• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2017 - Fly me to the Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
This RPGCodex interview with Brian Fargo and other leads at inXile is pretty brutal. They're pretty forthcoming in the answers at least.

They released a game that suffered annoying bugs, pacing issues, missing stretch goal content, and a console port that none of the backers really wanted. The writing is ok for what it is. I actually liked the game pretty well, which is quite a bit more than a lot of people around here. It obviously didn't hold a candle to the original but it probably never had a chance of selling well.

Not to mention that 2017 has had an insanely high number of great games being released. It's rough out there for niche have like this.

Hektor

This RPGCodex interview with Brian Fargo and other leads at inXile is pretty brutal. They're pretty forthcoming in the answers at least.

Brian: Well, specific to Wasteland 3, I think if you liked Wasteland 2, you’re going to love Wasteland 3. It’s just as deep, just as morally nuanced, combat system is the same

That's... not very great? The combat felt good, but the actual fighting was boring, brainless, far too easy and overall just not particularily exciting.

I guess it's more of a balance thing, but still, i hope they fix all that

Anno

They released a game that suffered annoying bugs, pacing issues, missing stretch goal content, and a console port that none of the backers really wanted. The writing is ok for what it is. I actually liked the game pretty well, which is quite a bit more than a lot of people around here. It obviously didn't hold a candle to the original but it probably never had a chance of selling well.

Not to mention that 2017 has had an insanely high number of great games being released. It's rough out there for niche have like this.

I agree it was always going to be an uphill battle. Even in that regard though I think this level of sales performance is pretty woeful. SteamSpy has it at somewhere between 100k and maybe 120k and presumably close to 74,000 of those could be Kickstarter copies being redeemed.

Makes me wonder what the future holds for inXile unless Wasteland 3 performs very well. Will people come back for another Kickstarter Fig? And what does this mean for the likes of Deadfire and Original Sin 2? I hope the well isn't too poisoned.

It 100% came out at a horrible time. I backed it in Kickstarter but I haven't touched it because I didn't want to start a long RPG with Zelda, NieR, and Persona all around the corner. If I didn't have it already I wouldn't have bought it on release.

I think we have a winner. :)
Looks so cool and classy.

Looks nice, though no butts. :(

Durante

It's not that long (I completed it in 30 hours and I'm never all that fast in RPGs).
I found it very unique and worthwhile, though it's not on par with its spiritual predecessor. Though that was to be expected, since actually being on par would make it the (co-) best game of all time ;)

The Witcher 3 is a game which both has AAA production values and actually is good. A rare combination :p

Nzyme32

Interesting, usually I'm with InfinitieNine on this, I hate scanlines, but when I see the quoted image below it, I think it looks great. So I guess if I play things via my Steam Link I'd like the scanlines? Because I definitely hate them sitting right in front of my monitor. Thanks for the explanation Nzyme, I'd never had anyone really explain why the scanlines works.

I think the difference is really good, though I have only tried this natively, and now that you mention it, I am quite curious if the bit rate from something like Steam Link will cause some issues or not - hopefully not.

I don't know the exact science behind why it looks good at a distance, but I always assume it is something to do with the pixelised low resolution nature of the images - which for older games is much more akin to the CRTs they were designed to run on.

Dishonored 2 is amazingly fun to play with high chaos, pulling enemies and civilians with Far Reach power is hilarious, i laughed out loud when i did this for the first time. Emily high chaos comments is hilarious as well, whoever wrote this shit is genius. Though, Far Reach is not as good as Corvo's blink for movement, i died few times after using this power for some weird reason, just bam and all my health gone. Also, i wish there is option to disable powers, i bought Blood Thirst and i didn't like how it works. But still, it's great to see that game is fun to play both stealth and massacre mode, just like original Dishonored.

Knurek

I don't know the exact science behind why it looks good at a distance, but I always assume it is something to do with the pixelised low resolution nature of the images - which for older games is much more akin to the CRTs they were designed to run on.

All you need to know about why scanlines are (often) necessary:
before:

0001.jpg

after:

0001_3.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
dunno if Skyforge is any good or not, but just the fact that it doesnt use a seperate account and you just log in with your steam name is a good way to make me want to try it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It very well be me fucking it up

But this is the 2nd time I've had troubles wiith ModBot giveaways

I did what your tutorial said to do, but lol no dice from the bot

I'm seeing you receive two PMs from ModBot in the last day:
Code:
15 00:50:39     GA: Giveaway process: new giveaway created by Nomadic Sparks
15 00:50:39     GA: Giveaway Process: Added setup PM to giver Nomadic Sparks to PM queue
15 00:50:41     GA: PM Queue: PM Sent to Nomadic Sparks with subject Thanks! Here's your post code! using ModBot 1
15 11:57:55     GA: Giveaway process: new giveaway created by Nomadic Sparks
15 11:57:55     GA: Giveaway Process: Added setup PM to giver Nomadic Sparks to PM queue
15 11:57:58     GA: PM Queue: PM Sent to Nomadic Sparks with subject Thanks! Here's your post code! using ModBot 1

Did you not receive these PMs? Is your inbox full?

My giveaway was created yesterday. Is it still good? How would I even know it's messed up? Someone is gonna win Bayonetta and enjoy it.

The bug being referred to has to do with ModBot not correctly posting anonymous giveaways. If your giveaway was not anonymous, it is working fine; and if your giveaway was anonymous but posted, it is working fine. I can confirm that I fixed that bug earlier when I said I fixed it and anonymous giveaways work fine now. Not sure what trouble Nomadic Sparks is having.

I'm seeing you receive two PMs from ModBot in the last day:
Code:
15 00:50:39     GA: Giveaway process: new giveaway created by Nomadic Sparks
15 00:50:39     GA: Giveaway Process: Added setup PM to giver Nomadic Sparks to PM queue
15 00:50:41     GA: PM Queue: PM Sent to Nomadic Sparks with subject Thanks! Here's your post code! using ModBot 1
15 11:57:55     GA: Giveaway process: new giveaway created by Nomadic Sparks
15 11:57:55     GA: Giveaway Process: Added setup PM to giver Nomadic Sparks to PM queue
15 11:57:58     GA: PM Queue: PM Sent to Nomadic Sparks with subject Thanks! Here's your post code! using ModBot 1

Did you not receive these PMs? Is your inbox full?

The bug being referred to has to do with ModBot not correctly posting anonymous giveaways. If your giveaway was not anonymous, it is working fine; and if your giveaway was anonymous but posted, it is working fine. I can confirm that I fixed that bug earlier when I said I fixed it and anonymous giveaways work fine now. Not sure what trouble Nomadic Sparks is having.

I had not received a receipt after creating the giveaway this morning

my PM box was not filled.

But I will try again.

What am I smoking? I did get a receipt but it never posted smh

ModBot said:
Instructions for Nomadic Sparks:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Nomadic Sparks, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Blood 2: The Chosen (Including Expansion) -- MB-AFFCCBB9430AAFB1 - Taken by Kurt Russell. 1 entrants total.
F3AR -- MB-A94729C9CDBA32C2 - Taken by fuzzy123. 1 entrants total.
FEAR 2 -- MB-B66AAC51A2DE838F - Taken by ThirtyFour. 1 entrants total.
FEAR 2 Reborn -- MB-33D7B4FD7762C9D1 - Taken by Kagemusha. 2 entrants total.
Mad Max -- MB-BB5C16575D885069 - Taken by aqws. 9 entrants total.
One Whole Unit of Blood -- MB-BF8C432B62490C7D - Taken by data. 2 entrants total.
Onikira: Demon Killer -- MB-70AA0C0FD6C43294 - Taken by Purkake4. 1 entrants total.
Septerra Core -- MB-70AA0C0FD6C43294 - Taken by Purkake4. 1 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: One or more keys you added were already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1492295470z1.png

???

gabbo

Was Tides seen as that bad? I haven't played it because, well I have a backlog a mile long and a huge CRPG wouldnt help, but i thought it was at least well received, but maybe not glowingly

zkylon

zkylewd
the rpgcodex interview is interesting, despite the tone and everything

i haven't been following torment but i did get the feeling that the way inxile handled kickstarter campaigns wasn't the most healthy, so i can see how it blew up on their faces

crazy to read steam backers can't review those games on steam, sigh...

Just fired up GoNNER and it's blowing me away. The sound and visual design are out of this world. Can't say too much about the gameplay yet, except that it reminds me of Downwell.

It's 66% off until Monday. Be aware that at some point it's probably going to end up in a monthly bundle (the other two games published by Raw Fury have been featured in the HMB). But I'm not a subscriber and I wanted to play this now, so I don't care.

Anno

Was Tides seen as that bad? I haven't played it because, well I have a backlog a mile long and a huge CRPG wouldnt help, but i thought it was at least well received, but maybe not glowingly

I don't know that the general consensus is that it's bad. It's probably disappointing to a lot of people, and a number of backers I'm sure feel at least somewhat betrayed by some of the cuts made to Kickstarted features. If it was able to be played absent all of the baggage it would probably be just a very competent and enjoyable cRPG in its style.

fantomena

Finished The Last Guardian. Yeah, Im not playing anything else for a while. Game made me shed a tear or two twice. Trico is cute btw. Damn good game.

Purkake4

Banned

I don't know that the general consensus is that it's bad. It's probably disappointing to a lot of people, and a number of backers I'm sure feel at least somewhat betrayed by some of the cuts made to Kickstarted features. If it was able to be played absent all of the baggage it would probably be just a very competent and enjoyable cRPG in its style.
It isn't what it set out to be, cuts or no. It feels like a half-assed love letter to Planescape Torment, instead of taking that subgenre forward it tried too hard to be another PST. They'd have been better off trying something new on their own.

It's an ok game, but it will probably take a year or so of fixing and adding missing content to be "complete".

Vamphuntr

Characters and plot are interesting (if not a bit too much like Planescape Torment). Battles are awful because they last forever, the coding is shoddy and the game can crash during them. You can play and level up for hours without fighting then you are in a fight and not very sure what to do because you never fought before and dumped points in stat and skills without understanding what they do. Console versions are apparently broken.

I'm actually really digging Yooka Laylee and I'm glad I gave it a shot despite a few rough edges with the camera. Anyone else playing through it?

Also the recent Tides patch made battles much, much faster and it's no longer something I'd consider an issue. I stopped at a battle towards the end where it'd take almost 2 minutes to get back to my characters and now the enemies make their moves within 30 seconds.

All you need to know about why scanlines are (often) necessary:

wow, huge difference
I'm actually really digging Yooka Laylee and I'm glad I gave it a shot despite a few rough edges with the camera. Anyone else playing through it?

Also the recent Tides patch made battles much, much faster and it's no longer something I'd consider an issue. I stopped at a battle towards the end where it'd take almost 2 minutes to get back to my characters and now the enemies make their moves within 30 seconds.

I'll most likely get it during the summer, hopefully by then theres a sale and they patched up the camera issues.

Ah, I didn't do it anonymously. Thanks.

Everybody get your chance in now, raffle ends in ~2.5 hours! Everybody deserves a chance to play Platinum's best.

Lomax

The Torment project was probably the worst offender when it came to stretch goal creep. And let's be honest, of all the projects the only one that might have been more driven by pure nostalgia is the double fine adventure. Plus I'll bet if the Kickstarter had happened after the Wasteland 2 release instead of before, people would have been a little more cautious.

Hektor

Only played and finished most of the first world so far, but the game is about what i hoped it would be when i backed it.

Far from being a 2/10 game certainly

xezuru

Haven't played it but replaying Banjo-Tooie and I still hella admire this game but it's pretty clear that the worse moments of the game is when the questions "Where do I even go?" or "Ugh, I missed that last thing, where in the fuck". Do any of those apply to your playthrough of YL personally? Still interested when there's a sale.

So I got Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes because a non-gamer friend of mine wanted to try playing games with me. I figured, they wouldn't have to buy anything, just go to the free manual, right?

I think we got through the first three bombs in a couple of hours. She'd spend a minute (of 5) finding the right page, didn't understand that we'd moved on to the next module, would hold on to information from the previous failed bombs, and would constantly give me the wrong info for Simon Says. If the bomb had Simon Says, we were done for. She says she had fun right after we stopped, but then later said she hated the game.

So then I decided to try it with my sister, who's primarily a mobile gamer.

Bam, bam, bam, going through bombs like it ain't no thang, a few missteps (some on my part, some on hers,) but we made it to section 5 in short order. I was still having fun with the first player, in a sense, but just goes to show how the right player can make for a profoundly different experience.

zkylon

zkylewd
So I got Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes because a non-gamer friend of mine wanted to try playing games with me. I figured, they wouldn't have to buy anything, just go to the free manual, right?

I think we got through the first three bombs in a couple of hours. She'd spend a minute (of 5) finding the right page, didn't understand that we'd moved on to the next module, would hold on to information from the previous failed bombs, and would constantly give me the wrong info for Simon Says. If the bomb had Simon Says, we were done for. She says she had fun right after we stopped, but then later said she hated the game.

So then I decided to try it with my sister, who's primarily a mobile gamer.

Bam, bam, bam, going through bombs like it ain't no thang, a few missteps (some on my part, some on hers,) but we made it to section 5 in short order. I was still having fun with the first player, in a sense, but just goes to show how the right player can make for a profoundly different experience.
yeah, i've had similar experiences, drunk people can have wildly different skill levels at that game

but yeah it's great

There are bugs but no more than the average Obsidian game who always gets a pass. Most people are pissed about three things:
1. That there was a console version at all
2. Dropped stretch goals
3. Massive amounts of content in the beta cut at the final release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom