• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale 2016 Thread: Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for Christmas Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcx4610

One of the games I picked up was Assassin's Creed Liberation. I'm shocked at how good and how well that game runs. I thought it was a throw away title but I'm really enjoying it. Ubisoft never seems to disappoint on PC ports.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
One of the games I picked up was Assassin's Creed Liberation. I'm shocked at how good and how well that game runs. I thought it was a throw away title but I'm really enjoying it. Ubisoft never seems to disappoint on PC ports.

invisibleface.jpg

But seriously, the AC games are generally pretty great on PC. Liberation and Rogue run much better than their last-gen console counterparts.

kevin1025

Banned
Thanks!

I was about to buy R6, when I remembered I had ordered The Division from Amazon, so that should be a solid/podcast game to rotate with Overwatch.

Hopefully it'll be 20 bucks by winter!

Ah yeah, The Division and Overwatch swapping will keep you busy for a little while, for sure!

BorntoPlay

Offtopic: I win this Custom Built PC on twitter, tell me this is legit, please!?!

9tpZDaa.jpg

Necrovex

A few questions for this sale: 1) How are the two White March expansions for Pillars of Eternity, and 2) How are the two expansions for Cities Skyline? I haven't gotten around to playing either of the base games, but I plan to shortly completing Neverwinter Nights 2.

MikeyB

A few questions for this sale: 1) How are the two White March expansions for Pillars of Eternity, and 2) How are the two expansions for Cities Skyline? I haven't gotten around to playing either of the base games, but I plan to shortly completing Neverwinter Nights 2.

I haven't played either, but ubderstand that the first White March is meh, while the second is quite good.

How is NWN 2? I liked the first one with friends, but would be playing it solo.

Robaperas

Hmm, I've got a big enough GPU with big VRAM, but my processor is an i3. Minimum is an i7, as if that's right at all though.

Mmm... I think you should try it if you have an Nvidia card, the problem is that the game is 44GB, a "bit" big to demo it.

Also, everyone should buy/play INSIDE, finished it in one sitting, I'm still in awe.

Necrovex

I haven't played either, but ubderstand that the first White March is meh, while the second is quite good.

The original campaign is cliche high fantasy, but I'm liking it well enough. I have ample amount of time to burn, so I don't mind the grinds associated with it. I know the expansion, Mask of the Betrayer, is highly praised on Gaf.

NWN2 base is pretty iffy given recent efforts in the genre. It has one real highlight but that's about it. Mechanically the engine has some quirks and rough edges that were never sorted out.

Mask of the Betrayer still holds up really well on the strength of its setting, encounters, and themes and is still worth playing.

SSPssp

Wow, Walmart is totally messed up, not even sure if my order went through. Black Friday fun!

Edit: Showing up now :)

couldn't pass up AoE 2 HD, AoE 3 collect, Age of Mythology, & Rise of Nations collection for 27 bucks (Canadian).

Loved playing these games in the past but (like I mention earlier) lost the discs.

I'm conflicted on the new Deus Ex. The user reviews are all poop.

People are upset because the game isn't what it could have been. It's about as good as Human Revolution, but the story is pretty middling. It also has some major issues with how mediocre it is at handling its themes, but I doubt that plays into any of the Steam reviews. Taken purely as a game, it should have positive ratings. As a new Deus Ex game, it's nothing particularly special.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I found Liberation to be rather boring. Ubi did much better job that I would have guessed sprucing the game up, however due to its handheld origins, the game world is tiny and sparsely populated, and the dress mechanic doesn't live up to its potential as the missions dictate which outfit to wear. Ideally, the decision would have been left up to the player and the missions designed such that they play out somewhat differently based on the outfit choice. I'd like to see the mechanic revisited at some point in a big-budget title.

Does Arkham Asylum GOTY still have SecuRom shitware?

No. It was patched out with the GFWL -> Steamworks update.

NWN2 is superior to NWN in every single way, and its campaign is actually pretty decent; the castle management and having your own domain halfway through the game really makes things very interesting.

Alas, its expansion Mask of the Betrayer is what most people hail as one of the best roleplaying experiences of the 2000s, but as someone who really loved the original game it did not work for me. Being torn from the west coast of Faerun and dropped into Rashemen, which I do not find particularly suited to my tastes, meant I did not force myself to play it for long.. Regardless, I KNOW that the story really picks up and turns into an epic game later on, so don't do the same mistak and play that as well.

Pejo

Bleh, I went through my wishlist for games ~$10 on sale, and there's very few that I really want to jump on. Might skip this entire sale.

I wish I'd have gotten in on some of those Square Enix store mistakes. I was flying at the time and didn't have access. Bummer. Maybe I'll finally nab Slain. Anyone have opinions on it?

Concept17

I need a good RPG. Preferably 3rd person. Cheap. Not Elder Scrolls or Witcher. The more depth the better. Not an old school one.

I'm being too picky, aren't I?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Alpha Protocol.

Well he didnt say "good playing rpg" so AP is a good sugestion.

I would throw in Amalur but I don't know if its cheap right now and im too lazy to check.

Is Rise of the Tomb Raider $35 good?

I'm dying for a mindless open world game right now.
I need a good RPG. Preferably 3rd person. Cheap. Not Elder Scrolls or Witcher. The more depth the better. Not an old school one.

I'm being too picky, aren't I?
Four options off the top of my head:
  1. The Last Remnant
  2. Drakensang: River of Time + Phileasson's Secret
  3. Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  4. Shadowrun: Hong Kong

TLR isn't on sale for some reason. It might be an oversight, it usually is discounted during big sales...

Alpha Protocol is also a good one, as mentioned above. And in that vein, KotOR1/2, and Neverwinter Nights 2 (Mask of the Betrayer mainly).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thinking of buying Lost Planet 1&2...
How to play them?
Are they patched from GFWL to Steamworks?

The situation with Lost Planet is a tad confusing. Lost Planet: Colonies Edition and Lost Planet 2 use GFWL, but the original release of Lost Planet does not, and Lost Planet 3 was originally a Steamworks/GameSpy hybrid for some utterly asinine reason (Capcom ultimately spent around three months bankrolling a GameSpy -> Steamworks patch that really shouldn't have been necessary in the first place). Capcom has no plans to remove GFWL from CE and 2.

Concept17

Is Rise of the Tomb Raider $35 good?

I'm dying for a mindless open world game right now.

Four options off the top of my head:
  1. The Last Remnant
  2. Drakensang: River of Time + Phileasson's Secret
  3. Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  4. Shadowrun: Hong Kong

TLR isn't on sale for some reason. It might be an oversight, it usually is discounted during big sales...

Alpha Protocol is also a good one, as mentioned above. And in that vein, KotOR1/2, and Neverwinter Nights 2 (Mask of the Betrayer mainly).

TLR has always been mentioned to me, but everytime I see it, I get those post FFX vibes that kind of turn me off. Perhaps it's an exception?

I have Shadowrun Returns, but never really put time into it. Is it worth it?

Drakensang might just do it. How tactical is the gameplay? Is it important to use a little strategy, or is it more of a Dragon Age situation where you just kind of throw everyone into the fray and usually win?

Alpha Protocol.

Y'know I actually played this when it came out, but never got around to beating it. I may have to start a new playthrough.

So since I did not respond in time for the last steam thread, here is my about to be built, but will buy steam games this sale anyway for when I finish it, "PC."

CPU: Intel i5-6600K 3.5GHz
M B: Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI
RAM: Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2666C16
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO
PSU: SilverStone SST-SX500-LG
GPU: Nvidia 1070 Reduced length Gigabyte GV-N1070IXOC-8GD
Case: SilverStone Sugo Mini-ITX SST-SG05BB-LITE

Total: ¥138,243 ish. Not counting w/e sales that will be coming or different shops having stuff cheaper.

Basic run down of what I've been recommended and looking at. Live in Japan so don't want some massive PC sitting around for when/if I move again.

Now the real question is... do I rebuy one of my favorite games of this year, DOOM on PC haha.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Bloodlines has always seemed a little too text-heavy for me. I need a little more gameplay in my RPG. Unless I'm missing something.

Theres plenty of gameplay but in that case I go back to my Amalur suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom