• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
don't worry, it's ok for most people

it's a dungeon full of spiders

i didn't find it very fun :>

Spiders in DS3 are nightmare-fuel at its highest btw just so you know

RIP
Omid and stray dog who would kill for a can of beans. Of course they had to kill the dude with the pregnant woman, right? That just made me feel like I fucked up dropping the water bottle
when lord knows it was meant to happen. ffs.

i lol'd at that part, it was funny.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Avoid that one, it's defective as far as summons go
:3

THE LAKE ONES ;_;

Yes both the
lady
spiders and that
giant spider that falls from the roof in...err... some late castle zone I forget which one.

In fact the whole game is the worst its been in fucked up-ness monster design. Those
baby faced lizards
, the
hand faced fat guys
, etc. Bosses were surprisingly not grotesque in general tho

Rhaknar

can you pls link me to the ones you're talking about

so far i've seen these:
http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Cage+Spider
http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Deep+Accursed
http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Sewer+Centipede

is there anything else?

would help me a lot to mentally prepare to know about what i'm heading into

Nope thats it. And I never saw the cage ones as spiders, it just looked like a bunch of corpses in the cage

The
ring ghost lady
spiders look terrifying until you kill them in 2 hits and youre like "oh..."

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So I've played about 2 hours of Final Fantasy IX and I'm really liking the port so far. The promotional materials made it sound like it was just the character models that were improved but also the monsters, icons, etc and the text is super-sharp. It's a shame that videos run at 15fps and gameplay is capped at 30fps and that it's letterboxed, but otherwise I have no complaints. As others have said, the disparity between the character models and the backgrounds are a bit jarring, but some update is better than no update at all, and perhaps modders will fill in the gaps eventually now that it's on PC. I'm playing it at 1440p and it seems to scale well.

The menus, despite being bigger in general, are really not that bad. The music is still amazing and the story itself holds up. The achievements are a nice touch, some of these will be tough / impossible.

Besides the MMOs (XI and XIV) this is the only "mainline" Final Fantasy game I've never beat, and I plan on rectifying that.

Teggy

I should be able to stream Steam to my iPad and play Pillars of Eternity in bed. Is that really too much to ask for?

zkylon

zkylewd
Nope thats it. And I never saw the cage ones as spiders, it just looked like a bunch of corpses in the cage

The
ring ghost lady
great, thankfully from went easy on me with dks3

the cage spiders were pretty bad for me, specially that one room
that's full of them on the ceiling, i arrowed each one to check if they were live cos i was totally freaking out about it

honestly the spider that most ppl said would be the worst for me was pretty easy to deal with, mostly cos it's so large and there's so little room to see it and it moves so weird that i wasn't too bothered by it. the centipede things were by far the worst for me but yea they die in like two hits and they also move pretty weird

there's nothing as bad as brighstone cove for me, the feeling of the damn things crawling out of every hole and waiting for me just hanging on the ceiling and behind every doorway, just watching them walking around and circling around me, fuck that was super hard to get through

Rhaknar

I still call bullshit on Queelag bothering you

She was hot.

Literally.

but i own dangenronpa 1 for the vita, physical tho. why you trying to bullshit my chances for dangenronpa 2? :(

i did, idk man that part was just really damn hard for me. i hate the poison areas in the souls games. if i was to ever hack these games I'd skip those parts, hate them so damn much

This one allows you to ROLL unlike DeS.

But there are Basilisks

And DEER GODS.

Eh, it's a tossup.

You're the worst sort of person, Prinny. The worst. There's nothing funny about either of those. :steamsad:
didn't preggos [ep1 walking dead season 2 spoilers for the beginning]
shoot the kid when she came in the bathroom and saw what she did? holy shit i fucking lost it at that part, how are you going to tell me that wasn't funny? she shot the dude and was like OH NUUUU IT WAS AN ACCIDENT
. you're tripping sch1sm, idc what anyone says, that beginning part was really funny.

it should be noted that I didn't give a single shit about those 2 characters.

Sch1sm

Episode 1 of TWDS2.

lol
Clem's got sneak levels higher than Altair, Ezio, Connor, Haytham/Edward, Aveline, Jacob, Shay, Arno, all of them.

10/10.

didn't preggos [ep1 walking dead season 2 spoilers for the beginning]
shoot the kid when she came in the bathroom and saw what she did? holy shit i fucking lost it at that part, how are you going to tell me that wasn't funny? she shot the dude and was like OH NUUUU IT WAS AN ACCIDENT
. you're tripping sch1sm, idc what anyone says, that beginning part was really funny.

it should be noted that I didn't give a single shit about those 2 characters.

Yeah, she
shot her
like immediately, but come on.
Her husband/SO whatever just died and she's pregnant with his child
- it's prefaced with their arguing about names. You're tripping. WHERE'S YOUR HEART?

Rhaknar

Dark Souls 3 is a masterpiece. It's seriously incredible what they've been able to achieve, I love you Miyazaki

Yes, recycling a bunch of past levels from previous games is truly masterful :3

Im kidding...kinda.

Sch1sm

double post, whoops.

----

Yes, recycling a bunch of past levels from previous games is truly masterful :3

Im kidding...kinda.

Ahahaha. I mean, they did do that. I'm glad they upped the pacing a bit in comparison to DS2 and DS1. Coming off of Bloodborne, it'd have been a lot worse if it was just as slow. I liked it. Not a masterpiece. Not my favourite Souls title. Playable. tfw you beat it before the performance patch and can't bring yourself to play it again after the fact, though.

Yeah, she
shot her
like immediately, but come on.
Her husband/SO whatever just died and she's pregnant with his child
- it's prefaced with their arguing about names. You're tripping. WHERE'S YOUR HEART?

they're lame ass characters yo, they were like extras to me. i think what i found so funny was how the game assumed i gave a shit about them or their baby

Sch1sm

they're lame ass characters yo, they were like extras to me. i think what i found so funny was how the game assumed i gave a shit about them or their baby

They're lame, but they're sort of the last tie to the old group, Lee, all of them at the start. I'm chalking this up to you just being cold to the core. Who hurt you?

Rhaknar

As game design I think the recycling is a cheap move.

As someone who will only replay the latest one, its great because it uses a lot of old favorites.

But the game, hell the series has way too many problems (both in gameplay and design) to be called masterpieces. And thats coming from someone that thinks that series is probably his favorite series at the moment, certainly of the last and current gens.

Oh and DS3 is probably my favorite but ill need some more playthroughs to know for sure. And the dlc.

Edit: also adding OTGs is bullshit

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
How are the load times in Final Fantasy IX? Attempting to play my PS1 copy reminded me of why I haven't gone back

KingKong

I dunno, I think you guys are setting an impossible standard or looking for flaws. Just think about how much work went into each level and enemy design and consider that DS3 really doesn't have any real lows like DS1 or DeS

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
I actually forgot I picked this up last week. Hope it goes to a good home!

Darksiders Franchise Pack Giveaway
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Dupy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Darksiders Franchise Pack -- MB-BFA9465AE1B7DF50 - Taken by roadrunn3r. 7 entrants total.

t1460963266z1.png

Rhaknar

I dunno, I think you guys are setting an impossible standard or looking for flaws. Just think about how much work went into each level and enemy design and consider that DS3 really doesn't have any real lows like DS1 or DeS

A masterpiece wouldnt have OTG attacks. Or attacks that hit you through walls. Or a busted magic system compared to previous games. Yes its nitpicks but youre the one that said masterpiece. I just think its an awesome game lol.

And I still think that much lauded obfuscation of quests and systems the series is now known for to be a bad thing and less and less cute the more games into it we are.

Edit: and no lows?
Smouldering Lake
is one of if not the worst zone in any Souls game. Give me 10 Izaliths over it.

They're lame, but they're sort of the last tie to the old group, Lee, all of them at the start. I'm chalking this up to you just being cold to the core. Who hurt you?

nah i'm not cold, i legit got teary eyes at the end of season 1, after i beat it i just had to sit there for a few minutes and just think about what I had just done.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How are the load times in Final Fantasy IX? Attempting to play my PS1 copy reminded me of why I haven't gone back

They're pretty decent actually, a good bit faster than the PS1 version. There are also some tweaks / cheats you can enable to make it faster, such as disabling the camera "fly-by" at the beginning of non-boss battles, and even an option to run at 2x speed that's like playing the game on fast-forward.

KingKong

A masterpiece wouldnt have OTG attacks. Or attacks that hit you through walls. Or a busted magic system compared to previous games. Yes its nitpicks but youre the one that said masterpiece. I just think its an awesome game lol.

And I still think that much lauded obfuscation of quests and systems the series is now known for to be a bad thing and less and less cute the more games into it we are.

Edit: and no lows?
Smouldering Lake
is one of if not the worst zone in any Souls game. Give me 10 Izaliths over it.

I mean I didn't say it's flawless lol, but all my favorite games are full of flaws, even the ones I consider masterpieces like Quake 3 or GTA:SA. OTG (I assume you mean getting hit after being knocked down) didn't happen to me a lot, I agree hitting through walls was annoying, I don't use magic so I dunno about that one.

The area you're talking about is short, optional, and easy to kill the boss in. Then you can explore it for items. Doesn't even compare to Izalith or like half of DS2

Knurek

They're pretty decent actually, a good bit faster than the PS1 version. There are also some tweaks / cheats you can enable to make it faster, such as disabling the camera "fly-by" at the beginning of non-boss battles, and even an option to run at 2x speed that's like playing the game on fast-forward.

jshackles, what's your take on Steam Desktop Authenticator?
Is it safe enough for use for people without a smartphone?

ExoSoul

Banned
The
ring ghost lady

And then they do the
gapping dragon grab
on you and the fear/creepiness just crawls back in doubled.

Also you might want to put what they recycle in spoiler tags. You know it, I know it, but no need to advertise.
And on that note: At least they did it better than DS2. "DS2 is gonna be its own thing" - bunch of references that don't even make sense
some of them they even went back on
while on DS3 you get a proper sense of continuation.

Also bear in mind that while there's some
recycling they are in no means the same and have changed with time and or been expanded, just like the recycled
bosses

STEAM | April 2016 - The true Dark Souls III OT is right here

So I've played about 2 hours of Final Fantasy IX and I'm really liking the port so far. The promotional materials made it sound like it was just the character models that were improved but also the monsters, icons, etc and the text is super-sharp. It's a shame that videos run at 15fps and gameplay is capped at 30fps and that it's letterboxed, but otherwise I have no complaints. As others have said, the disparity between the character models and the backgrounds are a bit jarring, but some update is better than no update at all, and perhaps modders will fill in the gaps eventually now that it's on PC. I'm playing it at 1440p and it seems to scale well.

The menus, despite being bigger in general, are really not that bad. The music is still amazing and the story itself holds up. The achievements are a nice touch, some of these will be tough / impossible.

Besides the MMOs (XI and XIV) this is the only "mainline" Final Fantasy game I've never beat, and I plan on rectifying that.

Yup, I share the same feeling about the port as well. It's a good port, but not without flaws. I hope upcoming mods will be able to enhance the game further, especially for the backgrounds. I've spent 27 hours in the game so far. It's been a while since I played it, so even though I still remember the major plotlines, some of the scenes and whatnot are still refreshing for me.

Apparently the game has already sold 75k copies so far. Well deserved.

The way I define a good boss battle is that each time you play it, you get better at it. It'll feel more natural. I won't say I've mastered the Dark Souls bosses, but they give me very little trouble now compared to my first time. Except for Bed of Chaos, even in my 5th playthrough it still makes my blood boil. It comes down to luck, not skills, which I believe completely misses the whole essence of the fights. Nowadays I just quit the game after reaching the checkpoints, re-load my file and then start again right outside the fog gate.

That's a good point; while I found the puzzle-ish aspect of the BoC fight interesting the first time around, the second time it would just be a rote repetition of what I already know plus time wasted due to deaths. So I would probably end up feeling like you do.

But it neat trick with quitting and reloading, I'll have to remember that.

Alphahawk

Bought Brilliant Bob on sale for like 50 cents. It's awful. It's a 3D platformer that just feels incredibly bad and floaty. As far as I can tell there is no save system in the game, despite the fact that one would be appropriate. The game seems unable to figure out what the rules governing jumping are. sometimes you'll land on a platform and your momentum will cause you to fly off, while other times this does not seem to be a problem. Also the weight of things just feels awful.

Seeing FFIX sales (Already 74k and still at 3rd spot in Global Steam sales) it's baffling how much money SE is leaving on the table with that platform. There was absolutely ZERO marketing. It was a late release. Yet it still manages to sell this much and its not over yet. If these clowns had half a brain, FFXV would've been announced for PC at the uncovered event and FFIX released right after that. Having an offer of FFIX being a preorder bonus for FFXV or at least getting a good discount on it.

Knurek

Seeing FFIX sales (Already 74k and still at 3rd spot in Global Steam sales) it's baffling how much money SE is leaving on the table with that platform. There was absolutely ZERO marketing. It was a late release. Yet it still manages to sell this much and its not over yet. If these clowns had half a brain, FFXV would've been announced for PC at the uncovered event and FFIX released right after that. Having an offer of FFIX being a preorder bonus for FFXV or at least getting a good discount on it.

But then how would they sell sub-20fps, 900p FFXV to console gamers if they'd know they could just buy a proper working PC version?
It's not a bad move, really.

But then how would they sell sub-20fps, 900p FFXV to console gamers if they'd know they could just buy a proper working PC version?

They are probably losing more sales from day 1 PC buyers than they are gaining from double dippers IMO.

If this was the case, all AAA releases would bomb on console, granted they have a PC version on day one :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom