• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale 2016 Thread: Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for Christmas Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
wary of making any large purchases like white march expansion since I won't play them before winter sale, and buying things in winter sale gets me sweet sweet holiday cards

Same boat. I want to pick up the Witness but that's 2 cards. That's enough in my mind.

Steam GOTY voting doesn't end until January, normally, right?

denx

High five on your test of time o/

That Counter-Strike award is legit.

0NMhJi7.png

Last one is "best horror game" btw

disappointed!.gif

I haven't had fun with a Steam sale since they removed dailies and the little meta-games. Steam sales are kinda boring now and not nearly the "event" they used to be...so, for me, I usually just kind of go "meh,guess I'll check" but generally never find anything in the magical "60% - 75% discount" range anymore.

Sadly, I'm guessing the format change must be working out well for Steam and devs/publishers or they wouldn't be sticking with it. Main problem is the discounts just aren't as good anymore. I'm far more frequently finding much better deals on physical console games, especially during Black Friday sales. Not the end of the world and I'm sure I just need to look a little more to find a gem or two, but my Steam purchases which used to make my wallet cry 2-3 times a year have pretty much dried up to near zero.

Regginator

Didn't that game launch at 15 bucks? Did they jack it up to 25?

They jacked it to 25, fucking disgusting. It launched at 15, not a penny more, and quite frequently it had 3,74 sales (75% off). I can understand not always discounting it at 75%, but raising the base price by $10??

rtcn63

They jacked it to 25, fucking disgusting. It launched at 15, not a penny more, and quite frequently it had 3,74 sales (75% off). I can understand not always discounting it at 75%, but raising the base price by $10??

BD is showing as $15. $25 is for the combo with Gunslinger?

Regginator

BD is showing as $15. $25 is for the combo with Gunslinger?

Not here (EU) for whatever reason:

screenshot_2dsjw3.png

edit: Ah you're right, when you go to its store page it shows a combo with Gunslinger. Blood Dragon base isn't on sale at all. Still misleading as shit, reminds me of the GTA V sales with those shark codes stuff last year.

i5 4570, 12 GB, and an RX 470... I know, I know, AMD :p . I tried every single fix I could find and nothing. I just gave up and asked for a refund.

Hmm, I've got a big enough GPU with big VRAM, but my processor is an i3. Minimum is an i7, as if that's right at all though.

kevin1025

Banned
Didn't that game launch at 15 bucks? Did they jack it up to 25?

The game by itself isn't on sale, it's only on sale in a bundle with Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. Total War: Rome II is doing something similar in my wishlist, where it looked like it was on sale 50% off, but it turns out it's only on sale in a Total War bundle for that price. Madness!

(Unless we're getting different prices in certain areas maybe?)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I really wanted Stephen's Sausage Rolls to go on sale :(

I don't think I'll be buying anything this sale. The Early Access titles I've bookmarked are either not discounted or are only slightly discounted and still have months to go until they leave EA, the Rocksmith '14 DLC is only 40% off, and there doesn't appear to be any special DLC created for the sale (sometimes an F2P game publisher will release a Summer/Halloween/Winter Sale content pack).

Edit: Star Crusade has a Thanksgiving pack, so there's that.

rtcn63

Blood Dragon is all nostalgia. The gameplay and mechanics themselves were gutted compared to Far Cry 3, so things become repetitive (even more) quickly.

Kifimbo

Gunslinger is a better game than Blood Dragon btw. Fantastic overlooked gem.

I loved both, and for different reasons. Blood Dragon was such a unique experience/setting, while Gunslinger is all about really enjoyable shooting mechanics and great narrative.

Colin.

Since the talk here seems to be about Blood Dragon, friendly reminder that you can currently get it for free on uPlay (yeah, I know) but still, free!

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I second this, one of my all-time favourite games. I may be a bit biased here, since it's a russian game, but it was definitely one of my most memorable gaming experiences in my 20+ years of gaming.

Unfortunately, some of this game's charm was lost in translation - since this game was primarily aimed at russian audience, a lot of "text quests" were pretty hard to adapt to english speakers.

Even though this game is basically four different games in one, it doesn't feel like that's the case. Maybe the RTS part feels just a little out of place though :)

It also aged surprisingly well visually and mechanically, it has a very clean and intuitive interface, and it also supports a variety of resolution options. Once again, the RTS part, being the only part of the game done in 3D, looks a bit dated - all the other parts are 2D, and those tend to age better.

It is one of the rare examples of games where developers had a lot of ambitious ideas, and those ideas worked in the end. Highly recommended :)

I just want to third this. This game is simply a masterpiece.

Tellaerin

Since the talk here seems to be about Blood Dragon, friendly reminder that you can currently get it for free on uPlay (yeah, I know) but still, free!

IIRC, you need to log into uPlay to play it anyway, even if you buy it on Steam, so people might as well just snag the uPlay version.

Ezalc

Thinking about getting Witcher 3 GOTY edition, Wolfenstein New Order, Ori Definitive Edition and System Shock 1.

Any reason to wait on these?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Oh wow, Thanksgiving sale. I know it happens every year but this year I truly forgot about it entirely, lol.

Time to look at my wishlist and see how bad my wallet is going to get hit....

gurm3n

Neo Member
Hello guys! I'm interested in getting Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition but it's not available in my region (Argentina) and I was wondering if there's a chance to get it (via Steam) through a VPN or something similar, and if I'll be able to play it afterwards.
Also, I've seen that it's possible to get the game through Amazon, so I was also wondering if it's possible to activate the key even if it's not available in my region.

Thanks!

Davey Cakes

Thinking about getting Axiom Verge. How is it?
I just started it myself and I've only made it a couple of bosses in, but I'm having a lot of fun. It's definitely a little bit like Metroid. The controls are tight and the weapons varied.

Can't complain for half price.

JaseC

Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Office Battle -- MB-CEC111B556C3FCDE - Taken by septicore
3 Coins at School -- MB-DB158C907E4C2901 - Taken by bobnowhere
Hover Hazard -- MB-6CFE444227FA4EE3 - Taken by madjoki

denx

Hello guys! I'm interested in getting Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition but it's not available in my region (Argentina) and I was wondering if there's a chance to get it (via Steam) through a VPN or something similar, and if I'll be able to play it afterwards.
Also, I've seen that it's possible to get the game through Amazon, so I was also wondering if it's possible to activate the key even if it's not available in my region.

Thanks!

I think someone who lives in the US can gift the game to you. That's how I got DAOUE in Steam.

Samaritan

I'm going to brave Walmart for this! They better have the pc version!

Be sure to look at Walmart's website tonight at 12AM EST when their online sale starts. The PC version of TF2 is listed as part of that $27 promotion, so you might just be in luck and not have to brave the Walmart crowds after all.

J_Viper

And final haul, provided I can stop myself from spending more

Also bought HITMAN

Might double dip on Rise of the Tomb Raider and The Witcher, despite playing through both on console. Also looking at R6 Siege, but it might be too much for a casual like me.

JaseC

Thinking about getting Witcher 3 GOTY edition, Wolfenstein New Order, Ori Definitive Edition and System Shock 1.

Any reason to wait on these?

They may be slightly cheaper during the Winter Sale, which is roughly a month away. I'd just pick up what you can finish in the interim.

Edit: Speaking of, it's a couple of days shorter this year. Interesting.

Edit edit: Regarding the Steam Awards, I wonder if Valve will give the publishers of the winning games some sort of prize. My first thought was a mock trophy and Valve waiving its 30% cut for a month for that specific title.

Indelible

I really wish I am Setsuna had a deeper discount, I want to play it but $30 is a little to steep. Looks like I'am passing on this sale, I have to many unplayed games as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom