• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are people bitching about others talking about video games in here? I didn't know that this was a thread to just talk about a platform, sounds like a damn boring thread to me. I thought it was a thread for the platforms community to discuss games.

one day, i openly speak about the braid ending again without fear of possibly being chastised by those who can't make time to play a game that's nearly a decade old. until then, i must protect the secrets found in the ending to preserve the purity of those waiting for a window large enough to allow them to play a 5 hour game someday maybe

Jawmuncher

one day, i openly speak about the braid ending again without fear of possibly being chastised by those who can't make time to play a game that's nearly a decade old. until then, i must protect the secrets found in the ending to preserve the purity of those waiting for a window large enough to allow them to play a 5 hour game someday maybe

You really are the bad guy here, even if it doesn't seem that way.

That is correct. Otherwise what's the point of having OTs? Just for decorations? Discussing a game in more than a shallow way (e.g. how much it sold, the performance, etc. etc.) in platform threads doesn't make sense, try doing that with Witcher 3 or The Last of Us/Bloodborne in the GOG and PSN threads respectively.

Also, I don't understand why you'd think your posts would be ignored in the actual OT (which has only one goal: talking about the game) as opposed to a general thread like this Steam thread (which has tons of subjects and as a result a much higher chance of getting ignored).

You'd know if you actually went there. It goes at the speed of a bullet train and most often posts get ignored. Whereas this thread is at the speed of a coach.

Also, this really isn;t the first time a new & popular game has been discussed here.
Not sure if you've been ignorant or what, but you could have aired your complaints in previous occasions too.

That is correct. Otherwise what's the point of having OTs? Just for decorations? Discussing a game in more than a shallow way (e.g. how much it sold, the performance, etc. etc.) in platform threads doesn't make sense, try doing that with Witcher 3 or The Last of Us/Bloodborne in the GOG and PSN threads respectively.

Also, I don't understand why you'd think your posts would be ignored in the actual OT (which has only one goal: talking about the game) as opposed to a general thread like this Steam thread (which has tons of subjects and as a result a much higher chance of getting ignored).

But this is the Steam community thread, where discussion of games and recommendations, examples of which you can find in the thread's first post, occur. This has not, historically, been a place for simply discussing sales or performance. That's just a facet of what's covered here. A small one.

The community aspect addresses your second comment. People post here about things because people know each other here. I have an idea of whose opinions I can hang my hat on, and others I take with a grain of salt.

I think the purpose of an OT is laser-honed discussion. I don't think its for compartmentalizing the entirety of NeoGAF, since conversations aren't binary in real life and shouldn't be here. There's room for overlap.

That said, I will like to point out to Mr. Mighty Mighty Bosstone that, while anticipating the birth of his child, he'd discuss it in this thread, but hasn't said much after the baby's release date so he literally did the pre-release hype / post-release silence thing!

You really are the bad guy here, even if it doesn't seem that way.

i don't mind it if it allows a point to be made, that a majority of spoiler culture is utterly ridiculous and damn near absurdest. That people can't even mention the name of a zone in Dark Souls without someone shaking their spoiler stick at the thread because now their experience has lost some of its shimmer, that the purity has been spoiled, it's buckets of meh for them. there's nothing in a name, people are just being silly now

Jawmuncher

i don't mind it if it allows a point to be made, that a majority of spoiler culture is utterly ridiculous and damn near absurdest. That people can't even mention the name of a zone in Dark Souls without someone shaking their spoiler stick at the thread because now their experience has lost some of its shimmer, that the purity has been spoiled, it's buckets of meh for them. there's nothing in a name, people are just being silly now

Nah I wasn't being serious. I wrote that for something else.

Amzin

The only annoyance in the Steam threads has usually been and continues to be complaints about the content of the Steam thread. Those dialogues pop up arbitrarily and last far too long.

This is basically a social media thread for NeoGAF'ers that are on Steam and want to hang out. It has been that for years. It's easier to just accept that and move on than try and implement some inconsistent or unenforceable rules on it that are unneeded.

The thread succeeds very well at what it does, and it does it perfectly for me (despite the large amount of stuff I don't necessarily care about). It sounds like some people are looking for a different thread.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
The only annoyance in the Steam threads has usually been and continues to be complaints about the content of the Steam thread. Those dialogues pop up arbitrarily and last far too long.

This is basically a social media thread for NeoGAF'ers that are on Steam and want to hang out. It has been that for years. It's easier to just accept that and move on than try and implement some inconsistent or unenforceable rules on it that are unneeded.

The thread succeeds very well at what it does, and it does it perfectly for me (despite the large amount of stuff I don't necessarily care about). It sounds like some people are looking for a different thread.
This guy gets it.
I almost completly stopped posting the last time some bigger bashing of posts was happening in here.

Weirdly I think it was anime bashing when people was only posting about VNs on steam.

madjoki

Steam Desktop Authenticator and programs like it put me in a weird uncomfortable position. Personally, I don't believe it's worth potentially compromising your account security with - the program itself seems safe enough, unless someone updates it maliciously. Additionally, it removes the "2" from "2FA" (two factor authentication) meaning that if someone were to compromise your PC or gain remote access, having PC based authentication isn't going to prevent said attacker from logging into your account like having it on a separate device would.

Of course as others have pointed out, this stance does seem a bit hypocritical coming from someone who made programs like Idle Master where people had similar concerns of VAC banning or malicious updates that could steal your information.

So in this case I'd say it's probably fine to get around Valve's shenanigans as long as you don't mind your account being somewhat less secure than actually using Valve's 2FA and (maybe) if there is a way to disable automatic updates.

SDA doesn't actually update automatically, it just shows notification that new update is available.
It's still as secure as without mobile authenticator, but without delays on trades or market.

Jawmuncher

This guy gets it.
I almost completly stopped posting the last time some bigger bashing of posts was happening in here.

Weirdly I think it was anime bashing when people was only posting about VNs on steam.

im bashing this post for not having any pictures.

Arthea

I really don't get it, people use spoiler tags and this is the steam thread. As if some of you prefer no posts of essence in here at all.
Let steamgaf talk about games in here if they wish so, sensibly but still, it's better than anything else usually going on in here.

SDA doesn't actually update automatically, it just shows notification that new update is available.
It's still as secure as without mobile authenticator, but without delays on trades or market.

I'm not so sure about secure part. Do you personally check code after every update?
I use jshackles work, because he proven himself as being trustworthy, I'm not ready to give that kind of trust to some random people that can abuse it. You can only lose your account once and then it's over.

The one that always gets me is the anime self fulfilling prophecy.
  • User posts anime reaction image to something.
  • Other user acting like anime murdered his family and ruined his life, complains about anime.
  • User goes on to post more anime, in an even less relevant fashion because they knows it's annoying them.
  • Shitpost until both get tired.
Doesn't happen as much but, it's very dumb when it does. Both people are at fault when it happens. That said yes, people complaining that people aren't talking about their game of choice is ridiculous and other people bashing on other people's taste in games is just rude. Just sit back and relax and post if need be. The entire thread isn't going to be catered to just you.

MUnited83

For you.

I know, right? If something as simple as a mention of fucking location name (in a damn game where basically all names for the locations are generic epic fantasy nonsense that doesn't describe the area in any way) is enough to "ruin" people's experience, maybe they should have been playing the damn game by now.

The one that always gets me is the anime self fulfilling prophecy.
  • User posts anime reaction image to something.
  • Other user acting like anime murdered his family and ruined his life, complains about anime.
  • User goes on to post more anime, in an even less relevant fashion because they knows it's annoying them.
  • Shitpost until both get tired.
Doesn't happen as much but, it's very dumb when it does. Both people are at fault when it happens. That said yes, people complaining that people aren't talking about their game of choice is ridiculous and other people bashing on other people's taste in games is just rude. Just sit back and relax and post if need be. The entire thread isn't going to be catered to just you.
There's a even better version of it.
  • Dozens and dozen pages without a single mention of anime
  • Somebody posts how completely full of anime the thread is and how terrible anime is despite anime not being mentioned in the last 20 pages

Basically, whining posts are way more fucking obnoxious, exagerated, and actually derail discussion way more, and they end up causing the very thing they were complaining of, despite it not being a issue before they whined like a baby about it.
  • People post a crapload of anime gifs in response

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Why are some of you talking about Dark Souls III in here? Take that talk to either the OT or the spoiler thread, whichever you deem appropriate. I don't even feel I should be asking this in the first place. Or at the very least spoiler tag areas and other locations of interest.

You absolutely don't get to decide what people should talk and not talk about in here.

Of course we expect posters to use normal caution when it comes to spoilers, but implying that posters are not allowed to talk about the steam games they are playing in the steam thread is quite frankly absurd.

There is a dedicated steam news thread if you are afraid of anyone talking about a specific game or whatever.

My only problem with spoiler tags is that I sometimes accidentally click them. Good thing that I have a short memory. I guess I won't play DSIII in the near future anyway, so I'm good.

Arthea

whatever you say, ending spoilers are still spoilers and should be in spoiler tags, dammit!
don't compare it to a random location name like it's the same thing, it's not.

Grief.exe

This is basically a social media thread for NeoGAF'ers that are on Steam and want to hang out.

I think the content has been rock solid lately, with the majority being focused, on topic, discussion.

EDIT: That certainly helps

N1T1sl9.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Guile the family man
Not much of a change aside from costumes and shades. Was honestly expecting a beard, then again that's not usually Within regulation.

that stage isnt in the game either

Tenrius

While I agree with your general point, I think it's best to avoid posting any significant story details from story-heavy games (especially the ending) and, most importantly, the age of the game in question shouldn't be a factor. I personally play older games most of the time and don't think it's that uncommon. It shouldn't really matter how old the game is when you play it for the first time, it's still going to be new for you. It's actually related to a thread idea I've had for a while — about people playing only new games vs. those who play old ones, the concept of "backlogs" etc. It's the ultimate gaming theory that will neatly tie EVERYTHING together.

I mean, "spoiling" location names, weapons, enemies and whatever else in a Dark Souls game doesn't make sense at all, that's true. But it's also different from revealing important plot twists from, say, Policenauts or 999 just because those games are respectively 22 and 7 years old. UNLESS the person doing this doesn't realistically expect anyone play these game based on their age, just because they themselves never or almost never play older games. Which is just a wrong assumption.

That said, I will like to point out to Mr. Mighty Mighty Bosstone that, while anticipating the birth of his child, he'd discuss it in this thread, but hasn't said much after the baby's release date so he literally did the pre-release hype / post-release silence thing!

hahahahahaha. Yeah......my posting has gone down quite a bit since then. Combination of work and kid leave little time for other stuff. That and I've actually *gasp* been playing games.

I can confirm that the hype was warranted and there was no downgrade. Only 15 months after release and the Publisher is already talking about a sequel. Damn.

Thanks for remembering :-*

While I agree with your general point, I think it's best to avoid posting any significant story details from story-heavy games (especially the ending) and, most importantly, the age of the game in question shouldn't be a factor. I personally play older games most of the time and don't think it's that uncommon. It shouldn't really matter how old the game is when you play it for the first time, it's still going to be new for you. It's actually related to a thread idea I've had for a while — about people playing only new games vs. those who play old ones, the concept of "backlogs" etc. It's the ultimate gaming theory that will neatly tie EVERYTHING together.

I mean, "spoiling" location names, weapons, enemies and whatever else in a Dark Souls game doesn't make sense at all, that's true. But it's also different from revealing important plot twists from, say, Policenauts or 999 just because those games are respectively 22 and 7 years old. UNLESS the person doing this doesn't realistically expect anyone play these game based on their age, just because they themselves never or almost never play older games. Which is just a wrong assumption.

well yeah you have to use common sense. Don't spoil something that's entirely story driven without putting it in spoiler quotes shouldn't be something that (hopefully) people need explained to them. Especially with something like 999 where it's 99% story and the sequels all feed off of story elements from one another.

just use common sense. all the same, in situations where something isn't an explicit spoiler like the zone in a dark souls games then making a fuss out of nothing only hurts actual folks who might find another, real spoiler to be an issue. everyone is crying wolf so often that people are going to be desensitized to what constitutes a spoiler anymore and soon the fact that you fight the
first dragon born of unsullied cinder
at the end of dark souls 3 will be something people throw around like its normal.

I think we all just have to accept that people have different 'level' of spoilers tolerance. Some maybe find location spoiler is nothing, but others may say otherwise. I for one very sensitive to spoilers, I'd go as far as not watching any trailers other than the reveal ones, because most trailers are full of spoilers for me. I can accept characters/locations spoilers, but trailers usually have cutscenes/plots spoilers as well.

The crashing issues must be more pervasive than I thought.

1yn5xPP.png

It was 70% at day 2 back then. I thought it'll go downhill to mixed zone, but it seems that I was wrong.
The crash issue is indeed wellspread. I remember a 'crash thread' at day 1 with 2k+ posts.

I noticed many Chinese players have gave it a negative rating because Bamco raised the price.

It was actually stupid, because it was 199RMB before. Then in April they raised it to 268, so about 10$ more.

Though the chinese userbase on Steam seems really stupid. Its like they are 10 year olds, that cant read traditional chinese and demand that games should have simplified chinese for whatever reason. Thats kinda strange, since every Chinese I know learns traditional chinese and most songs in KTVs or dramas on TV are using traditional chinese because they are from taiwan.

Arthea

I think we all just have to accept that people have different 'level' of spoilers tolerance. Some maybe find location spoiler is nothing, but others may say otherwise. I for one very sensitive to spoilers, I'd go as far as not watching any trailers other than the reveal ones, because most trailers are full of spoilers for me. I can accept characters/locations spoilers, but trailers usually have cutscenes/plots spoilers as well.

but you see, trailers are full of spoilers! most of them anyway.
I'm also very touchy about spoilers, but I would never go so far as telling people not to discuss a game because of it.
I just nicely ask to use spoiler tags whenever in doubt and when talking about major things in games, be it plot devices or gameplay mechanics or game changing strategies, that is all. And even then, some spoilers will slip one way or another and it's not the end of a world really, considering internets are miserable pile of spoilers after all.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
My only problem with spoiler tags is that I sometimes accidentally click them. Good thing that I have a short memory. I guess I won't play DSIII in the near future anyway, so I'm good.
I started to dislike non-spoiler spoiler tags when I clicked on a Heavy Rain black bar and got one of the endings spoiled, because I thought it was a fake spoiler tag (still loved the game though, and did my best not to get that particular ending). Since then, I decided to never use them myself that way, and only save them for actual spoilers.

I agree with you. Fuck the statute of limitations. I still haven't played my copy of 999 and you'd be an asshole if you spoiled the endings to me (not you you, of course).

It was actually stupid, because it was 199RMB before. Then in April they raised it to 268, so about 10$ more.

Though the chinese userbase on Steam seems really stupid. Its like they are 10 year olds, that cant read traditional chinese and demand that games should have simplified chinese for whatever reason. Thats kinda strange, since every Chinese I know learns traditional chinese and most songs in KTVs or dramas on TV are using traditional chinese because they are from taiwan.
A combination of reading preference and general hostility against anything HK&TW I would guess.

A combination of reading preference and general hostility against anything HK&TW I would guess.

But even then I never knew anyone personally in China who acts like that. Like I said. Most subtitles for dramas and like all the popular KTV songs use traditional chinese and everyone I know can read it.
Must be either really stupid or really xenophobic...

And I mean Guandong-people also use traditional chinese.

but you see, trailers are full of spoilers! most of them anyway.
I'm also very touchy about spoilers, but I would never go so far as telling people not to discuss a game because of it.
I just nicely ask to use spoiler tags whenever in doubt and when talking about major things in games, be it plot devices or gameplay mechanics or game changing strategies, that is all. And even then, some spoilers will slip one way or another and it's not the end of a world really, considering internets are miserable pile of spoilers after all.

Yeah, sometimes I stumbled upon a major spoiler as well. But life goes on, I'll just have to deal with it.
I wasn't trying to support that particular post anyway.

I started to dislike non-spoiler spoiler tags when I clicked on a Heavy Rain black bar and got one of the endings spoiled, because I thought it was a fake spoiler tag (still loved the game though, and did my best not to get that particular ending). Since then, I decided to never use them myself that way, and only save them for actual spoilers.

Yeah, that's the problem. Sometimes people use fake spoiler tags for fun (me included lol). I guess I'll have to stop doing that as well.

But even then I never knew anyone personally in China who acts like that. Like I said. Most subtitles for dramas and like all the popular KTV songs use traditional chinese and everyone I know can read it.
Must be either really stupid or really xenophobic...

And I mean Guandong-people also use traditional chinese.
Well, real life is not the internet. You have no idea how many Chinese nationals come to FB, Twitter, news comment sections of any kind, to shit talk Taiwan, defend the PRC government and get off from the toxic nationalism. Most would ignore the irony of having to use VPN to do so.

Amzin

I think the content has been rock solid lately, with the majority being focused, on topic, discussion.

EDIT: That certainly helps

N1T1sl9.png

Social media is perhaps a loaded term, carrying some negative implications - I mean it in a positive sense here. I haven't had any complaints (aside from the complaint about complaints) in... I dunno, months.

I don't follow the thread 24/7 but I find out a lot of info about bundles, new games, upcoming games, industry shenanigans, the occasional Kickstarter (which I usually back), and feedback on games people are playing, which is important because sometimes I miss a release or just have no plans of getting it and it's enjoyable to see what other people are getting out of it. If it wasn't for this thread and the content therein, who knows how much more money I'd have saved up, but also how many gems I'd have missed out on.

Hell I even enjoy the animu reaction gifs in moderation. And the memes.

madjoki

I'm not so sure about secure part. Do you personally check code after every update?
I use jshackles work, because he proven himself as being trustworthy, I'm not ready to give that kind of trust to some random people that can abuse it. You can only lose your account once and then it's over.

Actually I do check it (and actually avoid updating it unless needed) and I do use it's SteamAuth library with my bots to automatically approve item transfers and generate login codes when needed.

But if we compare to actual mobile authenticator, yeah it's not secure.

Here is a crazy man prediction:
E3 2016- everything was VR

And even then no one has VR at that point...

I mean Oculus wants to release Touch in H2 2016, but most preorders arent even going out now. I have to wait till July, others till August...

ell, real life is not the internet. You have no idea how many Chinese nationals come to FB, Twitter, news comment sections of any kind, to shit talk Taiwan, defend the PRC government and get off from the toxic nationalism. Most would ignore the irony of having to use VPN to do so.

I actually met a lot of nationals when I was using chinese websites as a foreigner and participated in discussions. From "dey took er girls" to "Hitler was great!" to "I hate non-chinese"... I still didnt think it was that big though.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Here is a crazy man prediction:
E3 2016- everything was VR

You think? The only one I can really see bringing out a surprisingly big title there would be Sony to push the PS4K front. The PC headsets I think would have debuted with something meatier if they could have, and I'd be pretty surprised if Nintendo was hitting that scene. Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom