• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backlogger

Looking at it, might get it....

I'm stuck with NMS. The more I've looked into it, the more I'm sure it would be put aside fairly quickly since it doesn't seem to offer any meaningful progression to justify the very strong grind from what I've seen thus far. I figured I would just mess with the 2hrs prior to the refund policy kick, but 2hrs probably isn't enough to really understand if the game will sit well with me. Seems the smart money might be to just give up and spend on other things, like RimWorld

I think I'm going to grab it after I see some PC performance discussions. All the streams I've watched I think I'll like it but it seems like a game that I would take frequent breaks from. That being said if that's true maybe I shouldn't spend $60 on it but we'll see. My guess is I'll cave and buy it this weekend

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
thats a nice discount on Ray Gigant, Neptunia style launch discount

actually tempting, how is the actual game?

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, and then there's Torment in Q1 next year as well ._.

Backlog gonna get rough

Dayum son. I fogot Torment was gonna hit Q1. That game feels like its farther off than these, but maybe that's just because we know so little about Tyranny.

Another good year for fans of the CRPG genre.

Jawmuncher

Ray Gigant , used to be PS Vita game.

It came out today. Why is there no reviews. Did no one buy it?
Also why they added that yellow border is beyond me, it's beyond ugly.
Also it has The Gamer, the strongest member of any RPG team.

ss_4ed1e79b0913f582c49c3b77d0363c5c0656003d.600x338.jpg

Nzyme32

I think I'm going to grab it after I see some PC performance discussions. All the streams I've watched I think I'll like it but it seems like a game that I would take frequent breaks from. That being said if that's true maybe I shouldn't spend $60 on it but we'll see. My guess is I'll cave and buy it this weekend

Well I've just finished a decent sized session with the PS4 version, which I was basically playing on off in a coop style with a friend and her PS4 version. The survival stuff is just too obnoxious and time consuming. The actual "moments" that I think have defined all the exploration based games I adore, that provide some marvel, insight, excitement of discovery / knowledge, "progression" etc etc, are simply not there in NMS. There is nothing I feel I take away / gain from the experience, and the variety within the game seems minimal even after several hours now. It's repetitive and too grindy. The only real fun was just banter between friends rather than the game

Decided to cancel my pre-order. Maybe get it in a sale, but I don't see I reason to bother with it unless the experience the game gives changes significantly

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Well I've just finished a decent sized session with the PS4 version, which I was basically playing on off in a coop style with a friend and her PS4 version. The survival stuff is just too obnoxious and time consuming. The actual "moments" that I think have defined all the exploration based games I adore, that provide some marvel, insight, excitement of discovery / knowledge, "progression" etc etc, are simply not there in NMS. There is nothing I feel I take away / gain from the experience, and the variety within the game seems minimal even after several hours now. It's repetitive and too grindy. The only real fun was just banter between friends rather than the game

Decided to cancel my pre-order. Maybe get it in a sale, but I don't see I reason to bother with it unless the experience the game gives changes significantly
Yep, definitely a "wait for a sale" game

Started to play some Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines for the first time ever (with the basic flavor of the unofficial patch) and boy does it feel rough or what. Turning off the bopping and adjusting the FOV helped somewhat, but something really feels off still.

I was wondering about something today, I can't seem to find an answer. If I buy a game (No Man's Sky) and I family share it with my brother, would I still be able to get a refund, if I happen to not like it, if he plays more than 2 hours?

Nzyme32

Steam Client Beta Update - Aug 10
10 AUGUST - JONP

We have released a new beta update, with the following changes:

General
  • Added button to clear local cache under download settings. This may fix downloads by removing stale or corrupt cached data.
  • Game properties indicate if title is excluded from Family-Sharing
  • Fixed black screen during store checkout or when visiting certain websites
  • Worked around a problem where a recent Windows 10 update could cause Xbox One controllers to send duplicate input
  • Fixed playing free games conflicting with Family-Sharing in some cases

Yep, definitely a "wait for a sale" game

Yeah. It's such as shame though. In theory, this should be a game I adore, yet it simply doesn't get close in large part due to the procedural nature of the game not creating enough variety. On top of that, lore is something that has been key in other exploration type games I loved, some kind of emotive hook, something that generates both excitement in discovery but also gives something back on a personal level about the experience from what I do and play. NMS is devoid of all that, and the pure grind of it all is just sad.

I don't think I can really explain it much better. Just a real shame. Seems like they could develop it into something more engaging and enjoyable if they wanted.

Annubis

Being sick right now, if NMS released today, I would have bought the shit out of it because it sounds like a great 'sick' game.

Playing Pokemon Uranium instead.

Messiah

So... I bought RimWorld and then stayed up almost all night playing RimWorld, watching my colonies die one at a time and loving it.

It's pretty good, you guys.

Spent the last two days playing it. It is really great. First game to get anywhere near to scratching that Dwarf Fortress itch for me.

SSPssp

Why did I buy this during summer sale? Whyyyyyyy!?

ModBot said:
Instructions for SSPssp:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Raiden IV -- MB-EF4DA78D451ACF76 - Taken by Vazra. 6 entrants total.

t1470867408z1.png

Adnor

Banned
Oh, didn't expect to see Quantum Break on PC, I thought that MS plan was to bring their AAA games only to the Windows Store and after a few failures bring their next games, but not old, to Steam or abandon the platform again.

Ozium's next avatar

FjAgWH2.png

tumblr_static_hw02ca7ync0gogock8swo8ow.gif

Looking at it, might get it....

I'm stuck with NMS. The more I've looked into it, the more I'm sure it would be put aside fairly quickly since it doesn't seem to offer any meaningful progression to justify the very strong grind from what I've seen thus far. I figured I would just mess with the 2hrs prior to the refund policy kick, but 2hrs probably isn't enough to really understand if the game will sit well with me. Seems the smart money might be to just give up and spend on other things, like RimWorld
I partly got RimWorld to protect myself from NMS hype and partly to tear me away from a terrible mobile game I've been falling into. It has worked.

But yeah, RimWorld has a lot going for it. So far everything I've done has been a disaster, learning things along the way that will help me survive--very Dwarf Fortress-y, in terms of how much you can learn from a failed run. The social element is really cool, so too is the desire to build the perfect colony.

I'm loving it.
Spent the last two days playing it. It is really great. First game to get anywhere near to scratching that Dwarf Fortress itch for me.

You understand!

Losing is fun.

Yep :(

Getting a similar feeling with:
Styx 2
Divinity Original Sin 2
Tyranny
Cuphead

So basically most of the games I was looking forward to this fall >_>
DOS2 does seem like a long shot. In this week's update they were just going over char creation and mentioning how stats and stuff possibly aren't final yet, with a playable gameplay debut at Gamescom (I think). Still seems far from final to me.

What they have looks so good though, and the additions over DOS1 sound sublime, so I'll accept any delay to let it reach its full potential.

If any game can stand up to Persona 5 in 2017, it will be Divinity: Original Sin 2.

After playing through Suits: A Business RPG the other day, I noticed I had a similar business-themed RPGMaker game in my backlog. So, why not? After beating the main game, but not doing much of the post-game stuff yet, here are my impressions for Cubicle Quest.

The story: You play Bob (changeable by user,) a 25-year-old man with a low-paying job, expenses, and about $40,000 in credit card and student loan debt. He goes home, presumably zones out in front of the television, and wakes up in a fantasy realm where the "Kingdom of Bob" is being "invaded" by Credit Card Legions and the Student Debt Army. His "quest" is to get his kingdom back in order by undergoing such ordeals as the Dungeon of Promotion; taming the Expense Monsters; slaying other beasts such as boredom, complacency and inexperience; finding a roommate party member; and maybe even finding friendship, love and marriage along the way.

It's actually told pretty cutely, even if it swaps back and forth between metaphor and real life a lot, and breaks the fourth wall all over the place. It balances humour and the grim spectre of reality well.

The gameplay: You start off alone and build up a party. You can control four at a time, but keep others in reserve who get less experience per battle. Each character has various skills, most of them unique and themed around their job and personality (the librarian can damage humans with "Quiet!" and the engineer can "withdraw from life" for a defense boost and regen, for example,) and some can be shared by several characters (such as the "persistence" attack against personal enemies.) There are several classes of monster, and several types of attack, and sometimes it's hard to figure out what's what. Is hedonism an aggression, a delusion, a stress? Good thing you can save anywhere outside of battle in case you equipped the wrong armour.

Apparently, when I beat the game I did it faster than even the developer did, and got huge stat-boosting accessories for my efforts. The tutorial library said there was no need to grind, but I guess either I managed to do so, or I found some strategies that allowed me to seriously punch above my weight. (I think it was the latter because in the end even trash mobs were hitting HARD.) There is a post-game where you can clean up other optional bosses and such. I might just go a little further to see if I want to. The game has no achievements, just cards, but hey.

The graphics: I'm pretty sure it's the default RPGMaker stuff through and through. He just renamed everything. So yeah.

The length: Took me a little more than 10 hours to beat the main game, but as I said, apparently I was going through it too fast. It would be even longer for some, apparently, and of course I have no idea how long the post-game content takes. The store page says 20-25 hours... Still, for an RPGMaker game it's not a bad length.

The verdict: Pleasantly surprising. Poignant, but not TOO poignant. Decent gameplay. If you can look past the fact they didn't add any extra art content, it might just be worth a go.

dimmer

yes I just launched it and it's running

also played a level as modern sonic w/ no issue

When i try to launch it a window pops with the message "the detected configutation does not match your current hardware. Please rerun the configuration tool". WTF MS??

Annubis

Any good?

You should play Pokemon Insurgence

Last Pokemon I played was Black and I'd say it's only a sliver worst.
I can see them patching in some of the newer functions eventually.

EDIT: Still unsure about using any nuclear type pokemons though =/ You 2x everything but everything 2x you.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Has there been any word on what the dlc may be for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided?

Undecided between regular edition and Digital Deluxe Edition

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Ive been meaning to write a bit on The Count Lucanor
header.jpg

The game starts pretty much with the kid complaining about the poverty in their family and how he is leaving to find treasures and it starts pretty bright but it changes pretty quickly. The game has a spooky atmosphere and tension despite the simple aesthetic it has. There are characters that manage to be memorable and seeing how they move around the place gives you a sense of progression even when you are just looking around the same area solving puzzles and unlocking more areas. The game gives you some old school puzzle solving and traps to evade and it simply works pretty well for the game. The chases by monsters can feel pretty intense at times and more if there are traps on the room and you are relying on the candle light you are holding or the ones you left around the room. Talking about the candles its pretty good usage of the mechanic and how easy or hard you can make the game with the management of your candles which is a nice touch.

The game controls mostly well except on a few exceptions where it might oddly need a second time pressing the direction to move to confirm which was quite odd to happen. The music is perfectly fitting with the atmosphere and aesthetic of the game, the environments are really nice and exploring the place is actually fun. I haven't really had any complains on it and I hope to feed the Donkeycorn more apples to get gold. Gotta keep playing and see what happens :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom