• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpekata

Banned
You're supposed to account for where they are. Some attacks have a small knockback, so adjust accordingly. If they have teleport after hit abilities, just queue something smaller and your cooldown will be up shortly.

The point though is some attacks are tough to use in normal combat, as well as making it far easier to get into position for things like backstabs which do bonus damage.

The art is fine but I dug the unique battle system the most, there's not too many like it (it reminded me of a faster paced Dragon Quarter). You can do some of the crazy combo stuff in normal combat if you're good, but it wouldn't be easy.

oh I missed that humble bundle

bought it

Rust still worth getting into?

The community is about as hostile as they come but there is some fun to be had with randoms and friends, and there's a variety of server types that make it easy to find a group of like minded cavemen.

mp1990

Banned
I don't think I've ever played any of these survival games, think I'm gonna take the plunge and buy the Humble Bundle to see what's the fuss is about. Is the $15 tier worth it?

I don't think I've ever played any of these survival games, think I'm gonna take the plunge and buy the Humble Bundle to see what's the fuss is about. Is the $15 tier worth it?

Don't know, the $14 game, Planetbase, looks a bit meh. Best stuff is in the $1 tier, Tharsis and Kholat.

oipic

In my opinion, no - not justified for Planetbase alone. BTA is the sweet spot with this bundle.

The second tier stuff is the better deal, I haven't really heard anything about Planetbase to make it worth the extra $9.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

BTA tier is where its at

Josh5890

Is there a reason why the original Mafia game isn't on Steam? I can't find my disc so I searched the store and cannot find it. Seems weird since 2 and 3 are on there.

Popstar

I remember someone earlier asking if anyone had played Mandagon.

I played it last night. Nice mellow short free platformer. Good way to relax for 45 minutes but nothing profound. Not sure what the pretentious description is referring to.

started playing ff14 for the first time, played 4 hours so far, playing as a lancer in the goblin server... its alright, i put on a podcast and just chill out and do some quests. when do i get to the cool party quest and boss stuff? (lvl13 btw)

kurahador

started playing ff14 for the first time, played 4 hours so far, playing as a lancer in the goblin server... its alright, i put on a podcast and just chill out and do some quests. when do i get to the cool party quest and boss stuff? (lvl13 btw)

Wayyyy later. Keep focusing on the main story quests.

Killing Floor 2 is shaping up to be great, the close quarters SWAT perk is a lot of fun and lets me get in deep some zed booty so I can pop them with my Vector.

Oh boy, this, Deus Ex, Quantum Break, Pac-Man and Dishonored coming out this year I can't wait!

oipic

Speaking of NMS, has anyone stumbled across confirmation of its likely Family Sharing status? I had read that SteamDB indicates that it might be excluded?

I was looking to use this as a workaround to the assumed single save slot shenanigans.

kurahador

Thats a shame. Im a lancer, where should i be putting my attribute points? Ive been dumping them in str. Also what if i switch jobs to lets say a black mage, what happens with the attribute points that i dumped?

Str is right. Changing class will reset your attribute points.

Also...you gonna need to level up a 2nd class to 15 to access the higher tier class and the game does make a point about this, so no worries.

Ludens

Banned
http://www.thejimquisition.com/no-mans-sky-review/

I’ve seen so many planets, met so many aliens, and mined so much goddamn carbon and not once have I been surprised. Not once has the game thrown me a curveball. Every new location is just a different colored home for the same old routine, and the procedural generation means that things feel far less diverse than they could be – when randomized pools replace handcrafted designs, the lego bricks piecing everything together are far too obvious.

Like Spore before it, No Man’s Sky is a game that promised far more than it could ever deliver, but I can’t even blame my tepid reaction on hype. I did not for a second believe Hello Games’ vaguely described spacefarer could be anywhere near as varied and expansive as promised.

5/10

Well, as predicted there's not so much variety around. Clearly not a 60€ title.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Good. NMS is mediocre and I'm glad Jim isn't afraid to be honest. I always worry about hype affecting scores. As wide as an ocean, as deep as a puddle.

What's the best Y's? I'm in the mood for a great jrpg.

Ludens

Banned
You have to cut them some slack, they're only 12 people etc. No reason to expect a premium experience from a premium priced title etc.

Serious or not? Because honestly, think about the following: without the mediatic bumbum, if the title released out of nowhere on Steam/PC as is now (so forgot the interviews etc) with a pricetag of 60€, how many people would laugh at this passing on? I can't find another survival game priced like NMS, and I honestly don't know the reason the game is priced so much, because it doesn't provide content for 60€ apparently.

There are no cutscenes involving voice acting with paid actors and so on, the game is all the same, so it has not a proper level design, even because all the universe is generated randomly. Is it big? Yeah it is, but just because is generated randomly and as some people wrote, there's not so much variety between planets. Also the universe is not a big location in which you can move with freedom, each galaxy is a skybox and to move to another galaxy you need to do it with a menu (while in some interviews they said you can do it "normally", also seeing stuff in the middle like dead planets etc.).

the fact the team is small is not a justification to me, I simply see the 60€ pricetag a way to grab as money as they can thanks to the hype and D1 buyers (I mean, is not so different from what ALL publishers do, but here it feels like "let's try to score high").

Regarding me personally, I never expected something out of NMS. I saw a couple of videos, I thought the game could be interesting and I passed on, because for me it's the "5€ interesting". I didn't even know this was a survival until the last week (and I don't like survival).

Hektor

Serious or not? Because honestly, think about the following: without the mediatic bumbum, if the title released out of nowhere on Steam/PC as is now (so forgot the interviews etc) with a pricetag of 60€, how many people would laugh at this passing on? I can't find another survival game priced like NMS, and I honestly don't know the reason the game is priced so much, because it doesn't provide content for 60€ apparently.

I was being facetious. I can't judge the quality of the game itself cos I haven't played it yet, but if it costs 60 bucks you either deliver a 60 bucks experience or you get out, wether you're Ubisoft or a one man dev. If you can't, charge less.

Wok

Nobody remembers MirrorMoon in which you got to name the planets that you discovered. No hype, nothing.

MirrorMoon EP is a game about mystery and exploration set in outer space. These space travels begin on a red planet and its unique moon and extend across galaxies. The single player part of MirrorMoon EP blends adventure and exploration with navigation-based puzzle solving.

Coreda

Nobody remembers MirrorMoon in which you got to name the planets that you discovered. No hype, nothing.

I bought a couple Steam items from that game. There's also Planet Explorers which to me always looked more interesting but the reviews are mixed.

games-planetexplorerstay14.jpg
games-planetexplorersd3bn8.jpg

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I was being facetious. I can't judge the quality of the game itself cos I haven't played it yet, but if it costs 60 bucks you either deliver a 60 bucks experience or you get out, wether you're Ubisoft or a one man dev. If you can't, charge less.
Exactly. All the hubbub about it being a small team. Cool. I don't care as a gamer, though. I care about fun. $60 is a joke. Like The Division, the hype won't get to me and I won't buy it for anything close to fill price.

I love you guys.

zkylon

zkylewd
i continue to love va11-hall-a, it might be breaking a bit long for my low tolerance to vns, specially since it's not really about big story events that keep you hooked or anything, but it's such a cool game

i feel like this year's goty list is gonna be a tough one

i do!

JGY85v2.png

Forget naming planets, in RimWorld you can name colonies. I think the winner is pretty clear.

Will add mirrormoon to my wishlist, though. Forgot about that one.

Wok

The description sounds so familiar though. Forget for a moment that it is not NMS.

This is a game about mystery and exploration set in outer space.
These space travels begin on a red planet and its unique moon and extend across galaxies.
The single-player part blends adventure and exploration with navigation-based puzzle solving.
The multiplayer part lets players share Galaxy Maps with other players: the first explorers to land on a planet will be able to name its Star System and that name will be forever bound to the star for any other fellow traveller who encounters it.

Each Galaxy consists of a thousand Systems: it will be possible to fully discover the mysteries of this game only while collaborating with other players.
Through the apparently indecipherable cockpit of an unknown spacecraft, players will be able to locate and travel to mysterious planets. Each planet has artefacts, buildings, and puzzles on its surface, hidden in astonishing low-poly sceneries.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

I've made quite a few references to it! It's still one of my favorites (and introduced me properly to Santa Ragione), and it's one of the only things I think of when I look at anything No Man's Sky. I've made a few recommendations or references to it when talking to people who were anticipating NMS, but, it didn't really catch as much attention as I would have liked.

I loved watching people uncover the hidden constructs and special effects tucked away in different seasons/galaxies. Managed to visit quite a few, but never did get to the
Equus Oils
station...

Vuze

Hm, Steam refuses to remember my password for the second day now. Everytime I boot up the PC I have to manually enter it + SteamGuard code which gets old really fast.
Any ideas? What will uninstalling and reinstalling Steam do? I've never done it on a already set up system.

Wok

Even Steam reviews could be copy-pasted from one game to the other.

Positive reviews:

A procedurally generated space themed environmental puzzle game with a focus on exploration and navigation. Puzzles are procedurally generated and run the range of obvious and simple to clever and surprising. And sometimes even after the anomaly is solved there will still be things to do and discover on the planet, revealing Easter eggs and other surprises. Once an anomaly is solved you get the right to name the star, as players explore the galaxy and solve anomalies the galaxy fills up with the unique signatures of various astronauts. This is a starkly beautiful game, evocative of the Italian underground indie freeware classic Noctis. The visual themes call back to Kubrick and Tarkovsky's work. This game is all about the journey.

This is the first game capable of allow me to reach a meditative state each time I played it. Therapeutic, unassuming, inspiring.

Negative reviews:

This game is very atmospheric and beautiful, but I feel like it is very short. You feel really lost in the universe, which is good, but once you've figured out the mechanics, the game doesn't have much more to give. Still, it's really enjoyable and it is a good game, but I wouldn't recommend it for XX€, but if you're wondering if you should buy it on sale, I would say go for it.

Not my cup of tea. Graphics are nice. I like the art style. Sound effects are cool. Control is cumbersome but you sort of get used to it. Sort of ... But the puzzle of the first planet is not fun. It doesn't really make any sense. You do things and it eventually works out and you don't even really know why. Keep in mind i complete the first planet only. Maybe it becomes better later on and it eventually makes sense. I just don't have the will to find out. I just don't see any reason to keep going. It's sad cause i wanted to like it. Can't recommend it but i guess if you are really really really into puzzles and space exploration maybe you might like it who knows?

History repeats itself.

SPOILER regarding NMS

Just link to the spoiler thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1254972

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom