• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale 2016 Thread: Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for Christmas Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

sTiTcH AU

Had $20 in my steam wallet that I got as a gift on fathers day. I have been waiting for Assetto corsa to go on sale all this time. Today it goes on sale for $20.99.

feel

Here I was all satisfied with my $5 purchase of something I've been looking to play for a while, Life Is Strange, and then I find out people got it for $1.. :(

Oh well, no biggie.

Oreoleo

Bloodlines has always seemed a little too text-heavy for me. I need a little more gameplay in my RPG. Unless I'm missing something.

No, that's a fair assessment. Most of my enjoyment of VtMB was in the dialogue and seeing how my method of completing quests influenced the plot and relationships with characters. The combat is certainly not the selling point.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
On the contrary, I still have all 50 of them. I'm practically a crazy cat person. ;)

Practically...

Kevin-Spacey.gif

BHK3

Banned
Is there a word for when all your games have 60fps, and flat frametimes, but don't feel nor look like they are 60fps/flat frametimes?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Practically...

Kevin-Spacey.gif

Haha, well, I'm not literally a crazy cat person as I have no cats. Just a dog. And it's not even my dog but rather my brother's. Really, I myself have no pets. Just Pat & Mat. Times 50.

Is there a word for when all your games have 60fps, and flat frametimes, but don't feel nor look like they are 60fps/flat frametimes?

Sluggish. ;) 60fps not feeling like 60fps points to framepacing issues, but frametime analysis would pick up on that.

Drayco21

According to Idle Master, I have like, 120 something card drops remaining.

Maybe I'll end up being able to afford some stuff in this sale after all.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Haha, well, I'm not literally a crazy cat person as I have no cats. Just a dog. And it's not even my dog but rather my brother's. Really, I myself have no pets. Just Pat & Mat. Times 50.

You are 2 koalas and a wombat away from being a full blown crazy ass kangaroo herder.

BHK3

Banned
I don't think you can if your frametimes are indeed consistent. Are you sure it's not input lag?

Can input lag be visual? Like I SEE the game stuttering but every god damn graph looks fine...I have no idea how to even begin troubleshooting this

Try Rivatuner Statistics Server (add the game exe to its list and cap the framerate at 60), or try borderless full screen.

60fps and flat frametimes though...I'm already using that anyway

EVERY game?

Are you on a 144hz monitor by chance?

not every game but most and no fancy monitor here

JaseC

Can input lag be visual? Like I SEE the game stuttering but every god damn graph looks fine...I have no idea how to even begin troubleshooting this

I suppose cases where the delay between you pressing a button and the game responding to the action is visually perceptible counts as visual, though I know that's not the answer you were looking for, haha.

If all else fails, you could try reinstalling Windows.

Teeth

60fps and flat frametimes though...I'm already using that anyway

not every game but most and no fancy monitor here

Can you name some games you are getting it on and some games you are not? I've had some games (like some of the LEGO games and some of the Far Cry games) stutter like mad no matter what I was capping at (I wasn't checking frame times though)/

If you turn off Vsync on the bad games, does it smooth out (with tearing, of course)?

Have you tried turning your computer off and then back on again? :)

BHK3

Banned
I suppose cases where the delay between you pressing a button and the game responding to the action is visually perceptible counts as visual, though I know that's not the answer you were looking for, haha.

If all else fails, you could try reinstalling Windows.

Can you name some games you are getting it on and some games you are not?

If you turn off Vsync on the bad games, does it smooth out (with tearing, of course)?

Have you tried turning your computer off and then back on again? :)

https://youtu.be/L07t_mY2LEU?t=12m45s

Any game I have that's not dota looks like that.

yuraya

Fuckk, I missed out on FFIX on the Square store

Yea those prices were really good. Its a shame they were an error. I had my sights on IX and X but decided to hold out until the Steam sale started. It was too late by then. XIII was only 4$ too it was really crazy.

Its a good lesson for everyone to buy something as soon as something hits record lows and/or seems to good to be true.

TLR has always been mentioned to me, but everytime I see it, I get those post FFX vibes that kind of turn me off. Perhaps it's an exception?

I have Shadowrun Returns, but never really put time into it. Is it worth it?

Drakensang might just do it. How tactical is the gameplay? Is it important to use a little strategy, or is it more of a Dragon Age situation where you just kind of throw everyone into the fray and usually win?

I don't know what "post FFX vibes" are. TLR is basically a JRPG with a rad battle system, taking some ideas from Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre. Look up how the combat works prior to playing, there's some weirdness that can make it harder than it needs to be later in the game.

And as to SR, Returns is the worst of the three Shadowrun games, so dive into it at your own peril. I'd only recommend it to people determined to play through the whole series. Hong Kong and especially Dragonfall are much, much better games.

For Drakensang 2.. it's basically Neverwinter Nights with more jank. Kind of DAO like as far as combat and setup, but you can notice the budget and it feels jankier. Also the translation is pretty bland. But minding the bugbears, it's an interesting game that's one of the only real party-based WRPGs between the KotOR2-DAO dark ages.
(Note that you should download the DLC after the main game--I had some problems otherwise.)

aku:jiki

JaseC, did you ever manage to offload your 50 copies of Pat and Mat?
He's just playing the long game, man. Like I'm doing with all 10 copies I have of each Digital Homicide game. Gnarltoof's Revenge and Temper Tantrum are going to fund my retirement when I sell them to a whale in 20 years.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Two of the Adventure Time games, and the Rambo game, and the Falling Skies games all have massive base price reductions + steep sale discounts. This is often a sign of games that are about to be removed from Steam. Don't know if any of them are good, but in case you're a collector, maybe pounce on them.

He's just playing the long game, man. Like I'm doing with all 10 copies I have of each Digital Homicide game. Gnarltoof's Revenge and Temper Tantrum are going to fund my retirement when I sell them to a whale in 20 years.

Imagine explaining this to your grandkids.

Two of the Adventure Time games, and the Rambo game, and the Falling Skies games all have massive base price reductions + steep sale discounts. This is often a sign of games that are about to be removed from Steam. Don't know if any of them are good, but in case you're a collector, maybe pounce on them.

Damn, I paid like $5 for Falling Skies ages ago after getting in to the TV Series. It's not that terrible.

I'm still playing the long game with my copy of Estetiikka! The dev lost it and sabotaged his own game and was apparently a white supremacist as well.

Rhaknar

Isnt one of the Adventure Time games supposed to be a really good Zelda clone?

AxeMan

This probably isn't the thread for my question but I couldn't see a generic Steam thread.

Anyway, I'll try here.

I created a new steam account but used my normal email address. So I have two accounts tied to the same email address.

My normal Steam account has a load of games in it and I haven't purchase anything for the new account

When I log into the new account on my main PC about half my games appear in the library.
When I log into the new account on a new laptop that has never had Steam on it then I see nothing in the library.

Why would games be appearing on my PC on the new account when I've purchased nothing for it?

Corpekata

Banned
Isnt one of the Adventure Time games supposed to be a really good Zelda clone?

Not really good, but solid. None of them are exceptional.

This probably isn't the thread for my question but I couldn't see a generic Steam thread.

Anyway, I'll try here.

I created a new steam account but used my normal email address. So I have two accounts tied to the same email address.

My normal Steam account has a load of games in it and I haven't purchase anything for the new account

When I log into the new account on my main PC about half my games appear in the library.
When I log into the new account on a new laptop that has never had Steam on it then I see nothing in the library.

Why would games be appearing on me PC on the new account when I've purchased nothing for it?

Are the ones that appear the ones you have installed?

Though I'm surprised they let you create two accounts under 1 email.

AxeMan

No, it has a list of games some that are installed and some that aren't.
I wasn't sure if it would let me create two accounts with the same email but a bit of googling told me it was possible

Teeth

https://youtu.be/L07t_mY2LEU?t=12m45s

Any game I have that's not dota looks like that.

This looks you might be running at a much higher frame rate than your monitor's refresh rate and the games aren't triple buffering properly (ie- using the most recently refreshed buffer), but I could be wrong on that.

Generally, Rivatuner tends to smooth this out for me, but others have gone to great lengths to completely eliminate any variable internal game buffer swap times. There was a thread on GAF about it a while back....I think it involves combining Rivatuner with nVidia control panel settings plus something else.

A couple of other things you maybe have already tried:
-Turn off Vsync and capping your framerate to 59 (or 119 on a 120Hz monitor)
- Reducing your "render ahead frames (or pre-rendered frames)" to 1 (though this will likely only help with input lag rather than stutter).

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I think I'm going to grab all 3 Re;birth Neptunia games and that will be it. Gave the first one a shot on the Vita, didn't like it that much, but performance was one of the reasons. Hopefully it will make me laugh if I give it enough time.

Was thinking about buying Hitman, but even after watching almost all Giant Bomb video features with it, I feel 0 drive to actually play it.

JaseC

No, it has a list of games some that are installed and some that aren't.
I wasn't sure if it would let me create two accounts with the same email but a bit of googling told me it was possible

Did you enable Family Sharing?

Eila

A solid zelda clone is still nothing to sneeze at, its not like those are growing in trees.

Which one is it?

This one looks pretty Zelda. Finally they matched PS Vita price. I'll buy that for a dollar.

I also have The Longest Journey + Dreamfall on cart. Seems like last time they went any cheaper was several years ago, like many other older games. Doesn't seem to have a high chance to have them appear in some bundle so might as well.

AxeMan

Sorry, you're right. The ones I have installed are appearing.
That still shouldn't be happening right?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Is there a hidden gems thread for cheap short games this time around?

I said this a while ago but to re-emphasize:

I usually tackle the hidden gems thread for Steam Sales, but right now I'm too busy crunching development on my own couple little game projects so I couldn't be attentive towards it right now.

If anyone wants to tackle the Hidden Gems thread for this sale, feel free too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom