• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

I don't even know how to say this in a nice way, but are indie devs just not thinking long term when making deals with bundle sites?
Princess.Loot.Pixel.Again came out on Steam 5 days ago. Buying the bundle costs less than buying the game with its (still going) first week discount. Why do they undermine themselves like this?

I mean sure it's cheaper for me but it makes me scratch my head.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I don't even know how to say this in a nice way, but are indie devs just not thinking long term when making deals with bundle sites?
Princess.Loot.Pixel.Again came out on Steam 5 days ago. Buying the bundle costs less than buying the game with its (still going) first week discount. Why do they undermine themselves like this?

well it was bundled before anyway, I own it. Probably some greenlight bundle

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Rhaknar, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

GundeadliGne -- MB-C8E3B1BA2F712487 - Taken by fertygo
Hack, Slash, Loot -- MB-9038E4BC2554FC0C - Taken by Majukun
Hitogata Happa -- MB-BA7F4CC4FD360F3E - Taken by Vuze
Princess.Loot.Pixel.Again -- MB-C364D7BAA6A9356A - Taken by Deques
Loot Hero DX -- MB-C7A7A59DA55D0BA1 - Taken by fuzzy123
Akane the Kunoichi -- MB-68CD5277E7191A29 - Taken by voodooray
Gundemonium Recollection -- MB-7A3224C517B19D28 - Taken by nightstorm

ModBot said:
Instructions for Chairmanchuck:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Chairmanchuck, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Princess Loot Pixel Again -- MB-F9FDC0A4F7626D87 - Taken by Saty

Have fun.

MUnited83

For you.

well, to be fair, it was on three bundles already before it.

Aaron D.

1LnrXhO.gif

Nightmare fuel.

All this console nonsense is making me thankful I'm strictly PC (...+ Mobile). I just don't have the time to be bothered anymore. I'll just wait for things to eventually make there way onto Steam/PC/etc.

It took me one month to gear up and get 200k DPS..

It's not a hack, just an in-game glitch. The game is such a mess..
Doesn't that mean you one-shot every singly enemy and boss or do they scale with you?
2016-04-20.png

I guess this means releasing for steam on the same date too?
Which game se7en?
IMPORTANT WARNING:

If you get a message in DS3 regarding invalid data stop playing.
FROM is at it again with their genius anti-cheat system, once you're flagged (people still have no idea what's causing it, popular theory is that it's related to having XBOX/DualShock controllers plugged in) there's nothing you can do, no matter how you try to fix it the game will continue flagging you for invalid data leading to a ban.

I hadn't even noticed I had been flagged until EmergentFocus pointed it out, I thought it was just regular EULA stuff each time I logged in.

At least no more invaders right, right?
Oh that's right, now I'll get invaded by immortals...
SAF
I've been using my DS3 throughout the whole game and haven't encountered such a message nor no summon signs. Hope it stays this way. Getting banned from Co-Op in a souls game would be awful.

One thing about multiplayer I can say is, DS3 has the worst netcode (I believe it's called) of any souls game so far. Summoning is 80% a miss, many successful summons just "glide" without any animations and are invincible to attacks and vice versa. I was plenty times in glitched, gliding worlds as a summon where every enemy, even the boss had no animations and I was invincible. Hammered on them without any repercussions.
From should fix these issues. I'd like to go into NG+ & DLC with proper multiplayer interaction I'm used to from other souls games.

new game by gunpoint's dev...also new store page!
Almost forgot about this. Watched a dev commentary video on an early build many months ago last year. Looks interesting.
meh, my teenage daughter does almost the exact same thing when I ask her if she did her homework yet.
635892009166823522619418433_8.gif

Urgh, Dad. You just don't understand me!

Nzyme32

All this console nonsense is making me thankful I'm strictly PC (...+ Mobile). I just don't have the time to be bothered anymore. I'll just wait for things to eventually make there way onto Steam/PC/etc.

Same.

The gaming side is pooing itself in hypotheticals and comparisons for everything. Meanwhile with PC, all that matters is that the game itself is capable and flexible to hardware. I currently have an almost 5 year old laptop that was midrange when bought, still scaling to all manner of games coming out - yet as soon as I want better hardware, all of those will be enhanced and scalable, as they will be well into the future.

Pretty much everything I want eventually has come to PC thanks to its profitability and ever increasing popularity. With so much content, insanely diverse and with genres that don't even exist elsewhere, there's no need to even feel a "wait" for games to eventually show up.

Same.

The gaming side is pooing itself in hypotheticals and comparisons for everything. Meanwhile with PC, all that matters is that the game itself is capable and flexible to hardware.

The thing is that on the gaming side it seems people are plain stupid or naive. I mean people think they can play Uncharted in 4k/60fps, the Ps4k will be comparable to a PC with a triple 980TI SLI combination.
I mean its not really surprising, since they also always quoted Cerny, when they themselves didnt actually know what he was talking about...

I also dont need a console right now. I get my japanese games on Steam now, still have a huge backlog and wouldnt even have time to play on consoles because of the backlog.

Ludens

Banned
Same.

The gaming side is pooing itself in hypotheticals and comparisons for everything. Meanwhile with PC, all that matters is that the game itself is capable and flexible to hardware. I currently have an almost 5 year old laptop that was midrange when bought, still scaling to all manner of games coming out - yet as soon as I want better hardware, all of those will be enhanced and scalable, as they will be well into the future.

Pretty much everything I want eventually has come to PC thanks to its profitability and ever increasing popularity. With so much content, insanely diverse and with genres that don't even exist elsewhere, there's no need to even feel a "wait" for games to eventually show up.

I agree too. I mean, I managed to get a PS4 for 125€ used, great deal etc. etc.
I took it only to play some exclusives I really care about, like Uncharted and The Last Guardian, so it was cheap enough to make the purchase for me.
I still don't own a single game on this platform, and a new console is going to be released.
Consolle were great because they were a "purchase now, play for some years without thinking too much thing".

Now you need to:

-update your console frequently
-update your games, with 20GB updates on D1 in and there
-pay a fee to play online
-pay 70€ for a D1 game (at least, this is the price in Italy if you can't find any offer), anyway expensive compared to a PC game, which usually was 50€ max, but now is 60€ too (luckily you can find more deals on PC).

Just...no.
Console lost the major feature they had, immediacy. And now iterative console will make the situation even worse, in my opinion, becase:

-there should be just one leading platform: if it's base PS4, than NEO is useless, and people will spend money on that for nothing.
-if it's NEO, than the currently PS4 base will be screwed up with games running even worse they used too because the lead platform is the superior model.

The whole situation is a mess, anyway, and I'm stick with the opinion Sony and Microsoft should have delayed the "current" gen in order to provide two performing machines, avoiding to go with with cheap and outdated GPU like they did. Because the gap between a PS3 and a PS4 is not so big like the gap between a PS2 and a PS3, in example.

The whole situation is a mess, anyway, and I'm stick with the opinion Sony and Microsoft should have delayed the "current" gen in order to provide two performing machines, avoiding to go with with cheap and outdated GPU like they did. Because the gap between a PS3 and a PS4 is not so big like the gap between a PS2 and a PS3, in example.

the launch of the PS4 and XB1 wasn't a rushed effort, it was a risk adverse effort. No one was sure that consoles were still a thing and, thus, no one was willing to release a machine that took a significant loss out of the gate like they had before. They went safe with the specs, though as a PC gamer one look at the spec sheet and it was plainly obvious that they went way too safe.

so their solution to fucking up and taking a generational half step is to take another generational half step. unless there's a decent trade in program I will happily say fuck it to them for this whole shitshow and good luck getting me to buy the New Playstation in 2-3 years after this thing hits

Ludens

Banned
the launch of the PS4 and XB1 wasn't a rushed effort, it was a risk adverse effort. No one was sure that consoles were still a thing and, thus, no one was willing to release a machine that took a significant loss out of the gate like they had before. They went safe with the specs, though as a PC gamer one look at the spec sheet and it was plainly obvious that they went way too safe.

so their solution to fucking up and taking a generational half step is to take another generational half step. unless there's a decent trade in program I will happily say fuck it to them for this whole shitshow and good luck getting me to buy the New Playstation in 2-3 years after this thing hits

Why do you say consolle weren't a thing? PS3 and 360 did pretty well, with a big recognition.

Anyway, take this:

ModBot said:
Instructions for Ludens:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ludens, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Gears of War 4 Beta -- MB-8DE69EF9818C68DA - Taken by Lashley

Why do you say consolle weren't a thing? PS3 and 360 did pretty well, with a big recognition.

Anyway, take this:

the PS3 and 360 were rapidly declining at the end of the long generation and the wii stopped selling alongside the wii u bombing. There was a lot of uncertainty in the market which led to both MS and Sony not taking major risks with the costs of their machines.

Ludens

Banned
the PS3 and 360 were rapidly declining at the end of the long generation and the wii stopped selling alongside the wii u bombing. There was a lot of uncertainty in the market which led to both MS and Sony not taking major risks with the costs of their machines.

Well, PS3 and 360 stopped selling because the market is not infinite, I believe. The WiiU bombed for other reasons, partially because of Nintendo's fault, and partially because it was basically a WII with a big pad attached to it. Good games came after, but the lack of third party titles was a big issue.

What I find weird about the Neo is that the cpu was already the weakest link in the vanilla PS4 and now the gpu gets a considerable upgrade while the cpu only gets a clock increase.
Seems like an unbalanced system, but developers have been using the system for a few years now so I'm assuming they know what they're doing, can't help but think that the cpu will be holding it back.

What I find weird about the Neo is that the cpu was already the weakest link in the vanilla PS4 and now the gpu gets a considerable upgrade while the cpu only gets a clock increase.
Seems like an unbalanced system, but developers have been using the system for a few years now so I'm assuming they know what they're doing, can't help but think that the cpu will be holding it back.
it's literally the same cpu just clocked higher.

they're not going crazy with this thing, yeah it's a better machine but it'll still be cpu bound so lol asscreed games. Still, this is what we should've got at the beginning of the gen instead of a pretty decent gaming netbook

mp1990

Banned
The only thing that still keep me tied to consoles scene is Nintendo, and once they cease developing its own hardware and go full third party (which, I'll admit, a part of me hopes it'll take a long while), I'm definitely done with consoles. Been 5 months since I joined PC gaming, and since then I've seen no reasons to come back to my PS4.

Anno

I'm in. I really enjoyed my time with Gunpoint.

Plus, Tom Francis' blog was cool and he struck me as a really solid, authentic person. We could use more of those types around.

Yeah Tom is pretty amazing to listen to when he talks about games. He loves systems in games so much and playing around with them, usually makes for good stories. Part of the reason why Crate & Crowbar is the best games podcast going.

Ozium

Why would you be mad that a good game outsells a bad one tho

LR is the best FF game to date.

Lighting Returns
Owners: 150,782 ± 9,077

If the trend continues it will overtake most of the FF games

That's sad that mobile ports do better than the greatest FF game ever made. "Gamers."

this is how I felt seeing sales data for 9

but why?
do you hate FF9 or something?

I like FF9 but the battles are really fucking slow in that game, why? but it's no LR, the best damn FF game ever made.

I don't know why you are upset people are buying good Final Fantasy games again.

LR is the Majora's Mask of Final Fantasy games.

It is gives you the freedom to play it how you want, you save people's souls, the side quests are actually fun/interesting... Lightning is in it.

Sch1sm

Looks pretty cool also this reminds me to play gunpoint, i always forget.

I bought and played it 2014 Winter Sale on Stump's recommendation and had no regrets. Climbed to one of my favourites immediately. That jazz soundtrack, so strong. It's not too long, either. Single sitting work, easily.

LR is the Majora's Mask of Final Fantasy games.

It is gives you the freedom to play it how you want, you save people's souls, the side quests are actually fun/interesting... Lightning is in it.

Eh, I see your point but, maybe if it had nothing to do with the plot of the first 2 13 games, I would say it's better.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Looks amazing. I've been playing the crap out of ESO on the PS4, there is so much stuff to do in that game it's crazy. I bought all the DLC when the coins went on sale on PSN a few weeks ago and started in on some of the thieves guild stuff just the other day.

I'm definitely looking forward to the Dark Brotherhood being available, it's easily one of my favorite Oblivion/Skyrim guilds (especially Oblivion) so it'll be interesting to see how they tackle it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom