• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale 2016 Thread: Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for Christmas Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't really played an RPG in a while, well besides Xenoblade Chronlicles X, but I'm looking at Steam for a fun JRPG. My fave RPGs are like Baten Kaitos, Tales of Symphonia, Golden Sun. Not too cheesy witht he anime dialogue, a nice story and a fun battle system + good music is a plus. Anything that's good on sale right now? I know Trails in the Sky gets a lot of praise here, I'm contemplating but I don't know much about the genre and what's available on PC.

Knurek

I haven't really played an RPG in a while, well besides Xenoblade Chronlicles X, but I'm looking at Steam for a fun JRPG. My fave RPGs are like Baten Kaitos, Tales of Symphonia, Golden Sun. Not too cheesy witht he anime dialogue, a nice story and a fun battle system + good music is a plus. Anything that's good on sale right now? I know Trails in the Sky gets a lot of praise here, I'm contemplating but I don't know much about the genre and what's available on PC.

Just get Trails in the Sky.
Start thinking of getting other games when you finish Trails in the Sky.
There's no need to play anything other than Trails in the Sky.

TDLink

• Final Fantasy X/X-2
  • Tales of Zestiria
  • Grandia 2
  • I am Setsuna

Doom was like 67% off yesterday, hopefully it still is today.

I know GAF was crazy about that game months ago, but what make it so special? Because it plays like an old school shooter from the 90s?

So the key basic things that make it tons of fun to play are (a) no cover mechanics, stop-n-pop aiming, or regenerating health means there is *zero* benefit to standing still or going to hide behind cover. You should always be moving. (b) You want health or ammo? It's inside of the enemies. GO GET IT.

Seriously, making melee kills or chainsaw kills poop out health and ammo totally changes the tempo of the game.

It's also got nicely convoluted level design that plays with verticality and doubling back on itself a lot more than most "corridor shooters" today. It also rewards swapping weapons (certain weapons are clearly designed to be best against certain enemies... not in terms of actual damage output varying across target but more in terms of how they work r.e. range, splash, RoF etc), rather than "find the assault rifle you like and use it 99% of the time" which you get with a lot of shooters.

Not to mention the engine runs amazingly well for the most part and will look great on even a moderate machine.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Baten Kaitos the best. That's my all time fav. It's a strategy RPG, but Valkyria Chronicles is about $7 if you want to check that out. It's really good. Tales of Symphonia is on Steam too, if you want to revisit it at all. Tales of Zestiria is the only other on on there, though Beseria is coming day and date.

Sch1sm

https://www.microsoftstore.com/stor...rs-of-War-4-for-Xbox-One/productID.5061285700

Gears of War 4 is 50% off on Win10 Store, it includes all Gears games on 360 and it's crossplay.

Partially cross play, anyway. X1 and PC won't be put together in multiplayer versus modes, unless they're private or bot matches. Can coop and horde together, though.

...also, now seeing your edit, there isn't a chance at all they'll bring it to Steam. Why do that when Microsoft can keep all profit to themselves?

Cleve

I bought a second steam link for the bedroom seeing as they're only $20. I wonder if there's an updated version coming any time soon. That seems really cheap.

Ludens

Banned
Partially cross play, anyway. X1 and PC won't be put together in multiplayer versus modes, unless they're private or bot matches. Can coop and horde together, though.

...also, now seeing your edit, there isn't a chance at all they'll bring it to Steam. Why do that when Microsoft can keep all profit to themselves?

Dunno, but Quantum Break released on Steam.

Doom or the MGS V: Definitive Experience?

It depends. Both are good games (well, MGSV is more than good in my opinion), on Doom there's the SP campaign and that's it if you don't play online. It's good, enjoyable, but when it's over it's over (around 10 hours, let's say).
MGSV is huge, you can spend easily 150 hours to complete the SP only, there is MGO which is fun to play but plagued by cheaters, FOB invasions are nice for a while too.
The DE comes with Ground Zeroes, which is very good but bloody short,

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

If you like Xenoblade and Xenoblade Chronicles X, you will like Trails in the Sky. Just play it.

Teppic

Evoland 2 isn't exactly a JRPG, but it plays like one. Overworld, towns, dungeons. It's just that sometimes it's a 2D platformer, or a top-down Zelda, or a puzzle game, and many more genres. Good music, okay story, pretty funny at times. Includes time travel. Highly recommended.

Gren

Finally bought Rise of the Tomb Raider complete (Steam key) fr Gamestop cuz it was a bit cheaper & I had some gift cards that I would've used towards Steam vouchers anyways.

How's the online population for Endurance mode co-op on PC (West Coast if it helps)? Along with the TR3 throwback outfit, it's kind of the most appealing part of all the DLC.

Sch1sm

Dunno, but Quantum Break released on Steam.

Quantum Break isn't exactly a franchise that Microsoft has been relying on since 2005 like Gears, or even earlier, Halo. Unless sales were so subpar they had to offer the game to new market options.

Can dream, though. I don't see it happening, but I'm no psychic.

You know what I wish was on Steam? Rare Replay.

---

I love how Hearts of Iron IV Field Marshall edition isn't marked down at all, but the only genuinely relevant thing in it is, so just buying Cadet Edition + Expansion 1 comes out to be a fair bit cheaper. What's the point, Paradox.

Just get Trails in the Sky.
Start thinking of getting other games when you finish Trails in the Sky.
There's no need to play anything other than Trails in the Sky.

• Final Fantasy X/X-2
  • Tales of Zestiria
  • Grandia 2
  • I am Setsuna

Baten Kaitos the best. That's my all time fav. It's a strategy RPG, but Valkyria Chronicles is about $7 if you want to check that out. It's really good. Tales of Symphonia is on Steam too, if you want to revisit it at all. Tales of Zestiria is the only other on on there, though Beseria is coming day and date.

If you like Xenoblade and Xenoblade Chronicles X, you will like Trails in the Sky. Just play it.

Evoland 2 isn't exactly a JRPG, but it plays like one. Overworld, towns, dungeons. It's just that sometimes it's a 2D platformer, or a top-down Zelda, or a puzzle game, and many more genres. Good music, okay story, pretty funny at times. Includes time travel. Highly recommended.

Thanks for the many suggestions! <3 I'll just get TiTs for now then, but I'll keep an eye on the ofher suggestions if I want some more RPG goodness.

Sch1sm

They're getting refunded and revoked so you didn't miss anything

Just the thought of $16 Civ has me feeling some type of way.

On the plus side, since they're being attached to AMD cards for the Holiday Season, there's gonna be plenty of them in circulation so price will definitely drop. Think they're hovering around the $30 mark on Reddit as is.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Anomaly 2 -- MB-32C5BE1772835AD6 - Taken by PaulSane. 1 entrants total.

t1480097098z1.png
A spare, enjoy.

mad max. is this game good? price is good
msgv

MAd MAx is enjoyable, yet very formulaic with virtually no peaks/valleys. It's one decent level of engagement forever (seemingly) and nothing really ever stands out as memorable or special outside of building Max's car, the explosions (from an aesthetic standpoint), the look of the overworld and the storms. The combat (hand-to-hand and car) is shallow, but somewhat enjoyable, side missions are somewhat engaging, and the overall acquisition of car augments and resources is somewhat satisfying, but it's mostly just inoffensive.

I liken it to a good clicker game, yet instead of just clicking, you've got fighting and car combat and looting scrap, all to make the numbers (car upgrades) go up faster and higher.

If you only care about gameplay, MGSV is one of the best stealth action games.

PantsuJo

Recommendations for local coop/splitscren video games for STEAM/PC?
I'd say Kung Fu Strike for some good furious punching action in local with a friend.

Also, I don't remember if Assault Android Cactus has local coop but it's awesome...

Other suggestions, GAF?

rtcn63

Doom or the MGS V: Definitive Experience?

Either will clinch on whether you love the individual gameplay. I stopped playing Doom about 3/4ths through, but put over 100 hours in MGSV. I'm sure for many people, it's the vice-versa. Watch some youtube videos.

Sch1sm

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1319165.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Sch1sm, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

TIS 100 -- MB-D049963F58B4965B - Taken by Lashley. 2 entrants total.

t1480097646z1.png

I forgot if TIS-100 - KEY/humble url would result in the giveaway being messed up, so if anyone can refresh me on that, that'd be lovely.

Tizoc

thinking about

shenzen i/o, only 10% off but looks like my kind of game
mad max. is this game good? price is good
unity of command
natural soccer
msgv
gtav
projects cars

I'm not even sure what I want... something fun with good gameplay. story doesn't matter to me.
Mad mad is repetitive but it is fun for the first 10-20'hours before you get bored playing it 1/3 of the way thru

Recommendations for local coop/splitscren video games for STEAM/PC?
Dungeons n dragons chroincles of mystara get my vote
Metal slug 1-3 and x are worth getting too

Sch1sm

thinking about

shenzen i/o, only 10% off but looks like my kind of game

Been really debating Shenzen I/O myself. If you do get it, and play it, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. I'm letting it wait 'cause my cart's looking like a fair bit of a time sink as is.

TheMan

btw, i bought chivalry for 3 bucks and it's great so far. Haven't had this much fun with melee combat since spending hours playing no force saber duels in jedi knight II. man, i can't believe it's been well over a decade since I fired that game up.

PantsuJo

Dungeons n dragons chroincles of mystara get my vote
Metal slug 1-3 and x are worth getting too

Indeed and I just remembered a gem: Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds is on Steam! Such good 2D action game! The local coop is damn funny (and the devs recently add online coop too)

It's silly that the Witcher 3 DLC, as someone that owns the base game, is so expensive compared to the GOTY edition. But just buying the GOTY edition still costs more than buying the DLC, though is much cheaper than buying everything separate.

GAHHHHHHHH. This wouldn't be a problem if they put the actual expansion pass on sale, but NOOOOooo.

Skinpop

Been really debating Shenzen I/O myself. If you do get it, and play it, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. I'm letting it wait 'cause my cart's looking like a fair bit of a time sink as is.

just fired it up. only 5 minutes into the game but the impression I can give now is that it's a more fleshed out TIS-100 with a workplace sim aspect.
love that you still get the microchip specs as a big PDF manual. I obviously can't say much more at the moment but I'm feeling very good about this.

bigzgod

Just an fyi but while gamestop has fixed the $15 price on Hitman, you can still buy the Intro Pack for $3.74 and Upgrade Pack for $12.49, which is only slightly more than the original price of $15.

Richie

Should have bought Valve Complete Pack, it's not very expensive and it comes with a shitton of great games. All the Half Life games are worth playing if you're into FPS.

The Valve Complete Pack did indeed seem like a hell of a lot of bang for one's buck, sadly my particular buck is rather tight at the moment. and I aint' got much FPS experience so I'm getting my feet wet with this haul. Far as I understand it, even if I already own some titles in a bundle, I still get a discount out of the ones I don't own if I buy them there, right? I'm keeping this Pack in mind, Half Life is another major lacuna in my gaming life.

Excellent start. Once you're through those (and it will take some time) I highly recommend The Witness (and don't ever be pressured to buy anything on sale, it WILL be on sale for that price again in the future).

Thanks, duly noted! Especially because looking it up I come to realize it's from the creator of Braid, which is another title I just gotta try in the near future.

Congrats on the purchases. Don't let the Portal games sit in your backlog. Make sure to play them asap. They are amazing.

Also some food for thought on the Portal games. The Steam reviews for both Portal and Portal 2 make them the best reviewed games on Steam. Nothing comes close to them. At least I don't believe anything touches them based on quantity of reviews and percentage.

Portal = 28k reviews and 98% overwhelmingly positive
Portal 2 = 78k reviews and 98% overwhelmingly positive

Everyone needs to buy and play those games.

Kinda sad Valve never made Portal 3 :(

It's astounding, in the best of ways, just how favored the games are, especially Portal 2. Something I'm really liking in Steam is just how involved the community is. The Metacritic scores are there if you wanna take a gander at what the press' got to say, but it's the average Joe and Jane's opinions that I'm paying most attention to.

Great call. I loved that game. Stick around the Steam thread if you need any recommendations or to get talked into buying something you weren't going to.

Like Hitman, which, if it doesn't go through, will be the second time I lose out on a good price while it's in my cart.

I sure will! Both to gush out about my purchases and decide which will be the next ones. Did Hitman go through?

aku:jiki

I miss the dailies. All the excitement is gone. :(

On the plus side Im done with the sale quicker than before.
GMG is actually running the Classic Steam Sale Simulator 2016 right now over on their site. They've got dailies and they keep making price mistakes every single day, and the discounts are pretty excellent.

For example, Ori and the Blind Forest for £7.49 with another 10% off with the voucher and you get a bonus game with it:

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/ori-and-the-blind-forest-definitive-edition/

(Also, this is sadly fixed now, but on the first day of the sale, their bonus game system was broken and it was giving out the top-tier games like candy on Halloween. I got 3 free copies of Alien: Isolation, 1 copy of Titanfall and 1 copy of this semi-expensive indie called Reign of Bullets.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom