• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Bethesda updated their earlier blog post:

Update: After discussion with Valve, and listening to our community, paid mods are being removed from Steam Workshop. Even though we had the best intentions, the feedback has been clear – this is not a feature you want. Your support means everything to us, and we hear you.

I mean this issue is going to come up again, they're just not going to make the same mistakes.

Done properly, there is potential for paid mods. But it's better to just completely rescind the feature for now than try and publicly retool it after the enormous backlash.

There's more to be elucidated upon, but I'll leave it at that.

Vamphuntr

DAMN! Should have never download that damn Heavensward benchmark. I can't go back to an MMO man.

I liked what I played of the vanilla FFXIV and played for about a month and half. Basically played all the content available for my class and reached max level. The only new stuff to do was the "extreme" difficulty missions that were painfully frustrating or grinding items which felt more like a chore.

Not falling for Heavensward.

What? Lol how are Batman/Witcher the same?

I mean, from the Mad Max trailer. It seem like the combat is more like Batman.

Witcher is an entire different beast. Mad Max is open world right? I wonder if its more like Batman open world or even bigger like Witcher 3.
He meant that Batman is more Batman and Witcher is more Witcher. Not that Batman = Witcher.
However, he forgot to downgrade Batman for the heavy incorporation of the Batmobile.
^^ Frost knows me well :)

Holy... Smokes...
Was not expecting Valve going back AT ALL. Surprised at the speed. Feels kinda good foreseeing that initial huge backlash is very effective.

Were they really shocked by the backlash? Didn't they anticipate this incoming? Almost as horribly prepared as Microsoft with their DRM-Box-One.

Feels like just postponing the inevitable. Paid Mods will come one way or another. Pubs are like sharks who smelled blood. Oh they will be coming for it. Sooner or later some games will only support paid mods.
Very badly handled by all of them. They just didn't provide sufficient trust into this new system. Can't blame the outcry thus. They did horrible to prevent it.
Ah well. Feels like a Sisyphus victory kinda. I am glad.. for the moment.

At least it would be cool if Valve started some kind of voluntary payment/donation system. Or help bring quality mods on the store. Push it. Some mods are pretty crazy good.
Free mods have always been a staple of the platform. It's not only fine but absolutely paramount to improve and enhance this system though. Just not by forcing one option down our throats (paid mods) but instead embrace the ideal behind mods; dedication, non-profit, community-driven etc. The intended system didn't feel like a natural evolution of modding but a business interpretation of it.

Modders being able to get financial support is a perfectly fine thing. Many deserve it and there should be a good way to introduce substituting mods. But just not like this. There has to be better ways.
And yes, it will need more dedication by Valve and pubs than this borked, half-assed attempt. Look at what half-assing brings you. Only loss of consumer trust and not much on the other hand.

Just my two cents.

Lomax

The only real flaw was just throwing the system open with no restrictions. Being able to sell a mod should be curated, probably even more so than selling games. Sad thing is, we're going to see a similar disaster when they finally try to make the entire store an open marketplace.

Were they really shocked by the backlash? Didn't they anticipate this incoming? Almost as horribly prepared as Microsoft with their DRM-Box-One.

And just like with that, some good ideas and potential for the future were overwhelmed by the hyperbolic internet screaming masses.

These last couples of days have been pretty damn crazy for gaming lol

anuxi_rum.gif

Khronico

Holy... Smokes...
Was not expecting Valve going back AT ALL. Surprised at the speed. Feels kinda good foreseeing that initial huge backlash is very effective.

Feels like just postponing the inevitable. Paid Mods will come one way or another. Pubs are like sharks who smelled blood. Oh they will be coming for it. Sooner or later some games will only support paid mods.
Very badly handled by all of them. They just didn't provide sufficient trust into this new system. Can't blame the outcry thus. They did horrible to prevent it.
Ah well. Feels like a Sisyphus victory kinda. I am glad.. for the moment.

At least it would be cool if Valve started some kind of voluntary payment/donation system. Or help bring quality mods on the store. Push it. Some mods are pretty crazy good.
Free mods have always been a staple of the platform. It's not only fine but absolutely paramount to improve and enhance this system though. Just not by forcing one option down our throats (paid mods) but instead embrace the ideal behind mods; dedication, non-profit, community-driven etc. The intended system didn't feel like a natural evolution of modding but a business interpretation of it.

Modders being able to get financial support is a perfectly fine thing. Many deserve it and there should be a good way to introduce substituting mods. But just not like this. There has to be better ways.
And yes, it will need more dedication by Valve and pubs than this borked, half-assed attempt. Look at what half-assing brings you. Only loss of consumer trust and not much on the other hand.

Just my two cents.
Pretty much exactly my opinion on the matter.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The only real flaw was just throwing the system open with no restrictions. Being able to sell a mod should be curated, probably even more so than selling games. Sad thing is, we're going to see a similar disaster when they finally try to make the entire store an open marketplace.

100% agreed. I think that given the low sales figures and the potential issues that cropped up from having 17 mods for sale, they probably didn't want this system to continue through Thursday when the flood gates opened as the 7 day "user curated" system for mods would have been lifted for people that uploaded their paid mods the first day.

Now that would have been interesting, considering some people considered the quality of the 17 curated mods questionable.

I saw the batmobile reveal, then the batmobile combat reveal, and then the first part of the ACE chemicals trailer and that's where I stopped giving a fuck.

arkham.trash.gif

I'm not super excited for the game like I was for Arkham Asylum, but what I'd love to see the incorporate into this version is using the batmobile as a means to getting to crime scenes or calls for help as quickly as possible. This ideal world of mine also includes a changing crime scene based on how quickly you get there, if too slow it might turn into a car chase (bank robbery?) or if fast enough the crime scene would include extra clues (fresh clues) that would make it easier to hunt down the criminals (I'm combining aspects of LA Noire in my imagination).

I'm just hoping the game doesn't end up a 'open world' game ala watch_dogs where the majority of the game is driving from A to B with the goal of killing a couple people at the destination before beginning the next driving segment.

If they want to add it now, they should just add donation buttons, and make sure the creators get a bigger cut. Maybe add a steam badge based on donation level. Then work towards actually selling. But some of the mod prices were stupid. They have to add some sort of regulator or screening on what the prices are set at.

I can only imagine how effective that would be. Downright frightening is what that is. Send Valve your resume. :p

Six people on my friend's list own the new version of State of Decay, is there a sale elsewhere or did you'll just pay the 20? Never spent much time with the game so I'm tempted to get the new version although I'm not sure how much is changed for PC users. Most things on the steam page are still taking about the Xbox One version, lol. New animations are mentioned at least.

I'm not super excited for the game like I was for Arkham Asylum, but what I'd love to see the incorporate into this version is using the batmobile as a means to getting to crime scenes or calls for help as quickly as possible. This ideal world of mine also includes a changing crime scene based on how quickly you get there, if too slow it might turn into a car chase (bank robbery?) or if fast enough the crime scene would include extra clues (fresh clues) that would make it easier to hunt down the criminals (I'm combining aspects of LA Noire in my imagination).

I'm just hoping the game doesn't end up a 'open world' game ala watch_dogs where the majority of the game is driving from A to B with the goal of killing a couple people at the destination before beginning the next driving segment.

I'm pretty sure it's just going to be the latter with an occasional janky mission where you have to use the "i have 800 missles and unlimited machine guns because I'm totally using them to blow shit up on a regular basis" batmobile for some terrible twisted metal/spy hunter type gameplay.

I have no issues with the idea of "we made the city so big that even with drop points for the batwing a la arkham origins, you'll like the car for speed". What I have problems with is shoehorning all these extra scenarios that don't fit and look like poorly designed gameplay in just to justify the inclusion of the concept in the first place.

iosefe

i remember playing some game where i was in an x-Wing. might have been Rebel Assault (2? i dunno)

to that point, i don't think i've played the Xwing games

I've been using D3D overider to force triple buffering on my games but I was wondering is there a program yet that can force triple buffering on 64bit games?

Wow, I think I'll be scrounging for funds so I can finally get the LEGO SW games on Steam, even if I've already played the original on x360 (and found it to be lacking when compared to newer LEGO games in terms of co-op, level design, and general fondness of the source material).

I wonder what the discount will be.

--

What's the over under on my ignore list for this thread hitting a point where I end up with <50% of the posts showing on a page? o_O

There are a few publishers and developers that actively support modding, see the value of it, the power of it and enable their audience. Valve, Bohemia Interactive, Bethesda, Blizzard kinda-sorta and then...who else? Firaxis kinda-sorta? Valve and Bethesda release tool sets enabling enthusiasts. I don't really know what the situation is with Bohemia's or Firaxis' mod support. Blizzard's support of modding is half-assed at best, which is so damned odd when you consider how a Warcraft 3 mod is sort of dominating the market today through its varied predecessors.

Edit: Paradox Interactive. I think Darkest Day was a Hearts of Iron 3 mod that became a paid-for product. There's also a really cool Game of Thrones mod for Crusader Kings II which I always meant to try.

Even the ones that do don't always have a good community behind them. Case in point.

Most popular: Tranny Lady Grey.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of hohoXD123, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (hohoXD123, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Brothers A Tale Of Two Sons -- MB-4823A628700F22DA - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN. 4 entrants total.

t1430184950z1.png

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
After looking it up, even if Lego Star Wars isn't on sale for over 50% off on Steam in the next few days, it's currently 70% off on funstock digital, so at least there's that (it's a steam key, too).

edit: Pretty much every SW game seems to be 70% off there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom