• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

Yes, there is a thread "What would make No Man's Sky better?" or something

I thought you were joking... but no.

The answer is pretty obvious though: a savegame to start with 20 hours already clocked. This is why the PC version will rock.

KYxqQzf.png

I thought you were joking... but no.

The answer is pretty obvious though: a savegame to start with 20 hours already clocked. This is why the PC version will rock.

KYxqQzf.png

I havent been following most of the hate except for the "boring" but wouldn't it get more boring 20 hours in? Why is the game better after 20 hours? I already bought so I guess I will find out on the weekend.

Teggy

Hi SteamGAF, long time no see. I have been on vacation and otherwise freaking out about the election so I haven't been playing a lot of games. But I am trying to this week.

I recently finished Inside. This is a really good looking game, very nice to just gawk at. It was fun and impressive for what it was, but I don't think it is GOTY caliber.

I'm now trying to finish up Song of the Deep and I think I am pretty close the end. I like supporting Insomniac and I like Metroidvania's, so buying this wasn't a big risk. It has some very clever puzzles and looks great, but having to float around a whole game in a submarine is asking for trouble. I actually think they pull it off pretty well though, and I don't think the controls bring the game down more than anything else. In general it's just kind of an average game with weapons and abilities that just aren't that exciting. It has a charming aesthetic with the main character and narrator, and It's not a bad game by any means, but put it up against an Ori and there's really no contest.

Not sure what I'll play next. I definitely want to knock out some more recent releases. Maybe Ghost 1.0.

Knurek

I havent been following most of the hate except for the "boring" but wouldn't it get more boring 20 hours in? Why is the game better after 20 hours? I already bought so I guess I will find out on the weekend.

Isn't it like the X series, where you farm resources/money for the first 20 hours so that you can buy a better spacecraft so that you can start doing story-line mission?

Wok

By the way, in Dota2, you don't enjoy yourself so much before reaching the 1500-hour mark. You have got occasional bursts of adrenalines for close games, but most of the times, you are just frustrated. The game is still good.

If the same mechanic is applied to NMS, then with a badly equipped ship, you get to visit planets at a slow pace, so you might see 2 amazing planets in 30 hours (cf. Toma's post).

bGysakn.png

CS764Zj.png

Then you get a better ship or whatever upgrades and I imagine you see planets at a faster pace, so you get to see amazing planets more often.

Oh man, Battlefield 4 could have been such a masterpiece with the small addition of bots or at least a CoOp against AI mode. I'd sink dozens of hours with various difficulty and ROE variations. Hundreds even. This current setup is just not fun for me.

Lomax

By the way, in Dota2, you don't enjoy yourself so much before reaching the 1500-hour mark. You have got occasional bursts of adrenalines for close games, but most of the times, you are just frustrated. The game is still good.

That's just not true at all. No one reaches 100 hours, much less 1000 hours, playing a game they aren't enjoying. They may not be good at it up to that point, but they are still deriving enjoyment from it.

Annubis

That's just not true at all. No one reaches 100 hours, much less 1000 hours, playing a game they aren't enjoying. They may not be good at it up to that point, but they are still deriving enjoyment from it.

I don't know...
I play Overwatch every week because of friends...

Well, the recruiting thing is not so great, that's way. As I wrote for S1, only a bunch of characters are actually fleshed out, while the majority it's like "Ehy, I'll join you", and you won't ever use them (why doing so if you have a solid party already?) or talk with them (because it's pointless, you'll probably get a line of dialogue and nothing else).
I prefer 10 good characters instead of 108 "dummies".

One thing I noticed in Suikoden 5 is that a lot of the characters you wouldn't normally use in the RPG happen to have really useful skills in the strategy section. So they did try to balance things out.

When I was younger and had more time I'd sink quite a few hours into games I wasn't any good at and didn't actively enjoy. I was hoping it would be an investment toward a fun hobby.

Wok

You enjoy it for the occasional good games, but most games are just complete crap with teammates doing stupid stuff. You can rub it off by thinking that you are learning a ton of stuff and improving, which might be enjoyable in itself, I admit. I think NMS has similar kinds of enjoyment system going on: you play to occasionally land on some amazing planets, or you play to have a feeling of fulfilment when upgrading your ship and suit.

I don't know about NMS, but with Dota2, the game is so addictive that you keep playing even after spending an hour with toxic teammates throwing at random, so it is not a chore to play the first hundreds of hours.

Anyway, my point is that I think the enjoyment system going on in NMS is similar to the one of Dota2.

Ucchedavāda;213290757 said:
Does SteamGAF know if there are any other games on Steam like The Room and The Room Two? Loved the first The Room game, and will be picking up the second one shortly, but it would be great if there were more.

The Eyes of Ara.

Does SteamGAF know if there are any other games on Steam like The Room and The Room Two? Loved the first The Room game, and will be picking up the second one shortly, but it would be great if there were more.

Games in this genre (puzzle games set entirely in a room, sometimes called "room escape games") are generally made as hobby in flash and disseminated free. There were tons in the mid-to-late 2000s. Not many reach the quality that someone would pay money for them.

Lomax

I don't know...
I play Overwatch every week because of friends...

Presumably spending the activity with your friends creates some enjoyment for you, whether it's from the comradery you share afterwards or from the actual experience during. If your friends quit, you'd probably quit the game. The idea of playing it another 1000 hours so you could become good at it and maybe enjoy it then wouldn't be something you'd even consider.

To the original point, a game that requires massive time investment before it becomes enjoyable isn't going to be played or enjoyed by most people. Now, it might be much more enjoyable after that time investment, but the trope of "it's terrible until you play xx hours" means that game has failed up to that point and (if possible) should be adjusted to fix that. The simplest design solution is just to accelerate that "unfun" development time to be shorter.

But then of course fun is subjective. Some people enjoy grinding and suffering for a long range reward. But a lot of the time people that do enjoy doing that have trouble empathizing with those that don't (and vice versa).

When I was younger and had more time I'd sink quite a few hours into games I wasn't any good at and didn't actively enjoy. I was hoping it would be an investment toward a fun hobby.

Yes, but not 100 hours. I've played plenty of things I wanted to enjoy for even 10-15 hours, but 100 hours requires actual commitment. And to add to that, you did get some "enjoyment" from the idea that you were getting into a potentially new and fun hobby, and for a while that potential was enough to keep you motivated through games you didn't like.

You enjoy it for the occasional good games, but most games are just complete crap with teammates doing stupid stuff. You can rub it off by thinking that you are learning a ton of stuff and improving, which might be enjoyable in itself, I admit. I think NMS has similar kinds of enjoyment system going on: you play to occasionally land on some amazing planets, or you play to have a feeling of fulfilment when upgrading your ship and suit.

That's part of why drip feed reward systems like leveling exist, they give you positive feedback and reward even when you have to do things that aren't directly enjoyable. They also make long term time investments seem more tolerable. In retrospect you might look back and say "wow, that wasn't fun at all" but while you're doing it, you are motivated and get enough positive reinforcement to continue.

That's what I think happens more with games that are "terrible" for their first xx hours. You don't actually realize they are terrible because you're being rewarded and pushed forward and feel development. When you look back at it once you're at the "fun" part, you realize how relatively "unfun" it was, but it's already passed by then and it doesn't matter. But the problem is people come to sites like GAF and read about these games and they play a few hours and everyone is telling them about how fun it "will be" and that makes them focus more on the "unfun" that it currently is. But that still isn't justification for poor game design.

Knurek

Zero Time Dillema.
(999 and Virtue's Last Reward soon as well).

Games in this genre (puzzle games set entirely in a room, sometimes called "room escape games") are generally made as hobby in flash and disseminated free. There were tons in the mid-to-late 2000s. Not many reach the quality that someone would pay money for them.

Thanks, that's quite helpful! I did not know there was actually a genre for these games, much less the name.

Zero Time Dillema.
(999 and Virtue's Last Reward soon as well).
Thanks! Added that to my wishlist. The price is not exact in the impulse range, so it'll have to wait till next month, depending on my budget.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Ucchedavāda;213296658 said:
Thanks! Added that to my wishlist. The price is not exact in the impulse range, so it'll have to wait till next month, depending on my budget.

It's part three in a ongoing continuous story so I wouldn't recommend it at this moment and wait for 999 and VLR. (Also 999 is the only great game in this series.)

Wok

Ucchedavāda;213296658 said:
Thanks, that's quite helpful! I did not know there was actually a genre for these games, much less the name.

You should check The Eyes of Ara too.

Nordicus

My Commando mourns his Pyromancer battle brother in Grim Dawn
Playing a few hours accidentally on Normal got him complacent. Didn't give enough of a fuck to look out for molotov cocktail fire and so the mass of DoTs got him once we played on Veteran server again. This was roughly 10 hours in

;_;7

Perhaps Sorcerer and Pyromancer (Jr) will have better luck.

Yes, but not 100 hours. I've played plenty of things I wanted to enjoy for even 10-15 hours, but 100 hours requires actual commitment. And to add to that, you did get some "enjoyment" from the idea that you were getting into a potentially new and fun hobby, and for a while that potential was enough to keep you motivated through games you didn't like.

You're playing semantic games with the word "enjoyment" to cover up how your post was stupid.

100 hours is definitely commitment, but when you're young and your friends are playing it, you'll give it a go. But it's possible to have a commitment to things that you don't enjoy right away. Programming, for example.

Btw. guys, is it possible to download while playing or do I have to alt-tab everytime and press the continue downloading button?

EDit: nvm. found the option.

Hektor

I will never understand people who get so attached to something that they would attack someone for not liking it.

Manbabys that define themselfs primarily through their taste in media/"Nerdculture" and see criticism of the things they like as an attack on they themelfs as a person.

Nzyme32

NOOOOOO!!

It turns out the graphics cards were never at fault at all - it was the Corsair PSU. Trying the 3D Mark and Unigine demos, the PSU is squealing like a bitch. I would have known if it wasn't for these low performance requiring Steam games!

Gonna get the PSU RMA done ASAP, with the hope they are true to their word and can get it all sorted within 6 days or so max.

NOOOOOO!!

It turns out the graphics cards were never at fault at all - it was the Corsair PSU. Trying the 3D Mark and Unigine demos, the PSU is squealing like a bitch. I would have known if it wasn't for these low performance requiring Steam games!

Gonna get the PSU RMA done ASAP, with the hope they are true to their word and can get it all sorted within 6 days or so max.

I'd look into an EVGA G2 PSU...have heard a lot of good things about them and they aren't on the expensive side really

sibarraz

Banned
I tried to play this war of mine, I liked the atmosphere of the game, and the fact that there were few resources, and the moral decisions really were hard to swallow for me specially that part were
I couldn't stole all the food of the elder couple since I felt bad for them

My main gripe and why I dropped the game was the combat, in lots of situations you were forced to fight and the combat system was so bad that I always lost a member. I know that it will be stupid to ask normal civilians to be badass who could kill everyone easily, but at least making the fight being just one click would have been better.

I got the message, war sucks, but I don't feel like playing the game for more than 2 hours

Nzyme32

I'd look into an EVGA G2 PSU...have heard a lot of good things about them and they aren't on the expensive side really

I'm hoping I'm just unlucky. Never had issue with corsair before, but what I chose is a new product. It is their new small form factor PSU at 600W, which I needed for the ITX rig. It is awesome for everything, except (as I have only now worked out) intensive games. Sunless Sea, Pillars of Eternity, Deus Ex OG, no issues (obviously) but I spent too much time with them. GTA V and Doom you can hear light buzzing, more so with the SteamVR test, then it is insane with the 3d Mark and Unigine Valley demos. Sounds like it's going to explode. Then as soon as the intense parts end - silent and happy.

Serves me right for having a loud sound system cover up all the noise, and for playing light games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom