• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

Looking at the Mankind Divided specs it seem slike deciding to go for 32 GB RAM and not 16 which was the original plan is already paying off, haha.

Nzyme32

Looking at the Mankind Divided specs it seem slike deciding to go for 32 GB RAM and not 16 which was the original plan is already paying off, haha.

Why is it "paying off"? You still have 16GB in excess, you won't get much of any kind of performance gain from it. There have been 16GB RAM games before at recommended spec, but it isn't a minimum requirement yet. This reminds me of the mid and later stage of PS3 / 360 generation, and PC specs going up to support different features and effects, yet older hardware still worked well without that.

Knurek

That's a decision that will likely never pay off from any measurable metric from a gaming perspective.

Unless Microsoft kills win32 completely, and you will have to install an UWP VM just to play your games.
And even in that case, 24 GB should be well enough. :p

I just ordered 8gb more RAM for the time being until I upgrade to DDR4 partly because of Deus Ex MD and because I'm tired of seeing that dumb Low Memory message on Just Cause 3. Does having 4x4gb of RAM make much of difference compared to 2x8gb RAM?

derExperte

That's a decision that will likely never pay off from any measurable metric from a gaming perspective.

I have no idea why he posted the same comment two times for different games without any indication that more than 16GB will do anything for them (unlikely, 8 just aren't enough anymore so we've moved to the next big step) but never is a long time, I bought 16GB years ago for an excellent price and they've started being very useful this year.

Im simply suprised. Before I upgraded I had 12 GB, never thought I needed more than 12, but with Mankind Divided, I was wrong.

12GB will most likely be enough, those official recommendations traditionally always go up 2x. So if a game needs 9GB to run perfectly they'll still recommend 16.

I just ordered 8gb more RAM for the time being until I upgrade to DDR4 partly because of Deus Ex MD and because I'm tired of seeing that dumb Low Memory message on Just Cause 3. Does having 4x4gb of RAM make much of difference compared to 2x8gb RAM?

Usually the less modules, the better a) for stability (not really a problem unless overclocking hard) and b) having room for future upgrade. Get at least 2x for most mainstream chipsets so dual-channel works, some like the X99 support quad-channel, there you want 4x.

fantomena

Why is it "paying off"? You still have 16GB in excess, you won't get much of any kind of performance gain from it. There have been 16GB RAM games before at recommended spec, but it isn't a minimum requirement yet. This reminds me of the mid and later stage of PS3 / 360 generation, and PC specs going up to support different features and effects, yet older hardware still worked well without that.

Sure, but better to be safe than sorry.

While I have no idea why he posted the same comment two times for different games without any indication that more than 16GB will do anything (unlikely that they even use the full 16, it's just the next big step) but never is a long time, I bought my 16GB years ago an excellent price and they've started being very useful this year.

Im simply suprised. Before I upgraded I had 12 GB, never thought I needed more than 12, but with Mankind Divided, I was wrong.

I was recommended in the PC build thread and someone on SteamGAF to get 4x4 8 GB because the mobo handled it better or something.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
What is with these silly fucking times? 6PM, really?

Not getting it, but wtf

thats the time that all releases that dont get a midnight release come out, its also the time when sales and new deals come out. I know its all the rage to rag on NMS but at least do it properly

Jawmuncher

thats the time that all releases that dont get a midnight release come out, its also the time when sales and new deals come out. I know its all the rage to rag on NMS but at least do it properly

If NMS was so good it would release earlier. Sean lied to all of us.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

How am I at all ragging on NMS? I'd have mentioned the time regardless of the game

I even said "times", as it's common for games to release at weird times, especially in the UK, but whatever

Tried to buy No Man's Sky for $60 and my
fucking
bank decided that was 'suspicious activity' and locked my card.

Even banks know you aren't supposed to pay this much for games

yuraya

So y'all heard that rumor that PS Now may be coming to PC right?

If true then Sony needs to email Gaben and partner up with Valve.

Somehow integrate the games into the Steam client because I'm not in the mood to be dealing with yet another gaming client. My taskbar gonna be full soon damn it.

Heads-up, not sure if it's been posted yet, but the Quantum Break Collector's Edition is on Amazon for $32 (after Prime 20% Discount).

Comes with a Steam key as far as I can tell.

Doomedfool

Guess those recommended Deus Ex specs will finally get me to upgrade to 16 gb of ram. Been thinking about it for a while now, but now I feel like I have an excuse.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
fucking

Your money is there, just Hello Games can't see it.

news_kof_xiv_team_another_world_trailer-18205.jpg

KOF XIV: Team Another World Trailer
news_the_witcher_3_gets_goty_edition-18203.jpg

The Witcher 3 gets GOTY Edition (Trailer)
news_the_city_districts_in_mafia_iii-18202.jpg

The City Districts in Mafia III (Trailer)

Ludens

Banned
fucking

Your bank tried to save you from disappointment. I predict NMS will be one of those game people will play for a week and than never touch it again.

In my never-ending backlog quest, I gave Cook Serve Delicious another try. The first time I stopped after a few days cause it was too stressful, but this time I said "Okay, you're getting your first star and that's that."

So I got my first star. And it's still very stressful. The regular game is tough enough, then they add bets to make things even more stressful, and you wouldn't normally take them but you really need that extra 300 bucks.

My never-ending quest to clean my backlog stopped with Suikoden 2, it's like a week I'm on it (thinking it was short like S1, so around 10 hours), I'm not even 2/5 of the game.
It's much better than S1 in every aspect, but why the game doesn't let me use teleport right now, forcing me to walk around or take a boat...if you want to take all 108 stars (yeah, I'm trying again like I did in S1 before a fight killed one of my character screwing me up), it takes time and even more considering the backtracking you need to face.

In my never-ending backlog quest, I gave Cook Serve Delicious another try. The first time I stopped after a few days cause it was too stressful, but this time I said "Okay, you're getting your first star and that's that."

So I got my first star. And it's still very stressful. The regular game is tough enough, then they add bets to make things even more stressful, and you wouldn't normally take them but you really need that extra 300 bucks.

My never-ending quest to clean my backlog stopped with Suikoden 2, it's like a week I'm on it (thinking it was short like S1, so around 10 hours), I'm not even 2/5 of the game.
It's much better than S1 in every aspect, but why the game doesn't let me use teleport right now, forcing me to walk around or take a boat...if you want to take all 108 stars (yeah, I'm trying again like I did in S1 before a fight killed one of my character screwing me up), it takes time and even more considering the backtracking you need to face.

Never played Suikoden 2 but I heard it's really good. I've played 5, which is apparently considered the second-best in the series. Not sure why other developers haven't tried recruit-'em-ups. Are the games too ambitious? People don't like the RPG/Strategy mix? They just plain don't sell? I really don't know.

Ludens

Banned
Never played Suikoden 2 but I heard it's really good. I've played 5, which is apparently considered the second-best in the series. Not sure why other developers haven't tried recruit-'em-ups. Are the games too ambitious? People don't like the RPG/Strategy mix? They just plain don't sell? I really don't know.

Well, the recruiting thing is not so great, that's why. As I wrote for S1, only a bunch of characters are actually fleshed out, while the majority it's like "Ehy, I'll join you", and you won't ever use them (why doing so if you have a solid party already?) or talk with them (because it's pointless, you'll probably get a line of dialogue and nothing else).
I prefer 10 good characters instead of 108 "dummies".

But yeah, S2 is a big improvement compared to S1, pretty much everything is better:
-the writing
-graphics
-soundtrack
-gameplay

Yet there are perfectable things, like a fast way to move around (I know you'll get teleportation later, but meanwhile you need to spend 20 hours by using your foot if you need to backtrack, and this happens a LOT when recruiting all characters), the fact in order to move fast in the world map you NEED to waste a slot by putting Stallion here (dunno if later you'll get a rune or whatever with the same ability) etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom