• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozium

ninty gonna buy the silent hill and metal gear IPs from konami..

wait until e3 when norman reedus and kojima make an appearance on the nintendo stream

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I kind of ran the numbers and with 6 people working 4 hours overtime a day, it would take around 27 weeks to go through a million dollar backlog.

Using basic data from glassdoor.com on Valve (which I realize is probably highly inaccurate and in no way gives a clear picture of total every day operating costs) let's do some math.

Given all of the available data (for a total of 39 employees) we can see that the average annual pay per employee in that pool is $140,572.05. Let's say for the sake of argument that those numbers are representative of the entire company, although I assure you that's not the case.

There are 251 working days this year in the US. Of course we all know that Valve takes a week long paid vacation every year, so we'll subtract 5 and assume they are all expected to work 246 days in the year. This means that, on average, Valve pays their employees $571.43 each per day, or $71.42 per hour.

This means that to cover a $1,000,000 expense for sorting and responding to email involving this internet meltdown it would take approximately 14,001.68 man hours to accomplish. That seems like a lot, but this isn't something that's being done by just one person. Assuming that Valve has 400 employees who are dealing with this issue (as I mentioned before, this decision has kind of leaked into a lot of areas at Valve) then that's 35 hours per person involved.

Since Gabe himself (who I assure you makes more than the average Valve employee) took several hours out of his day on a Saturday to do PR for Valve, that would drive the average number of hours per person even lower. Even if that doesn't factor into his off-the-cuff calculation, it's still not unreasonable to think that the company as a whole probably pulled together for at least a week collectively to a) make this happen in the first place and b) deal with the backlash afterwards.

Of course, all of these numbers are pulled basically out of thin air, and my guess is that Gabe's number was probably just the rounded figure he has in his head that he knows to be true: Valve probably spends $1m or more a week in payroll, and this issue will probably be most people's priority for at least a week.

Ozium

Did we mention Space Marine got cards?

tradingcard
tradingcard
tradingcard
Cards Alert
tradingcard
tradingcard
tradingcard

Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine got cards.

Sony i could see picking up silent hill. They still have Toyama over there, either working on Gravity Rush 2 or not. I'm sure that after 2 Siren games and 1 remake, he'll happily work on the series he left behind and want to do it justice.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Hey, I could start tweeting, too.

- The internal monologue of morningbus before the great collapse.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
why all this konami talk all of a sudden?

basically metal gear solid fans would forget how to breathe if kojima didn't tell them that holding your breath was a conspiracy by the freemasons and haliburton to overthrow the government of tanzania

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
This warms my cold heart :)

rrhqawnv.png

Kerbal 1.0 is out!

Today's been a hell of a day for Steam. KSP goes to 1.0 and now Dirt Rally leaps into early access and actually looks worth buying. In fact I'm seriously considering buying it for the $30 even though I typically don't buy early access games.

And the Scandinavia expansion comes out real soon for Euro Truck Sim 2, which I'm buying day one.

I need more free time....

MUnited83

For you.
oh, I'm sorry - I wasn't aware I'm in the news-only-and-absolutely-nothing-else steam thread

oh, wait ...
I mean, you're the one that just said "you don't want me to post news?" as the defense for posting the Fork Parker tweet. And now you just invalidated your first point by admitting that what you just posted isnt news :p.

it's sounding more and more like double fine dropped the ball with Act 2 of Broken Age. Damn, i had held off for so long and been hearing so many good things about Act 1 that it would stink if they screwed this up.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
At least you don't make a new thread in Gaming with every tweet.

Clearly this man is asking for a single thread for all gaming retweets.

"Gaming Tweets You Must Repeat |OT| RT: Gaming Tweets You Must Repe" it shall be titled.

And the children -- oh the children! -- will eat strudel and dance!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Clearly this man is asking for a single thread for all gaming retweets.

"Gaming Tweets You Must Repeat |OT| RT: Gaming Tweets You Must Repe" it shall be titled.

And the children -- oh the children! -- will eat strudel and dance!

Well, there's already one for that, the lashman Retweet OT. It's just that nobody can see it or find it via search~

At least that's better than talking about Origin, and games that are only on Origin.

Nah. Origin games are games that you can only play via Origin. I can tolerate that, especially since Origin isn't big enough to have it's own thread.

GOG, on the otherhand? Witcher 3? Yeah, it's on Steam too. Ys 6? Coming to Steam too.

Blackguards 1 was fun. I may pick up the bundle just for Blackguards 2.

I debated this for a minute before just saying "I'll wait for Blackguards 2 to be in a bundle or to be 75% off itself, since I haven't even finished Blackguards".

Arthea

Nah. Origin games are games that you can only play via Origin. I can tolerate that, especially since Origin isn't big enough to have it's own thread.

GOG, on the otherhand? Witcher 3? Yeah, it's on Steam too. Ys 6? Coming to Steam too.

what? That didn't even make sense.
There are games that are on Origin and steam, also there games that are only on gog. What exactly gog did to you? I don't remember them praising Strider or even selling it.
If anything gog compliments steam, because it sells drm free games, while Origin wants to replace steam.

Ozium

what? That didn't even make sense.
There are games that are on Origin and steam, also there games that are only on gog. What exactly gog did to you? I don't remember them praising Strider or even selling it.
If anything gog compliments steam, because it sells drm free games, while Origin wants to replace steam.

look at the title of the thread

also, fuck gog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom