• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copons

if it's not on twitter idc

Here you go:

5iBslpJ.png

Zeknurn

Quite a lot of comments in response to the Workshop announcement post are in favour of paid mods if payments are optional. I can see Valve taking that into consideration in the future.

If they make payments optional they might as well not bother. As soon as you don't have to pay, a vast majority of people will pick that option and not even consider donating.

Sendou

If they make payments optional they might as well not bother. As soon as you don't have to pay, a vast majority of people will pick that option and not even consider donating.

Yeah on a big portion of mods payments are already optional. That we're now just talking about how they could start allowing donations tells a sad tale on how effective donations are.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Something is better than nothing, and in this case the matter of implementation would just be tweaking the existing system rather than building it from the ground up.

I love TNA as much as any hot-blooded heterosexual male or homosexual female BUT I think that Cid redesign looks really cheap. It's not a matter or preference but can't we have both worlds? I hate that Japanese characters never seem to change clothes! Oh is it raining? Why put on a jacket while I can go around nekkiiid.

While I love these boobs:

This looks more interesting.

Zeknurn

Something is better than nothing, and in this case the matter of implementation would just be tweaking the existing system rather than building it from the ground up.
It's still not something that pushes modding forward in a huge leap which was Valve's intention.

The second tweet from Supernorn puts it well.
KjjLVjr.png

dex3108

It seams that we won't get Assassins Creed Victory announcement before E3 and i don't like it. I have feeling that we will get same marketing campaign as Unity got that means same demo and almost same videos until release. Even CoD got better treatment this year with hands on before reveal. I guess Ubi haven't learned a thing from ACU. By this time 2013 we had plenty info and gameplay for AC4.

zkylon

zkylewd
i just don't think it's a revolution for modders if you take all the money away from them

i think it sparked a discussion on the legitimacy of modders that's really good and made me think about actually donating to them and stuff

i think that's pretty good

Jebus, the market has spoken, there is no need to shame the customer.

Maybe try talking to the modders first next time, and release a couple of paid-for-mods that actually are worth it? Do some low-scale actual research first and implement it slowly. It is not as if this didn't came out of nowhere. Greenlight and EarlyAccess being flooded with shit have eroded the customer's trust.

zkylon

zkylewd
it's also imo a big issue that valve hasn't been able to like prevent scammers, shovelware and "ironic shit games" run rampant on greenlight, so i don't think they should be opening new items for sale until they manage to help their users not be swarmed with shit

JaseC

It's still not something that pushes modding forward in a huge leap which was Valve's intention.

The second tweet from Supernorn puts it well.
KjjLVjr.png

Sure, though as Valve itself said, incorporating a paid mod system into a pre-existing mod community was a bad idea. That's not to say I agree with all the doom and gloom that surrounded the announcement, but displacing long-standing expectations was never going to go down well. Incorporating paid mods into future games -- which I assume is Valve's intention -- is still going to be met with a fair bit of outrage, of course, however at least there'll be no potential for interference with pre-existing content.

derExperte

Reading complaints about some puzzles in Broken Age leads me to believe that either I still have 'it' from back when they were really hard and obscure or my brain is just significantly superior to most other humans. I say it's both.

I also like the story and most of the characters. Many complain about a lack of personality but imo its there in spades, how can you for example not enjoy the banter with Tree? Or granddad. I don't even mind the recycled environments and I played Act 1 and most of 2 back to back.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Reading complaints about some puzzles in Broken Age leads me to believe that either I still have 'it' from back when they were really hard and obscure or my brain is just significantly superior to most other humans. I say it's both.

how German of you ;)

Zeknurn

im curious, why do we need to push modding forward? im fine with the mods made available and im sure a lot of people are

User-created content for Dota 2 and TF2 has showed how there was a massive increase of quality and quantity when they added a monetization option. It's safe to assume that they same thing would have happened to mods for Skyrim.

I like to think that PC gaming and gaming in general is about pushing forward and creating new opportunities to better the experience.

Sure, but as Valve itself said, incorporating a paid mod system into a pre-existing mod community was a bad idea.

I still think they could have ridden out the knee-jerk reactions and it would have calmed down after a week. Perhaps they could have lowered the Bethesda cut by 10% or so just to meet people half-way.

Jebus, the market has spoken, there is no need to shame the customer.

Maybe try talking to the modders first next time, and release a couple of paid-for-mods that actually are worth it? Do some low-scale actual research first and implement it slowly. It is not as if this didn't came out of nowhere. Greenlight and EarlyAccess being flooded with shit have eroded the customer's trust.

How do we know that the market has spoken? It's impossible to know if the people that complained were representative of the community as a whole. All I know is that there were plenty of game developers and modders that were very positive about the current implementation.

JaseC

I still think they could have ridden out the knee-jerk reactions and it would have calmed down after a week. Perhaps they could have lowered the Bethesda cut by 10% or so just to meet people half-way.

Yeah, I agree, but as per my edit I think donations for current games and paid mods for future games is about the best Valve can hope for.

Zeknurn

Yeah, I agree, but as per my edit I think donations for current games and paid mods for future games is about the best Valve can hope for.

I see your point and I agree with it as well. Lets hope hope you're right and Valve plan on going forward with paid mods in future games and that they haven't been completely discouraged. Same thing goes for Bethesda and Fallout 4.

Copons

I also like the story and most of the characters. Many complain about a lack of personality but imo its there in spades, how can you for example not enjoy the banter with Tree? Or granddad. I don't even mind the recycled environments and I played Act 1 and most of 2 back to back.

Wait: did you find the knots puzzle entertaining? I mean, ok, the descriptions could be fun - that's not my point - but did you find a working pattern or did you go random?
And the little repairman thingy you have to guide through the spaceship... was it an engaging experience?
And rewire it over and over again for like, half the second act...

I mean, half the puzzles were a complete chore for me. Not hard, not fun: a chore.

Now, I realize that even the best old-school old-times Lucas adventures had chore-y puzzles (I've always found the LeChuck's voodoo doll in MI2 to be veeeery annoying - also I always forget it so every time I play it it takes me forever to get through it :D - but even that I think MI2 is the best adventure ever), but at least most of the times they were incredibly original, full of hilarious jokes, and when you solved it, well, it was always a huge aha moment.

In BA I've never had any single aha moment.
Sure, I loved Bagel's art (and even there: the second act basically has very little new contents), good voice actings and all that.
But the puzzles... oh boy.

EDIT: btw best characters are the kitchenwares, they were great.

EDIT#2: I'm sorry, I'll summarize this post in a more SteamGAF friendly manner:
x7CyJDE.jpg

Ozium

Do you guys just collect cards you like and craft badges for games you like or do you just sell all of the cards?

Depends. I generally craft badges unless the cards are priced high enough, if that's the case I just sell them. Otherwise when deciding what to craft I look at what the emoticons are and see if there are any that I like,or if any of them are worth dosh.. if so then I craft that badge

if it's a game I really like though I will just craft the badge without looking at anything else.. I also tend to craft badges in batches.

Right now I have like 81 badges ready to craft, plus more on the way.. At this point will probably wait until summer sale cards are out

QLdCnh.jpg

derExperte

Wait: did you find the knots puzzle entertaining? I mean, ok, the descriptions could be fun - that's not my point - but did you find a working pattern or did you go random?
And the little repairman thingy you have to guide through the spaceship... was it an engaging experience?
And rewire it over and over again for like, half the second act...

Maybe it's because I haven't played a longer p&c in a while and wanted something to sink my teeth in, after Act1 I feared the puzzles would be too easy without any experimentation and aimlessly running around until it... clicks. Like the knot puzzle, sure at first I tried to brute force it before realizing
that you need someone else's help
but then it was rather straightforward without guessing (
during the three steps I was thinking too abstract for a while
), the game even spares you any backtracking. And the rewiring wasn't a big thing, took what, five minutes? It's not like every error threw you back to the beginning. Saying that those puzzles comprised half of the game is imo a gross exaggeration.

Though I agree with Feep here about the snake, I don't know if I would've done that if I didn't see an achievement (which I then didn't get, must've been something else).

Right now I have like 81 badges ready to craft, plus more on the way.. At this point will probably wait until summer sale cards are out

Cards for 81 badges but no money for KF2. I see, I see.

Arthea

I can't exactly put finger on it, but for some reason I didn't enjoy Broken Age act 1 and I wanted to like it. Was it maybe a tad too childish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom