• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale 2016 Thread: Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for Christmas Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

WshELwJ.png

I think it is more the process of copy-pasting into that Steam dialog box which gets tiresome.

After my experience with The Witcher 3, I realized that I indeed place combat and mechanics over everything else. TW3 was incredible in pretty much every way... except the combat and mechanics, which were mediocre IMO. It really took away from my enjoyment of an otherwise great game.

You will like Dogma then, it has better combat/gameplay but literally everything else is worse than TW3. I personally enjoyed Dogma more than TW3 but TW3 is obviously the better game.

What a tease Dragon's Dogma, I know the artbook was for pre-orders only but to leave it on the DLC list with no option to purchase it kinda stinks

After my experience with The Witcher 3, I realized that I indeed place combat and mechanics over everything else. TW3 was incredible in pretty much every way... except the combat and mechanics, which were mediocre IMO. It really took away from my enjoyment of an otherwise great game.

All three Witcher games have been an incredibly tedious chore to play for me. I just can't make it through the barrier that is horrible controls. Especially the first game.

BadWolf

You are in for a treat with Dragon's Dogma then, it easily has the best combat in any action rpg ever.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
What a tease Dragon's Dogma, I know the artbook was for pre-orders only but to leave it on the DLC list with no option to purchase it kinda stinks

Welcome to Capcom. To this day, every single RE game pre-order has stayed exclusive to pre-orders (usually it' a mini soundtrack and a pdf art book). I know DD was the full soundtrack and art book to my memory, so it's a shame they didn't make it DLC.

rtcn63

My main beef with Dragon's Dogma is that the Warrior can only equip like half the skills of every other class. He's strong as fuck, but still.

Good, good. Was going to say, if the reason you came to W3 (like I did) was for the excellent narrative bits weaved through every little bit of side quest and the overall storytelling, you'll be extremely let down. Again, the gameplay is so good it offsets everything else, but DD is a very deeply flawed game.

New format are you referring to the removal of dailies or the fact that they now allow publishers to set different prices for each sale?

Both, really. The sales have been more stagnant between where they used to be more volatile. Waiting for dailies was a cornerstone, but waiting for winter was a smart bet. Now, it seems the sale you see in summer is what you see in winter with little variance. The change is usually in a game that was newly released around summer.

What's the word on Bulletstorm? Did they ever remove that GFWL tumor? Playable?

Jimrpg

Might be the first Steam Sale I pass up on. Was looking to get some stuff on my top 10 wishlist, but I have so many games already that I bought this year and Q1 is going to be insane. I'm also finding if the price is not right, I'm just going to dive into my back log and play something similar, ie no sale on Parkitect or Planet Coaster so I might just play Roller Coaster Tycoon 1/2/3 instead.

Some of the Steam Bundles were extremely well priced. I think I saw the Total War 2014 collection for RM50 (US$25?), includes 7 Total War games including Total War Rome II Emperor edition which is RM105 ($50) normally.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Might be the first Steam Sale I pass up on. Was looking to get some stuff on my top 10 wishlist, but I have so many games already that I bought this year and Q1 is going to be insane. I'm also finding if the price is not right, I'm just going to dive into my back log and play something similar, ie no sale on Parkitect or Planet Coaster so I might just play Roller Coaster Tycoon 1/2/3 instead.

Some of the Steam Bundles were extremely well priced. I think I saw the Total War 2014 collection for RM50 (US$25?), includes 7 Total War games including Total War Rome II Emperor edition which is RM105 ($50) normally.

It's the first Steam Sale I'm skipping on, money is tight this month for me and the Winter Sale is literally right around the corner, plus I'm busy doing crunchwork for a game of mine, but not to say these sales are bad.

About Dragon's Dogma: I don't really care for the story, but what about the exploration? Is the world in DD interesting to explore?

All three Witcher games have been an incredibly tedious chore to play for me. I just can't make it through the barrier that is horrible controls. Especially the first game.

I've tried the first game multiple times and I always give up after an hour or two because the controls are so bad. Is it still bad in TW2 and TW3?

Grief.exe

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is on sale for $12. I've been craving a new action RPG after playing Dark Souls 3 and The Witcher 3... is this the one I should get? I've heard good things about it.

Do it fam

V144VSn.gif

Looking forward to seeing screenshots of all the redhead characters people who are buying Dragons Dogma will be creating.

After making your redhead everyone should install the mod to remove the watermark from photo mode screenshots.

You can also do it with GEDOSATO.

I had it set for swipe down on DS4 was remove UI, swipe up screenshot

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is on sale for $12. I've been craving a new action RPG after playing Dark Souls 3 and The Witcher 3... is this the one I should get? I've heard good things about it.

You might as well sign up for Humble Monthly instead, for one month. That is also $12, and you'll get another 5 games on top of DD:DA.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
About Dragon's Dogma: I don't really care for the story, but what about the exploration? Is the world in DD interesting to explore?

I've tried the first game multiple times and I always give up after an hour or two because the controls are so bad. Is it still bad in TW2 and TW3?

The world in Dragon's Dogma isn't all that interesting to explore but you are rewarded with items for exploring every nook and cranny of an area. The appeal is much more in how fun the combat is. Even running and jumping feels better than most games in the genre. Oh, and if you're constantly searching for loot your companion will learn that is how you should behave and will abandon combat randomly to open a chest and yell about how proud they are with themselves.

Witcher 2 and 3 are basically entirely different games from the first one. The controls and general structure changed significantly with each release. Your experience with the controls will vary from "this is fine" to being offended by the game's very existence, based on reactions I've seen. I thought they were fine.

ggx2ac

My main beef with Dragon's Dogma is that the Warrior can only equip like half the skills of every other class. He's strong as fuck, but still.

It's not that bad having only three skills. The warrior doesn't have many good skills in the first place. That's why I relied on jumping attacks as my main method of attack because of ferocity and eminence.

By endgame, I've only had indomitable lunge and upward strike as useful abilities while arc of deliverance was just to have fun but not anymore useful compared to dealing heavy damage with calamitous lunge.

Edit: I'd probably remove arc of deliverance and use pommel bash instead but you can get that effect of reeling the enemy when using the end attack of indomitable lunge.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do the rewards nomination reset every day?

That wouldn't make any sense as the winners will be announced in December, probably when the Winter Sale starts as it'd be the perfect occasion to shine a light on the games (this would also explain why Valve didn't commit to a date as it doesn't announce sales ahead of time), though nominations aren't locked in until the sale is over.

Yeah, I'll have to look a little more but I don't think I'll get anything for this sale. Mostly since I just got Hitman on sale and am still playing BF1 way too much to the detriment of finishing the Witcher 3 expansions.

I'd mostly be looking for a sale on Deus Ex, Tyranny or Planet Coaster but since those are all newer releases I'm not expecting anything major.

My rule for the Autumn sale has always just been "Am I going to play this between now and the Winter Sale?" If yes, then I'll buy it, if not then I'll just wait a month or so when it'll likely be on sale again and probably even cheaper.

The world in Dragon's Dogma isn't all that interesting to explore but you are rewarded with items for exploring every nook and cranny of an area. The appeal is much more in how fun the combat is. Even running and jumping feels better than most games in the genre.

Yeah, I played a demo and combat is awesome! It is the reason I got interested in the game, but I'm a bit worried about the exploration. Since it's all about the action, don't all the fighting get old after a while?

Witcher 2 and 3 are basically entirely different games from the first one. The controls and general structure changed significantly with each release. Your experience with the controls will vary from "this is fine" to being offended by the game's very existence, based on reactions I've seen. I thought they were fine.

I have TW2 in my library, but I never tried it because I didn't like the first game. If they're so different, I think I'll give it a try.

Thanks!

Nabs

Are the M+K controls bad? I don't own a controller for PC.

I use Mouse + Controller (Steam Controller) and the mouse feels really good. I don't know how good the keyboard shortcuts are set up (or how much customizing can be done), but I wouldn't be too worried. They also have extra hotkeys for kb, making certain inventory items super easy to reach.

mikemandey

Looking for a game to play before the release date of FF XV. Preferably one that can be finished in 10-15 hours...

DOOM

Is it worth it for single player alone? Not interested in the multiplayer at all..

Tizoc

Looking for a game to play before the release date of FF XV. Preferably one that can be finished in 10-15 hours...

DOOM

Is it worth it for single player alone? Not interested in the multiplayer at all..
That game is praisd for its aingle player actually :p

TDLink

DOOM

Yeah, but make sure your rig can run it without blowing up.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
That wouldn't make any sense as the winners will be announced in December, probably when the Winter Sale starts as it'd be the perfect occasion to shine a light on the games (this would also explain why Valve didn't commit to a date as it doesn't announce sales ahead of time), though nominations aren't locked in until the sale is over.

The Steam sale is normally about 14 days; assume they devote one day to each award and the remaining days to the 9th, fan entered awards that they pick. Ta-da, you have a Christmas sale theme.

Duxxy3

Picked up Fire Watch and COD MW:2 (I have never actually owned this).

Thinking about the new Deus Ex, but I'm wary of a mid-game stealth description.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I bought Hyper Light Drifter at full price because I watched the Vice documentary about its development and noticed that a developer's Steam login info was clearly visible when the camera happened to catch Steam's command line interface, at which point curiosity got the better of me and I tried to log into the Steamworks Product Data site using the info in hopes of being able to poke around, only to be stopped by Steam Guard, which I'd figured was a distinct possibility. I felt bad, so I bought the Soundtrack Edition and sent the devs an e-mail explaining why one of them would have received a Steam Guard e-mail a short while ago mentioning attempted access from an Australian IP.

There's your fun story for the day.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Yeah, I played a demo and combat is awesome! It is the reason I got interested in the game, but I'm a bit worried about the exploration. Don't all the fighting get old after a while?

The combat evolves, you can switch up your character class for little cost once you get past a few story missions (but don't rush the story quests, there's a lot to do even in your small starting village and the experience will definitely help) to keep things fresh too. You're fighting a large variety of enemies along the way and seeing new monsters can replace some of the wonder of finding a new area. You generally want to avoid wandering off too far from a quest objective because the enemies can get incredibly difficult and there's no scaling to your level. There's always the option to run though, especially if you don't care about your pawns.

Wok

I bought Hyper Light Drifter at full price because I watched the Vice documentary about its development and noticed that a developer's Steam login info was clearly visible when the camera happened to catch Steam's command line interface, at which point curiosity got the better of me and I tried to log into the Steamworks Product Data site using the info in hopes of being able to poke around only to be stopped by Steam Guard, which I'd figured was a distinct possibility. I felt bad, so I bought the Soundtrack Edition and sent the devs an e-mail explaining why one of them would have received a Steam Guard e-mail a short while ago mentioning attempted access from an Australian IP.

I did not know you were a hacker.

I bought Hyper Light Drifter at full price because I watched the Vice documentary about its development and noticed that a developer's Steam login info was clearly visible when the camera happened to catch Steam's command line interface, at which point curiosity got the better of me and I tried to log into the Steamworks Product Data site using the info in hopes of being able to poke around, only to be stopped by Steam Guard, which I'd figured was a distinct possibility. I felt bad, so I bought the Soundtrack Edition and sent the devs an e-mail explaining why one of them would have received a Steam Guard e-mail a short while ago mentioning attempted access from an Australian IP.

;)

I use Mouse + Controller (Steam Controller) and the mouse feels really good. I don't know how good the keyboard shortcuts are set up (or how much customizing can be done), but I wouldn't be too worried. They also have extra hotkeys for kb, making certain inventory items super easy to reach.

Excellent. I've heard people complain about playing Dark Souls 3 with M+K, but I didn't mind.

Buying Dragon's Dogma now.

Lux R7

Yeah, I played a demo and combat is awesome! It is the reason I got interested in the game, but I'm a bit worried about the exploration. Since it's all about the action, don't all the fighting get old after a while?

I have TW2 in my library, but I never tried it because I didn't like the first game. If they're so different, I think I'll give it a try.

Thanks!

the exploration is there, from the very start of the game. The world is full of loot (and you'll maybe find yourself searching the same spots because many chests have a % chance to have a specific treasure)
Also, no, the combat doesn't get old and you can change class whenever you want to try different styles.

Good sale, $45.95 got me:

Wolfenstein: The New Order
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
Singularity
Bulletstorm
Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate
Costume Quest 2
The Walking Dead (Season 2)
Tales from the Borderlands
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered

dorxan

Neo Member
What's the word on Bulletstorm? Did they ever remove that GFWL tumor? Playable?
Forever locked on GFWL I'm afraid.
You can still play it without the client by downloading xlive.dll (check out the PC gaming wiki), otherwise you might want to wait for the remaster coming next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom