• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that Konami is short of both Igarashi (yeah i know his 3D-games sucked) and Kojima Konami really hit rock bottom for me. At this point all I expect them to do is to go out of business at some point but I guess that the Phantom Pain money will manage to keep that corpse alive for some time.

But I'm really curious to see what franchise they are trying to resurrect at this years E3 now that the Silent Hill reboot is due for another reboot. A reboot I would really love to see is a Dark Souls-esque Castlevania because imo Dark Souls is what a proper 3D-Castlevania should feel like. But oh well, not going to happen. Maybe a generic FPS reboot of Contra? :D

they're dead, dead dead dead. if you get anything from here on out it'll be an Infinity-Ward-after-MW2 situation regarding Metal Gear games and maybe a Silent Hill game done by another western developer on the cheap that no one will buy, thus Konami can point and go "see, no one wants more silent hill!"

they're done, duder.

ArjanN

Exactly, a friend, who did the Kickstarter for this, he's thinking about uninstalling it. Both of us are huge point and click and LucasGames fan, but what I think of Broken Age is that the game is garbage. The only thing I really like, kudos to DF, are the graphics. Characters are well modeled and well animated, but in example some background locations are good and some are terrible.

This is nothing like old point and click, because there's a major thing missing: fun.
I have no fun during Act 1, I don't care about characters even if I'm partially interested into Vella's story, I must admit that.
Writing is awful. You just chat about nothing with all characters, all girls look really the same one, there's no character like Stan, in example, that shine. Take Monkey Island: even the pirates in Scumm Bar were written in a very good manner, making them different from other NPCs. And this applies pretty much to all LucasGames titles, excluding some of the old ones like Zak McKracken, Maniac Mansion and Loom, because expecially in the first two I mentioned there wasn't even a proper plot or proper dialogues, just a quick exchange of some lines, than go and achieve your task figuring out what to do. Zak and Maniac are more "Sierra-like" games, still are great example of point and click with a good replay value.

Broken Age is nothing like that.

It honestly feel pretty much exactly like an old Lucasarts game to me, except with toned down puzzles/inventory. Maybe it's different for me since I never came to these games for the puzzles anyway.

RS4-

Dirty Bomb is pretty good, worth a try.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dirty-bomb-beta-giveaway/1100-6426871/

starter pack giveaway might still be going on. Just sign up for the site. I got one on the second try. Have been in the beta for a while now, but this way got the extra credit and the 5 mercs unlocked.

here's the GAF thread: www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1018000

Well shit, giveaway ended. The gold (shit takes ages to earn) and unlocking the mercs would've been nice.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Unfortunately, it's just not possible to have rational discourse about this at the moment. The Skyrim modding thread is ridiculous.

The only way I think to have a rational discourse about the subject is to look at the hard facts.

whitney_receipts.gif

I compiled some data because we know a lot about these paid mods: we know how much they cost, what the revenue split is (25/30/45), and how many people have subscribed (ie paid) for each mod. Here are two tables, one is if everyone paid the minimum amount for each mod, one is if everyone paid the base amount. I'm going to assume that nobody is so excited about paying for mods that they opted to pay over the requested amount.

As of this morning:

So this is after approximately 4 days of sales.

It's obvious that some people are buying mods, but given the reaction from the community I'd say that $5,128 - $8,439 in "profit" that Valve made cost them quite a bit.

Dsyndrome

The only way I think to have a rational discourse about the subject is to look at the hard facts.

I compiled some data because we know a lot about these paid mods: we know how much they cost, what the revenue split is (25/30/45), and how many people have subscribed (ie paid) for each mod. Here are two tables, one is if everyone paid the minimum amount for each mod, one is if everyone paid the base amount. I'm going to assume that nobody is so excited about paying for mods that they opted to pay over the requested amount.

As of this morning:

So this is after approximately 4 days of sales.

It's obvious that some people are buying mods, but given the reaction from the community I'd say that $5,128 - $8,439 in "profit" that Valve made cost them quite a bit.
Is there any data for The Art of Fishing before it got pulled? That whole fiasco certainly isn't helping matters.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Skyrim's metacritic is in freefall.

Even their Steam review score has gone from 98% positive (previously one of the highest) to 84% as of right now. It's gone from "Overwhelmingly positive" to "Very positive".

The sad part is, I feel like at $5 a pop and Bethesda taking 70% of the sale - they could have made way more money just selling more copies of Skyrim over the weekend than the money they made on mods, especially if they used the huge home page background to promote the game rather than the mods themselves.

Is there any data for The Art of Fishing before it got pulled? That whole fiasco certainly isn't helping matters.

The last number I could find for it was 65 subscribers, but it got pulled pretty quickly after sales opened and wasn't present when I first started tracking this. If someone here actually owns it I'd be curious to see those numbers myself.

Shantom

Even their Steam review score has gone from 98% positive (previously one of the highest) to 84% as of right now. It's gone from "Overwhelmingly positive" to "Very positive".

The sad part is, I feel like at $5 a pop and Bethesda taking 70% of the sale - they could have made way more money just selling more copies of Skyrim over the weekend than the money they made on mods, especially if they used the huge home page background to promote the game rather than the mods themselves.

I agree. Enough people probably held off buying Skyrim this weekend because of the backlash that both Valve and Bethesda will have lost money.

Skyrim's went from the top 20 (18th ish) to outside the top 1000 (currently 1204th) according to https://steamtrayapi-steamtray.rhcloud.com/

chronomac

Bethesda and Valve split 75% of the revenue. Has it been explicitly stated anywhere how they're splitting that? I thought it was 25% to Valve (for their various costs) and 50% to Bethesda.

MUnited83

For you.
I agree. Enough people probably held off buying Skyrim this weekend because of the backlash that both Valve and Bethesda will have lost money.

Skyrim's went from the top 20 (18th ish) to outside the top 1000 (currently 1204th) according to https://steamtrayapi-steamtray.rhcloud.com/
Hardly. The backlash mostly comes from people that already own it in the first place. I dont think it impacted the sales much (just look at it on the top selling list)

jshackles

I also found this, not sure how I missed it before:

Xrm2WMl.png

So yeah, even Gabe Newell realizes that this program is not (yet) paying the dividends that they perhaps expected.

Bethesda and Valve split 75% of the revenue. Has it been explicitly stated anywhere how they're splitting that? I thought it was 25% to Valve (for their various costs) and 50% to Bethesda.

I'm not sure if anyone's said explicitly, I was basing my 30% figure off of what Valve typically charges for their other services. I believe the actual split is probably 25% modders / 25% Valve / 5% "community" (places like Nexus) / 45% Bethesda.

Still have my boxed copy of Ys 6, so I'm fine holding off on giving XSEED my money. I've bought too much other shit recently plus the unexpected expense of buying a new SSD.

Splash Damage is streaming in 30 mins. Will give away keys. Don't know if simple access or starter packs, but for anyone interested worth a try.

http://www.twitch.tv/splashdamageltd

I'm not sure if anyone's said explicitly, I was basing my 30% figure off of what Valve typically charges for their other services. I believe the actual split is probably 25% modders / 25% Valve / 5% "community" (places like Nexus) / 45% Bethesda.

The system works by presenting the mod author with a list of "Service Providers" when they go to upload their file. They're informed that they can choose to support none, one or more of these Service Providers and that any cut is taken from Valve's cut, and not from their cut. The cut percentage is 5%. Ergo, if a mod author does not select any Service Providers then the cut remains 25% to the mod author, 40% to Bethesda, 35% to Valve. If the mod author picks one or more Service Providers then the cut changes to 25% to the mod author, 40% to Bethesda, 30% to Valve, 5% shared between one or more Service Providers.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/news/12459/?

jshackles

I was going to link you to this if you didn't find it.

Also, his $10k figure seems in line with "Valve's take" before paying the modders themselves (which, to date anyway, at least 4 of these mods probably haven't made enough to receive a payout).

Even the fact that the CEO had to do a makeshift "calm the fuck down guys" AMA on Reddit shows that this program isn't really meeting their financial expectations thus far.

How does email cost a million dollars exactly? Serious question, I'm pretty ignorant on these matters, and you're a technical guy so you'd know.

The technical side of email itself is pretty inexpensive (servers to process and store the messages, archiving, bandwidth, electricity, etc) but the huge expense comes from paying people (and in Valve's case these are very well paid professionals) to sort, organize, and properly respond to these email messages.

Cheers for that, good to know.

Cross-Post from DSFix-OT because this thread is more alive.
Help guys!
----------------
Hello good people. I have a big problem with dsfix on my new machine.
It crashes with in-game AA=ON. Always.
I played with the similar settings (only quality lower) on my laptop without any problems. But on my new PC constant crashes (i5-4690/970). Power is not the problem.

This is my .ini. I left parameters which I didn't change out.
I tried so many options in the .ini. Disabled AA, disabled borderless, disabled skip-intro and much more.

But the problem is always the same, no matter the changes.
The game always starts into the menu, no problem there. But I can actually start playing the game only with in-game AA setting off.

In that mode, I can dis-/enable AO and even AA! I can see jaggies coming and going when pressing the AA hotkey. Even though I disabled AA in the game settings.
When I close to menu, change AA to ON and load into game again I get a crash all the time. All the time.

I have no clue anymore what to do! I want DoF. Help please guys.
Here a small webm showing another weirdness. When getting in the game by disabling in-game AA I pressed the AA hotkey and disabled dsfix-AA. Then went back into main menu and enabled in-game AA. And to my surprise the game actually loaded! BUT with super weirdness. In that state when I press any hotkey (AA, AO, DoF) the game instantly crashes. Take a look at the webm.

http://a.pomf.se/wdcqdl.webm

Code:
###############################################################################
# Graphics Options

# internal rendering resolution of the game
# higher values will decrease performance
renderWidth 1366
renderHeight 768

# The display width/height
# 0 means use the same resolution as renderWidth/Height
# (use for downscaling - if in doubt, leave at 0)
presentWidth 1366
presentHeight 768

############# Anti Aliasing

# AA toggle and quality setting
# 0 = off (best performance, worst IQ)
# 1 = low 
# 2 = medium
# 3 = high
# 4 = ultra (worst performance, best IQ)
aaQuality 3

# AA type
# either "SMAA" or "FXAA"
aaType SMAA

############# Ambient Occlusion

# Enable and set the strength of the SSAO effect (all 3 settings have the same performance impact!)
# 0 = off
# 1 = low
# 2 = medium
# 3 = high
ssaoStrength 3

# Set SSAO scale
# 1 = high quality (default)
# 2 = lower quality, lower impact on performance
# 3 = lowest quality, lowest impact on performance
ssaoScale 1

# Determine the type of AO used
# "VSSAO" = Volumetric SSAO (default, only option pre-1.9)
# "HBAO" = Horizon-Based Ambient Occlusion
# "SCAO" = VSSAO + HBAO
# "VSSAO2" = Volumetric SSAO with more samples (tweaked by Asmodean)
# VSSAO and  HBAO types have a slightly different effect. and similar performance
# SCAO combines both, with a higher performance impact
# VSSAO2 is generally more accurate, but also requires more performance
ssaoType SCAO

############# Depth of field

# Depth of Field resolution override, possible values:
# 0 = no change from default (DoF pyramid starts at 512x360)
# 540 = DoF pyramid starts at 960x540
# 810 = DoF pyramid starts at 1440x810
# 1080 = DoF pyramid starts at 1920x1080
# 2160 = DoF pyramid starts at 3840x2160
# do NOT set this to the same value as your vertical rendering resolution!
dofOverrideResolution 0

# Depth of Field scaling override (NOT RECOMMENDED)
# 0 = DoF scaling enabled (default, recommended)
# 1 = DoF scaling disabled (sharper, worse performance, not as originally intended)
disableDofScaling 0

# Depth of field additional blur
# allows you to use high DoF resolutions and still get the originally intended effect
# suggested values:
# o (off) at default DoF resolution
# 0 or 1 at 540 DoF resolution
# 1 or 2 above that
# 3 or 4 at 2160 DoF resolution (if you're running a 680+)
dofBlurAmount 0

############# Framerate

# Enable variable framerate (up to 60)
# NOTE:
# - this requires in-memory modification of game code, and may get you banned from GFWL
# - there may be unintended side-effects in terms of gameplay
# - you need a very powerful system (especially CPU) in order to maintain 60 FPS
# - in some  instances, collision detection may fail. Avoid sliding down ladders
# Use this at your own risk!
# 0 = no changes to game code
# 1 = unlock the frame rate
unlockFPS 1

# FPS limit, only used with unlocked framerate
# do not set this much higher than 60, this will lead to various issues with the engine
FPSlimit 60

# FPS threshold
# DSfix will dynamically disable AA if your framerate drops below this value 
#  and re-enable it once it has normalized (with a bit of hysteresis thresholding)
FPSthreshold 20

############# Filtering

# texture filtering override
# 0 = no change 
# 1 = enable some bilinear filtering (use only if you need it!)
# 2 = full AF override (may degrade performance)
# if in doubt, leave this at 0
filteringOverride 2

# Window & Mouse Cursor Options

# borderless fullscreen mode 
# make sure to select windowed mode in the game settings for this to work!
# 0 = disable
# 1 = enable
borderlessFullscreen 1

# disable cursor at startup
# 0 = no change
# 1 = off at start
disableCursor 1

# capture cursor (do not allow it to leave the window)
# 0 = don't capture
# 1 = capture
# (this also works if the cursor is not visible)
captureCursor 0

# Texture Override Options

# enables texture dumping
# you *only* need this if you want to create your own override textures
# textures will be dumped to "dsfix\tex_override\[hash].tga"
enableTextureDumping 0

# enables texture override
# textures in "dsfix\tex_override\[hash].png" will replace the corresponding originals
# will cause a small slowdown during texture loading!
enableTextureOverride 0

# Other Options

# skip the intro logos
# this should now be slightly more stable, but should still be
# the first thing to disable in case you experience any problems
skipIntro 1

# change the screenshot directory
# default: . (current directory)
# example: C:\Users\Peter\Pictures
# directory must exist!
screenshotDir .

# override the in-game language
# none = no override
# en-GB = English, fr = French, it = Italian, de = German, es = Spanish
# ko = Korean, zh-tw = Chinese, pl = Polish, ru = Russian
# this does not work in Windows XP!
overrideLanguage en-GB

# Dinput dll chaining
# if you want to use another dinput8.dll wrapper together
# with DSfix, rename it (e.g. "dinputwrapper.dll") and put the new name here
dinput8dllWrapper none
# dsmfix.dll

# D3D adapter override
# -1 = no override
# N = use adapter N
# this setting is for multiple (non-SLI/crossfire) GPUs
# everyone else should leave it at -1
d3dAdapterOverride -1

# Log level - 0 to 11, higher numbers mean more logging
# only enable for debugging
logLevel 0

# The settings below are not yet ready to use!!               

# You can only set either forceFullscreen or forceWindowed (or neither)
# 0 = off, 1 = on
forceWindowed 1
forceFullscreen 0

# turn on/off Vsync
enableVsync 1
# adjust display refresh rate in fullscreen mode - this is NOT linked to FPS!
fullscreenHz 60

Xanathus

The technical side of email itself is pretty inexpensive (servers to process and store the messages, archiving, bandwidth, electricity, etc) but the huge expense comes from paying people (and in Valve's case these are very well paid professionals) to sort, organize, and properly respond to these email messages.
You do realize that this is Valve we're talking about, the one with almost non-existent customer support.

jshackles

You do realize that this is Valve we're talking about, the one with almost non-existent customer support.

Not all of these messages are going to be from customers. Sure, the more angry and outrageous ones are, but I imagine they're also getting tons of email from the press (both gaming and non-gaming alike) as well as emails from other publishers, other modders, copyright holders, and who knows what else that may be important.

Like any business, they'll have a workflow in place that will require them to respond to a good number of these things for publicity, business, and legal reasons. Then they can ignore all the customer-generated hate mail.

But keep in mind also that they don't just have a single inbox where all of this stuff is getting dumped - it's spread out and has probably reached every mailbox in their organization. Which means everyone that works at Valve is probably dealing with sorting through these emails and finding the important ones that require a response.

Kiru

Help guys!
----------------
I never played it. But didn't you have to read this all the time when people used DSfix ? "TURN OFF INGAME ANTI ALIASING"

ibcHNVVvjLzWRG.gif

z508ee3a51da14.gif

You gotta disable Anti Aliasing in the game options. Says so right in the DSfix ini file when you're tweaking it.

Turfster

Bundlestars Surprise Attack bundle
Price: 2.24€/2$ (Really?)
  • Zombie Tycoon 2: Brainhov's Revenge
  • Ironclad Tactics
  • MIND: Path to Thalamus
  • Postmortem: One Must Die
  • Megabyte Punch
  • Huntsman: The Orphanage
  • Party of Sin
  • Critical Mass

I was just about to say, couldn't they simply mass-delete them, pretend nothing was wrong, and save the million dollars? It wouldn't be functionally different from the course they actually took...right?

MUnited83

For you.
Help guys!
----------------
I played with the similar settings (only quality lower) on my laptop without any problems. But on my new PC constant crashes (i5-4690/970). Power is not the problem.

I tried so many options in the .ini. Disabled AA, disabled borderless, disabled skip-intro and much more.

The game always starts into the menu, no problem there. But I can actually start playing the game only with in-game AA setting off.

In that mode, I can dis-/enable AO and even AA! I can see jaggies coming and going when pressing the AA hotkey. Even though I disabled AA in the game settings.
When I close to menu, change AA to ON and load into game again I get a crash all the time. All the time.

Here a small webm showing another weirdness. When getting in the game by disabling in-game AA I pressed the AA hotkey and disabled dsfix-AA. Then went back into main menu and enabled in-game AA. And to my surprise the game actually loaded! BUT with super weirdness. In that state when I press any hotkey (AA, AO, DoF) the game instantly crashes. Take a look at the webm.

http://a.pomf.se/wdcqdl.webm

Code:
# Graphics Options

# internal rendering resolution of the game
renderWidth 1366
renderHeight 768

# The display width/height
# 0 means use the same resolution as renderWidth/Height
# (use for downscaling - if in doubt, leave at 0)
presentWidth 1366
presentHeight 768

############# Anti Aliasing

# AA toggle and quality setting
# 0 = off (best performance, worst IQ)
# 1 = low 
# 2 = medium
# 3 = high
# 4 = ultra (worst performance, best IQ)
aaQuality 3

# AA type
# either "SMAA" or "FXAA"
aaType SMAA

############# Ambient Occlusion

# Enable and set the strength of the SSAO effect (all 3 settings have the same performance impact!)
# 0 = off
# 1 = low
# 2 = medium
# 3 = high
ssaoStrength 3

# Set SSAO scale
# 1 = high quality (default)
# 2 = lower quality, lower impact on performance
# 3 = lowest quality, lowest impact on performance
ssaoScale 1

# Determine the type of AO used
# "VSSAO" = Volumetric SSAO (default, only option pre-1.9)
# "HBAO" = Horizon-Based Ambient Occlusion
# "SCAO" = VSSAO + HBAO
# "VSSAO2" = Volumetric SSAO with more samples (tweaked by Asmodean)
# VSSAO and  HBAO types have a slightly different effect. and similar performance
# SCAO combines both, with a higher performance impact
# VSSAO2 is generally more accurate, but also requires more performance
ssaoType SCAO

############# Depth of field

# Depth of Field resolution override, possible values:
# 0 = no change from default (DoF pyramid starts at 512x360)
# 540 = DoF pyramid starts at 960x540
# 810 = DoF pyramid starts at 1440x810
# 1080 = DoF pyramid starts at 1920x1080
# 2160 = DoF pyramid starts at 3840x2160
# do NOT set this to the same value as your vertical rendering resolution!
dofOverrideResolution 0

# Depth of Field scaling override (NOT RECOMMENDED)
# 0 = DoF scaling enabled (default, recommended)
# 1 = DoF scaling disabled (sharper, worse performance, not as originally intended)
disableDofScaling 0

# Depth of field additional blur
# allows you to use high DoF resolutions and still get the originally intended effect
# suggested values:
# o (off) at default DoF resolution
# 0 or 1 at 540 DoF resolution
# 1 or 2 above that
# 3 or 4 at 2160 DoF resolution (if you're running a 680+)
dofBlurAmount 0

############# Framerate

# Enable variable framerate (up to 60)
# NOTE:
# - this requires in-memory modification of game code, and may get you banned from GFWL
# - there may be unintended side-effects in terms of gameplay
# - you need a very powerful system (especially CPU) in order to maintain 60 FPS
# - in some  instances, collision detection may fail. Avoid sliding down ladders
# Use this at your own risk!
# 0 = no changes to game code
# 1 = unlock the frame rate
unlockFPS 1

# FPS limit, only used with unlocked framerate
# do not set this much higher than 60, this will lead to various issues with the engine
FPSlimit 60

# FPS threshold
# DSfix will dynamically disable AA if your framerate drops below this value 
#  and re-enable it once it has normalized (with a bit of hysteresis thresholding)
FPSthreshold 20

############# Filtering

# texture filtering override
# 0 = no change 
# 1 = enable some bilinear filtering (use only if you need it!)
# 2 = full AF override (may degrade performance)
# if in doubt, leave this at 0
filteringOverride 2

# Window & Mouse Cursor Options

# borderless fullscreen mode 
# make sure to select windowed mode in the game settings for this to work!
# 0 = disable
# 1 = enable
borderlessFullscreen 1

# disable cursor at startup
# 0 = no change
# 1 = off at start
disableCursor 1

# capture cursor (do not allow it to leave the window)
# 0 = don't capture
# 1 = capture
# (this also works if the cursor is not visible)
captureCursor 0

# Texture Override Options

# enables texture dumping
# you *only* need this if you want to create your own override textures
# textures will be dumped to "dsfixtex_override[hash].tga"
enableTextureDumping 0

# enables texture override
# textures in "dsfixtex_override[hash].png" will replace the corresponding originals
# will cause a small slowdown during texture loading!
enableTextureOverride 0

# Other Options

# skip the intro logos
# this should now be slightly more stable, but should still be
# the first thing to disable in case you experience any problems
skipIntro 1

# change the screenshot directory
# default: . (current directory)
# example: C:UsersPeterPictures
# directory must exist!
screenshotDir .

# override the in-game language
# none = no override
# en-GB = English, fr = French, it = Italian, de = German, es = Spanish
# ko = Korean, zh-tw = Chinese, pl = Polish, ru = Russian
# this does not work in Windows XP!
overrideLanguage en-GB

# Dinput dll chaining
# if you want to use another dinput8.dll wrapper together
# with DSfix, rename it (e.g. "dinputwrapper.dll") and put the new name here
dinput8dllWrapper none
# dsmfix.dll

# D3D adapter override
# -1 = no override
# N = use adapter N
# this setting is for multiple (non-SLI/crossfire) GPUs
# everyone else should leave it at -1
d3dAdapterOverride -1

# Log level - 0 to 11, higher numbers mean more logging
# only enable for debugging
logLevel 0

# The settings below are not yet ready to use!!               

# You can only set either forceFullscreen or forceWindowed (or neither)
# 0 = off, 1 = on
forceWindowed 1
forceFullscreen 0

# turn on/off Vsync
enableVsync 1
# adjust display refresh rate in fullscreen mode - this is NOT linked to FPS!
fullscreenHz 60
never use the ingame AA. Like ever. Its broken

Help guys!
----------------

ibcHNVVvjLzWRG.gif

There's a reason this gif exists

I never played it. But didn't you have to read this all the time when people used DSfix ? "TURN OFF INGAME ANTI ALIASING"

ibcHNVVvjLzWRG.gif

z508ee3a51da14.gif
Holy smokes I'm an idiot
I read that so many times but in my head things went the other way. What a brainfart.

Damn, I'm seriously baffled how dumb I am.

garath

Help guys!
----------------

Was going to reply, saw others did, will reply anyways.

It's been ages since I played original DS with DSfix but I'm pretty sure there are explicit instructions somewhere to disable the in-game AA else the game just won't work. Seems in line with your experiences. Use the AA through DSfix.

Turfster

Daily Blackguards Franchise Bundle 75% off, Blackguards 2 33% off separate, so even if you already own the first one, the bundle is still a better deal.
Weeklong updated, EA devaluing their properties again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom