• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2017 - Fly me to the Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vibranium

Banned
I started playing CoD Infinite Warfare and so far i really like it (i played for hour, hour and a half maybe). And damn those cutscenes are almost movie level of quality.

Even in game graphics are ok

Can't wait to see CoD WWII cutscenes. The HD aircraft, tanks and boats will hopefully be a sight to behold. And the gun models.

Hoping for a level or two in the Ardennes for snow environments (or Russia). Otherwise, I'll keep waiting for BiA until the end of time I guess.

xezuru

So, I beat Metro Last Light, and I kind of can see why people like the first game over the latter?
Metro-Last-Light-Redux-05.png
For context, I finished Metro 2033 with 7 hours on Spartan which seems decently quick as I feel like I had a mediumish exploration effort, what I enjoyed was the setting and discovery of it, pseudo living through Artyom as his "first" walks outside of his station, and being very grounded while still implementing interesting supernatural elements. What I didn't like was that the game never gave me time to absorb the setting. Artyom's first romp outside is staged with high importance in his commentary but things like Stations being barely explorable and exited in less then 10 minutes, the overworld being "too apocalyptic" being a characterless grey with very little distinguishing city characteristics, and all your npcs/enemies are kind of treated as vending machine saviors/monsters. Characters appear for one segement to be your just in time savior and pretty much only have one arbitrary objective to let you through before disappearing and despawning from your memory, and animal monsters pretty much just are enemies although there are some nice monster focused areas I honestly can't think of one thing about them to add to the setting narrative.

When it comes to Last Light, I decided to play on Spartan Ranger Hardcore? Whatever hudless silly stuff difficulty it is. I would describe my playthrough as 90% stealth, apparently ai's just saw me through a train on one of the ambushes and didn't count my stealth even though there wasn't any alert, shrug, 75-85% non-lethal, most of the lethality was honestly accidental early on accidentally hitting the lethal button on stealth, but there were some times where I just didn't want to bother with one human and moved on, 99% "non-violent" in story sequences and everything seemed to present in "choice" scenario. Story/Setting wise, this is where I can see the separation between this game and the former game. Last Light is obviously focused on the main story scenario more then pretty much anything. There's more focus on the plot, less Artyom randomly stumbling from station to station. This results in a less solemn explorer theme and more mission based feel, a more cohesive story but then that story is also
sometimes heavily dipped in the not-nazi/alien baby chronicles
, instead of being about people trying to survive in the metro. The loss of the explorer feel takes a hit off the imersion but on the same note, the outer/monster levels, I find, are way more varied and interesting in color palette and identity, with
catacombs, swamps, artyoms forsaken city, ect
, and stuff like that was a nice change from the first game, with this game specifically, finally giving me the feel of "living" in a station, albeit, in a very short and sparse one off station. While a more character focused story is definitely usually more preferable to me, the ones in Last Light are still kind of laughable,
the not-nazi, the hardass love interest, the betrayers you forgive, the mysterious alien whisperer
. Knowing the definitive change in focus, there are a lot of things I did enjoy though, the stealth while still being simple and funneled was definitely WAY WIDER and it was enjoyable not to have giant white arrows on every corner telling the about every stealth route. While the boss fights are still a little bit too cheeze, I do like their inclusion showing unique areas and monsters adaptive and unique to them, and how to fight different monsters. There was a way bigger sense of scale within the metros and their population, which was nice, although I wish there was more "what's living in this station like".

Overall, the games are very close to me, although I think the world variety in the latter gives me a slight preference over 2033 even if it is a little to Hollywood.

8/10--------

PS, if they make a Metro 3, which I would like and enjoy, I hope they fucking relook at their systems, Ranger Hardcore pretty much added nothing interesting imo, just the lack of hud being frustrating because they're not supported by gameplay, never know how much gold/ammo you have or are picking up, having to spend 5 seconds pulling up a obj board and putting it away to fix this (just make a physical pick up animation where you look at the clip with x bullets), no way to tell which secondary weapon you have out without doing the board thing, there's a slight soundbyte but really when you scroll the wheel you should just pull out the weapon, and sequences and qtes themselves not being supported without hud (there's literally only one point where you hold E instead of spam, at least one where it matters over the other, and you turn a wheel to open a door but tapping just makes it look like the doors stuck). Also I absolutely HATE their arbitrairy morality system, Metro 2033, their foreshadowing was so direct that I ran into the
Black ones in every vision
and didn't want to shoot them at all, yet I got the bad ending. In Last Light I stealthed the majority and went nonviolent for the majority while saving every single person I felt able to and still got another bad ending, shrug. It's really dumb.

Still, good game, hope it's tweeked and able to have a future iteration.

Besides the lack of options to remap the keyboard controls, Little King Story has been funny and charming so far. I want to see where the story goes, because I have this feeling that things may take some turn.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Nope, too easy to take screenshots there 👋

I've made sure to have my phone at the ready when I play just for it

you joke (or not) but yeah seeing their insane stance with P5 (stupid prompt saying you cant broadcast this "scene" coming up every time) makes it pretty clear they wont touch PC any time soon if ever.

Im still holding out hope for Nioh tho, even if I've been kinda back in a console mood this year (I dont remember the last time where I bought 3 console games in one year, let alone 3 months). I might grab it eventually in a sale tho when things slow down and theres no signs of a PC release.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
is the GTA V singleplayer even fun/worth?

i remember kinda hating the 3 protagonists so I just stopped....

Yeah, it's a blast. There are a lot of entertaining missions, especially as they become more elaborate later on. I enjoyed all 3 characters with Franklin being my personal fav.

data

I just finished Neptunia Rebirth 1.

All I can describe it as is a game that the devs literally gave no fuck about. None of the fights are balanced. I never had a battle where I felt it was challenging but fair.
Either it was too difficult or it was too easy where the enemies hit me for 0 damage. I would definitely have given up if I weren't following a guide.

Not sure I want to play 2 and 3 because from what I've seen they don't even have any new areas and use the same combat and plans system, so I think I'll just skip straight to VII whenever I feel like playing one of these games again.

Teggy

Ya seriously. How the heck did I get Heroes of the Storm as the top recommendation from this?

VKt4AwW.png

It was number 1 for me and it was like 90% correlation and then nothing else was higher than 10, even a game I actually put in my list of favorite 3 games of all time lol.

zkylon

zkylewd
i'm in a minority here but i found gta 5 to be really boring

i stopped playing it because of how distasteful and uninteresting it was

then again i'm also in the minority that actually likes gta 4

I liked GTA4 a lot. Not enough to play it for more than a week, but I got 100% in that time so I had my fill.

Still waiting on 5 to hit that $20 sweetspot. I can wait as long as need be.

valeo

I kind agree. The GTA structure for missions is just old-hat now; they need to shake it up next time.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I have a couple of coupons I don't need, one for 40% off Inside, and one for 20% off Beat Cop. Whoever wants 'em, PM me.

Damn it. Lots of stuff are happening in the same day.

- Yooka-Laylee releases
- Cosmic Star Heroine releases
- Bayonetta Steam announcement
- Overwatch update announcement
- Dragon Quest XI announcement
- RIP Windows Vista
- Some other smaller announcements

What's with April 11th?

FoneBone

FYI for those outside the UK (like me): this is nominally "region-locked", but all you need to do is change your account's primary address to a valid UK address. You don't need a VPN or a UK billing address, and the key itself worked in the US without any issue.

This might be a price error, but I can't see it getting any cheaper before Activision delists it, so get on that.

Bluth54

I'm in the super minority of people who haven't liked any GTA games they've played.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

- Yooka-Laylee releases
- RIP Windows Vista

What's with April 11th?

the meteor hits

finally, we can be released from this suffering and be released from gaben's money hungry claws

you know it brother walrus

zkylon

zkylewd
I liked GTA4 a lot. Not enough to play it for more than a week, but I got 100% in that time so I had my fill.

Still waiting on 5 to hit that $20 sweetspot. I can wait as long as need be.
i think i bought it for something like that? can't remember

if u liked gta 4 you'll probably like 5

I kind agree. The GTA structure for missions is just old-hat now; they need to shake it up next time.
yeah, i also felt like the location (california or whatever) was really boring compared to new york

I'm in the super minority of people who haven't liked any GTA games they've played.
and i think your opinion is more than valid as the gta series has lots to dislike

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
That "Microsoft is eventually going to rule gaming" thread sure is something. Everything from people claiming PC has no games or exclusives that console players want or that PC gaming is going to die.

Most recent post at the time of me posting this:

Really??? I dot think Valve will survive in the future. SteamVR will likely loose its lead to Microsoft and the same with Steam, Microsoft can change the PC architecture and force native games to Windows Store. They can have the capability to do that move.

Valve's ecosystem relies on X86-64, without it Valve is useless and we all know that X64 without the x86 extension will likely be gone in the future. Judging on how Microsoft and Intel really want to get rid of X86 and start clean with a pure X64 implementation.

Arulan

It never ceases to amaze me how some people actively support authoritarian practices by companies and agendas designed to remove customer rights.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Also my hot take on the Grand theft Auto series: The only one I've really fully enjoyed is GTAV, and that's in big part due to its increased online functionality, and for me a much more 'lush' world.

I have much preferred Rockstar's Red Dead & Bully games, and hoping Red Dead Redemption 2 will be good. Though I'm still upset they for whatever reason just refuse to bring that series to PC.

if anything, gaming has become increasingly platform agnostic, as far as I can tell. Also, most games effectively run on Android now (certainly in absolute numbers, literally millions of units versus a couple of million at best on anything else). It's always bizarre to see gaming discussion STILL thinking it's 1999 and there is only console vs PC and not smartphones, tablets, Linux mainstream support, that are bigger than either "camp" is.
Oh yeah, and I guess Apple is hanging in there as well, or something.

Prurient

Banned
Glad I stayed out of that thread, not even worth the mild entertainment. I'm happy with people being fans and dedicated to one thing in a certain space, but monopolies are never a good thing.

Heck Microsoft "ruled" the OS space for years, and look at the dark days we used to have there.

NeoRaider

I also stopped plying GTA V because it became too boring for me. But i never really liked any GTA game so i am not even sure why i spent my money on V.

deejay

- Yooka-Laylee releases
- RIP Windows Vista

What's with April 11th?

Don't forget the Sexy Brutale release. I just hope it will be good, because it looks amazing.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Now there is an idea for a game. Control celestial objects and ram into planets. A reverse Katamari Damacy.

MaxiLive

is the GTA V singleplayer even fun/worth?

i remember kinda hating the 3 protagonists so I just stopped....

I really enjoyed GTA V SP. The 3 characters was kinda off putting for me to start off with but as soon as the story picks up the switching is less jarring and makes sense in the missions.

It was mainly the characters that kept me invested in the game and some of the grander missions were pretty interesting. I do miss the older GTA games that felt more arcadey and dumb though with you spending your time between missions scouting for hidden packages or upgrading cars.

The story is the key component in 5 though and even though there are a lot of quirky side missions I felt like I was more b lining to the next story mission than derping around a sandbox. That could be open world fatigue on my part though.

Uzzy

I'd argue that murderfucking Slannesh into existence is worse than a colony drop. You can even do that in Stellaris now, which is nice.

Kudo

you joke (or not) but yeah seeing their insane stance with P5 (stupid prompt saying you cant broadcast this "scene" coming up every time) makes it pretty clear they wont touch PC any time soon if ever.

Im still holding out hope for Nioh tho, even if I've been kinda back in a console mood this year (I dont remember the last time where I bought 3 console games in one year, let alone 3 months). I might grab it eventually in a sale tho when things slow down and theres no signs of a PC release.

It's 40$ at Amazon right now.
First DLC hits in May, P5 will surely keep me busy until that and more though.

Arthea

did we know this already

6PsC1sn.jpg

Operation Babel: New Tokyo Legacy will launch for PS Vita and PC on May 16 in North America and May 19 in Europe.

edited: yeah, we know

too many games... it gets confusing

Tales of Berseria is the same way on the consoles, yet that came to PC!

Now there is an idea for a game. Control celestial objects and ram into planets. A reverse Katamari Damacy.

And potential (test) mechanism: using smaller parts as asteroids to see what materials the impact releases so you'll know if re-assembly is possible after colliding with it. You have to sacrifice yourself to find something to grow yourself, in this scheme.
It's how the space agencies actually do it in real-life too when instruments have reached the end of their mission and can only serve one last purpose. They get crashed into the celestial body to find out what is released. Maybe they could have some fun with this if nobody else wants to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom