• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

chronomac

These stuck out, among other things:

Despite all that, it’s still too small in our eyes. Only 8% of the Skyrim audience has ever used a mod. Less than 1% has ever made one.

and

Many have questioned the split of the revenue, and we agree this is where it gets debatable. We’re not suggesting it’s perfect, but we can tell you how it was arrived at.

First Valve gets 30%. This is standard across all digital distributions services and we think Valve deserves this. No debate for us there.

The remaining is split 25% to the modder and 45% to us. We ultimately decide this percentage, not Valve.

Is this the right split? There are valid arguments for it being more, less, or the same. It is the current industry standard, having been successful in both paid and free games. After much consultation and research with Valve, we decided it’s the best place to start.

This is not some money grabbing scheme by us. Even this weekend, when Skyrim was free for all, mod sales represented less than 1% of our Steam revenue.

They finally found out about it:
CTM0s9V.png

Ha. They should've known about it when I explained to support what their problem was last Summer (and ask that they remove my market ban, so I could sell cards from the games I was buying and participate in the meta with the proceeds).

Well most disagree and hated 3 because it was nothing like 1 and 2 (and terrible in general).

Oh yes. The rule of "the majority opinion is correct, because it's the majority". Oh, how I missed this place.

Grief.exe

Despite all that, it’s still too small in our eyes. Only 8% of the Skyrim audience has ever used a mod. Less than 1% has ever made one.

and

Many have questioned the split of the revenue, and we agree this is where it gets debatable. We’re not suggesting it’s perfect, but we can tell you how it was arrived at.

First Valve gets 30%. This is standard across all digital distributions services and we think Valve deserves this. No debate for us there.

The remaining is split 25% to the modder and 45% to us. We ultimately decide this percentage, not Valve.

Is this the right split? There are valid arguments for it being more, less, or the same. It is the current industry standard, having been successful in both paid and free games. After much consultation and research with Valve, we decided it’s the best place to start.

This is not some money grabbing scheme by us. Even this weekend, when Skyrim was free for all, mod sales represented less than 1% of our Steam revenue.

I didn't think about this when starting the Wolfenstein 2009 campaign. Bethesda has bigger fish to fry right now and probably thousands of social media posts and emails to sort through.

Turfster

The Way of the Pixelated Fist keys now available for IGS

I didn't think about this when starting the Wolfenstein 2009 campaign. Bethesda has bigger fish to fry right now and probably thousands of social media posts and emails to sort through.

Maybe they can use it as a rabbit they pull out of the hat.
"Look over here, we're putting Wolfenstein back up! See how nice we are!"
</cynicism>

and

If Valve needs their 30% then I would say 30 to Valve, 30 to Bethesda and 40 to the modder is more fair.

Jawmuncher

is every bit as good as Arthea has been saying.

2.5 hours for the whole game (and 100% achievements), come on people, there's no valid excuse not to play it!

Valid Excuse - I don't like puzzle games.
Were you counting Episodes as one game or multiple. Something like Life Is Strange for example.

Phinor

8% of Skyrim audience ever using a mod puts things into perspective unless it's a PR spin ie. they mean among all platforms, out of the 25+ million people, 8% have used Steam Workshop specifically to download a mod. I've used like five mods on Skyrim but never once downloaded anything through the Workshop.

Dr Dogg

Or they might want divert attention from this whole fiasco and try to restore goodwill towards the 'community'. What better way than to bring back some classics from the dead. Ah who the fuck am I kidding, it's ZeniMax. They make Scrooge McDuck look like the world's greatest philanthropist.

chronomac

If Valve needs their 30% then I would say 30 to Valve, 30 to Bethesda and 40 to the modder is more fair.

I would too, as would most. It'll be interesting to see how other publishers handle it. If they're smart, they'll even out the shares and it'll calm the fire some.

Regardless, and this might not be the most popular opinion, I think Bethesda coming out and saying, "Hey, this is on us and not Valve" was a good move.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I'll clarify that Valve gets 30% if the modder decides against setting aside 5% that goes to notable mod-centric service providers like Nexus, otherwise it's 25%. I had suspected the earlier reported base figure of 35% was a little off as it meant Valve was taking, at minimum, 5% more revenue on mods than it does on community items.

zkylon

zkylewd

and

i don't think anyone would argue for bethesda getting more lol

goober

I've been having some problems with Steam. I got a new laptop with Windows 8 and Steam updates every time on start up.

Also, when I'm playing a game, it switches to desktop after a while of playing. The game I'm playing is minimized and can be played again but it's just kind of annoying. What could be causing that? Any solutions?

Thanks.

Posted this earlier and didn't get a response. Anyone have a solution?

chronomac

Posted this earlier and didn't get a response. Anyone have a solution?

If it's updating once a day, you might be signed up for beta updates. If it's every single time, multiple times a day, something else might be up. I would try re-installing it.

Do you see any extra icon in your taskbar when the game's minimized? Something opening up might be triggering that, but it's just a guess.

Dsyndrome

92% of people don't mod PC Skyrim? That's the biggest reason to even have Skyrim on PC. Why not just get it on 360 if that's the case? Seeing as how the unofficial patches and SkyUI count as mods, that seems ridiculously low.

Edit: Or does that include consoles as well?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

My favorite part:

Even now, at 25% and early sales data, we’re looking at some modders making more money than the studio members whose content is being edited.

Which is something that not a lot of people are realizing although it's being hotly debated in the dedicated thread for this. Game industry employees (here referred to as "studio members") don't really get paid very much. The fact that modders could be given only 25% of the revenue from these mods and still make more individually than people on the original team did is... kinda sad.

Kudos to them for coming out and saying that they're taking the lion's share though.

Amzin

92% of people don't mod PC Skyrim? That's the biggest reason to even have Skyrim on PC. Why not just get it on 360 if that's the case? Seeing as how the unofficial patches and SkyUI count as mods, that seems ridiculously low.

Edit: Or does that include consoles as well?

It's super unlikely that they can track mods from outside the Steam workshop without a huge effort. That being said, looking at numbers on the Nexus and seeing mods downloaded almost 10m times is pretty telling. If that 10m represented ALL Skyrim PC players, that would mean that there are what, 120m of them? That is a pretty insanely huge number.

Workshop has always been an afterthought for modding Bethesda games and it's ignorant or misleading of them to try and claim otherwise.

chronomac

It's super unlikely that they can track mods from outside the Steam workshop without a huge effort. That being said, looking at numbers on the Nexus and seeing mods downloaded almost 10m times is pretty telling. If that 10m represented ALL Skyrim PC players, that would mean that there are what, 120m of them? That is a pretty insanely huge number.

SteamSpy claims about 25 million copies are owned on Steam, for what it's worth.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Ok that's what I did last year as well. was just curious because I couldn't find your post in that thread.

I started out strong this year but have hit a bit of slump with a lot of other things I have going on in my life at the moment. I've finished 5 games this month, but the last time I finished a game on the PC was on Feb 21st.

I'm still at 27 games finished so far this year, so I'm pretty sure I'll finish the challenge at least.

SteamSpy claims about 25 million copies are owned on Steam, for what it's worth.

Actually, that number is greatly skewed because of the free weekend.

Amzin

So even if we assume that a mod has been downloaded multiple times by a lot of people, taking say... 30% of the uses off, that would still leave us with over 6 million users of SkyUI. Which is 70% of the Steam Skyrim population. Even if I'm being preposterously generous with those number, you cut it in half down to 35% of the Steam Skyrim players. That's still over 4 times as many as the 8% Bethesda threw out there.

Dsyndrome

So even if we assume that a mod has been downloaded multiple times by a lot of people, taking say... 30% of the uses off, that would still leave us with over 6 million users of SkyUI. Which is 70% of the Steam Skyrim population. Even if I'm being preposterously generous with those number, you cut it in half down to 35% of the Steam Skyrim players. That's still over 4 times as many as the 8% Bethesda threw out there.

Even if the 8% included console owners, how many of those people would mod if it was available on consoles?

Most people in the other thread are raging about the percentage split, I just think it's disingenuous to say only 8% mod, especially with no clarifiers.

Can i still get drops from CSGO? Or is there a new "mission" I have to pay to unlock? I bought operation whatever a while ago but it looks like it is over

madjoki

Can i still get drops from CSGO? Or is there a new "mission" I have to pay to unlock? I bought operation whatever a while ago but it looks like it is over

Afaik, Mission drops are separate. Chrome 2 Case is regular drop.

I got one last week and I haven't ever bought mission pass.

Jawmuncher

No, and I did finish a few episodic games this year (Cognition, TWAU, Walking Dead S2). Each of these was a single entry.

Second page, same as last year.

I started out strong this year but have hit a bit of slump with a lot of other things I have going on in my life at the moment. I've finished 5 games this month, but the last time I finished a game on the PC was on Feb 21st.

I'm still at 27 games finished so far this year, so I'm pretty sure I'll finish the challenge at least.

Actually, that number is greatly skewed because of the free weekend.

Just tallied all my stuff. Sitting at 32 games myself
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=161821267&postcount=1554

Unexpectedly winning GTA slowed me down since I had some shorter titles to work on. But it's so fun I don't mind. Should be able to work back up on some actual backlog inbetween beating it and before Witcher 3 comes out.

Shadownet

Banned
B
My honest tip from my research. MSI.

All great games really. I am particular towards Mad Max since Batman/Witcher are more of the same. Mad Max is something new and we know Avalanche knows how to make a fun open-world.
What? Lol how are Batman/Witcher the same?

I mean, from the Mad Max trailer. It seem like the combat is more like Batman.

Witcher is an entire different beast. Mad Max is open world right? I wonder if its more like Batman open world or even bigger like Witcher 3.

I went EVGA, but a backplate can help temps by 1-2 degrees since it sort of acts like a passive cooler for the vram chips on the back of the card from what I've read.
How are you enjoying EVGA version so far? Any complain?

What? Lol how are Batman/Witcher the same?

I mean, from the Mad Max trailer. It seem like the combat is more like Batman.

Witcher is an entire different beast. Mad Max is open world right? I wonder if its more like Batman open world or even bigger like Witcher 3.

He meant that Batman is more Batman and Witcher is more Witcher. Not that Batman = Witcher.
However, he forgot to downgrade Batman for the heavy incorporation of the Batmobile.

Dr Dogg

I'm a frothing at the mouth, slobbering, EVGA fanboy but I wouldn't touch one of their 970's with a bargepole bar the hideous reference model they do or their remodelled FTW+.

pahamrick

Don't have it yet, but it should be in tomorrow or Wednesday. I mainly went with EVGA because NewEgg has the SSC version on sale for $335 with the back plate free, and the only difference between the FTW+ version of the 970 and the SSC was the FTW+ had the back plate factory installed and it has a slightly higher factory overclock.

I can post some impressions I have of it once I get it installed and run some benchmarks.

jshackles

I really should go and update my post with the stuff I've played since my last update, but I tend to do a couple bulk updates rather than update per-game.

Since I started doing the challenge early last year, I've gotten into the habit of chronicling my adventures immediately, usually while the credits are rolling. There are a lot of games I've been putting a lot of time into lately and it seems I might finish them all about the same time, which is weird.

Since starting the challenge though I've stuck with a lot of games that I wouldn't have otherwise and I'm glad for that. It's a good way to clear out the backlog.

Don't have it yet, but it should be in tomorrow or Wednesday. I mainly went with EVGA because NewEgg has the SSC version on sale for $335 with the back plate free, and the only difference between the FTW+ version of the 970 and the SSC was the FTW+ had the back plate factory installed and it has a slightly higher factory overclock.

I can post some impressions I have of it once I get it installed and run some benchmarks.

I got SSC version from EVGA directly when it first came out and got the back plate free from them like a month later

hohoXD123

For the poor souls who have yet to play this amazing game...

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (hohoXD123, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Brothers A Tale Of Two Sons -- MB-4823A628700F22DA - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN. 4 entrants total.

t1430184950z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom