• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
I'm aware of the procedural generation thingy, though I don't really understand how it works.

But how does the game store the textures? So we're constantly downloading the game's asset as we play?

The textures are procedural too...

Think about it as math formulas that generate everything on the fly after set rules but with lots of variables

Also check out Space Engine

http://en.spaceengine.org/

It's the entire universe packed in to one GB... and it's also awesome btw :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rswRCT3097g

Elite Dangerous also has billions of Stars and Planets and is not that big overall data wise

Come on mate 428 got a good voting %
That shows there is a big interest for it too
Worst case scenario we get 428 later in 2017 and kenka bancho otome in coming months
Tho far kb otome goes this trailer isnt selling me much on the game....
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=76D-OXKjxXk

Exactly. Unless Spike Chunsoft are being silly, then they are probably using this to gauge interest in all of the titles in the pool, and not just as a means to select which game, specifically, to go forward with.

Corpekata

Banned
At the end of the day KBO is still a dating sim about high schoolers, which is pretty grody. I guess it's better than middle schoolers like some otaku bait goes for, but I find it very hard to do anything but roll my eyes at anyone that gets passionate about high school waifus / husbandos.

That's also ignoring that it's a spinoff to a series that has never been on Steam either.

Come on mate 428 got a good voting %
That shows there is a big interest for it too
Worst case scenario we get 428 later in 2017 and kenka bancho otome in coming months
Tho far kb otome goes this trailer isnt selling me much on the game....
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=76D-OXKjxXk

That is in a ideal world. It's pretty clear this poll is to convince producers. Basically, we're getting the crappy otome game, it's gonna bomb because half of the people voting just wanted it on Vita (which may not happen) or just because they rallied on Twitter. 428 ain't happening, I set my mind for this. Even for 2017, that's bit too far.

Yes, I know, I'm mad, just gimme a couple of minutes :")

At the end of the day KBO is still a dating sim about high schoolers, which is pretty grody. I guess it's better than middle schoolers like some otaku bait goes for, but I find it very hard to do anything but roll my eyes at anyone that gets passionate about high school waifus / husbandos.

No matter how people want to twist it "You get to fight them !" It's still a dating sim, just with a different twist. Once again, waifus/husbando crap won over :")

Ascheroth

That is in a ideal world. It's pretty clear this poll is to convince producers. Basically, we're getting the crappy otome game, it's gonna bomb because half of the people voting just wanted it on Vita (which may not happen) or just because they rallied on Twitter. 428 ain't happening, I set my mind for this. Even for 2017, that's bit too far.

Yes, I know, I'm mad, just gimme a couple of minutes :")

Oh come on, there is a 2% difference.

Played several hours of Battlefield 4's campaign. It's better than BF3 in that regard but not by much. Visuals are the one thing it has going for itself, writing, characters, story, cutscenes, all a mess still. I don't want to believe the same people responsible for BFSC2's campaign did BF3 & BF4 ones. USA the goodie two shoes is also done way too hamfisted and is done one-dimensionally and feels naive at best.
Technically it flanders at the basics. No FOV slider for campaign exclusively, why. Way, waaaay overdone dirt lense effect and bloom to the point of it being a serious detriment to the experience. Have to use Flawless Widescreen to fix basic stuff. Dice's priorities in this regard are a bit messed up.
V7YlLO5.png

Well, there it is.
That's just dumb. Way to throw away the longevity of your hard work down the drain.

Knurek

I'd agree with you, but I've been going through Katawa Shoujo, and it's a great game.

Jawmuncher

Played several hours of Battlefield 4's campaign. It's better than BF3 in that regard but not by much. Visuals are the one thing it has going for itself, writing, characters, story, cutscenes, all a mess still. I don't want to believe the same people responsible for BFSC2's campaign did BF3 & BF4 ones. USA the goodie two shoes is also done way too hamfisted and is done one-dimensionally and feels naive at best.
Technically it flanders at the basics. No FOV slider for campaign exclusively, why. Way, waaaay overdone dirt lense effect and bloom to the point of it being a serious detriment to the experience. Have to use Flawless Widescreen to fix basic stuff. Dice's priorities in this regard are a bit messed up.

That's just dumb. Way to throw away the longevity of your hard work down the drain.

None of the BF campaigns have been good. Though I will give you that you could at least kinda enjoy Bad Company. 3 and 4 had me questioning a lot of things.

None of the BF campaigns have been good. Though I will give you that you could at least kinda enjoy Bad Company. 3 and 4 had me questioning a lot of things.
I'm almost certain there was a change in personnel between BC2 and BF3, just by seeing the games.
Really can empathize people saying MP focused games - like BF - should get rid of campaigns altogether when looking at BF3/4. Shame is, with the major backing they have, a worthwhile campaign could be done. It could be done :(

Wok

We have reached to a point in one of the NMS thread that someone asked JaseC whether he owned the game, the answer being obviously yes.

DpNunIr.png

BdQWHpo.png

After considering the time I spend reading about NMS, I might just as well try to spend some time actually playing the game tomorrow. I get hyped so easily.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
We have reached to a point in one of the NMS thread that someone asked JaseC whether he owned the game, the answer being obviously yes.

He never did respond to me when I asked why it mattered, and I'm certain he saw the post as he quoted the one directly below it. I was explaining to him that the lack of an MP element is a legitimate gripe for some people and he seemingly attempted to play the "If you haven't bought it, then you can't judge it" card. Perhaps he realised that the question didn't fit the discussion we were having.

He never did respond to me when I asked why it mattered. I was explaining to him that the lack of an MP element is a legitimate gripe for some people and he seemingly attempted to play the "If you haven't bought it, then you can't judge it" card. Perhaps he realised that the question didn't fit the discussion we were having.

I love the smug Sir-shu.

It makes your response to him look more bad ass.

I feel that the NMS threads are like a survival game of their own.

• There are several threads of them, all belonging to one game, but still their own entities.
  • The thread titles give an indication as to what dangers might lurk in them, but you can't be reall sure as to what you will find. Preparation will only help you to a certain point.
  • You jump in, see some nice things, enage with the population.
  • But among the valuable discussions and valid feedback to the game, at some point, the dangers will overwhelm. Be it hatred, toxicity. spoilers, fights about what can be misunderstandings, smugness or something similiar.
  • And you will just have to test yourself just how long you can stay in, before you feel the need or urge to head back to the surface.

Tizoc

Watching TotalBiscuit's newest video and it has Little King Story.
So he's fine with playing ABZU with a controller, but he doesn't play LKS with one?

fantomena

Playing Blood and Wine now. Holy fuck Toussaint is beautiful. Had to download a completed save. Already played through the main story twice and Hearth of Stone oncve, so I didn't bother do most of it once more.

Nabs

So he's fine with playing ABZU with a controller, but he doesn't play LKS with one?

Sounds like TB to me. I don't know why anyone would choose to play LKS with a keyboard, but then again he thought the original game used the pointer for some reason.

Deitus

I'm almost certain there was a change in personnel between BC2 and BF3, just by seeing the games.
Really can empathize people saying MP focused games - like BF - should get rid of campaigns altogether when looking at BF3/4. Shame is, with the major backing they have, a worthwhile campaign could be done. It could be done :(

I don't know that change in personnel is the main factor in the difference in quality between the Bad Company campaigns and the BF 3 and 4 campaigns. Bad Company was mostly allowed to be it's own thing, as it wasn't really positioned directly against any other games. But for BF 3 and 4 EA was pushing them hard as direct competition to Call of Duty. EA execs were constantly talking about their goal to beat COD in sales, and the marketing campaign was very much targeted at the COD audience. I have no doubt that EA essentially mandated that DICE imitate COD campaigns (and it shows), but that's not really an area that DICE excels, so it was just a bad imitation.

I agree that the games would have been better off as multiplayer only, but the sad reality is BF3 at least would never have gotten the budget it had if EA wasn't trying to take on COD.

Corpekata

Banned

They're not really that comparable though. Not like they control the same or are going for similar gameplay. That's like saying he's fine with Abzu but not Call of Duty. Both might be designed for normal controllers, but there's an obvious alternative for LKS that might have improved upon the experience.

Monooboe

Ok so I´ve been avoiding everything NMS, but there isn´t multiplayer? Didn´t they just write that two people found each other?O_O

Corpekata

Banned
Wow, that is then some mastercraft pr-wording.

I´m sure there was an official tweet going around the other day about two people already finding each other. Hmh.

That tweet is why people are annoyed. He recognized that two people "found" each other as in, were on the same planet at the same time, but didn't address the elephant in the room that they couldn't actually see each other.

Deitus

Wow, that is then some mastercraft pr-wording.

I´m sure there was an official tweet going around the other day about two people already finding each other. Hmh.

There was, but again I don't think they ment they could actually see each other, so much as they were able to get to the same place at the same time, which is pretty impressive in a galaxy so large. But it was written in a vague enough way that everyone assumed they ment they saw each other.

rtcn63

I had an AMD before my e8400 I think, back when their CPU's were being recommended because they had better price v performance (among the low-end, at least) over Intel.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
The funniest reason I saw people giving for why the two couldn't see each other has to be -

"They might've been in the same place, but were they in the same time?"

Like NMS has space and time programmed into the game like that. They'll have just been on different servers
KuGsj.gif

Lomax

I'm aware of the procedural generation thingy, though I don't really understand how it works.

But how does the game store the textures? So we're constantly downloading the game's asset as we play?

The dirty secret of game sizes is most of it is pre-rendered cut scenes and audio files.

rtcn63

The funniest reason I saw people giving for why the two couldn't see each other has to be -

"They might've been in the same place, but were they in the same time?"

Like NMS has space and time programmed into the game like that. They'll have just been on different servers
KuGsj.gif

S1E06.jpg

tumblr_lhanofekBF1qfdb5lo1_400.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom