• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
WTF is this shit, Valve? All I tried to do was purchase a card and now this:
P4bBK7G.png

2106? Holy schnikes -- I'll be dead and gone and my grandkids will be working on my backlog.

You really must've made GabeN mad.

Yes!!!

Is Ep III necessary if I also grab the Complete Saga?

Yes. This is why it's a different app.

Originally, Tt made the original trilogy, I think. Then they re-released it with the prequel episodes as The Complete Saga. Ep III covers the stuff that was in the side series The Clone Wars, I believe.

I'm guessing May 4th, and it'll be a weeklong deal (until the 6th, at least).

X-Wing games on Steam, hell yes.

I'm going to guess it's going to be one of the sales for next weekend. This way it will run through 12pm on May 4th.
I'm thinking it's going to be like a Publisher Weekend, of sorts.

inm8num2

The recent star wars humble bundle kind of make this star wars sale much less interesting.

Yup, 12 games for $12 was a pretty damn good deal, but hypothetically if most of those games are around 75% off in this sale it's good for people who didn't get the bundle but want a couple titles from it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yes. This is why it's a different app.

Originally, Tt made the original trilogy, I think. Then they re-released it with the prequel episodes as The Complete Saga. Ep III covers the stuff that was in the side series The Clone Wars, I believe.
Thanks. I thought maybe it was included in the Complete Saga, and they left the original game there as a fool's trap or something :p

Jawmuncher

Glad to see paid mods are gone. Don't mind the idea, but they need something better in place than what was done. If valve can go back and actually sit on it rather than just what felt like a spur of the moment inclusion it could be something great. I think actual policing of the front would help a lot, but valve doesn't seem to want to do that. One of the biggest issues we have with greenlight is what would have ultimately affected the current idea they had for paid mods.

------

55 missions completed in GTAV, should beat it sometime this week. Still really enjoying it.
Everything a sequel should be especially after a disappointing game prior.

----------

Love how the May 4th Star Wars sale will be of no use to me. Thanks to the Star Wars Humble Bundle ages back.
Not a fan of the Xwing or Tie fighter games unless it's Rogue Squadron 2.

zkylon

zkylewd
weird that valve would remove the mod thing, but i guess it's probably a good idea since it was such a questionable implementation anyways

good on them for listening to the community

Remember when it was just Ubisoft who keeps on digging? At this point that .gif almost needs a template with a blank name.
lol can't remember that gif

Momentary

Banned
Man... sure would like some GGXrd, KI, T7, or BBCPE PC announcements. PC is hurting for quality fighting games this year. H2 Interactive shits on the porters for DOA5 and MKX.

Ozium

The reasons they state are bullshit though. I mean its okay if mod makers want to make money.

The problem was where the money goes. If just 25% goes to the one who made the mod, it is a shitty model. Maybe it works for small items for Dota2 or TF2, but imagine I built a total conversion mod for Skyrim, add a lot of quests and then just see 25%...

that bethesda post says that valve took 30% which is pretty standard for the market place and store, and then the remaining 70%, bethesda set it up so 45% would go to them and 25% to the creator.. valve did not set that pricing other than their usual 30% cut

that bethesda post says that valve took 30% which is pretty standard for the market place and store, and then the remaining 70%, bethesda set it up so 45% would go to them and 25% to the creator.. valve did not set that pricing other than their usual 30% cut

Yeah, but Valve should see that its not enough for the creator and then reject Bethesdas proposal.

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
Instructions:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kagemusha, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

bit Dungeon II -- MB-FAE2D38CBD9D1DF7 - Taken by Kuroyume
Beyond Gravity -- MB-22117E3D8FF2FE3E - Taken by rainking187

ExoSoul

Banned
So you're telling me I was supposed to make a post saying that I was going for the 52 and that I needed to update it... I'vemadeahugemistake.gif

In other news:
Well if they were losing as much money as Gabe claims I'm not that surprised by it. I am surprised by the posts saying that they hope they'll bring it back (after working on implementation a bit better).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Comfypucks' giveaway just ended, but something's just not right.
The codes are all the same and the winner is just one guy for all of the games.
Perhaps someone can give a clue what's going on for confused non-steam gaffers over there?

Looks like he only created a single Modbot giveaway, and copy/pasted the quote code to each box and modified them separately. Thus everyone entered for the same code, and Modbot only chose one winner.

EDIT: looks like he just used NOTA-REAL-KEY1 (from the tutorial) for each game, and Modbot just updated the title each time while spitting back an identical code.

Lomax

This idea that people were protesting because of the percentage split is disingenuous bullshit. People were afraid of the death of free mods, plain and simple. It's like saying the reason most people buy bundles is to give to charity. Could the split have been better? Sure. Would there have been just as much outcry if modders were getting 70%? Damn straight there would have been.

Would there have been just as much outcry if modders were getting 70%? Damn straight there would have been.

I'm not so sure. I think there would still be some outcry, but if the modders only had to give Valve a 30% cut like every other publisher does, I don't think the outcry would have been as much as it was.

xGreg

A shame, the model needs a strong non-Valve supporter and Bethesda is probably their best bet seeing how they've always been very open to sharing their tech with the community. A pity so many are myopic and don't see the benefits this could bring long term, moving forwards we could have seen other devs releasing their own tools to modders, the best mods might even have been polished and brought across to consoles, which is something I've seen some devs have allude to in the past.

100% agreed. One of the most important benefits would be is more incentive for developers to make their games moddable in the first place. For example, I think everyone would love if Rockstar would put official moddable tools and Steam Workshop for GTA V.

Turfster

Looks like he only created a single Modbot giveaway, and copy/pasted the quote code to each box and modified them separately. Thus everyone entered for the same code, and Modbot only chose one winner.

EDIT: looks like he just used NOTA-REAL-KEY1 (from the tutorial) for each game, and Modbot just updated the title each time while spitting back an identical code.

Yeah.
I didn't notice they were all the same because the only one I'm interested in is Witcher 3.
Sad now, since I'm not in Stump's list of backup winners ;_;

Funstock digital already has Lego Star Wars III 66/70% off, so the discount for the weekend will probably something similar.

This idea that people were protesting because of the percentage split is disingenuous bullshit. People were afraid of the death of free mods, plain and simple. It's like saying the reason most people buy bundles is to give to charity. Could the split have been better? Sure. Would there have been just as much outcry if modders were getting 70%? Damn straight there would have been.

Why? There were already paid mods before for games like Portal 2 and there was no big Outcry over it.

Parsnip

Yeah.
I didn't notice they were all the same because the only one I'm interested in is Witcher 3.
Sad now, since I'm not in Stump's list of backup winners ;_;

I'm dead last on the backup list, so I probably wont get it either. Surely one of the other ones wants Witcher as well.

Backlogger

Had a busy day at work and just getting caught up on today's news about dropping paid Skyrim mods. I am torn on this. I think I like the idea of paid mods if done fairly. I don't think blocking donation links is fair and I don't think the modder only getting 25% rev share is fair. They probably should try this again on a new game (not Skyrim).

Funstock digital already has Lego Star Wars III 66/70% off, so the discount for the weekend will probably something similar.

Can I buy this in the US? Or is there some kind of region locking?

Edit: Nvm, I think I see I can change the currency. Pretty good deal, I don't think this has ever been cheaper than $10 usd

Jawmuncher

Had a busy day at work and just getting caught up on today's news about dropping paid Skyrim mods. I am torn on this. I think I like the idea of paid mods if done fairly. I don't think blocking donation links is fair and I don't think the modder only getting 25% rev share is fair. They probably should try this again on a new game (not Skyrim).

If they try again the system needs to be different as well. Something like this would need more policing than green light. But valve just likes to use the community for thier work for some reason.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think paid mods would have been far better received if they launched with Cities Skylines.

- The content is far more modular
- The mods would have been seen as closer to cosmetic than substantive so I think the anger would have been less
- The game was hugely popular and the mod community took off immediately so it still would have been a good test of market scale
- The dev and pub are both small enough that they clearly would have offered a better percentage to modders, so that complaint would have been mitigated
- That one guy who was laid off the Sims team and started making mod content for Cities Skylines was inundated by people wanting to donate to him, so there's a logical story to point to about empowering modders to work on the games they love
- There'd be no problems with previously free mods being made paid.

Total missed opportunity. And I bet the infrastructure was ready for then, because if they partnered with Bethesda this was definitely being worked on for a long time.

Backlogger

I just need to buckle down and order a flight stick for all of these upcoming space sims and existing flight games.

I broke a desk when I was 18 or 19 trying to beat the last level of X-Wing. I am looking forward to breaking more desks. IIRCC my computer couldn't handle the Death Star and my FPS dropped so much I had no control over my X-Wing.

Turfster

Can I buy this in the US? Or is there some kind of region locking?

Don't know, but you can switch currency to US on the site, and people have bought stuff from them before.

They also have The Complete Saga discounted.

I think paid mods would have been far better received if they launched with Cities Skylines.
Yep. It needed to start with a new indie/AA game on the ground floor - or almost, not a 4 year old AAA game.

Sarcasm

Something fishy is going on. Currently in class browsing (so no addons/extensions) and I go look at reviews. I can only see positive.

Both Recent & Negative give this:

You've read all the helpful negative reviews!
(there may be reviews in other languages that aren't shown)

Vamphuntr

Is there a reason why the Witcher 3 isn't on GMG? What's the cheapest place to get it without VPN tricks? I've checked isthereanydeal and it's mostly the same everywhere?

didamangi

Is there a reason why the Witcher 3 isn't on GMG? What's the cheapest place to get it without VPN tricks? I've checked isthereanydeal and it's mostly the same everywhere?

If you don't mind getting the GOG version, check out the Buy/Sell Thread. There's a few GOG codes (comes with buying new Nvidia GTX GPU)

I've seen it as low as $20-$25.

Otherwise you can only get the steam version on steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom