• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRORANGE

May is creeping up on us...

Pm me a recommendation, make sure you request first as someone else might have reserved it.

May has a bunch of titles that could go up for recommendation:

SUPER IMPOSSIBLE ROAD
ss_4df0a7ebbc0fe4b8105196f8adca788228c1a997.600x338.jpg

Shadow Complex Remastered
ss_e618d8cdefaec31322e3cf072a9dbfc41684d818.600x338.jpg

The Wake
ss_b5b778aa32c86a713363e88b4385ba86ada0e957.600x338.jpg

Soldiers: Arena
ss_ad31cf3190d4fab88f29e986e60ae0967842afb9.600x338.jpg

Battleborn
ss_2a5e0623404c038fcc26f97af57c91d826156408.600x338.jpg

A Little Lily Princess
ss_ade4807d763e7de1fa4dabb41d587c9ee77f00e7.600x338.jpg

Shrug Island - Chapter 1
ss_1a0d229aa36cf87f93850ee75c9eb1fe36f4f257.600x338.jpg

Stellaris
ss_5ebd0e797d5a48d477685a03a3e782d6e3e931b2.600x338.jpg

DOOM
ss_2053c7628ba42fecb8e472f74565f880f93a0b30.600x338.jpg

Anarcute
ss_5aa32d3d5ac404265e227bcba03c84951239be16.600x338.jpg

Overcooked
ss_2a35c15c78f06dd4f23dab8a1e1917a835d0062d.600x338.jpg

Pm me a recommendation, make sure you request first as someone else might have reserved it.

zkylon

zkylewd
so about stellaris, does it sound like a good entry in the genre or the complete opposite?

i've been thinking about getting into the grand strategy genre for years but not sure where to start and stellaris is pretty cheap on nuuvem..

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Tizoc, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tizoc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

DanganRonpa 2 CODE D -- MB-581A70D7A6519072 - Taken by shintoki. 2 entrants total.
DanganRonpa 2 CODE G -- MB-0E1AC97BAE18DC71 - Taken by Purkake4. 5 entrants total.
DanganRonpa 2 CODE B -- MB-D5BB7DEA948CBDB3 - Taken by Milamber. 3 entrants total.
DanganRonpa 2 CODE Q -- MB-983582175497D957 - Taken by Tenrius. 9 entrants total.
DanganRonpa 2 CODE S -- MB-A38203ABC7063785 - Taken by Large Professor. 5 entrants total.
DanganRonpa 2 CODE Y -- MB-F94A262682F6F0C3 - Taken by Wok. 2 entrants total.

t1460980477z1.png

mp1990

Banned
Played Final Fantasy 9 for a bit, and for a 16 year old game it still holds up incredibly well. For starts, the port does its job very well, as far as I'm concerned, with some minuses. The new HD textures look really nice, but the discrepancy between them and the low quality backgrounds can be a bit off putting. Also, changing the pixelated icons in the menus for "clean" ones really weirds me out. With that said, I had a blast with the game itself: the "magical" aura this game carries reflects on each single aspect of it, from the music, with its cheerful tones, to the graphics and character designs, that seem to have come straight out of a Disney movie, to even the combat systems, as weird as it sounds lol. It all makes a very nostalgic experience, and I can't wait to have even more of it.

By the way, here's what I meant by "discrepancy".

CgRxpAcWIAA-xTW.jpg

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
so about stellaris, does it sound like a good entry in the genre or the complete opposite?

i've been thinking about getting into the grand strategy genre for years but not sure where to start and stellaris is pretty cheap on nuuvem..

They said its more accessible than their other games. I'd say go for it.

Could check out their LP's streams on Twitch too.

Phew, finally beat the
two wolve beast
thingies in Irithyll. That was tougher than some boss fights. Doing it in co-op would have been fun but that place turns into a nightmare in ember form. Invasions up the wazoo.
Same goes for
Anor Londo
sadly. It's a PvP hotspot which makes for a life of pain to get some jolly cooperation in PvE :(

Paradox has tried to make it the most approachable GS game ever. It starts off as a more traditional 4X kind of thing and morphs into a more grand strategy kind of thing mid-game and beyond, with all the nuances that entails... Or at least, it's supposed to. There's plenty of footage out there now to give you a general idea of how it plays and what it's like.

Check the Stellaris thread on GAF for some info. The last few pages have links to all of the development diaries, some streams, and even a species creator web app.

Ozium

I guess I been out of the loop but, the Doom Open Beta is at Mostly Negative reviews now on Steam.

Why?

play it and find out

it's boring af, it's like if they took quake, stripped out maneuverability and rocket jumping and turned the run speed down, mixed in some halo and then added a COD like loadout, perk and leveling system

play it and find out

it's boring af, it's like if they took quake, stripped out maneuverability and rocket jumping and turned the run speed down, and then added a COD like loadout, perk and leveling system

Not going to waste a couple hours to download something, I have no interest in ever since they showed the gameplay at E3 and people telling me I should be "excited" for a franchise that looks like it's playing a decade of catch up.

Also that sounds sad, uh no thanks. I already dealt with 1 bad beta this week.

MUnited83

For you.
I guess I been out of the loop but, the Doom Open Beta is at Mostly Negative reviews now on Steam.

Why?

I mean, I didn't play it, but I'm going to go ahead and say that it's probably shitty.

I'm not surprised. The single player portions that they showed were all fucking terrible and missing the point of DOOM, so them fucking up the multiplayer too seems plausible.

Grief.exe

Implementation was sub-optimal to say the least. It might make sense looking at the stat but when this happened to me, the only thing I thought was "this is bullshit".
Justifying a new stat they introduced should never mean "jank" like this happening.

Pk7NQ8l.gif

Glad the stats in DS3 are trimmed of needless stuff entirely, Adaptability & Resistance.

So ya here's the problem with the hitboxes perception.

There might be a problem, but you were clearly hit with the attack. The issue comes from the way the animation plays after you were hit. It's merely a perception issue as you're forced into an animation despite being in a visually strange position initially. I see this nearly ubiquitously with the 'bad hitboxes' narrative, to the point I'm starting to believe there isn't an issue.

Also, friends don't let friends fat roll.

There might be a problem, but you were clearly hit with the attack. The issue comes from the way the animation plays after you were hit. It's merely a perception issue as you're forced into an animation despite being in a visually strange position initially. I see this nearly ubiquitously with the 'bad hitboxes' narrative, to the point I'm starting to believe there isn't an issue.

I don't see him being hit with the attack at all (well, he's hit once the game decides to teleport him in front of the weapon, but that doesn't count)

zkylon

zkylewd
They said its more accessible than their other games. I'd say go for it.

Could check out their LP's streams on Twitch too.
Paradox has tried to make it the most approachable GS game ever. It starts off as a more traditional 4X kind of thing and morphs into a more grand strategy kind of thing mid-game and beyond, with all the nuances that entails... Or at least, it's supposed to. There's plenty of footage out there now to give you a general idea of how it plays and what it's like.

Check the Stellaris thread on GAF for some info. The last few pages have links to all of the development diaries, some streams, and even a species creator web app.
mostly i want it to have the kind of emergent storytelling aspects to it that i heard from the crusader king series

i like that stuff a whole lot

Ozium

with steamgaf being invaded by soulsfans I thought I'd play a real rpg

Lightning Returns

and man is it great.

best in the series.

Lightning is amazing.

the Goddess.

Do you remember the sound of the ocean waves?

Sch1sm

Why?

I can tell you exactly why:

1. Not the original DOOM
  2. Not the original DOOM
  3. Not the original DOOM
  4. Arena shooters are a dead art

The largest complaint I noticed is that, unlike games like Quake 3 Arena or Unreal Tournament, you don't have to take control of the map and its resources because you don't spawn with nothing to your name. Lack of that ruined the tension/urgency you'd usually get with it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

It's handled badly at most you should be knocked down and take reduced damage for something like this. I really don't understand people that give it a pass at all it is clearly not handled well and is not a problem in the other games.

MUnited83

For you.
I don't see him being hit with the attack at all (well, he's hit once the game decides to teleport him in front of the weapon, but that doesn't count)
He gets hit by the blade before the teleport.
It's handled badly at most you should be knocked down and take reduced damage for something like this. I really don't understand people that give it a pass at all it is clearly not handled well and is not a problem in the other games.
I agree that you should just be knocked down, but it is definitely a problem in the other games. In every single other game this happens.

Lain

with steamgaf being invaded by soulsfans I thought I'd play a real rpg

Lightning Returns

and man is it great.

best in the series.

Lightning is amazing.

the Goddess.

Do you remember the sound of the ocean waves?

I thought you were bad, but now all is in the past, all is forgiven and everything can begin anew.

Aldrich
, wow what a fight that was. One of the high points so far, from which there were many. Can imagine heavy builds having a rough time without plenty dodging.
I had fears that the big throwback with
Anor Londo
would drag out for too long but they actually managed to make it short and sweet.
I agree that you should just be knocked down, but it is definitely a problem in the other games. In every single other game this happens.
I haven't encountered such a thing DeS, DS nor DS3. Believed low Agility/i-frames stat was responsible for that since a friend told me that was the reason for the weird "animation". Interesting that it is apparently not.

The Road of Sacrifices is a real pain in the dick.

I've been trying to Sun Bro through it to get my bearings, but damn....the amount of invades is just ridiculous. Multiple occasions I've had Host, 2x Sun Bros, 1x Mad Phantoms, 2x Dark Phantoms.

It's a mess.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
The largest complaint I noticed is that, unlike games like Quake 3 Arena or Unreal Tournament, you don't have to take control of the map and its resources because you don't spawn with nothing to your name. Lack of that ruined the tension/urgency you'd usually get with it.

I've been playing the beta and having a bit of fun with it. The map control criticism is a little odd, because I think they try to make it a little more of a mobile concept with the demon runes and the warpath mode. Warpath is basically a king of the hill variant where the capture zone is on a one-way rail. The demon rune represents a lot of killing power, but it's actually not that hard to kill the demon and take the rune for your team.

I dunno, I don't really have a lot of Unreal or any Quake experience to compare it to, but I don't think it's necessarily as terrible as the reviews are making it sound. I imagine it'll be better with the map editor and more maps too.

On the other hand, I can't think of any really good reason a PC player would drop 70$ on it when you can literally play UE4 for free, or any host of other games for cheaper. Seems very much a release tailored for consoles. A lot like Battlefront, really. I had fun with that beta but never bought in there either.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

I haven't really had it happen to me of course backstabs re-align things at times but that's the only thing I can recall. The thing is it isn't a notable detriment to any of the other titles and I feel I made a mistake when I get hit and not that some weird bullshit caused me to teleport a sword through my chest. In 3 you can even get knocked out of backstab range and not get hit and the same is true with enemies. The point is things should be visualized properly and if you don't take the full brunt of the hit this should not happen.

Sch1sm

Aldrich
, wow what a fight that was. One of the high points so far, from which there were many. Can imagine heavy builds having a rough time without plenty dodging.
Anor Londo
would drag out for too long but they actually managed to make it short and sweet.

Being a Thief really made my life easier for that one. My tendency to stick ranged definitely didn't, though. Found it a lot more easy to get in close. t liked the diversity of attacks on that boss. Also,
the wall of fire
surrounding him. Ouch.

I've been playing the beta and having a bit of fun with it. The map control criticism is a little odd, because I think they try to make it a little more of a mobile concept with the demon runes and the warpath mode. Warpath is basically a king of the hill variant where the capture zone is on a one-way rail. The demon rune represents a lot of killing power, but it's actually not that hard to kill the demon and take the rune for your team.

I dunno, I don't really have a lot of Unreal or any Quake experience to compare it to, but I don't think it's necessarily as terrible as the reviews are making it sound. I imagine it'll be better with the map editor and more maps too.

On the other hand, I can't think of any really good reason a PC player would drop 70$ on it when you can literally play UE4 for free, or any host of other games for cheaper. Seems very much a release tailored for consoles. A lot like Battlefront, really. I had fun with that beta but never bought in there either.

It's weird. If you read through the Steam reviews, that's right up there. I haven't played it myself - I'm not big on multiplayer betas and I doubt I'll be purchasing this DOOM when, like you said, there are free alternatives of the same kind, or, you know, other games in general.

People probably complaining for the sake of complaining as usual, with every sequel. It's a constant in life.

MUnited83

For you.
Aldrich
Anor Londo

I haven't encountered such a thing DeS, DS nor DS3. Believed low Agility/i-frames stat was responsible for that since a friend told me that was the reason for the weird "animation". Interesting that it is apparently not.

Has yet to happen to me in DS3 too, but then again every "grab" attack I noticed enemies doing is telegraphed like fucking crazy so i'm out of the way wayyyyyyy before the attack actually starts. Although if you want a example of terrible hitboxes you can just go check the dogs in DS3. I swear, every dog type enemy in the series is fucking terrible with their hitboxes and super jumping tracking abilities.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
DS3 introduces OTGs straight out of Marvel vs Capcom 3 tho which is arguably worse :3

The Road of Sacrifices is a real pain in the dick.

I've been trying to Sun Bro through it to get my bearings, but damn....the amount of invades is just ridiculous. Multiple occasions I've had Host, 2x Sun Bros, 1x Mad Phantoms, 2x Dark Phantoms.

It's a mess.
Everyone wants a cheap kill, PvPers should stick to PvP bonfires.

which is the good transformers game

is singularity good

War for Cybertron games were good if not a bit generic thirdperson action games. Devastation is the newest one and my personal favorite, especially if you like G1 transformers style and platinum games brand of action.

Anyone got an ETA on the next "Big" steam sale. Trying to decide if I want to blow some money soon or wait a bit.

he's actually one of the easiest and the bonfire is like 5 seconds from the fog gate -___-

the boss itself wasn't the issue, its all the dumb poison nonsense before him + the douche invader npc who always swung at me mid animation to enter the boss fight so by the time im actually in the fight i was poisoned, and nearly about to die so I was easy pickings. once i got those 2 other npcs to distract the invader + the boss when i enter it was smooth sailing. honestly they didn't even do much in the fight

zkylon

zkylewd
the boss itself wasn't the issue, its all the dumb poison nonsense before him + the douche invader npc who always swung at me mid animation to enter the boss fight so by the time im actually in the fight i was poisoned, and nearly about to die so I was easy pickings. once i got those 2 other npcs to distract the invader + the boss when i enter it was smooth sailing. honestly they didn't even do much in the fight
did you find the bonfire close to the fog gate?

i can't see the run to the boss being any sort of trouble if you found that, that's why i'm surprised that u say that

TIME FOR GIVEAWAY OF DESPAIR 2
MONOKUMA GIGOLO

Rules are much like last time; only ONE of these codes contain the game, HOWEVER, there's a little twist.
The winner won't get a key to redeem DR2 right away, instead, I'll verify first that they own DR1, doesn't matter how many hours they put into DR1, just that they own it.
So that's a new prerequest for this giveaway; only enter if you own DanganRonpa 1 in your Steam library

Good luck~

but i own dangenronpa 1 for the vita, physical tho. why you trying to bullshit my chances for dangenronpa 2? :(

did you find the bonfire close to the fog gate?

i can't see the run to the boss being any sort of trouble if you found that, that's why i'm surprised that u say that

i did, idk man that part was just really damn hard for me. i hate the poison areas in the souls games. if i was to ever hack these games I'd skip those parts, hate them so damn much

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
For a game that is mostly references and tributes to past games (Castlevania, Super Mario Bros, etc) as a Metroid-like title, Castle In The Darkness has been of surprisingly good quality. It's very much NES style with one hit kill spikes and screen by screen, but enough to offer different boss fights (most of the references) and power ups to keep me going forward.

I'm happy I was convinced to give it a try rather than just just pass it off as another cheap gag title.

which is the good transformers game

is singularity good

War for Cybertron for third person shooting that takes the story serious. Lot of people think it's a great single play through and it has a lot of loving tributes to the franchise since it was made by fans of it.
Transformers : Devastation if you want something close to the cartoon and Platinum's combo heavy stylish combat. More of a game to play if you are okay with the style of going back and improving your score on missions as you get new weapons and abilities.

Singularity is worth checking out for the time manipulation stuff. If that doesn't interest you though, it's not all that great of a shooter and you have plenty of other games from that time worth checking out instead.

zkylon

zkylewd
i did, idk man that part was just really damn hard for me. i hate the poison areas in the souls games. if i was to ever hack these games I'd skip those parts, hate them so damn much
weird that you'd find it so frustrating but alright, i bet a lot of ppl found brightstone cove happy funtimes land and for me it was a total nightmare :>

weird that you'd find it so frustrating but alright, i bet a lot of ppl found brightstone cove happy funtimes land and for me it was a total nightmare :>

haven't gotten to that place, actually now that you mention it the reason i stopped playing last night was cause i didn't know where to go next. i beat what I assume are 2 "main" bosses (onest that link you to the primal bonfire), The Rotten, and some woman who's greatest sin was trying to rekindle the first bonfire or whatever, i forgot her name

Sch1sm

Started up The Walking Dead S2 after a long break from the episodic titles run I had in Q3 with the ending of LiS and GoT's first seasons.

It's a lot stronger feels wise but man for me in comparison to S1, but the same amount of dumb. Also, is nobody safe? Come on. Episode 1. RIP
Omid and stray dog who would kill for a can of beans. Of course they had to kill the dude with the pregnant woman, right? That just made me feel like I fucked up dropping the water bottle
when lord knows it was meant to happen. ffs.

zkylon

zkylewd
haven't gotten to that place, actually now that you mention it the reason i stopped playing last night was cause i didn't know where to go next. i beat what I assume are 2 "main" bosses (onest that link you to the primal bonfire), The Rotten, and some woman who's greatest sin was trying to rekindle the first bonfire or whatever, i forgot her name
don't worry, it's ok for most people

it's a dungeon full of spiders

i didn't find it very fun :>

7WJ0R76.jpg

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants: I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help. Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously. ModBot Basics: - No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM. - Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. - If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two. Rules for this Giveaway: - This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit. - This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Woodle Tree Adventures -- MB-89368BD37F923AF1 - Taken by Alphahawk. 1 entrants total.
Knightshift -- MB-087F6C692ECD5C79 - Taken by Sarcasm. 1 entrants total.
Glass Wings -- MB-468B40A238BC022F - Taken by ExoSoul. 1 entrants total.

t1460949285z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom