, whenever it comes out, going to be a better value for performance/cost than a 970? I'm going to wait until after Windows 10 to build a new system so if I could get the new hotness that would be pretty sweet

Anybody having problems with Left 4 Dead? I've been reports about files being downloaded from servers that cause problems with people's games.

I think I may be a victim as my mouse controls have been reversed and I can't do a damn thing to fix it!

Please help!

I'm hoping for an 8GB 970Ti myself.

Wouldn't the GTX 970Ti and 980Ti cost around $600 or more?

There won't be a 970Ti. The latter will probably be more, unless Nvidia introduces a price cut for the 980 and 970.

is the 980TI, whenever it comes out, going to be a better value for performance/cost than a 970? I'm going to wait until after Windows 10 to build a new system so if I could get the new hotness that would be pretty sweet

Wouldn't bet on it.

Btw this is the latest rumor about the 980Ti : http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...th-geforce-gtx-980-metal-in-the-works-report/

inm8num2

If Raven did a Heretic or Hexen III, I'd jump for joy. Been craving that for so long, and the FPS genre could use something different.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I use a Silverstone Grandia

1265015376.jpeg

Fits nicely under my TV and is exact same size of an audio receiver. I think this is my case going forward. Really quiet and keeps things cool considering its small. Also allows very decent upgrades for most full sized parts.

Let me look into my crystal ball and grab those answers for you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom