• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenrius

So I finished Her Story. It's a nice game and I can recommend it to anyone who likes the concept.

The actual story was decent, although I didn't like a few things (heavy spoilers below):

1. The general premise was all but implausible. A girl sneaking inside the house and living in the attic for years? It's just really really hard to believe when you consider the logistics of the whole process (food, toilet, shower, bedsheets etc). They had to fuck up at some point. Not to mention that an identical girl living across the road hardly couldn't have been noticed by the parents. All of that left a sort of "Scooby-Doo villain" sort of aftertaste, the conclusion was not as satisfying as it could be. A murder mystery is only as good as the logic piecing it all together, so you can have a big "a-ha" moment when all the pieces finally fit together, but here it was a bit spoiled by the implausibility of the whole affair. I would even appreciate it more if there was a supernatural element of some kind, it would make it more logical and thus more coherent.

2. Lack of explanation for several important story points. I mean, I appreciate in media res and all that (and I actually for some reason suspected that we're playing as Sarah from the very first mention of her as a baby), but it would still be nicer to know, for example, why did they interview Hannah the first few times around and where she went after that (Eve says "she's gone", but where?) and also how did they get hold of Eve and what ultimately happened to her (I'm guessing she went to jail?). It's also not clear why Eve is impersonating Hannah at first.

Just to be clear, I understand that it was probably meant this way and what they were going for, but I don't agree with that. I think that explaining those few things, maybe replacing some of the excessive filler bits with clips doing just that, would greatly benefit the story.

So I finished Her Story. It's a nice game and I can recommend it to anyone who likes the concept.

The actual story was decent, although I didn't like a few things (heavy spoilers below):

1. The general premise was all but implausible. A girl sneaking inside the house and living in the attic for years? It's just really really hard to believe when you consider the logistics of the whole process (food, toilet, shower, bedsheets etc). They had to fuck up at some point. Not to mention that an identical girl living across the road hardly couldn't have been noticed by the parents. All of that left a sort of "Scooby-Doo villain" sort of aftertaste, the conclusion was not as satisfying as it could be. A murder mystery is only as good as the logic piecing it all together, so you can have a big "a-ha" moment when all the pieces finally fit together, but here it was a bit spoiled by the implausibility of the whole affair. I would even appreciate it more if there was a supernatural element of some kind, it would make it more logical and thus more coherent.

2. Lack of explanation for several important story points. I mean, I appreciate in media res and all that (and I actually for some reason suspected that we're playing as Sarah from the very first mention of her as a baby), but it would still be nicer to know, for example, why did they interview Hannah the first few times around and where she went after that (Eve says "she's gone", but where?) and also how did they get hold of Eve and what ultimately happened to her (I'm guessing she went to jail?). It's also not clear why Eve is impersonating Hannah at first.

Just to be clear, I understand that it was probably meant this way and what they were going for, but I don't agree with that. I think that explaining those few things, maybe replacing some of the excessive filler bits with clips doing just that, would greatly benefit the story.

The more likely scenario is that she has a split personality. The game hints at this with things such as the morse code messages, the lack of evidence that there really was a second person, and so on. the only thing that could point to it being two separate persons was the tattoo (which only shows up once and the arm is covered in every video after that one) and the fast healing of the bruising.

But yeah, to me the most logical conclusion is that it was a split personality.

Knurek

Vega for SFV

Reveal trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRcsp0h-sB0

11781757_10153607973667147_8456616324912546985_n.jpg

Literally out of nowhere.

That's not Vega, that's Balrog.

Uzzy

Capcom pls stop ramming SF2 characters down our throats. Fuck Vega. The Ken and Vega announcements have been anti hype.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

The whole point is how difficult it is to understand what happened. It's a murder mystery sans a simple out, which I found extremely refreshing in the long run. There are two lines of thought regarding what is really going on - one which assumes the two girls existing was true, while the other being a multiple personality syndrome theory. There is evidence to show that there may in fact have been two women the whole time, paying attention to hairstyle, how they take their coffee and a tattoo seen once. But if you pay attention to some of the interview moments, Hannah recalls growing up with TV and books and a lot of the tales spun by her and "Eve" reflect back to the folklore and shows she talks about there.

While this could just be Barlow using allusions to strengthen our understanding of the girls' story, it also allows for the distinct possibility that Hannah was mentally ill and crafted the entire lie out of things she remembered from her youth. It is in the implausibility of the two-sister situation where the idea for this theory comes to fruition for most, which I feel was fully intentional.

As Hannah taunts the police, waving farewell to "Eve", perhaps her birth name, it can be seen as either Hannah standing triumphantly over the cops while her twin sister gets away with murder, or a mentally unstable individual thinking she's pulled the wool over their eyes. Her saying goodbye, then, would be her locking away that personality and letting the Hannah part of herself become the main personality, which she could see as getting away with murder... before they probably locked her away.

Tizoc

Capcom pls stop ramming SF2 characters down our throats. Fuck Vega. The Ken and Vega announcements have been anti hype.

Hey you're the one who thinks they're ramming it down your throat.
I for one welcome our new sexy narcissist sadist~

Dr Dogg

Street Fighter III Third Strike secretly had the best Street Fighter roster just sadly quite a few don't know it. Half the peeps who pine after II characters were just little sperms and eggs when it was first released, christ I was only 10 when it was first out in arcades and I'm ancient now.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Noir Syndrome -- MB-9194FF4EF3BEBA60 - Taken by PunishedSnake
TownCraft -- MB-6E72A305C547FCF6 - Taken by LordCommanderNooooo
Metrocide -- MB-D8389E4E4C0F8560 - Taken by KenOD

Anteater

so for borderlands 2

if i have bl2 goty edition and i'm playing as the dlc character, can i use her if i play coop with my friend who doesn't have the dlc?

Parsnip

so for borderlands 2

if i have bl2 goty edition and i'm playing as the dlc character, can i use her if i play coop with my friend who doesn't have the dlc?

Probably. I think they patched in the content to everybody. I mean that would make sense.

AHA-Lambda

I remember having a hard time when I first played it because I specced Reina the wrong way, she couldn't do much damage against a boss so I restarted and built her differently and it was a breeze, it was still a challenging game but nothing as bad as my first playthrough.

Yeah, I'm only seeing now that I seem to ahve fucked myself over by speccing the wrong way. I've basically now had to respec my character by edit the save, cos fuck doing the whole thing again.

However, even still this game must torment me! I'm at the very end now and some of these jumps are seemingly impossible without the double jump skill which has never been needed until now! I think my game may now be unwinnable!

FUCK THIS POS! >_<

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

xxPVMYM.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-1E031F35F7DF29EF - Taken by TheLight

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
MGS V: TPP PC releasing same day as consoles.

KONAMI Brings PC Release for METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN in Line with September 1st Console Launch

Konami Digital Entertainment B.V. has announced it will release the PC edition of the eagerly awaited METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN alongside the console iterations on September 1st. Pre-orders are available now via Steam, which will include a copy of its illustrious prologue, METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES, absolutely free.

Originally scheduled to launch on September 15th, KONAMI has responded to calls from PC users and worked toward an earlier release date. The PC edition will now be available for pre-order via Steam &#8211; alongside the PlayStation®4, PlayStation®3, XboxOne&#8482; and Xbox 360 editions. Fans who pre-order their PC copies of METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN via Steam will also receive a copy of METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES. All Steam customers will receive a collector&#8217;s video which reveals behind the scenes footage and a unique documentary, in addition to DLC in the form of a &#8216;Venom Snake&#8217; emblem and Mother Base Staff.

&#8220;We initially did not think it would be possible to get such an epic game out onto PC in time for launch alongside its console counterparts, but all involved have worked diligently to meet the demands of our PC consumers,&#8221; commented Tomotada Tashiro, President of Konami Digital Entertainment B.V. &#8220;Now PC users will be able to explore the vibrant and beautifully-realised locations and set-pieces that elevate METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN beyond all other action titles. We feel confident that Steam users will be satisfied with the contents we will provide for the Steam version."

Anteater

Yeah, I'm only seeing now that I seem to ahve fucked myself over by speccing the wrong way. I've basically now had to respec my character by edit the save, cos fuck doing the whole thing again.

However, even still this game must torment me! I'm at the very end now and some of these jumps are seemingly impossible without the double jump skill which has never been needed until now! I think my game may now be unwinnable!

FUCK THIS POS! >_<

haha at least you can do that, I didn't think of that and restarted because I was early in the game.

the game is kind of ninja gaiden tier when it comes to annoying the player though, those stupid grabs that you need to waggle your stick to get out of were annoying as hell :p

I must say the game is fun and memorable, they've patched a lot of stuff in so I'm not sure what it's like now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom